1. What category did you pay for? 5A
2. Which Ship? Fantasy
3. Number of Nights? 7 nights
4. Month/Year of Sailing: May 2018
5. What was your Port of Arrival time assignment? Platinum, so no PAT
6. What time did you check-in? Around 10:30
7. What category were you offered for upgrade? Category T and R
8. How much was the upgrade? $45xx for T and even more for the R

Got the Walt Suite and it was fantastic. We have sailed in T before and in retrospect, for the cost and actual room space the T would be fine for our sailing party. The T and R rooms and the service have lots of similarities, just more space. A few of the perks and the giant veranda with the private hot tub really was the key difference. Rack rate at the last check before the cruise was over $38,000.

Last edited:
I have a general question for this thread. Booked a Cat T on the Magic for early February 2019. Would love a 2 bedroom since we are 3 adults and 1 child, but no way I could justify the $5,000 price difference between the Cat T and the 2BDRM. I figure I can check close to trip time to see if both the 2BRMs are sold, but if they are not I am wondering if I even want to try for an upgrade. Anyone have any idea of at least approximately what they might charge for such an upgrade if one existed?

lesroi,

How many people were in your party? Do you remember what you paid for the 5A? We are hoping to try for an upgrade on an upcoming sailing and trying to get a sense of cost. Was the rack rate of $38,000 for the T or the R?

Thanks!
Kathi

1. What category did you pay for? 5A
2. Which Ship? Fantasy
3. Number of Nights? 7 nights
4. Month/Year of Sailing: May 2018
5. What was your Port of Arrival time assignment? Platinum, so no PAT
6. What time did you check-in? Around 10:30
7. What category were you offered for upgrade? Category T and R
8. How much was the upgrade? $45xx for T and even more for the R

Got the Walt Suite and it was fantastic. We have sailed in T before and in retrospect, for the cost and actual room space the T would be fine for our sailing party. The T and R rooms and the service have lots of similarities, just more space. A few of the perks and the giant veranda with the private hot tub really was the key difference. Rack rate at the last check before the cruise was over $38,000.

lesroi,

How many people were in your party? Do you remember what you paid for the 5A? We are hoping to try for an upgrade on an upcoming sailing and trying to get a sense of cost. Was the rack rate of $38,000 for the T or the R?

Thanks!
Kathi

We have 3 sailing (2A/1C). We have had 4 in the T before. Since the T on the dream class has a living, dining an 1.5 Baths, the actual number of “rooms” are very similar. The Royal just has more square footage for each of those areas. In the Walt I would guess the master bath is equal or even a little smaller than the T master bath. (But it is much neater with the fancier tub, steam shower and the wall of windows that becomes frosted at a touch of a bottom.) The kitchen in the royal is also a nice touch but not really a space that was utilized other than the fridge and maybe the coffee machine, if you use it.

That was the rack rate for the royal suite, rack rate for the T was like $19,000. The only thing that factors into the upgrades, if available, are category booked and category upgrading too. We had Florida resident rate on the 5A so about $5000.

Thanks - We have stayed a T a few times and our friends were in the R, so we got to enjoy that as well. I was just trying to figure out cost difference between your 5A and the T (and for how many people). Very helpful, thank you.

We have 3 sailing (2A/1C). We have had 4 in the T before. Since the T on the dream class has a living, dining an 1.5 Baths, the actual number of “rooms” are very similar. The Royal just has more square footage for each of those areas. In the Walt I would guess the master bath is equal or even a little smaller than the T master bath. (But it is much neater with the fancier tub, steam shower and the wall of windows that becomes frosted at a touch of a bottom.) The kitchen in the royal is also a nice touch but not really a space that was utilized other than the fridge and maybe the coffee machine, if you use it.

That was the rack rate for the royal suite, rack rate for the T was like $19,000. The only thing that factors into the upgrades, if available, are category booked and category upgrading too. We had Florida resident rate on the 5A so about $5000.

Last edited:
Thanks - We have stayed a T a few times and our friends were in the R, so we got to enjoy that as well. I was just trying to figure out cost difference between your 5A and the T (and for how many people). Very helpful, thank you.
I don't think the number of people in the cabin makes any difference. We upgraded 2 cabins at the port (2 families). One cabin had 3 adults, the other 4 adults. The upgrade was exactly the same price (both families were in the same cabin type).

I have a general question for this thread. Booked a Cat T on the Magic for early February 2019. Would love a 2 bedroom since we are 3 adults and 1 child, but no way I could justify the $5,000 price difference between the Cat T and the 2BDRM. I figure I can check close to trip time to see if both the 2BRMs are sold, but if they are not I am wondering if I even want to try for an upgrade. Anyone have any idea of at least approximately what they might charge for such an upgrade if one existed?
I would try at the port and see what the price is. You might be pleasantly surprised. You can always say no if you don't like the price. Just have in mind how much you are willingly to pay - if it is above that then say no.

Keeping an eye on this thread for our Dream cruise in October. Currently 9C and hoping for V or T. We did this back in 2013ish on the Dream and Fantasy and it was roughly $700 and $1700 the second time respectively.

I called to see about upgrading one of our staterooms for our first cruise in about one month. My husband and I are across and down the hall from each other because we couldn't fit in one room with our four kids. The Disney rep said she can't help at all because we booked through a travel agent. My agent checked and said it would be $6000 extra to upgrade the one room to veranda so we could get next-door or adjoining. If there would still happen to be better rooms available when we are boarding, can we even ask to upgrade then? We don't want to pay $6000 but we'd pay quite a bit... or is it not possible to change rooms in port due to using a travel agent?

I called to see about upgrading one of our staterooms for our first cruise in about one month. My husband and I are across and down the hall from each other because we couldn't fit in one room with our four kids. The Disney rep said she can't help at all because we booked through a travel agent. My agent checked and said it would be $6000 extra to upgrade the one room to veranda so we could get next-door or adjoining. If there would still happen to be better rooms available when we are boarding, can we even ask to upgrade then? We don't want to pay $6000 but we'd pay quite a bit... or is it not possible to change rooms in port due to using a travel agent?
Doesn’t matter about the travel agent on embarkation day. You can check for the upgrades. I say it’s worthwhile to check. Won’t hurt anything just to see. You never know what you could score.

If there would still happen to be better rooms available when we are boarding, can we even ask to upgrade then? We don't want to pay $6000 but we'd pay quite a bit... or is it not possible to change rooms in port due to using a travel agent?

SweetPee is correct that the travel agent is not an issue when doing an upgrade at port. Are you on a Classic ship? If you are on the Dream or Fantasy there is not a stateroom that will accommodate a party of six. It may be possible to upgrade but it will still have to be two adjoining staterooms.

SweetPee is correct that the travel agent is not an issue when doing an upgrade at port. Are you on a Classic ship? If you are on the Dream or Fantasy there is not a stateroom that will accommodate a party of six. It may be possible to upgrade but it will still have to be two adjoining staterooms.
I think the6 were look8ng to get closer to their other room. I’m guessing they booked a verandah + inside room and are looking to upgrade that inside to a connecting or next door verandah to their other room. But you are correct. Dream & Fantasy have no rooms that accommodate 6. That’s true.

Yes, we were just looking to get our two rooms closer to each other. It looks like there is one set of connecting verandah rooms available now and one set of verandah rooms that don't connect but are next-door to each other. We'd just be happy if our rooms were just closer to each other - there wasn't an inside room and verandah very close together when we booked. We'll be on the Magic, so I believe there are concierge rooms available that hold more people but those are all taken and I'm not even dreaming about getting our hands on one of those!! Thanks for all of your help and information. Our port arrival time is late - 12:30 was the earliest we could get since we booked late. This is our first cruise and I have no clue what I'm doing. I'm guessing rooms will already be hashed out by the time we get to the counter and we aren't going to have much luck. We're happy to be cruising in the first place though so we'll make the most of it!!

Yes, we were just looking to get our two rooms closer to each other. It looks like there is one set of connecting verandah rooms available now and one set of verandah rooms that don't connect but are next-door to each other. We'd just be happy if our rooms were just closer to each other - there wasn't an inside room and verandah very close together when we booked. We'll be on the Magic, so I believe there are concierge rooms available that hold more people but those are all taken and I'm not even dreaming about getting our hands on one of those!! Thanks for all of your help and information. Our port arrival time is late - 12:30 was the earliest we could get since we booked late. This is our first cruise and I have no clue what I'm doing. I'm guessing rooms will already be hashed out by the time we get to the counter and we aren't going to have much luck. We're happy to be cruising in the first place though so we'll make the most of it!!

You can go to the port earlier than your stated port arrival time. They won’t make you wait outside or anything. You just won’t get as low a boarding group number as someone with an earlier port arrival time. I would say get to the port early if you can. They open it up at like 10:30 or so. Get thru check-in & scoot over to the supervisors desk to ask about the rooms. The earlier you get there the better your chances.

Thanks Sweetpea! Does that hold true for Dover port? (About them not making us wait out on the street :) I'm guessing the port is not as "fun" as the one in Florida... any idea if there will there be anything for us to do for several hours until we can board? It doesn't look like there are many rooms available on our ship so I'm trying to figure out if it is worth it for us to try. Also - if we get there early can we check our luggage in or do we need to hang out with our suitcases until our official port arrival time?

On one DCL cruise we ended in Dover so I can’t say much about the check in process. We boarded in Copenhagen on that cruise and it was a Non-Port Canaveral place I can say they did a pretty good job replicating the facilities. Bag check was similar and at the curb, they had movies playing in one area, some seating and Cpt. Mickey was doing photos. We didn’t use the supervisor desk on that cruise but it had to be around.

Thanks Sweetpea! Does that hold true for Dover port? (About them not making us wait out on the street :) I'm guessing the port is not as "fun" as the one in Florida... any idea if there will there be anything for us to do for several hours until we can board? It doesn't look like there are many rooms available on our ship so I'm trying to figure out if it is worth it for us to try. Also - if we get there early can we check our luggage in or do we need to hang out with our suitcases until our official port arrival time?
I’ve never sailed from Dover but standard procedure is to send your checked luggage with the porters curbside before going inside. You just hold onto whatever bags you want to carry onboard. Once you go in you’ll clear security sort of like the airport then check in. Again, I’ve not sailed from Dover so maybe these are questions to ask in a new thread. Or do a quick search of the board. You just need to know if you can go in the terminal earlier than your PAT and if you check bags curbside with porters like usual. Keep watching the availability. They’ll close it out 3 days before you sail. When it gets close you’ll know better if it’s worth trying for.

On one DCL cruise we ended in Dover so I can’t say much about the check in process. We boarded in Copenhagen on that cruise and it was a Non-Port Canaveral place I can say they did a pretty good job replicating the facilities. Bag check was similar and at the curb, they had movies playing in one area, some seating and Cpt. Mickey was doing photos. We didn’t use the supervisor desk on that cruise but it had to be around.
Were they holding people to the scheduled PAT? And did you leave your checked bags with porters curbside like at US ports?

We sailed from Dover 2 years ago, our first cruise - similar to other places you give your luggage over straight away so thats not a hassle, but Dover is very small and there is nothing to do at all in the terminal, so I would definitely have activities in your carry on if you are going to be there early. There was one photo call and a small cafe area, that was it - if you are used to the US ports I suspect you will find it a bit lower key. It was our first cruise so we were still super excited but in retrospect, it was less exciting than our arrival last year at Barcelona, where I felt they made a bit more effort. I think its probably as they only have 1 or 2 Disney sailings a year from Dover.

From memory they did have upgrades available for parties or 2 or 3 people from Dover, obviously it can really depend sailing to sailing.

Another tip from Dover is if you are coming into the train station rather than using DCL transfers definitely book a taxi in advance. The station is surprisingly small, and the queue for taxis was horrendous and I was so glad we booked in advance. Don't walk it, it looks ok but its not a suitable walk IMO

Rachel - how did you book your taxi in advance? I said the same to my husband and he said you couldn't so I'm guessing he isn't looking hard enough....how did you go about it? Thanks!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter