Let's talk minivans

lovin'fl

DIS Veteran
In 2012 we traded our old minivan for Subaru Outback. Our kids were middle and high school so we figured we would not need the minivan setup anymore. We were kind of wrong. Our two youngest played a travel sport and the Outback was great for trunk space but sometimes teammates needed rides and extra equipment needed toting. Many vacations we drove to, we had all three kids squished in backseat or anytime we had family function to go to...that kind of thing. Now our Outback has a lot of miles on it and one DD, at college, is needing a car to get to stuff she is involved in (and other DD is at same college so they can share car). We figure we will give Outback to them to use and get a new car for us.

I am thinking we should get a minivan again. We are empty nest now but we have to tote the kids back and forth to college, help them move their stuff...etc. We also now live closer to FL and plan to drive to WDW and to Port for cruises. And our DDs' college is 9 hours from our house so we make the trek a bit long with a stopover to visit our parents and siblings that happens to be halfway. Also minivans aren't too pricey.

Minivan a good idea for empty nesters? And what make would be the best bang for our buck? Which seat 8? Which have stowaway seats? Any other neat details I should know? Also, I don't like the look of the Nissan one.

In 2012 we traded our old minivan for Subaru Outback. Our kids were middle and high school so we figured we would not need the minivan setup anymore. We were kind of wrong. Our two youngest played a travel sport and the Outback was great for trunk space but sometimes teammates needed rides and extra equipment needed toting. Many vacations we drove to, we had all three kids squished in backseat or anytime we had family function to go to...that kind of thing. Now our Outback has a lot of miles on it and one DD, at college, is needing a car to get to stuff she is involved in (and other DD is at same college so they can share car). We figure we will give Outback to them to use and get a new car for us.

I am thinking we should get a minivan again. We are empty nest now but we have to tote the kids back and forth to college, help them move their stuff...etc. We also now live closer to FL and plan to drive to WDW and to Port for cruises. And our DDs' college is 9 hours from our house so we make the trek a bit long with a stopover to visit our parents and siblings that happens to be halfway. Also minivans aren't too pricey.

Minivan a good idea for empty nesters? And what make would be the best bang for our buck? Which seat 8? Which have stowaway seats? Any other neat details I should know? Also, I don't like the look of the Nissan one.
Just my opinion, but no, you don't NEED a minivan as empty nesters. If you get one, you're just setting yourself up for "Mom (Dad) can you bring my XXXXX, since you've got the car for it?"

Time for the "kids" to figure out that stuff on their own.

Just 2 of you don't need that much space, even if you do travel 9 hours in the car from point A to point B. I'd be looking a smaller sedan. Actually, we did hand off our old minivan to one son when he graduated high school. As well as "my" SUV (had to get it when one kid opted for french horn/mellophone and the other took up the baritone horn) went to younger son when he graduated.

Then we got a Ford Fusion.

Do you *need* a minivan? Probably not, but if you want one, get it.

I am on my second Toyota Sienna, and I love it. Our first one was 11 years old when we got rid of it, and we didn't have any problems with it, but I was starting to worry about "what-ifs" and it had 170,000 miles on it. We now have a 2014 Sienna that we bought used in 2015. Ours seats 8 people, but we take the 8th seat out unless we need it. We can fit a lot of junk in the van, it is very comfortable to ride it, and very easy to drive.

I too, have found that as my kids are growing up I'm needing a bigger car rather than a smaller car. So I gave up my SUV and got a minivan last year. I LOVE my 2016 Sienna. For me I needed an AWD vehicle and so that was the only minivan with that option. (Granted it isn't the best AWD system I've ever driven but with snow tires I can get up our hill).

Anyway I love it and especially how versatile and comfy it is. The MPG isn't too bad IMO.

We just decided to move out of the minivan (Honda Odyssey). But we recognize that we still really need the space so we decided on a Ford Flex.

We have two middle schoolers, but our oldest goes to college nearby or they may bring a friend so we occasionally need the extra seating. We also have two dogs that ride in the car often and one is almost as big as I am.

My parents are late 50s and just bought a Honda Odyssey, so I do think sometimes a minivan may simply be the best fit depending on your needs.

My mum at 70 just bought a Honda Odyssey mini van. She even though both my sister and I are married and out of the house. We have 3 kids between us still in car seats or boosters. It's her Grannie mobile! Mum helps us both out by dropping off or picking up the kids at school/ daycare when needed. We all live with and 5 minute drive of each other. She loves being able to configure her vehicle as she needs it.

I don't own a mini-van*, but I do own a versatile vehicle, which is what a mini-van is. I own a Suburban. Bought it 30 years ago right after my won was born, still have it.
My family won't let me get rid of it. When you need room for 9 passengers, or need to haul something, it is indispensable. And our kids are grown.
So no, you may not NEED a mini-van, but there will be many times when having it is very helpful, as you have discovered.

* Full disclosure. Technically we did own a mini van, a 1990 Plymouth Grand Voyager for 3 months. We inherited it from my MIL. 3 years newer than the Suburban, but same number of miles on it. Just not big enough....and not much leg room either.

We are in a different situation - hubby and I are having our first child in November. We have been around the mini-van block and have decided on the Odyssey. We really like the options, safety rating, and price.

I love how SUVs look but there's just no space.

I love my minivan and have no intention of giving it up when the kids are grown. I thought I would when I first got one, but changed my mind as the years went on. My oldest is an adult now and middle child is a HS junior, so we did discuss getting something smaller when we bought my current van last year. But while I do use the full seating capacity less than I used to, I'm using the cargo space more. We ultimately decided that rather than downsizing my van, DH is going to give up his pickup in favor of a mid-size car when it needs replaced. We can use the van to haul 99% of what we use the truck for, it is better on gas, and it is a lot more comfortable on long drives, so if we're going to downsize one of our vehicles it makes more sense for it to be his.

