Let's Rediscover the Magic! - New TR 7/26

I know I've heard reports from you're in full control, to you're in control, but only to a certain point that total failure isn't an option. I think there's got to be some type of fail safe to make it somewhat "idiot proof" but I'll be interested to see how much, if any, we can influence it as time passes and we see more.

I had CMs who told me they actually crashed the Falcon so it may be possible.

It's Starting to Get Real!

So... I mentioned that ordering MagicBands wasn't fun.

It wasn't.

We had selected our colors, but then I started seeing rumors that they were going to be allowing upgrades to other bands at a discounted price. Since we have purchased the kids Star Wars and Frozen bands before, we thought this might be a good opportunity to get something different for this trip. I was doing my best to keep up with the latest news and follow the bread crumbs when this news hit. The day the bands came out, I looked at them and tried to get an idea of what we might all be interested in. That evening we sat down with the kids and everyone picked the bands they wanted. I tried to select them and kept getting error messages on MDE with a phone number to call for help. We had already had a busy evening so it was late when we got around to doing this. I was tired so instead of calling Disney that night I figured I'd mess with it the next day. By the time we were able to follow up on this, I came to find out they were already out of some of the bands we wanted and some of the solid colored bands weren't even available now.

So yeah... their rollout left a bitter taste in my mouth.

We're working with a TA and she was very helpful and called Disney a few times just to follow up and check on the situation for me and see if we could get anything different. Major credit to her for going above and beyond, but MDE and Disney IT are pretty much curse words as far as I'm concerned. Another thing that concerned me was that after we failed to get the graphic bands we wanted, MDE wasn't even showing me what colors we had selected and it was showing that they were out of several of the colors. She verified by phone that we had selected colored bands, not just the grey, but who knows? My faith in MDE, Disney IT and information you get from customer service over the phone is very low. In any case, our Bands have shipped and the tracking information shows that they should arrive today, so we'll know soon enough. I legitimately feel like it will be a total surprise when I open the box and see what is in there.

On the topic of bashing MDE and Disney IT, I didn't mention this one yet, but this is the base of why I'm so frustrated and have total lack of faith in anything they do. We had to have our reservation "canceled" and reissued (new confirmation numbers and everything) just before ADR day because our vacation package was so screwed up on MDE. Tickets weren't showing up, dining plan wasn't showing up, etc. So yeah, that put a bad taste in my mouth and then the MagicBand fiasco didn't help. Seriously, how long have they had this system and why does it still not work reliably? Granted the MagicBand issue was more related to inadequate supply, but there were definitely bugs in the system with MDE and from what I've read it doesn't seem that they should have been "sold out" that first time I tried to order... I think that particular instance was just an MDE issue.

So that said, ADRs are done, FPPs are done and we're just counting down the days... I really, really, really don't want to go there, but today, we are exactly 1 month away from... our last day in the parks.

We've been doing some things to start preparing for the trip. Disposable ponchos have been procured, sunscreen provisions have been packed away and during a visit to Sam's Club this week we grabbed some Honey Nut Cheerios to take for breakfasts in the room and some non perishable (non-melting) snacks that we can take along in the park bag and in the car.

We measured the kids earlier this week, just to see where everybody was height wise. DD measured in right at 48" so she should be good to go for everything we plan to do. LG measured in just right around 35." If we can actually get him to stand up straight and cooperate, he might actually be able to ride Barnstormer!

We also have been working on getting LG to ride in the stroller. This kid. He is hard headed. If he's walking, he wants to walk on his own and not hold your hand. That's unacceptable at Disney World because he's tiny and he wanders. We wanted to use the stroller to keep him contained, but we really haven't been anywhere or had a need to use a stroller since probably last summer. We have tried going a few places and putting him in the stroller just to get him used to it and it has been an unmitigated disaster. Strap him in and he just kicks and screams and tries to wiggle out.

I've never been this nervous about dealing with any of our kids at Disney World, ever before.

It's just too hot to carry him. We can't just let him walk freely. And he doesn't want to ride in the stroller.

Last night he got tired and threw himself on the floor for an epic tantrum because it was bed time and we wouldn't turn on "Blaze and the Monster Machines." I ended up just picking him up in a big bear hug and held him so that he couldn't kick, scratch or hit me until he calmed down enough to talk to me. Really not looking forward to dealing with this at Disney World, but that's just how he's been here recently. We're about to tear our hair out just dealing with it at home.

In some more upbeat news, we did make a change to our after-Disney plans. We were planning to go to Hilton Head for a few nights after Disney World. We couldn't get into Disney's resort there, so we were just going with what we could find, afford and looked nice. But we weren't really sold on Hilton Head as just being the place we wanted to go. I could go for the more southern plantation feel of a place like HH, but DW more prefers the white sand and blue water of the Gulf beaches. We have a place in Panama City that we've visited several times over the last 11 years now and while it isn't necessarily close to Disney, it is always the first place we look when we're thinking beach. It was damaged during the hurricane last fall, but underwent some renovation that based on our last trip was needed anyway. They just re-opened last month. When we booked our stay at HH, we'd looked at PCB and it was going to be ridiculously expensive to stay there, which is why we decided we'd try somewhere new to us.

Having seen some of the pictures on their Facebook page since the resort in PCB re-opened, we decided that we just had to take a look and see if they had anything available. Turns out, not only did they have rooms available, but they were now available for less than the room we booked at HH. So on that note, we've canceled our stay in HH, and instead we'll be going to PCB for 4 nights as opposed to 3! This really works out for us... I know PCB isn't exactly "close" to Orlando and looking at a map it appears to be a bit out of the way, but driving time wise, it will be exactly the same as it would have been for us if we'd gone to HH. We drive a little bit farther leaving Orlando, but PCB is actually a little bit closer going home for us than HH would have been. So we're really excited about this. We're excited to see the new updates to a place we've grown to enjoy, and I don't mean this in a callous way, but we're looking forward to seeing how the area has changed and bounced back post-hurricane. We don't really know what to expect... what's there, what's not? Mainly though, we just want to enjoy the beach and do our part to help be a positive factor to the local economy there that relies so heavily on tourist dollars and has had to have been struggling the past 9 months or so.

So with that, here's the final rundown of our trip logistics:
Fri 7/5: Leave work at around noon. Come home, go to sleep.
Sat 7/6: 2 or 3 am - Load the sleeping kids into the Suburban and drive as far south as I can before they wake up.
We'll be staying that night at the Holiday Inn Lake Buena Vista resort on points. Looks like a good pool/play area for the kids to burn some energy while I nap, or we're close to Disney Springs if that call beckons us to spend a few hours there.
Sun 7/7 - Sat 7/13 : A full 6 nights, 7 days of Disney, staying at Caribbean Beach Resort in a preferred room.
7/13 : We'll end our Disney time in MK as always and then spend one more night at the Holiday Inn Lake Buena Vista resort on points.
7/14 : Our check in time isn't until 4pm in PCB... which is Central time, so there is plenty of time to kill. Part of the logic behind staying in Lake Buena Vista is that we're going to be right up the street from Disney Springs. We might venture over there for a few hours and lunch before we hit the road. If we do that, it would put us in PCB right around check in time.
7/14 - 7/18 : 4 nights with 3 full days of beach time. We'll get up on the 18th and make the drive back home.

I'm not real crazy about hauling us in and out of the room for 1 night stays in Lake Buena Vista, but it is going to help us maximize our time and vacation. We're able to get the rooms for free and we will be close enough to start our Disney time at Rope Drop and end when the park closes if we so desire. So that's more time we can spend in Disney World. And since those nights at the beginning and end aren't going to cost us anything, it will allow us to afford more time at the beach.

Almost 2 full weeks of a much needed vacation. In fact, I'm taking 2 weeks and half a day off work for this. And I need it. It has been a busy year and I'm not even close to using up all my PTO yet.

But despite the excitement, I'm also feeling more nervous than I can ever remember feeling before a Disney trip before.

Not only about LG and his temper. But about screwing up royally on the planning aspect. I've been reading TR's and just some general park information in forums and I'm seeing things that I didn't know about or didn't think about. I've just not had the time to plan for this trip with the level of detail that I've done in the past. And not only that, I'm just not as up to speed with the latest Disney news and fan community as I've always been over the past several years. Part of me feels like that might be a good thing. I kind of miss the spontaneity of playing it by ear to some degree. But there's also some definite FOMO going on. A lot has changed with the practices and procedures of a park visit over the last 2 years. I don't want to miss an opportunity to ride/see/do something because the moron that planned this trip didn't do his homework and we miss some important detail that I should have known.

Your plans sound good; I'm glad you've settled on PCB after Disney, sounds like it will be a nice addition!

Don't get too nervous about the planning aspect! It's not like it's your first trip and you're going in completely blind. Sure some things have changed in the past 2 years but a lot is still the same so you will be fine!!

Seriously, how long have they had this system and why does it still not work reliably? Granted the MagicBand issue was more related to inadequate supply, but there were definitely bugs in the system with MDE and from what I've read it doesn't seem that they should have been "sold out" that first time I tried to order... I think that particular instance was just an MDE issue.
As an IT person myself, I am just as much (if not more) frustrated with MDE and IT.

I know how the internal processes work (or should work) and they fall very very short.

I'm pretty sure the reason why is they keep trying to add more and more new features before they fix existing problems. They keep coming up with these "great" new ideas instead of focusing on making an app or a system that just works.

Personally, I think the MDE app is a double edged sword; a blessing and a curse.
Great to see wait times and find things
Horrible because people (even non-millenials) have their face buried in their phone causing all types of problems IMHO.
I don't like the FP system and especially not the tiers.

Problem is, as long as people keep coming in droves and paying an arm and a leg, there is absolutely no incentive for them to fix their dung heap. 💩

Last edited:

So that said, ADRs are done, FPPs are done and we're just counting down the days... I really, really, really don't want to go there, but today, we are exactly 1 month away from... our last day in the parks.
Oh no, I hate when you have to starting thinking about the end. I do that too, though it's hard not to.

I've never been this nervous about dealing with any of our kids at Disney World, ever before.
I so feel you on this one. This is how I have felt before a couple of trips. Remember to be strong, take turns handling LG, and enjoy the moments you can. We had some doozies as far as tantrums go with our youngest in the parks, but just soak up as many of the good times with all of the kids and you may come out okay. Don't give him the power to take something fun and turn it into something miserable. I hope you gets heaps of pixie dust, and LG gets the magic of Disney and turns into an angel during this trip :littleangel:

Almost 2 full weeks of a much needed vacation. In fact, I'm taking 2 weeks and half a day off work for this. And I need it. It has been a busy year and I'm not even close to using up all my PTO yet.

I am so excited for you, you deserve this. I hope you have the most amazing time.

As far as keeping up with Disney, your TA should really be able to help you. However, I have been following the same strategy for years, and it still works. Get to the park before RD, ride the must dos you don't have FP for right at rope drop, see shows and meet characters when its busy, and use the nights to get on the things you missed. Unless you need to try Disney's most instagrammable snack or buy the latest piece of overpriced merchandise, you will be fine.

I hope you start feeling better about your trip as it gets even closer. You're going to do fine. Some things have changed but you know lots more than the majority of the people there. You deserve this time with your family and you have your beach time to unwind.

I can't believe you're so close to your trip!

I feel you on feeling under-prepared. So much has changed since I was there three years ago (you've been there more recently than I!) and with throwing in SWGE I'm concerned I won't be as great of a navigator as I used to be! I think you're going to be 1000% more prepared than the grand majority of Disney guests and you'll still have loads of fun even if things don't go as planned. I think sometimes the unplanned things end up being more fun than you'd planned!

I think your beach time sounds great! After hauling things in and out of the car nearly every night on our recent road trip (kids require SO MUCH MORE STUFF!!!) I feel you on your one-night stays, but I think it's a great solution for making more Disney time. You can't beat two free nights! Perhaps you could pack a smaller "overnight" bag for each of those stays with everyone's stuff for the night in it so you don't have to haul everything from the car. Best of luck!

I'm sorry about the technology issues with the Magic Bands and other things - I feel like technology always bites one in the butt. Hopefully you get something other than gray!

As for LG... as you know, you'll do what you can. Yes, he'll certainly have a few meltdowns (doesn't every little kid at Disney World?), but perhaps he'll relent on the stroller if he's tired or you don't give him a choice. Is there some sort of favorite toy or snack he could get only when he's riding in the stroller? Maybe that would help. (Although maybe he's a bit like Anika, who could never be bribed with ANYTHING. :laughing: ) Thankfully with two parents there you can switch off if it gets crazy!

My niece sounds a lot like your LG. My sister resorted to one of those backpack leashes, and she loved it! She could walk, but still be right by her parents. I know some people are really against them, but I've seen first hand how nice it really can be! Amazon link

So... I mentioned that ordering MagicBands wasn't fun.

It wasn't.

We had selected our colors, but then I started seeing rumors that they were going to be allowing upgrades to other bands at a discounted price. Since we have purchased the kids Star Wars and Frozen bands before, we thought this might be a good opportunity to get something different for this trip. I was doing my best to keep up with the latest news and follow the bread crumbs when this news hit. The day the bands came out, I looked at them and tried to get an idea of what we might all be interested in. That evening we sat down with the kids and everyone picked the bands they wanted. I tried to select them and kept getting error messages on MDE with a phone number to call for help. We had already had a busy evening so it was late when we got around to doing this. I was tired so instead of calling Disney that night I figured I'd mess with it the next day. By the time we were able to follow up on this, I came to find out they were already out of some of the bands we wanted and some of the solid colored bands weren't even available now.

So yeah... their rollout left a bitter taste in my mouth.
I've seen lots of complaints about the MB rollout. Lots of people got what they wanted. Lots didn't.
our Bands have shipped and the tracking information shows that they should arrive today, so we'll know soon enough. I legitimately feel like it will be a total surprise when I open the box and see what is in there.
was gonna ask to let us know, but see you did...
We had to have our reservation "canceled" and reissued (new confirmation numbers and everything) just before ADR day because our vacation package was so screwed up on MDE.
:faint:
So that said, ADRs are done, FPPs are done and we're just counting down the days..
That's great!
take a moment and breathe, dude.
I really, really, really don't want to go there, but today, we are exactly 1 month away from... our last day in the parks.
Man! Why would you do that???
This kid. He is hard headed.
Remind you of anyone you know?

:rolleyes1
I get that. :hug:
But despite the excitement, I'm also feeling more nervous than I can ever remember feeling before a Disney trip before.
Relax. You're going to Disney, not into battle (although it's close. :rolleyes2)
Take it easy, remember the reason you're there. (the kids, right?)
Let them run the show a bit and don't worry if you miss that FP, or need to cancel that ADR in favour of a quick burger or chicken nuggets.
Go with the flow. Don't fight against it.

Trust me. You'll all be happier.

I've been there.

Well... they aren't all grey.

View attachment 408890

Good! But... is it what you hoped for?
If not... I'm thinking you could exchange at the resort?

Hooray for non-gray magic bands! I hope they were what you wanted... and if not, they still look great!

Your plans sound good; I'm glad you've settled on PCB after Disney, sounds like it will be a nice addition!
Thanks... I know we'll enjoy some beach time!
Don't get too nervous about the planning aspect! It's not like it's your first trip and you're going in completely blind. Sure some things have changed in the past 2 years but a lot is still the same so you will be fine!!
Oh yeah... I know I'm prepared for most of it but it just seems there are some tweaks with how some things operate, particularly rider switch and I'm just having a hard time understanding it all. I keep coming up with more questions to research the more I learn. Part of me wants to gain as much knowledge as I can and another part of me just wants to throw in the towel and figure it out when I get there.
As an IT person myself, I am just as much (if not more) frustrated with MDE and IT.

I know how the internal processes work (or should work) and they fall very very short.

I'm pretty sure the reason why is they keep trying to add more and more new features before they fix existing problems. They keep coming up with these "great" new ideas instead of focusing on making an app or a system that just works.

Personally, I think the MDE app is a double edged sword; a blessing and a curse.
Great to see wait times and find things
Horrible because people (even non-millenials) have their face buried in their phone causing all types of problems IMHO.
I don't like the FP system and especially not the tiers.

Problem is, as long as people keep coming in droves and paying an arm and a leg, there is absolutely no incentive for them to fix their dung heap. 💩
No doubt... they need to put more resources into getting it right. I've had that thought over the years as they've added new features here and there while the system as a whole has never been the most reliable.
Oh no, I hate when you have to starting thinking about the end. I do that too, though it's hard not to.
::yes::
I so feel you on this one. This is how I have felt before a couple of trips. Remember to be strong, take turns handling LG, and enjoy the moments you can. We had some doozies as far as tantrums go with our youngest in the parks, but just soak up as many of the good times with all of the kids and you may come out okay. Don't give him the power to take something fun and turn it into something miserable. I hope you gets heaps of pixie dust, and LG gets the magic of Disney and turns into an angel during this trip :littleangel:
I'm really hoping for the best. But preparing for the worst, I guess. We'll see...
As far as keeping up with Disney, your TA should really be able to help you. However, I have been following the same strategy for years, and it still works. Get to the park before RD, ride the must dos you don't have FP for right at rope drop, see shows and meet characters when its busy, and use the nights to get on the things you missed. Unless you need to try Disney's most instagrammable snack or buy the latest piece of overpriced merchandise, you will be fine.
True, she has been helpful. There have been things where I've shot her a quick e-mail for a question or for help, like the MDE issues when I just didn't have time to mess with it. But I'm too type A. I know that we'll have to change things on the fly so I want to be as prepared as I can going in, you know? And that strategy you outlined is still pretty much the blueprint we have and will continue to use.
I hope you start feeling better about your trip as it gets even closer. You're going to do fine. Some things have changed but you know lots more than the majority of the people there. You deserve this time with your family and you have your beach time to unwind.
I know we're going to have a good time. I'm nervous about a few things, but excited and ready!
I can't believe you're so close to your trip!

I feel you on feeling under-prepared. So much has changed since I was there three years ago (you've been there more recently than I!) and with throwing in SWGE I'm concerned I won't be as great of a navigator as I used to be! I think you're going to be 1000% more prepared than the grand majority of Disney guests and you'll still have loads of fun even if things don't go as planned. I think sometimes the unplanned things end up being more fun than you'd planned!
I tell you what, at first I was a little bit disappointed that we're going to be so close yet so far away by missing SWGE by just over a month... but I think I'm actually kind of glad we're missing it. Maybe the crowds will be a little bit lighter for us as a result (and touringplans seems to think that is the case) and that's some other unknown that I don't have to worry about figuring out!
I think your beach time sounds great! After hauling things in and out of the car nearly every night on our recent road trip (kids require SO MUCH MORE STUFF!!!) I feel you on your one-night stays, but I think it's a great solution for making more Disney time. You can't beat two free nights! Perhaps you could pack a smaller "overnight" bag for each of those stays with everyone's stuff for the night in it so you don't have to haul everything from the car. Best of luck!
The amount of crap we will have to take for being gone almost 2 weeks... :faint: Yeah, we will pack a bag specifically for those 2 nights so that we won't have to take everything in. But I can tell you from past experience that I will end up making approximately 20 trips out to the Suburban because DW will say "I need ____ and I put it in the _____ bag."
Yeah... I went there. :duck:
I'm sorry about the technology issues with the Magic Bands and other things - I feel like technology always bites one in the butt. Hopefully you get something other than gray!
We got colors! I honestly don't remember if they're what we originally selected or not though... I didn't think I picked blue, but I'm fine with it.
As for LG... as you know, you'll do what you can. Yes, he'll certainly have a few meltdowns (doesn't every little kid at Disney World?), but perhaps he'll relent on the stroller if he's tired or you don't give him a choice. Is there some sort of favorite toy or snack he could get only when he's riding in the stroller? Maybe that would help. (Although maybe he's a bit like Anika, who could never be bribed with ANYTHING. :laughing:) Thankfully with two parents there you can switch off if it gets crazy!
Well, we're hoping popcorn might do it... DW coaches cheer at our local High School and the cheerleaders man the concession stand at track/field and soccer events to raise money. DW has taken him and he sometimes will sit in the stroller if he has a tray full of popcorn. So what time do they start popping on Main Street???? I'm 99.99% sure that our first investment on this trip might just be the refillable popcorn bucket.
My niece sounds a lot like your LG. My sister resorted to one of those backpack leashes, and she loved it! She could walk, but still be right by her parents. I know some people are really against them, but I've seen first hand how nice it really can be! Amazon link
I've considered this option... I just don't know though. For one, I've personally never been a fan of them, but I do see the benefits in this scenario. My biggest reservation though, is him. If he doesn't want to wear it, it won't go over well. This kid will freak out and try to strip out of a shirt if he doesn't like the way it feels. In fact, half the time we're at home he's got his shirt off. So I just don't know if he'd go for it.
I've seen lots of complaints about the MB rollout. Lots of people got what they wanted. Lots didn't.
I think my biggest complaint is that they rolled it out 2 weeks before my cut off to select an MB, which is neither here nor there... but they ran out because they shipped immediately for people who had trips 8 or 9 months away. If they'd have shipped MBs at a month before the trip like they have always done with MB's, I'd have to think the supply would have held up and they'd have been able to replenish as they went... it wouldn't have been a flood of shipments and then... ooops.
was gonna ask to let us know, but see you did...
:thumbsup2
That's great!
take a moment and breathe, dude.
This might be more appropriate :drinking1
Man! Why would you do that???
:confused3
Remind you of anyone you know?
:scratchin
Relax. You're going to Disney, not into battle (although it's close. :rolleyes2)
Take it easy, remember the reason you're there. (the kids, right?)
Let them run the show a bit and don't worry if you miss that FP, or need to cancel that ADR in favour of a quick burger or chicken nuggets.
Go with the flow. Don't fight against it.

Trust me. You'll all be happier.

I've been there.
Yeah, that's a big part of it. I guess I'm seeing all the "you've got to be at the park 2 hours before posted opening to ride X" and thinking there's no f-ing way. It's just trying to find that balance of not wearing LG out to meltdown mode, but still doing the headliners we all want to do and giving the older kids a chance to enjoy themselves. Trying to find that balance.
On a side note, we've talked about which headliners we'd be ok with skipping if it comes to it... and the only one we've agreed to thus far is Soarin.
Good! But... is it what you hoped for?
If not... I'm thinking you could exchange at the resort?
Honestly, I'm not sure. I didn't think I selected blue, but I'm fine with that. I'm pretty sure DD and DS got what they wanted, but I don't think DW wanted purple and I think LG and I might have got switched... I don't know. It's better than grey though.

I was also confused why they shipped immediately to people whose trip was so far out... I'm glad yours were not all gray, but what a pain to not get what you wanted!

I think my biggest complaint is that they rolled it out 2 weeks before my cut off to select an MB, which is neither here nor there... but they ran out because they shipped immediately for people who had trips 8 or 9 months away. If they'd have shipped MBs at a month before the trip like they have always done with MB's, I'd have to think the supply would have held up and they'd have been able to replenish as they went... it wouldn't have been a flood of shipments and then... ooops.
Ahhhh… okay, I get it now.
This might be more appropriate :drinking1
That too. :)
Yeah, that's a big part of it. I guess I'm seeing all the "you've got to be at the park 2 hours before posted opening to ride X" and thinking there's no f-ing way. It's just trying to find that balance of not wearing LG out to meltdown mode, but still doing the headliners we all want to do and giving the older kids a chance to enjoy themselves. Trying to find that balance.
On a side note, we've talked about which headliners we'd be ok with skipping if it comes to it... and the only one we've agreed to thus far is Soarin.
Sounds like you're starting to figure things out and have a plan starting to form to help mitigate disappointments.
Honestly, I'm not sure. I didn't think I selected blue, but I'm fine with that. I'm pretty sure DD and DS got what they wanted, but I don't think DW wanted purple and I think LG and I might have got switched... I don't know. It's better than grey though.
Better than grey.

Ugh. I don't pay attention to MBs and we usually decline them because we have so many already. However with the new rode photos and such, I'm wondering if I should switch to a new scale MB and ditch my coveted Marie MB.

I hope it all works out and you don't have too many meltdowns with LG.

Hopefully the days at the beach give you some relaxing time before going home.

It's just trying to find that balance of not wearing LG out to meltdown mode, but still doing the headliners we all want to do and giving the older kids a chance to enjoy themselves. Trying to find that balance.

Have you talked about how willing you are to split up the group, if necessary? That could end up being helpful, if and when LG is not up for doing what everyone else wants to do. (And hopefully, switching off which parent hangs out with LG).

And I have to admit, if he isn't willing to hold your hand, be carried, or ride in the stroller, having a harness may be another useful option to at least try. And I hope you've also scoped out lots of places where you can let him run around, too.

I was also confused why they shipped immediately to people whose trip was so far out... I'm glad yours were not all gray, but what a pain to not get what you wanted!
It was a disappointment... but $50 in my pocket, I guess. :rotfl:
Sounds like you're starting to figure things out and have a plan starting to form to help mitigate disappointments.
Well, we're trying!
Better than grey.
Maybe... I think DW actually wanted grey. Oops.
Ugh. I don't pay attention to MBs and we usually decline them because we have so many already. However with the new rode photos and such, I'm wondering if I should switch to a new scale MB and ditch my coveted Marie MB.
Worth a try! I do like having the opportunity to get a discounted design of my choice. I just wish I could have actually done it.
I hope it all works out and you don't have too many meltdowns with LG.
I hope so... it really is hard to tell with him from day to day.
Hopefully the days at the beach give you some relaxing time before going home.
I'm looking forward to some relaxation. I'm not usually one for just sitting around, but I'm sure I'll need that time to rest.
Have you talked about how willing you are to split up the group, if necessary? That could end up being helpful, if and when LG is not up for doing what everyone else wants to do. (And hopefully, switching off which parent hangs out with LG).
I'm sure we'll end up doing something along these lines. There's just really no way around it.
And I have to admit, if he isn't willing to hold your hand, be carried, or ride in the stroller, having a harness may be another useful option to at least try. And I hope you've also scoped out lots of places where you can let him run around, too.
Yeah, we've talked about it. We might get one and try it before we leave. He's very particular about what he wears though, and if he doesn't like how it feels it will only cause a meltdown.

19 Days

Wow. We're under 3 weeks away and I feel woefully unprepared.

If you've followed some past TRs, you might remember that I work in an office and also farm. It has been a hectic spring. Weather has not been kind to us and it has been a challenge to get crops planted. We did finally end up getting seed in the ground, but there's more that needs to be done that we can't do. We've been working when we can between rain showers, but the past few days have given us over 5" of rain locally and now the crops we got planted are under water.

A year ago, we had crops planted, fertilizer applied and spraying done by June 1. By this time, the corn was probably 5' tall.

This year, we have everything planted, about 75% of fertilizer applied and maybe 10% spraying done. And the corn is about 5" tall.

I mentioned we'd considered going in June before LG turned 3. Good thing we didn't go with that strategy because... well, it couldn't have happened.

Anyway, it has been a challenge for us, but we're in much better shape than many other farmers here in the Midwest. It looks to be wet for the next 2 weeks, but there's still plenty of time to finish applying nitrogen and spray. We just need some sunshine and heat to make that corn grow... and while we need less rain for the next few weeks, we definitely don't want it to turn off completely!

Anyway, I guess that has contributed to my general stress level and why I've stressed about my lack of planning... and it has honestly contributed to my lack of planning.

Sunday was Father's Day. But that wasn't even the most important thing that day. It was also LG's birthday. It never really hit me on the last couple of birthdays, but maybe because this year it was on Father's Day, it just caused me to reflect on the start he got a little bit more. As much as I worry about him being a challenge at Disney World, it will be nothing like the challenge he was when he came into this world!

So there it is... Our days of free admission to Disney World are a thing of the past.

He went to the pediatrician yesterday for his 3 year well check. She said he's in the 10th percentile of height at 35" and he's just on his own growth chart for weight. He's up from 23 pounds at last year's well check to a whopping... 25 pounds. All things considered though, she's happy with where he is. He's small, but overall, he's healthy and doing well. He's also a picky eater so that doesn't help with his growth... peanut butter, mac & cheese, cheese pizza, chicken nuggets, fries, apples and fruit snacks are pretty much the only things he will eat, and only if he wants them. But again, he's healthy, and we aren't starving him. You can lead a kid to food, but you can't make them eat. Or something like that, right?

Before you ask about his lack of a cake, DW decorates cookies and cakes as kind of a side gig. She has done so many cakes, cupcakes and cookies for graduations this month that she was just over it. She had some left over sugar cookies and some icing so she went quick and easy for LG's birthday. He just wants the icing anyway, so a pile of it on a cookie worked!

It had definitely been a rough spring and early summer for the farmers! We live in central Iowa and it's been rough here, too. All the rain has been great for our plants and garden, but we feel really bad for the farmers when we see all the water in the fields. I'm glad things are looking up and your trip timing will work out well!

What a great picture of your son! Happy birthday to LG! :bday:

It sounds like he's doing great! I think all little kids, even those without all the extra hurdles your son had, don't put on as much weight in some of their early years. My brother-in-law had no health issues as a baby and only gained four pounds in between ages one and two - and he is normal-sized adult (and has no problem putting away food now!). Anika was also a VERY picky eater as a little kid and now she'll eat just about anything. All things in due time!

I 100% feel your frustration with Disney IT. The technology is great when it works right but it fails SO much. We've been having tons of magicband and MDE issues since our trip last October and were locked out of our room on 3 different occasions last week and the response we got was basically that we travel to Disney too often. Uh hello, isn't that the point?!

Glad you didn't get all grey magicbands!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter