Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

More later, but a short recap...
I have now more than doubled my number of porta potty visits. Man, those things are disgusting.
Started the race with a friend, got to see my dad four times, met @evre13, and saw my friends in the Bronx.
Going in, I thought a good goal for the day was sub-6. I would have broken 5:45 had I not stopped for amaretto cake, coffee, and gin & tonic from my friends in the Bronx.

Not really doing much celebrating, since my dad had a family emergency to deal with (hopefully all okay, it just required his presence), and I don't have alcohol in the house. Will probably head out in 20-30 minutes for final finishers. Still haven't had my venti latte (will likely get it on the way back to the park).

Overall, a good experience and a good race, but I'm not planning to do it again.

Definitely not running next year:

I decided Sunday morning that I want this volunteer shift. Yes, it's early, but I get a jacket and if my friends are doing a cheer station in the Bronx again, I can join in.

Recap hopefully coming either tonight or tomorrow.

Also, at work today I was that ******* that told everyone I ran a marathon. The medal was my fun fact in my first orientation session.
First day of work was decently good, though. Just a lot of info. I got the Macbook Pro I wanted, but the TouchID is not enabled (but I'm told it will be soon).

Week In Review: October 28th - November 3rd, 2019 - Week 9 of NYC Marathon Training
Very short recap with minimal pictures. Hopefully I will make up for it with the race recap later this week.

Monday:
  • Scheduled: 45 minutes easy
  • Actual: Run - 44 minutes Easy/LR Intervals,
Ran down to the RUNCENTER to see if they had the marathon medal there. I think I like it more in person than I did from the picture, but I’m still not 100% in love. Apparently it’s farther than I thought, but that’s okay, because I was running faster than I realized.

Swag Update:
Went to Member Monday Course Strategy at the Marathon Pavilion. Got my pint glass and free drink. Hung out with some friends for a few minutes, then cut out early to get to something else.

Fun Update:
Went to a Harry Potter trivia with my roommate and some people. It was fun, but I really wish I had finished my reread first, since there were things I was unsure about from the later books. Our team came in second, which was awesome. The team that won had way more people than we did, so we definitely had more points per person than they did.

Tuesday:
  • Scheduled: barre3
  • Actual: barre3 with Lauren
Good class! My hips and glutes hurt before class started, so I was worried I wouldn’t be able to do a lot of things, but the only thing I struggled with was a side plank sequence, and that was because of an arm thing (for some reason I cannot do anything that involves only having one arm on the mat - this has been going on for a while and it’s a little weird). I’ve been worried that I’m not well rested enough for the marathon, so I was a little unsure about this class, but I’m glad I went.

Wednesday:
  • Scheduled: 30 minutes easy
  • Actual: Run - 2.57 miles, 32:58 minutes, 12:49 min/mi avg pace
I ran in Central Park (yes, on purpose). I forgot how close to my apartment the bag check area actually goes. Things were definitely starting to be set up (fences were up, signs were starting to go up). I wanted to see the finish line, but that’s too far south for this short of a run.

Cursed Child:
As I mentioned, I had tickets to Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. I liked it. The plot was garbage, which I already knew from having read the screenplay, but the staging and theatrical performance were amazing. I also really like the music. Definitely recommend it.

Thursday:
  • Scheduled: barre3
  • Actual: barre with Kelly
Really good class. Very glad I went despite the late night and busy week. Had a chance to chat with Kelly about the marathon after class, which was fun and somewhat helped my nerves.

Friday:
  • Scheduled: 20 minutes easy
  • Actual: 1.43 miles, 15:53 minutes, 11:05 min/mi avg pace (oops)
Was gonna skip this one because of timing issues, but then I decided to just go out in the dark, since the streets are somewhat lit and people are commuting, even before 7. It worked out okay (and I tried to run on the better lit side of the street), but I don’t know that I’d do it regularly.

Saturday:
  • Scheduled: Rest Day!
  • Actual: Rest Day!
Sunday:
  • Scheduled: NYC Marathon
  • Actual: Run - 26.2 miles, 5:46:15 hours, 13:13 min/mi avg pace
More on this in the marathon recap (I’m gonna try to write it tonight), but I’m very happy with my time. I know two things I could have skipped that would have shaved off a total of about 10-12 minutes, but in both cases I made the right decision - one was a portapotty stop that had I not stopped, my dad would have missed our first arranged meet up (train issues), and the other was a chance to chat and get encouragement (and cake and coffee and alcohol) from friends.
I definitely would have come in below 5:45 had I just waved to spectators I knew instead of stopping, but I wanted to stop and say hi to people, and I think the conversations were definitely good motivators.
All in all, I’d say it was a great final marathon experience.

What's Next:
Was originally planning to go back to barre today, but I decided to give my legs the extra day (I may or may not regret that decision). Planning to be back tomorrow, then run Thursday.
Next race is unclear. Rangerstown is a question mark because of family stuff (my mom said I should do the race, but I'm not sure I want to). After that is Princess 5K and half.

First off, congratulations on starting your new job and finishing your second and final marathon!

I definitely would have come in below 5:45 had I just waved to spectators I knew instead of stopping, but I wanted to stop and say hi to people, and I think the conversations were definitely good motivators.
I think for those of us who are recreational runners it's very important to have a better experience than a faster time. Not to say we can't have both, but rather that having a better experience will be more meaningful in the long run. I guess I'm saying that stopping to talk with friends and get motivation/encouragement/a pick me up from them will be a more treasured memory than the final race time.

Hopefully everything is good on the family front.

First off, congratulations on starting your new job and finishing your second and final marathon!
Thank you!

I think for those of us who are recreational runners it's very important to have a better experience than a faster time. Not to say we can't have both, but rather that having a better experience will be more meaningful in the long run. I guess I'm saying that stopping to talk with friends and get motivation/encouragement/a pick me up from them will be a more treasured memory than the final race time.

Yes! Definitely agree! The encouragement I got means way more to me than any finish time ever could.

The Long Way From Staten Island to Central Park: 2019 TCS New York City Marathon Race Recap
Sunday, November 3rd, 2019
Official Time: 5:46:15

The Days Before:
In the days leading up to the race, I started to freak out a little. Yes, I had scrapped my goal, but because of some life stuff I had going on, I just wasn't feeling great about the race.

I went out with some friends after the expo, and I kinda freaked out on them. I ended up meeting up with run friends two other times before the race, and it helped to be around other runners, but I was still feeling nervous. So I really wasn't sure how this was gonna go.

Getting To The Start:
One of my run friends was in my corral and was taking the same time bus as I was, so we agreed to meet up before the bus. I took the subway down to midtown (lots of runners on my train), then walked to 42nd & 6th, then had to walk back to 40th and 6th to get into the line ... sigh. Whatever. I saw a lot of volunteers out and decided that I want to do that volunteer shift next year
Eventually I found my friend and we got on the bus together. Bus took 30 minutes to get to the Verrazzano Bridge ... and an hour to get over the bridge. Fun stuff.

Start Area:
Once we got to Staten Island, my friend had to pee, but there were no bathrooms before security (she thought about not using a porta potty, but didn't see a good spot). Once we got through security, the porta potties had very very very very very long lines, but we waited in line for an hour (at the beginning of which I ate my breakfast), and eventually we got to pee.
Once that was done, we went into the start village, where we got coffee, ditched layers, and sat down for a few minutes ... before heading back to the corral area. Eventually they started walking us to the start, so I ate my pre-race gel and ditched whatever throwaway layers I had left. I realized that I had lost one of my jelly bean bags at some point (I had three and lost the one with the most jelly beans), so I had to do some thinking about how to adjust.

There was a lot of pumping up the crowd stuff, but eventually we heard the start cannons, they started playing "New York, New York" ... and we were off.

The Race:
I started the race with my friend, but then we separated when I hit my first walk interval (we had different intervals planned). My approach for the bridge was to stop and take pictures when I felt comfortable doing so, and I managed to get some decent ones.

I definitely felt like I was going out too fast (a fact that I confirmed when I caught up to my friend a few miles in). At some point in the fifth or sixth mile I had to pee, so I stopped at a porta potty at the mile 6 marker. The line was not short (but not super long), and I considered skipping the stop and hopping back out on the course, but I didn't want to have to wait another few miles to pee, so I stayed in line.

The next big milestone was the 4th-9th St subway stop, where my dad would be waiting for me. I got there and saw him and gave him a hug - and it turned out he had just gotten there a few minutes earlier - so, good thing I stopped. My dad sent me back off to run, and then it was more running through Brooklyn. There were lots of people out cheering, handing out candy, and (my favorite) high fiving the runners. So I got a lot of encouragement from the crowd, which was nice.

The next milestone was near mile 12, where my dad would be waiting for me. I got a little mixed up with what street I was on, so I thought I missed him but I didn't.

After Brooklyn, we ran over the Pulaski Bridge, and I took a picture of the most important sign:

The bridge wasn't too bad. We were only in Queens for a little bit, but the parts that stick in my mind the most were seeing a local Jewish organization out cheering/supporting (something I didn't see in Brooklyn), and then grabbing some chocolate to help with the fact that I hadn't been fueling that well.

Soon enough I was on the 59th St Bridge. A lot of people were walking, but I stuck with my intervals, minus going over to the side for pictures:
The bridge was definitely rough, but I found that having practiced running over that bridge helped me feel more confident.

Off the bridge and to First Avenue I went. My father had warned me that going from the bridge onto 1st, you get a big boost from the loud crowds. Maybe it's because I'm so slow, but I didn't feel like there were super big or loud crowds there. So whatever. My dad texted that he would be in a different spot than we originally discussed, and apparently I have #MarathonMathBrain, because I was very wrong about how close I was to his spot (I said very close when I was a mile away).

Anyway ... eventually I made it to where my dad was, I said hi, and then I went off running again and he told me where his next spot would be. This was in the mid-80's. I knew that @evre13 would be in the low 90's, so I wanted to be on the look out for her. I saw someone that I thought might be her, but I wasn't 100% sure ... so I deliberated and decided to go over and see if it was her. And it was! It was great to finally meet her, check in with a friend, and chat. I definitely appreciated the friendly face, and I even made sure to get a picture for proof that we met:

Up First Avenue we went, until we reached the Willis Ave bridge and made it into the Bronx. This bridge was not my favorite, but I knew that my run crew would be spectating out in the Bronx, so I was just looking forward to getting to their spot. Once I made it there, I stopped to chat, got some Amaretto cake, some coffee (Starbucks bottled Frappuccino that I had given my friend to bring for me), and a little gin and tonic. This stop was mostly about me having some fun and chilling with friends. I think it can best be summarized by my friend's Facebook comment:

Seeing my friends was a huge boost, and it helped get my spirits back up for the trek into Manhattan.
Back in Manhattan, things were tough, but having a nice crowd helped. I just wish they hadn't been blocking the sides of the road (yes, the spectators were out on the course). My dad was waiting for my in Central Park, which helped keep my motivation up despite the hills. I started to struggle in the last few miles, especially out on 59th St/Central Park South. I wanted to finish extra strong, but didn’t feel it in me. Had I thought I could get in under 5:45, I would have pushed harder, but by the point I got back into Central Park, I knew it wasn't gonna happen.

I crossed the finish line with an official time of 5:46:15.

Post Race:
After the race, I got my medal, stopped for a picture, got my snack bag, and then walked all the way up hill to get my poncho. But it was worth it because that poncho is amazing. So frikkin warm and comfy. No idea if I'll ever use it again, but so comfy.

I met up with my dad across the street from the Starbucks where we originally planned to meet (because crowded). I didn't feel like I needed my warm clothing (warm poncho!!), so I just took my sandwich from him, and we walked to my apartment. I got what I needed from him, and then he went home.

Finish Line After Dark:
After stretching and showering, I got dressed again to head back to the finish line. NYRR does a huge party for the late finishers - there were MCs, a DJ, a video crew, glow sticks, and lots of people cheering for the finishers who were out on the course for 9+ hours. I really enjoyed being out there and I'd like to go back next year.

Overall Thoughts:
This course definitely has an energy like nothing I've ever experienced before. It was fantastic and I enjoyed that energy.
That said ... I didn't enjoy running the 26.2, and while I didn't have the same #done feeling I had during WDW Marathon, I also didn't feel at all motivated at any time to do another marathon.
This was my last marathon, and I'm totally cool with that.

What's Next:
Princess 5K and Half, February 2020

Unfortunately, it looks like I’ll have to miss Rangerstown. I’m bummed, but we’re doing family shindig and there's a meal at the house and I have/want to be there to help.

Attachments

• 1573097325636.png
    1573097325636.png
    20.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
THIS IS NOT A DRILL STARBUCKS IS GETTING RID OF GINGERBREAD LATTE HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO SURVIVE????

I totally feel you. I was so disappointed when I heard this. I am hoping that Starbucks brings it back later this season after the uproar that has been happening. I also went out and got my free red cup today. It was way less hectic that I thought it would be. For once they had enough cups for everyone.

Congrats on finishing. I really enjoyed your recap and it sounds like it was overall a good experience.

Great recap! Looks like it was a blast!
Thank you!
I loved reading the whole recap — and I’m so glad that you came to say hello!
Thanks again for being out there - it was so nice to meet you and I'm glad I came over to chat!

Really enjoyed reading about your experience- sounds like a fun day! Congrats on finishing your 2nd (and I have a feeling not your last ;) ) marathon!
Thank you - but definitely my last marathon. It definitely reinforced my desire to do more halfs, though.

I totally feel you. I was so disappointed when I heard this. I am hoping that Starbucks brings it back later this season after the uproar that has been happening. I also went out and got my free red cup today. It was way less hectic that I thought it would be. For once they had enough cups for everyone.
I stopped off at Starbucks in the middle of my run just to see if they would have cups when I finished my run 20 minutes later (I know last year was chaos so I was afraid the answer would be no), and the barista looked at me like I was nuts. Apparently this year was way less nuts than last year.
And I was told to complain to corporate about the gingerbread latte thing. They have it in Canada, so they definitely are still making the flavor, so I hope they decide to bring it back to the US soon.

Congrats on finishing. I really enjoyed your recap and it sounds like it was overall a good experience.
Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter