Life Alert or something similar for seniors?

720L

DIS Veteran
Has anyone known somebody that uses Life Alert or a similar system? My grandpa needs something that he can use to get help. He lives alone & has become prone to falling. We tried a cell phone but he couldn't figure it out. (We got him a Jitterbug, very basic)

We had a local community hospital that had its own medic alert program for seniors. It had the monitor and the push button for my father. I liked that it was local, they came in to install it, and show my father how to use it. This was years ago so I don't know if there is still anything like this. Of course getting him to use it was a struggle.

Like snowysmom said, often there is a local company. You can call your local department of aging and ask what is available in your area. Some home alarm systems have this option also.

Bay Alarm Medical has a device with a fall detection feature, not sure about other companies.
We've been happy with them for my mom.

I've had my mom with life alert for a few years now. I also pay a little extra so she can have a mobile GPS system that she can use if she gets in trouble when she's out and about. There is a base system in the home and you can use the pendant around your neck or on a wrist strap. They want you to test it every so often to make sure everything is working properly. My mom has used it for medical reasons, and it was very helpful. They'll want a list of emergency contacts, and they'll ask you to stash a key somewhere so EMS can get into the house. I used a lockbox and affixed it to a pipe by the front door.

my mom is 90- I have the medic alert hooked in with our alarm system- she wears it around her neck. She also always has her cell phone with her (she is a major texter!). Funny side story- she can't remember the names of all her "machines" so she calls her iPhone her "texting machine" and her ipad is her "facebook machine" and her desktop is her "game machine". They keep her busy and connected to the outside world.

Wal Mart sells some I think they are about 50$ than u purchase a monthly plan.

Make sure that whatever you get is something your grandfather will actually wear/keep with him and use. We had a system for my mother because she had balance problems. She fell a few times after we got the system but she never used it because she wouldn’t carry the push button with her. We ended up having to put her in assisted living and then into memory care.

I hope you find something that works for you and your grandfather, I know how scary it is to have someone you love struggle with this issue and worry about them falling and unable to summon help.

When DMIL was in assisted living, all the "inmates" (her term for the residents) wore pendants that were emergency call buttons. They were designed to work inside the building, not when the residents were out and about with friends/family. They wouldn't have done much good if the resident "wandered" but there was a "receptionist" (guard) at the door if someone went AWOL.

I’ve fallen way too many times in the past two years. I am getting an Apple 4 watch that has fall detection and cellular.

I now use a wheelchair pretty much full time, but I still fell once last week during a transfer.

Thank you for all of your replies. I'm going to try & find a number for a department of aging, I would like somebody local. He needs one that works outside the house also, he has a barn that used to have cows but now has cats that he feeds. That's where he has been falling. He has mentioned to me he might need something like this so hopefully he will wear it. He never kept the Jitterbug with him so it was useless.

We had Phillips Lifeline for my mom. Had the additional fall detection feature added. She only took it off when she got a shower, but had help for showers so she wasn't alone. It was connected through the phone line and if you fell or pushed the button someone would come on to see if you were ok. Unfortunately, her hearing was not good so if she was in another room she really couldn't hear the person talking to her. My sister and I were both the contact people if they couldn't reach my mother. We also had a lock box on the front door if anyone needed immediate access before we could get there.

I recall it costing $50 a month but that was about 2 years ago. We were not charged for the equipment and when she was done using it we sent it back. There was also no contract to sign. Which is the reason I didn't go with Lifeline, I felt that there were a lot of hidden cost with them. Make sure you research whoever you decide to use and ask lots of questions.

my mom is 90- I have the medic alert hooked in with our alarm system- she wears it around her neck. She also always has her cell phone with her (she is a major texter!). Funny side story- she can't remember the names of all her "machines" so she calls her iPhone her "texting machine" and her ipad is her "facebook machine" and her desktop is her "game machine". They keep her busy and connected to the outside world.

Wow, she's quite an active little lady - good for her and you!!! :flower3:

We had Phillips Lifeline for my mom. Had the additional fall detection feature added. She only took it off when she got a shower, but had help for showers so she wasn't alone. It was connected through the phone line and if you fell or pushed the button someone would come on to see if you were ok. Unfortunately, her hearing was not good so if she was in another room she really couldn't hear the person talking to her. My sister and I were both the contact people if they couldn't reach my mother. We also had a lock box on the front door if anyone needed immediate access before we could get there.

I recall it costing $50 a month but that was about 2 years ago. We were not charged for the equipment and when she was done using it we sent it back. There was also no contract to sign. Which is the reason I didn't go with Lifeline, I felt that there were a lot of hidden cost with them. Make sure you research whoever you decide to use and ask lots of questions.
That's what I'm worried about, hidden costs. I googled reviews & have been researching diff companies. I like to hear opinions from my DIS friends.

That price is crazy- I have mine connected to my alarm system and pay less than that for my whole house monitoring including the medic alert!

That price is crazy- I have mine connected to my alarm system and pay less than that for my whole house monitoring including the medic alert!

It was 2 1/2 years ago. There weren't as many options as there are now.
However, mom must have slipped off of the sofa (we know she didn't fall as the alert system wasn't triggered) and never pushed the button. She was also right next to the phone. Dementia was setting in at that point and fortunately my sister stopped in we think shortly thereafter.

I found out that the latest Apple watch has a fall sensor that will call 911 after 60 seconds if the owner does not respond. I am seriously considering buying one for my mom.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!