Letting Teens go by themselves

When I think of all the times they let loose the middle school band upon our local theme park, I really don't think it's a big deal. Sure the local theme park is smaller, but we'd get off the bus, go in the park, and be told "THE BUS HOME LEAVES AT X TIME". Heck my middle school had a ski club that went to the mountain friday nights, and i'm pretty sure people broke off into smaller groups. Again there were parameters, you couldn't go off by yourself and the bus left at such and such a time.

This was all before cell phones were a thing.

Honestly the only people I ever lost in a park were my 60 something grandparents because my grandfather HAD to stop to take 189734590138745093487509348725 pictures of the tree of life when my sister and I wanted to ride Dinosaur. My teenaged cousins were easy to find...

I would. I stayed at the campground with a group when I was 14 and one of my friends was 13. We did just fine getting their using Disney transportation and getting back. And there were no cell phones in those days. (80's). We had watches and our parents could trust us. I have a 14 year old currently. I'd have no issues with him walking around the theme park I'm in without me and without a friend without a cell phone. If he went in/out of the park without us, then I'd want an additional responsible teen with him. There are CM's all over the place they can ask for help if they need it.

Cell phones can make it easier to meet back up if you don't want to plan everything out though. I just got my first cell phone a few months ago and my teen does not have one. However, when we want to be able to communicate with him to make things easier, we give him my phone since my husband also has a phone.

When my sister and I were 15 and 13 (35 years ago WAY before cell phones) the only rule my mom gave us was "You better not miss the tour bus back to our off-site hotel." I just traveled with my sister and my 13yo son. We enjoyed just relaxing with a beverage and he would text us and let us know which rides he was on. This worked especially in EPCOT where the adults preferred WS and the teen much preferred FW.

This is a question only you can answer. We have 4, one as always been mature beyond her years, one I still can't trust to cross the street(she's not overly cautious).

Thanks everyone. I was contemplating more of the same park - I wouldn't let them go to another park unless they do have cell phones. An old iphone or pay as you go is an option. They will be newly 14 when we go so still in 8th grade next year, not high school. I am comfortable with them riding a ride and meeting up. They already want to go explore everything by themselves, lol. I guess we will have to wait and see how responsible they are over the next year.
nothing make teens follow rules faster than if you cant follow rules you are with mom and dad doing what mom and dad want. granted a different park and before cell phones but my girls used to do their thing and meet up with us like 3 times a park day. never had them be late for a meet or have any trouble with CMs. in fact when younger one, who is special needs, went on Disney trip with her high school choir. her trip parent told me her group was one of 3 from whole choir that were allowed on last day to go to what ever park they wanted as they made every check in on time. 2 of the 4 member had traveled with us doing this before. she was in 10th grade

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!