Lids/Straws

brockash

DIS Veteran
For anyone that's been in the last few months, can anyone give an update on lids/straw availability at Disney?

Do they provide them at counter service locations throughout the parks?
Do they provide them at Resorts?
Do they provide them with kid fountain drinks?

Can you request and get them?

Thanks!

No lids this past week. Straws were available. I managed to spill my drink a lot.

They have lids. They only put them on children's cups. The children lid still fit on the adult size cup. We just went up and asked for lids and were given them without any problems.

Does anyone know if you can get a bottled drink at the QS places instead of a lid-less drink if you have the dining plan?

I went a few months ago and last week.
I was surprised last week that nearly everywhere I ate had straws when they were hard to come by last trip.
Resorts, Backlot Express, Be Our Guest, Cosmic Ray's, Earl Of Sandwich, Big River Grille, The Wave... all had straws.
Only place that didn't have them was Le Cellier Steak House.
I did notice much in the way of lids outside of kids drinks though.
My guess is you can request a straw if they are not sitting out for you to freely take but most times I heard someone ask for a lid they were given the response they are only given to kids.
If anyone was going to spill it would be me the visually impaired person and I can manage lol.

Yikes. Sorry missed that . Day 14 of a 21 day stretch of work in a row will do that I guess

QUOTE="Queen of the WDW Scene, post: 60044917, member: 585015"]As I pointed out they do give kids for kids drinks. No need for sippy cups especially if they are no longer using them at home.[/QUOTE]

I think I am going to bring our lidded Tervis tumblers for DH and myself when we go in January to dump drinks into. We like to keep a drink in the stroller and I can just imagine them sloshing around quite a bit without lids.

I think I am going to bring our lidded Tervis tumblers for DH and myself when we go in January to dump drinks into. We like to keep a drink in the stroller and I can just imagine them sloshing around quite a bit without lids.
That's when you just buy a bottle of water or soda. I rarely see anyone walking around the park with a quick service cup other than the small water cups.

That's when you just buy a bottle of water or soda. I rarely see anyone walking around the park with a quick service cup other than the small water cups.
Oh we do all the time. Actually it's pretty rare for us to not have a few fountain drinks walking around or in the stroller. We don't like bottled sodas and ice water is free so we rarely buy a bottle of anything. Not having lids for us is a pretty big pain, but I can see how those who prefer bottles wouldn't really notice.

Not to mention so very unsanitary! In restaurants, fine, outside, no!

I appreciate that there is a move to eliminate waste such as lids and straws. But if, let's say "half" of people who were buying drinks with lids/straws switch over to buying drinks in plastic bottles is that an improvement? Perhaps so, I really don't know.:confused3

I appreciate that there is a move to eliminate waste such as lids and straws. But if, let's say "half" of people who were buying drinks with lids/straws switch over to buying drinks in plastic bottles is that an improvement? Perhaps so, I really don't know.:confused3

When you understand the reasoning bottles are actually better.
Lids and straws are essentially too light/thin of plastic to be recycled according to articles I've read anyways.
Plastic bottles can easily be recycled.
Does this reasoning make me happy? No. I like lids and straws but at least I kinda get it.
What annoys me more now is ok lets get rid of lids and straws but hey Ziploc just sponsored our ride so lets hand out little plastic thin bags instead.

When you understand the reasoning bottles are actually better.
Lids and straws are essentially too light/thin of plastic to be recycled according to articles I've read anyways.
Plastic bottles can easily be recycled.
Thanks, I didn't know about the difficulty of recycling lids/straws, but this makes sense. I have a couple of DGDs who def need lids & straws if they're drinking from a cup, good to know kids can still get them. Custodial CMs are going to be burning through a lot of mops.;)

That’s because they didn’t think ahead and bring a Tervis with a lid ;) mama likes soda with ice, bottled ones just aren’t the same.
I thought I was unique. I despise bottled soft drinks. The more ice the better. Btw:I heard on a documentary that Coca Cola company has different formulas for bottles vs fountain. Its something to do with ph of the seltzer water from fountain.

I thought I was unique. I despise bottled soft drinks. The more ice the better. Btw:I heard on a documentary that Coca Cola company has different formulas for bottles vs fountain. Its something to do with ph of the seltzer water from fountain.

40 years ago, coke syrup was delivered in a cardboard box that looked like a humongous milk container. You had to open it, and then pour it into a container on the machine. There was a knob which you were supposed to adjust to make the soda stronger or weaker. As the product was dispensed from the fountain, the water and carbonation took place right at the nozzle. After tasting coca cola dispensed this way, I never wanted a can or bottle again. An interesting feature of the dispenser at the Woolworth's where I worked was that you could slightly pull the handle and it would dispense pure syrup. Pushing all the way forward on the handle dispensed carbonated water without syrup. I assume the feature was there to allow a true "jerk" when making floats. I don't recall ever seeing anyone use the handle in that way. They'd just pull it back, where it dispensed both syrup and carbonated water.

Coke also delivered product pre-mixed and gassed and ready to dispense in "corny" kegs. I never much liked those. I always felt the mix ratio was off, and the product kind of weak.

20 years ago, coke switched to "bag in a box" syrup. Their dispensers went computerized, which standardized the taste of the product. No longer could penny pinching restaurants turn the knob all the way down to make the product almost entirely water. I'm not really that happy with the mix ratio on these, either.

40 years ago, coke syrup was delivered in a cardboard box that looked like a humongous milk container. You had to open it, and then pour it into a container on the machine. There was a knob which you were supposed to adjust to make the soda stronger or weaker. As the product was dispensed from the fountain, the water and carbonation took place right at the nozzle. After tasting coca cola dispensed this way, I never wanted a can or bottle again. An interesting feature of the dispenser at the Woolworth's where I worked was that you could slightly pull the handle and it would dispense pure syrup. Pushing all the way forward on the handle dispensed carbonated water without syrup. I assume the feature was there to allow a true "jerk" when making floats. I don't recall ever seeing anyone use the handle in that way. They'd just pull it back, where it dispensed both syrup and carbonated water.

Coke also delivered product pre-mixed and gassed and ready to dispense in "corny" kegs. I never much liked those. I always felt the mix ratio was off, and the product kind of weak.

20 years ago, coke switched to "bag in a box" syrup. Their dispensers went computerized, which standardized the taste of the product. No longer could penny pinching restaurants turn the knob all the way down to make the product almost entirely water. I'm not really that happy with the mix ratio on these, either.

For some reason, McDonalds of all places has the best tasting Coke. I read that it's because they chill the syrup before putting it into the dispenser or something??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!