I have a Grand Caravan with the stowaway seats, and I love it. When it comes time to replace it, I'll be looking at either a newer version of the same or the Chrysler Pacifica (which is a little nicer and gets a little better fuel economy).

We have Jeep Grand Cherokees, comfortable for 5. Also tons of room to tote "stuff" Got rid of the minivan and never looked back.

We had a Jeep Grand Cherokee many many years ago and I did love that car.

I am also thinking about a Honda CRV. With AWD would be nice since DDs'college is in the mountains. DH's Civic struggled getting up there a few weeks ago and that was in good weather.

Last edited:
We're in the same boat. I had a Sienna until 2007 when I traded it in for a Honda Pilot. I love my Pilot and intend to drive it until it dies or give it to one of the kids. We just had a discussion this weekend about getting another van when the time comes, and we will both be retired at that point.

We like to take road trips, so we want a vehicle with good cargo capacity, but we also want a comfortable interior and a smooth ride. I refuse to drive a small car, so it's either a van or another SUV for us.

Walked the dog today and checked out neighbors cars. There was a Honda CR-V with hatch open and back seat folded down and it looked like it could haul some decent stuff. Still considering a minivan. We are hoping we can hold off for a bit, like maybe until May-July next year. It's nice not having any car payments right now.

You could always get a sedan or whatever other car you want and rent a minivan when you need to move them in and out of their dorm for college.

As I've said before, if you like SUVs for their fashion, no denying that. They're very trendy right now, and they sell a lot of them. But if you're looking for people and stuff hauling room, SUVs can't hold a candle to minivans. SUVs don't do anything particularly well, you're far better off with a minivan.

You were asking about the stowaway seats. Only Chrysler has that with the Stow N Go. However, a word of caution from someone who does cars for a living...there are MUCH better vehicles on the market. The Stow N Go is a neat parlor trick, but the van itself is at the bottom of the minivan class. Unreliable (it's a Chrysler), unrefined, just not as good as the others. How often would you really use the Stow N Go? We've had minivans for 11 years and I can count on one hand the number of times I wish we had it. When you fold the third row down...all minivans can do that...there is a TON of room. Taking the middle seats out usually isn't that hard if you really need to do it.

Many minivans now will seat 8...the Odyssey, the Sienna, Sedona, etc...but that middle seat in both the second and 3rd row is tight.

Best minivan on the market? Well...how much do you want to spend? Money no object, the Honda is pretty hard to beat. Want a great value, buy a 2 year old lightly used Sedona, by far the best value.

I too, have found that as my kids are growing up I'm needing a bigger car rather than a smaller car. So I gave up my SUV and got a minivan last year. I LOVE my 2016 Sienna. For me I needed an AWD vehicle and so that was the only minivan with that option. (Granted it isn't the best AWD system I've ever driven but with snow tires I can get up our hill).

Anyway I love it and especially how versatile and comfy it is. The MPG isn't too bad IMO.

Do you mind going into more detail about that? I've been half heartedly looking around for awhile. Love my van but it's terrible on snow covered inclines. I had discovered in my research about the Sienna being the only van with AWD.

Unless you live in some very extreme terrain, you don't need AWD...no matter how much manufacturers want you to think you do. Proper tires are FAR, FAR more important than drive wheels. If your van is terrible on snow covered inclines, check your tires, guarantee they're the culprit. But yes, if you feel like you must spend the extra money for AWD, then the Sienna is the only one that offers it.

We have a Dodge Grand Caravan and I love it. Our kids are still little and we are still toting baby gear but even when we aren't we need space. Right now I can leave an extra car seat in there and if I have to pick up a kid for someone running late, etc, no big deal. We love stow and go mainly because on the way to vacation we can put the seats down and use the space for stuff. Then when we get to where we are going and unpack the stuff, we can put the seats back up and fit more people in the van for the little day trips. We also love the stow and go for the drive in movies but I realize that not everyone does that.... I made fun of my one aunt recently. She has 2 grown children, one not even living in this country, and her newest car was a mini van. She told me she just loves the space and versatility.

As I've said before, if you like SUVs for their fashion, no denying that. They're very trendy right now, and they sell a lot of them. But if you're looking for people and stuff hauling room, SUVs can't hold a candle to minivans. SUVs don't do anything particularly well, you're far better off with a minivan.

You were asking about the stowaway seats. Only Chrysler has that with the Stow N Go. However, a word of caution from someone who does cars for a living...there are MUCH better vehicles on the market. The Stow N Go is a neat parlor trick, but the van itself is at the bottom of the minivan class. Unreliable (it's a Chrysler), unrefined, just not as good as the others. How often would you really use the Stow N Go? We've had minivans for 11 years and I can count on one hand the number of times I wish we had it. When you fold the third row down...all minivans can do that...there is a TON of room. Taking the middle seats out usually isn't that hard if you really need to do it.

Absolutely. The Honda third row folds down into the floor and there is a ton of space back there. We would often take out one of the two middle seats to have some extra space amid the seating (like if the dogs were travelling with us we could put a dog bed in that spot). The only time this would be a disadvantage over stow-n-go middle seats would be if you did not plan before you left the house that you may need to remove the seat (and even then, you can fit the folded seat in the trunk area if necessary).

My sister has the seats that can be stowed and for daily use there really is no comparison. They just seem cheaply made and uncomfortable. The Honda center seats are (nearly) the same as the front seats (which are way better quality than any other van I have been a passenger in).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter