Letting Teens go by themselves

I would. I have. esp. if they're together.... why not? 14 is plenty old to go have fun on property without parents- as long as they understand the bus system to get back to their room later (usually b/c one of my kids wanted to stay much later than me)

Our choirs went to WDW a couple of years ago, the kids went off on their own. My dd14 and dd16 go to NYC with friends with no adults. Actually, due to emergency surgery for me, they spent 2 nights alone in a hotel in Philadelphia last month (other families were nearby). They’ve also ubered, here and in Ireland, no adults.

I assume they are in high school? My kids have had phones since 6th grade or so, but they’ve also had at least the run of our town since 10 or so. When I was 10, I monorailed to MK alone and spent the day there.

I think responsible 14 year olds are plenty old enough to tour the parks alone (alone with another kid) but I would give them a phone when they are separated from the group. And if they aren't already familiar with the parks, I'd probably want to be in the same park as they are at least the first day, just so I can be sure they can read the maps, manage meet up times and places, etc.
Can they borrow a phone from from another adult in your travel group or get a cheap pay by the minute phone? Is Trac Phone still around? Something like that. Maybe even call your cell provider and ask if you can add a temporary line to your current plan and buy or borrow a second hand phone to connect to it.

Children 14+ can enter the park without an adult and can even take children younger than them around the parks .
I think 2 14yr olds that behave reasonably can be trusted to go on a few attractions by themselves.
When my sister was 14 and I was 12 we did our own thing when my parents were doing something we didn't care for like watching movies at Epcot.
This was pre cell phone days so to me them not having a phone is not that big of a deal.
Just tell them to meet you at a certain place at a certain time.

I would if I was in the same park. Although its unlikely something would happen- like a storm or transportation problem or illness- I wouldn't want to be too far away. It can take forever to get from one park to another if they needed you for something....On our last trip our boys were 14 and 15 and they loved doing a few rides in Epcot while we had dinner. They also loved going to the quick service food at our resorts, without us.

Our rule was 13 ... same park for a few hours ,with phones and never alone. Thing is by 13 our boys knew the parks well enough that we felt ok with this. The problem might be your 10 year old. When our big boys were 13, the youngest was 11. ( these are all cousins). He would have been very sad to be left with mom and Dad while the older guys went off alone. He was in fact quite mature and we were comfortable with him joining the older boys. If they will all three get along , I would, with a cell phone,
Etthem go for a couple rides and then meet back up. Reality is we have always, almost always, ended up staying together and enjoying each other. Sometimes they really don’t want as much independence as they really think they do.

I would if I was in the same park. Although its unlikely something would happen- like a storm or transportation problem or illness- I wouldn't want to be too far away. It can take forever to get from one park to another if they needed you for something....On our last trip our boys were 14 and 15 and they loved doing a few rides in Epcot while we had dinner. They also loved going to the quick service food at our resorts, without us.
But are you always within 5 minutes of your kids? And if my kids were in a situation where I needed to get their quickly, I’m getting in a cab or Uber.

I let my kids do the Agent P adventures in Epcot by themselves. 12, 12, and 7. We sat at the entrance of the country they were in.

But are you always within 5 minutes of your kids? And if my kids were in a situation where I needed to get their quickly, I’m getting in a cab or Uber.

Of course not. But we had a tricky situation last trip while at TL. A storm came up, and the kids were in line - along line- for a raft ride. They were all herded off of the steps and put under cover. We (adults) were in the park too but not near them. We had to take shelter near a food stand. The park was basically shut down for 90 minutes and only after about 30 min were we able to get to the kids. I was very glad we were in the same park for the duration of that storm and not wondering where they were and if they were ok.
Another time we were all stuck in torrential rain at night at HS. We were not allowed to leave the GMR and even though we were all together, in the craziness of the storm we got separated running to the exit with thousands of other people. Bus lines were nuts. Cab lines were long too. We were stuck there in the dark, everyone wearing hoods and ponchos- it was confusing and my Mom got lost! We couldn't pull out cell phones in the terrible rain. No way would I wanted my kids to have been at another park dealing with that alone.

Of course not. But we had a tricky situation last trip while at TL. A storm came up, and the kids were in line - along line- for a raft ride. They were all herded off of the steps and put under cover. We (adults) were in the park too but not near them. We had to take shelter near a food stand. The park was basically shut down for 90 minutes and only after about 30 min were we able to get to the kids. I was very glad we were in the same park for the duration of that storm and not wondering where they were and if they were ok.
Another time we were all stuck in torrential rain at night at HS. We were not allowed to leave the GMR and even though we were all together, in the craziness of the storm we got separated running to the exit with thousands of other people. Bus lines were nuts. Cab lines were long too. We were stuck there in the dark, everyone wearing hoods and ponchos- it was confusing and my Mom got lost! We couldn't pull out cell phones in the terrible rain. No way would I wanted my kids to have been at another park dealing with that alone.
That’s why cellphones really come in handy. You were still separated, it’s a good learning experience for the kids. Unfortunately, with lockdowns at the schools, they do gain experience (and sometimes text me). They learn self reliance and not to panic.

Dd21 was on a bus trip alone, coming home, and it broke down on the highway hours away, late at night (she was 16). They had to wait a couple of hours for a replacement. I was so nervous, she was fine. As teenagers, they are going to be in situations without parents around, and it’s not always a bad thing.

Our kids are 13, 10, 10. They all have phones. We not only let them go off on their own, we encourage it. We always stay in the same park as them, and check in with them from time to time, but they love exploring on their own.

At that age I let my son go do a ride or two with a cell phone. But I don't think I would allow him to " do Disney " off on his own even if there were two. I would never let them go alone without a phone. But that's just me. I feel like 16 is a better age for alone for longer periods of time.

At that age I let my son go do a ride or two with a cell phone. But I don't think I would allow him to " do Disney " off on his own even if there were two. I would never let them go alone without a phone. But that's just me. I feel like 16 is a better age for alone for longer periods of time.
I’m guessing your kids are younger?

That’s why cellphones really come in handy. You were still separated, it’s a good learning experience for the kids. Unfortunately, with lockdowns at the schools, they do gain experience (and sometimes text me). They learn self reliance and not to panic.

Dd21 was on a bus trip alone, coming home, and it broke down on the highway hours away, late at night (she was 16). They had to wait a couple of hours for a replacement. I was so nervous, she was fine. As teenagers, they are going to be in situations without parents around, and it’s not always a bad thing.

At the water park, the kids didn't have their phones- they were in bathing suits going on water rides all day. And at the HS storm, there was no way to get phones out and even try for reception for awhile, and when we could, we didn't get connections.

I’m guessing your kids are younger?
lol. Well I have a large span in my kids ages. My oldest which I was talking about is about to be 18....so no not younger. I just don't let my kids go off at Disney young. I think 14 years old to do a ride or 2 with a phone is reasonable. And 16 to go for longer periods.

This is very much a personal parenting decision.

I used to be a lot more protective when my older kids were younger. But honestly, the experience of putting my kid in a car at 16 and letting him drive somewhere, and of putting my 18 year old in a car and letting him drive into the city every day for college, had me scrambling to adjust with our younger child. I decided by the time they take off in a car, I want them to have experienced various levels of independence and thinking on their own so we could all feel more confident when those bigger milestones came along. I have found that giving some independence at Disney (in a more controlled environment than the local mall) is a great first step in confidence building.

lol. Well I have a large span in my kids ages. My oldest which I was talking about is about to be 18....so no not younger. I just don't let my kids go off at Disney young. I think 14 years old to do a ride or 2 with a phone is reasonable. And 16 to go for longer periods.
My youngest are almost 15, at this age they are going to the movies, out to eat, the mall, six flags (not just my kids, but also their peers), WDW is a nursery school in comparison. I’d let 10+ go on a couple of rides unaccompanied. At 16, kids are driving, are gone all day without supervision.

Thanks everyone. I was contemplating more of the same park - I wouldn't let them go to another park unless they do have cell phones. An old iphone or pay as you go is an option. They will be newly 14 when we go so still in 8th grade next year, not high school. I am comfortable with them riding a ride and meeting up. They already want to go explore everything by themselves, lol. I guess we will have to wait and see how responsible they are over the next year.

We have a 14 year old, on our last trip, we were at Epcot and he wanted to go back to the room, and we didn't want to. So we let him go back to the room by himself (he's been to WDW like 8 times in 3 years, so he's familiar with where to go). But if he didn't have a phone, we wouldn't have been comfortable with it. We do let him go off in the park on his own if he wants to for a while, but we wouldn't let him to do it for the whole afternoon. But I think this is one of those things where you have to know you own kid and their comfort level.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter