Letting Teens go by themselves

kmbrandt

Earning My Ears
Planning our second trip for early December 2018. The last time we went, my oldest daughter and niece were 17/16 so we let them explore the parks on their own - even visited different parks using Mickey transportation. This time my twins will be newly 14 when we go. Right now, they do no have phones. Would you let reasonable behaved teens go on their own? I am more inclined of having them do a ride or two and then meeting us at a point and going from there. We have one other younger one, who will be 10 at the time and will be with one parent at least.

I think only you can make that decision, you know your kids best. Would I have allowed my son at that age, probably but he was a very independent smart young man. Would I let a daughter do it now? I just don't know, I probably wouldn't without a cell phone but again, your kids and only you know them well enough to make that decision.

First time I went o Disney I was 11 or 12. My parents let me and a friend go off by ourselves. Some would argue that the world is more dangerous now. I would say that incidents are just more publicized now due to 24 hour news and social media. Either way I think two responsible 14 year-olds with a phone would be fine. However, you know your kids better than anyone commenting here.

I have twin 14 year-olds and I would have no problem letting them go if they wanted.

I have 4 kids. The last time we went my oldest two were 11 and 13. I would let them go off to ride a couple rides then meet up with us. They both have phones so I knew I could get a hold of them. They are also really responsible.
I don’t know that I would let them go to the other parks though. Next time we go they will be 16, 14,11,&9. I will let my three girls go off together and maybe the two older together to a different park. My son will only be nine won’t have a phone so he will stay with me or my husband at all times.

Well I’m hoping to be a parent next year so I’m monitoring this thread too!

I guess I’d listen to those who’ve been there done that, Disney is a confined space but still pug:

Obviously it depends on the individual teens/parents, but in general I would feel comfortable with 14 year olds on their own. I have four kids: currently they are 17, 16, 13, and 11. We will be at Disney next week and I plan to let the four of them go on their own (either all 4 together or paired off) for several hours at a time. My oldest went around completely on his own when he had just turned 16. My older two went around by themselves for an entire day when they were 17 and 15. However, they do all have their own cell phones. I would not feel as comfortable with this if they did not.

I also feel like 16 is the magic number. I think letting them go around alone in the same park you're in is fine at 14, but not different parks without you being somewhere in it.

I also feel like 16 is the magic number. I think letting them go around alone in the same park you're in is fine at 14, but not different parks without you being somewhere in it.

This was what we did. At 14 they had to travel to/from the park with us and stay in that park, but other than meeting up periodically during the day such as for ADRs or other specified times we’d let them be independent for several hours if they wanted. This was before the days of cellphones, but our kids knew the parks well and had proven themselves responsible and dependable at home.

I agree that it totally depends on the maturity of the kids and would add that I think it also depends on how well they know the WDW property. Mine (ages 12 and 14) know WDW like their own backyard so this past summer I let them go to MK for a few hours on their own. They did have cell phones and were good about texting me to let me know when they reached the gate and their whereabouts while in the park. Leading up to this on previous trips they often would be allowed to go ride a couple of attractions while I lingered over a beverage or dessert at a TS place in the same park. So yes, although I would (and have) let mine go off alone, when it comes to yours, it really depends on how well you think they can handle their independence (logistically and otherwise).

I grew up in Anaheim and my mom would drop me and my bff off at DL or Knotts for the day and go home. We were 13, and no cell phones (90's). I'd say no big deal, but stay in the same park with designated meet up times/places.

DS17, DS13, and DS9 have gone alone to another park while the rest of the family was in a different theme park. I expected DS17 to look after DS13&9 and he did just that with no problems. Not sure about two 14 yr olds though --- like everyone said, it's their maturity level and their ability to navigate the parks.

If the 14 year olds will be in the same theme park as you though, just on different rides/different areas of the park, then they should be fine if they have phones. Without phones is a no go. If a ride breaks down, and they have no phones, they will have no way of communicating to you what happened or where they are. You wouldn't want to put them in that situation.

My sister and I were about that age when we were first allowed to go off on our own and meet up later with our parents. This was way before cell phones.

It still is one of my best memories at Disney. It was so fun to be trusted to go off and meet up with my parents later.

I grew up in Anaheim and my mom would drop me and my bff off at DL or Knotts for the day and go home. We were 13, and no cell phones (90's). I'd say no big deal, but stay in the same park with designated meet up times/places.

Same story but it was “Marriott’s Great America” in the Bay Area, we were 11ish, and it was the early 80s.

I let my DS go off on his own (same park as us) at 15, and he did absolutely fine, so I think I'd allow it at 14 with two to watch out for each other.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter