Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

This is a safe space to rant. I agree with all of this. The long-term effects of 2020 and 2021 will probably change the landscape of baseball forever. I'm not thrilled about that.
It's very risky to the game. Not enough people seem to be talking about what happened to attendance after 1994. I think too many people want a work stoppage regardless of the cost to the health of the game. I do not like the various moves designed to shorten the length of games that involve literally removing so much of the strategy. Find another way. If soccer can do it, certainly MLB can. Or any other sport for that matter.

COVID-19 Wellness Focus - Week "Just You Wait" - July 6th - July 12th, 2020

Monday:
  • 3.13 mile run, 45:05 minutes, 14:24 min/mi avg pace (I honestly think the distance was a bit short on this one but I'm too lazy to map it out and check)
  • 57 minute walk, 2.63 miles (walked with a friend ... with a large pause in the middle to make friends with strangers)
Tuesday:
  • barre3 with Vicky Livestream - 60-minute class
  • 31 minutes walk, 1.70 miles
Wednesday:
  • 8.67 mile run, 2:04:57 hours, 14:24 min/mi avg pace
Thursday:
  • Rest Day
Friday:
  • 2.37 mile run, 33:35 minutes, 14:10 min/mi avg pace
Saturday:
  • Rest Day!
  • My name is Alexander Hamilton, and there's a million things I haven't done, but just you wait, just you wait ... more on that later
Sunday:
  • barre3 with Babette Livestream - 60 minute class

Total Running:
3 runs, 14.17 miles, 3:23:37 hours

Total barre3:
2 Livestream classes
Total time: ~ 2 hours

Walks:
2 walks, 1:28 hours

I know this seems like a down week, but considering some schedule stuff and life stuff, it was actually a really successful week and I'm happy with how it went.

Healthy Eating:
Okay-ish, but I still know I can do better.

Life:
So ... this week. Not my best life week for a few reasons. I haven't been feeling so awesome, and I kinda feel like my head's not screwed on straight. So I withdrew from some things and some conversations while I figure myself out. It's a process, but I know I'll get there.
Also ... I missed a socially distanced outside baby shower for a friend because I'm at the 'rents and I'm kinda bummed about that, but it's also nice to be with my family for a bit.

#HamilFilm Review:
I liked it, I didn't love it. The songs were decent, but I can't see myself listening to the soundtrack regularly.
My parents both pointed out that if you don't know the history, it's hard to follow what's going on in the show. I definitely agree. I didn't see it as a way to teach history to a new generation, I saw it as more as a show for people who are already knowledgable about Alexander Hamilton and his life.
Also ... we watched it on July 11th. Just saying. (Although we didn't get to the duel until after midnight, so it was a day late)

COVID-19 Wellness Focus - Week "Downstairs to the Kitchen" - July 13th - July 19th, 2020

Monday:
  • 3.38 mile run, 47:00 minutes, 13:55 min/mi avg pace
Tuesday:
  • barre3 with Kelly Livestream - 60-minute class
Wednesday:
  • 5.16 mile run, 1:11:33 hours, 13:52 min/mi avg pace (this run was originally planned as 6.2-7 miles but I suck at getting out of the house sometimes)
Thursday:
Friday:
  • Rest Day (this was unplanned, but I think my brain needed it)
Saturday:
  • Rest Day!
Sunday:
  • barre3 Online - 10 minute class
  • 3.27 mile treadmill run, 42:30 minutes, 12:59 min/mi (did progressively faster miles, but then walked at the end so that I didn't get treadmill dizzy so that slowed down the overall pace)

Total Running:
3 runs, 11.81 miles, 2:41:03 hours

Total barre3:
2 Livestream classes
1 online class
Total time: ~ 2 hours

Walks:
0 walks

I'm not so good with the walks when I'm at the house, but I got in an extra run, so that's a win.

Healthy Eating:
Meh?

Life:
Nothing much doing, just family stuff. I think 10 days is about my limit on how long I can stay at the house ... I was there for 12. So the end of the week was interesting.

Super impressed by the regular inclusion of a long run. I’m 0% doing that.

I really like Hamilton but I can’t see LMM as anything other than my sister’s middle school English teacher, so the soundtrack is weird for me. Really a pity because the rest of the cast kills it.

Super impressed by the regular inclusion of a long run. I’m 0% doing that.
Thanks! I've found long runs easier than short runs ... if I didn't think my body would hate me for it, I'd only do long runs.

I really like Hamilton but I can’t see LMM as anything other than my sister’s middle school English teacher, so the soundtrack is weird for me. Really a pity because the rest of the cast kills it.
Ha! I always forget that he taught for a bit. Cool that your sister had him, but I could see how that would affect how you see him. He was actually my least favorite part of Hamilton ... I really liked Lafayette/Jefferson.

Note: The rant contained in this post is not directed at anyone here. This is just the safest space I have right now to share my thoughts.

Okay. I can pretty much guarantee, just from being a human who has heard the word "cybersecurity", that Garmin's entire security team has been working all weekend to find and patch the vulnerability. And the higher-ups are probably working with the appropriate authorities to find out who is behind this and taking their guidance from authorities on how to respond.

Yes, it's annoying, but unless people want this to happen again, it needs to be handled properly, not necessarily quickly.

So everyone shut the **BLEEP** up and let Garmin fix this.

COVID-19 Wellness Focus - Week "Life Without Syncing" - July 20th - July 26th, 2020

Monday:
  • barre3 with Lauren Livestream - 60-minute class
Tuesday:
  • 10.02 mile run, 2:17:34 hours, 13:44 min/mi avg pace
  • 1:15 hour walk, 3.44 miles (with a Friend)
Wednesday:
  • barre3 with Lauren Livestream - 60-minute class
Thursday:
  • 3.32 mile run, 45:11 minutes, 13:37 min/mi avg pace
  • barre3 with Jess Livestream - 60-minute class
Friday:
  • Rest Day
Saturday:
  • 1:45* walk, 5ish miles (with a Friend) - I actually don't know how long this walk was, since I wasn't wearing my watch, but that time seems like a good guestimate, so I'll go with it. It may have been slightly more or slightly less.
Sunday:
  • 3.17 mile run, 47:10 minutes, 14:51 min/mi avg pace - did this one as my runDisney Virtual Series Space Mountain 5K. I will try to have a race recap up eventually, but there really wasn't much exciting going on.
  • barre3 with Jenna Livestream - 60-minute class

Total Running:
3 runs, 16.51 miles, 3:49:55 hours

Total barre3:
4 Livestream classes
Total time: ~ 4 hours

Walks:
2 walks, 3:00 hours

Healthy Eating:
I tried. Does that work?

Life:
I honestly don't remember anything that stands out about this week. Is that weird? Baseball started, which was great, but it's gonna end soon because 'rona, so ... yay sportsball while it lasts. Nothing much else doing.

Life:
I honestly don't remember anything that stands out about this week. Is that weird? Baseball started, which was great, but it's gonna end soon because 'rona, so ... yay sportsball while it lasts. Nothing much else doing.

Between the Blue Jays having to play their home games in Buffalo and 1/3 of the Marlins testing positive after the first weekend, I can't see how anyone would think this season can or should make it all the way to the end. Manfred needs to pull the plug sooner rather than later. The only sports which have a chance of pulling off play this year are the individual sports where it's easy to isolate like golf or tennis, the ones in a bubble like basketball, and the European soccer leagues where the teams and players were not in a bubble but remained almost totally isolated.

Between the Blue Jays having to play their home games in Buffalo and 1/3 of the Marlins testing positive after the first weekend, I can't see how anyone would think this season can or should make it all the way to the end. Manfred needs to pull the plug sooner rather than later. The only sports which have a chance of pulling off play this year are the individual sports where it's easy to isolate like golf or tennis, the ones in a bubble like basketball, and the European soccer leagues where the teams and players were not in a bubble but remained almost totally isolated.

At work today someone was saying that baseball should have done a bubble. I don't know that it could have worked (too many teams, too long of a season). As much as I missed baseball and I wanted a season ... I want them to pull the plug before it gets worse. Alas, that's not likely to happen.

COVID-19 Wellness Focus - Week "What Is My Knee Trying To Tell Me?" - July 27th - August 2nd, 2020

Monday:
Tuesday:
  • 1:15 hour walk, 3.39 miles - this started out as a solo 20 minute walk, then once I was out I decided I wanted to go up to 30-45 minutes, then I was joined by a friend and we ended up walking for longer than I planned. Really probably should have kept it under an hour, but it was fine.
Wednesday:
  • 2.06 mile "run", 37:40 minutes, 18:15 min/mi avg pace. So ... this thing. About 0.2 miles in, my knee started to feel "off". Then about a block later, it really hurt. So I walked for a bit, then tried running again. I made it about a quarter of a mile before it started hurting again. I decided to just walk home, but added a few blocks to get to 2 miles.
Thursday:
  • Rest Day
Friday:
  • 1.26 mile "run", 23:45 minutes, 18:52 min/mi. I wasn't sure how this one was going to go because of the knee, but I planned to try my 60/30 run/walk and go from there. I made it about 0.35 miles before my knee started to act up, then I shut it down. Decided to walk to get up to 20ish minutes. Garmin died when I was a block from home.
Saturday:
  • Rest Day!
Sunday:
  • barre3 Online - 30 minute class
  • 2 walks, total 1:08 hours, 2.61 miles - got together with my run crew on the East side of Central Park, so that was walking there and back.

Total Running:
2 "runs", 3.32 miles, 1:01:25 hours

Total barre3:
2 Livestream classes
1 online class
Total time: ~ 2.5 hours

Walks:
3 walks, 2:23 hours

So ... the knee thing. It's weird because something feels off in the joint, but there's also muscle pain (both in the quad and on the side of the knee), which is more normal. I think I'm going to shut down for a week and try walk/run again on either Friday or Sunday, flipping my run and walk intervals (ie 60 seconds walk then 30 seconds run). Will figure out next steps based on how that goes. Honestly, I wish I could use this as my excuse to permanently shut down running, but there are too many people around me who expect me to continue running until I drop dead, so that's not gonna happen.

Healthy Eating:
Okay. Not great. I need to not buy BarkThins because I go through them too quickly.

Life:
Work is stressing me out a bit, but hopefully that will pass after my performance review this week. Going home later today to see Beth (well, I'll see her in the car since my parents are picking me up on the way back from picking her up), plus I get to see my grandpa on Wednesday, which will be nice since I haven't seen him since pre-COVID. So a lot going on, but all good things.

Also ... just shut down baseball already. It's not gonna work. I wanted a season, and I wish this could work, but we're barely a week in and we've already had 3 teams have to postpone games. Players keep opting out (one of them did not bother to tell his team ... oh, Cespedes). Teams that have players come up positive are scrambling to sign new players so that they can play. It's just gonna get worse. Put baseball out of its misery and cancel the season. Also #FireManfred.

COVID-19 Wellness Focus - Week "No Knee No Move?" - August 3rd - August 9th, 2020

Just putting this out there: my plan was to not run until Friday the earliest, but still get some exercise in every day. That plan failed. Oops?

Monday:
  • Rest Day (unscheduled)
Tuesday:
Wednesday:
  • barre3 Online - 10 minute video
Thursday:
  • barre3 with Katie Livestream - 30 minute class
Friday:
  • Rest Day (unscheduled)
Saturday:
  • Rest Day!
Sunday:
  • 2.53 mi Walk + Walk/Run, 40:32 minutes, 16:01 min/mi - 3 min walk + intervals of 60 sec walk/30 sec run + 3 min walk. Knee held up okay. The 30 second run felt so short and the 60 second walk was so long. I think next step is 45/45.

Total Running:
1 "run", 2.53 miles, 0:40:32 hours

Total barre3:
2 Livestream classes
1 online class
Total time: ~ 2:10 hours

Walks:
0 walks

Not happy with how this week went, but whatever. Knee seems to be improving and tomorrow is a new week.

Healthy Eating:
Meh.

Life:
Was at the house for the week, which was nice because everyone was there, but I sometimes feel like I'm less myself there. It's fine. I'm okay with it. Just gotta keep moving forward when I can.
Also, got to see my grandpa for the first time since pre-COVID, so ... yay! That was great.

How are you feeling about moving in NYC?

Like moving apartments? It should be doable (my neighbors actually just moved out). I was contemplating it in March and April as my lease was up for renewal but couldn't find anything I liked. If I found something now, I'd consider it, but I'd also probably want to actually see the apartment because I'm picky.
There are definitely good deals out there, so it's a good time to do it. It's just important to disinfect everything.

COVID-19 Wellness Focus - Week "No Snacks, Yes Drinks" - August 10th - August 16th, 2020

Monday:
Tuesday:
  • 1:07 hour walk, 3.19 miles
Wednesday:
  • 4.18 mile run to barre3, 55:04 minutes, 13:10 min/mi avg pace
  • barre3 Outdoors with Lauren - 30-minute class. An actual in-person barre class! My studio started doing them Saturday evenings on the street outside the studio, and then added two 30-minute classes (across the street) in the morning during the week. This is the first one I was actually able to attend. It ended up being 4 people - me, the instructor, another instructor who was helping out, and the studio manager. I felt super self-conscious. But it was fun. I will try to be back, just not sure when.
  • 1:22 hour walk home from barre3, 4.28 miles (yes the to and from were different distances ... has to do with when I started and stopped)
Thursday:
  • barre3 with Amanda Livestream - 60-minute class
  • 49 minute walk, 2.72 miles ... this was actually running errands, but I'm counting it.
Friday:
  • 4.40 mile run, 58:49 minutes, 13:21 min/mi avg pace. This was a struggle from start to finish, but ... that's just the way it goes sometimes.
Saturday:
  • Rest Day!
Sunday:

Total Running:
2 runs, 8.58 miles, 1:53:53 hours

Total barre3:
4 Livestream classes
1 outdoor class
Total time: 4:30 hours

Walks:
3 walks, 3:18 hours

Healthy Eating:
My goal for this week was to not snack after dinner. Did really well Monday through Friday. Not so great Saturday, but I also tend to not eat a real dinner on Saturday nights. Was back on track Sunday. So we'll see if this habit can stick and how it makes me feel.
Oh, and I did drink a bit after dinner one night but my official decision is that liquid snacks don't count. So I'm good.

Life:
Had a few small bursts of normal and some safe social interaction, so that was really nice.

Other than that, nothing too exciting going on. Work is work. Apartment is apartment. Family is good. Oh, Beth and I have started watching Muppets Now! on Disney+. We liked the second episode best, but the third episode was good too. Didn't love the first episode. Pepe the King Prawn is the best game show host ever. And that is all I have to say.

COVID-19 Wellness Focus - Week "Farm Box & Sigh" - August 17th - August 23rd, 2020

Monday:
  • 3.16 mile run, 44:01 minutes, 13:57 min/mi avg pace
  • barre3 online - 10 minute class
Tuesday:
Wednesday:
  • 5.18 mile run, 1:07:02 hours, 13:20 min/mi avg pace - this was originally scheduled as a 2 hour or 9 mile long run (whichever was shorter), but I didn't sleep well, so I decided to stay in bed a little longer and cut it short. Plan was this run + 5K either Thurs or Fri (total 12ish miles), so I ended up just breaking the 12 miles up differently.
  • barre3 online - 30 minute class - did this one while updating the operating system on my work computer ... that was a mess, but at least it's done (it started with my company doesn't actually let us update the operating system and spiralled from there).
Thursday:
  • 7.39 mile run, 1:46:07 hours, 14:22 min/mi avg pace - Not thrilled with this pace, but I ran in long sleeves, so I'm happy about that
Friday:
  • 1:15 hour walk, ??? miles. Walked with a friend but I wasn't wearing any sort of watch or other tracking device so I'm just guessing on the time and not even gonna try to guess the distance
Saturday:
  • Rest Day!
Sunday:
Total Running:
3 runs, 15.73 miles, 3:37:10 hours

Total barre3:
2 Livestream classes
2 online class
Total time: 2:40 hours

Walks:
1walks, 1:15 hours

Healthy Eating:
Meh. Although I did bake banana bread. It was good.
Although I did drink all three brands of beer that I had in my apartment all in one night, so I kinda won drinking this week. Plus I stayed up late to watch a good hockey game while finishing beer #3, so it was all good.

Life:
Not a great week, but that's just the way it goes sometimes.

Last edited:
It is Monday. So far this week I have yelled at someone I've known for 15 years (one of the few people I've known for more than a few years that I still talk to), possibly killed a formerly fun and very busy group chat, and worked an almost 9 hour day with minimal lunch break.

It's 2020, so I'm not even gonna try to guess what nonsense I'm gonna do the rest of this week.

Last edited:
Hope your Tuesday is better and you're able to patch things up with your friends

Well it started off with me apparently not being able to share my screen in a meeting and later I had to restart my work computer because of a system prompt that wouldn't go away that was preventing me from doing my work, so ... it's been a fun one. But a little better than yesterday. Thanks.

COVID-19 Wellness Focus - Week "Workaholic or Bust" - August 24th - August 30th, 2020

Monday:
  • runDisney Virtual Series Haunted Mansion 5K - 3.18 mile run, 46:49 minutes, 14:44 min/mi avg pace. I ran past a few mansions-turned-museums on the Upper East Side for this one. I don't think they're haunted. Here is a picture of the Cooper Hewitt Design Museum, formerly the Carnegie Mansion: (Oh, and still no medals.)
20200824_072619.jpg

Tuesday:
Wednesday:
  • 4.34 mile run (to barre3), 58:02 minutes, 13:22 min/mi avg pace. Times Square at sunrise is an assault on the eyes:20200826_062010.jpg
  • Outdoor barre3 class with Kelly - 30 minute class
  • 1:30 hour walk, 5.01 miles - took the long way home from barre3 (detour through Central Park) and it was wonderful.
20200826_085001.jpg

Thursday:
Friday:
  • barre3 with Amanda Livestream - 60-minute class
Saturday:
  • Rest Day!
Sunday:
  • 2.26 mile run, 30:16 minutes, 13:24 min/mi avg pace
Total Running:
3 runs, 9.78 miles, 2:15:07 hours

Total barre3:
3 Livestream classes
1 Outdoor class
Total time: ~3:30 hours

Walks:
1 walk, 1:30 hours

Healthy Eating:
Could have been better, could have been worse. I dropped off the "no snacks after dinner" bandwagon and I want to get back on it, so maybe tonight?
Depending on how much longer I'm here before heading back to Queens (should be another 2 weeks or so), I may try a PeaPod order. I'm so used to Whole Foods and Key Food that I forgot that you can actually buy things at decent prices at normal supermarkets. So I will give Stop&Shop a try. If only because their canned vegetable prices are actually decent (sorry I am not paying $1.39 for canned vegetables, that's nonsense). Hopefully their produce will be good.

Life:
Ugh. It felt like each day was worse than the one before. But at least it's over, right? I haven't murdered anyone yet, so I think we're doing good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter