Let's Face it, Disney has turned Value Rooms at AKL into almost a scam.

Frederic Civish

“I’m just here for the Ears.”
DVC Gold
I'm not complaining here. I just am recognizing the facts. I sometimes rent out points and people are ALWAYS asking for a Value Studio at Jambo House. Or friends.

But Value rooms are almost never available. As far as I am concerned, Disney has turned it into something of a scam, in order to sell DVC by saying things like "And if you get tired of your own Resort, you could ALWAYS get a value room at Animal Kingdom. Only 8 points for some nights!!!" Of course Disney KNOWS that there are only about a dozen value rooms and thousands and thousands of owners who would love to use them, if they could.

So what is the Reality on Value Studio availability? Between now and the end of the year, there are only 4 single days (separate) where a value studio is available. 2 separate days in April. Then there is ONE DAY in July, ONE DAY in August and that is it!!!! In other words, here it is January 11th and all the Value Studios are booked out for the entire rest of the year, except for FOUR SINGLE DAYS. Amazing.

Yes, I believe it! Thank you for clarifying it. Sorry to trouble you, just thought I would give it a shot. Got a value room once many years ago......

When we went on a tour about 10 years ago the guide made it seem we would have no issue using points at our preferred resort (BCV) even though they were selling AKV. She also would not or could not admit that BLT, which was under construction, was a DVC.

After our experience, I just assumed that the guides do not always paint a realistic picture.

I wouldn't call it a scam though I wish the salespeople would be a bit more upfront about it. It didn't take much research to learn that if you want a shot at the value studios you need to own at AKV (there are 18 value studios). Easier to get than the club rooms though. I've been fortunate enough to have been able to book value studios a few times. I'm considering dropping my value studio for Sept at the 7 month mark but it's hard to walk away from the low point cost. The 2021 charts make them even cheaper.

Not that it makes a lot of difference, but the value rooms are currently out of service due to the refurbishment of some of the regular AKL rooms in that area...so some of the next few months is due to thst,

I understand frustration and sure, DvC Guides are going to point that out, but I think saying they are telling potential buyers you can always get it is a bit of a stretch.

I think the fact they are booked simply means they are popular and due to how cheap they are, I am not sure why anyone expect them not to be booked right at 11 months years round,

Although, I got lucky and secured 3 nights in one a few months back for my end of March trip, But then changed it out the next day because I really don’t like the resort and staying there, no matter how cheap, makes no sense for me...plus, I know so many other people would enjoy it much more!

I guess I've been super lucky. I have always gotten value studios or value 2-BRs for every trip. In fact, I just had three value studios over Thanksgiving last year, and I'll be in a value studio for 7 nights this November. They aren't impossible, but you have to work for them.

Not that it makes a lot of difference, but the value rooms are currently out of service due to the refurbishment of some of the regular AKL rooms in that area...so some of the next few months is due to thst,

I understand frustration and sure, DvC Guides are going to point that out, but I think saying they are telling potential buyers you can always get it is a bit of a stretch.

I think the fact they are booked simply means they are popular and due to how cheap they are, I am not sure why anyone expect them not to be booked right at 11 months years round,

Although, I got lucky and secured 3 nights in one a few months back for my end of March trip, But then changed it out the next day because I really don’t like the resort and staying there, no matter how cheap, makes no sense for me...plus, I know so many other people would enjoy it much more!
I agree. I don't think they are a scam, and I don't think guides are pointing to them for sales. Personally, they are my favorite. I travel solo most times, and there is plenty of room. I love the double sinks when there are 2 of us, or even when there isn't. The location in the resort is great (no long halls), near elevator to get to pool or the Mara, etc. Yes, I wish I could get them more often, but am glad I have been able to get them when I have. Other than SSR and OKW, I don't know of anything that is easy to get anymore. I think being able to book online has increased the competition. I LOVE being able to book online, but that certainly makes it easy to snap up whatever you see, when you see it, if you have available points to do so.

I guess I've been super lucky. I have always gotten value studios or value 2-BRs for every trip. In fact, I just had three value studios over Thanksgiving last year, and I'll be in a value studio for 7 nights this November. They aren't impossible, but you have to work for them.
Yes, I have also had value rooms, but generally, you need to hit it at the stroke of 11 months, for several days in a row, and then walk it.

True. I walked the three rooms at Thanksgiving only because we were planning on going in October and then our family’s schedules changed and we had to move it to Thanksgiving. But the seven nights this November I grabbed each day the day after due to other people walking. All of our other trips have been made at exactly 11 months out.

So what is the Reality on Value Studio availability? Between now and the end of the year, there are only 4 single days (separate) where a value studio is available. 2 separate days in April. Then there is ONE DAY in July, ONE DAY in August and that is it!!!! In other words, here it is January 11th and all the Value Studios are booked out for the entire rest of the year, except for FOUR SINGLE DAYS. Amazing.

I guess I'm a part of the problem. I have 4 nights booked up at a value studio next year. Must've gotten lucky because I was able to book 3 immediately and waitlisted the last one. No walking needed.

I As far as I am concerned, Disney has turned it into something of a scam, in order to sell DVC by saying things like "And if you get tired of your own Resort, you could ALWAYS get a value room at Animal Kingdom. Only 8 points for some nights!!!"

If my guide told me that, I'd be pissed off too. Mine was pretty straight forward though. If anything he kept trying to push us up in points.

Sorry for the likely stupid question, but what is "walking"?

Booking a reservation for dates earlier than you want And then modifying the reservation to move it to end up at what you want.

Some rooms are hard to get at 11 months, so if one sees it for booking, people will reserve it and move.

I am doing this for a BWV SV studio for Xmas/NYE next year, I happened to luck into one last week, and are now moving it forward each week until I get it for my dates.

I don't ask this question to be snarky, I am sincerely not sure of the answer: if I want to go to WDW, say, 1-2 times per year, why would I at this point purchase DVC? Even at that rate, even staying at a premium resort, aren't I spending FAR more money to buy into DVC than just booking the trip through a travel agent?

I don't ask this question to be snarky, I am sincerely not sure of the answer: if I want to go to WDW, say, 1-2 times per year, why would I at this point purchase DVC? Even at that rate, even staying at a premium resort, aren't I spending FAR more money to buy into DVC than just booking the trip through a travel agent?

If I priced out my AKL christmas stay it cost me a total 782 dollars to stay in club level studio from 12/23-12/26. that includes the initial buyin and annual dues for the 84 points. I think thats a pretty big savings over what disney would have charged for 3 nights over christmas.

Last edited:
If I priced out my AKL christmas stay it cost me a total 782 dollars to stay in club level studio from 12/23-12/26. that includes the initial buyin and annual does for the 84 points. I think thats a pretty big savings over what disney would have charged for 3 nights over christmas.

Thanks for that...are you annualizing your initial buy in? Like, how many dollars are you counting from that towards this trip?

Thanks for that...are you annualizing your initial buy in? Like, how many dollars are you counting from that towards this trip?
Yea I divided initial buy in by Points x years left. I than added annual Dues and multiplied that by the number of points needed. Your price will be a little higher since I bought AKL a few years ago when prices were in the 70's.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter