Life as a Tri-pawd

Don't stress too much about the chemo. I am being 100% honest here in the 5 treatments we did the hardest part was the one day that the wifi in the vet's office didn't work and I had bad cell service so I was stuck in the waiting room for an hour or so with only the HGTV to watch! LOL!
Okay THAT made me laugh! Luckily there's a Starbucks in the same plaza as the animal hospital so I have a backup plan!

Thirty year hospital nurse here. That is a MAJOR surgery, and I think it's not at all unusual to still be sore for a while. Pain is caused by inflammation and swelling, as well as nerves and such being cut. Recovery will be gradual. Don't second guess yourself at this point, because nothing is wrong, what you're experiencing is just part of the recovery process. Slowly, any fluid from inflammation will be gradually reabsorbed. The gabapentin will help the nerve pain until you can wean her off it. I wouldn't push it, though, just get through the next week or so. This was never going to be a one week full recovery!

Every case is different, too. I remember when I had my hysterectomy. I'd heard and read about some women recovered at a week or two. For me it took a full six weeks, as going into it, I was very deconditioned from horrible pain and bleeding for a couple of months, and I hadn't realized how much it had taken out of me. I'd also had more structures removed than most, as well as a condition of my uterus that we didn't know about. During recovery I was really bummed out, and even scared, as I couldn't even make it back to my house one day after a forced walk! But looking back on it now I see that of course I was going to have a more difficult recovery! Each and every case is unique to that person or living being. So don't get bummed out if it takes a little longer. Eventually she will be fully recovered! I told you I've also had chemo as well. We can talk about that when we get to that point, but don't worry about it. My main point is that every case is unique.

Last edited:
Thirty year hospital nurse here. That is a MAJOR surgery, and I think it's not at all unusual to still be sore for a while. Pain is caused by inflammation and swelling, as well as nerves and such being cut. Recovery will be gradual. Don't second guess yourself at this point, because nothing is wrong, what you're experiencing is just part of the recovery process. Slowly, any fluid from inflammation will be gradually reabsorbed. The gabapentin will help the nerve pain until you can wean her off it. I wouldn't push it, though, just get through the next week or so. This was never going to be a one week full recovery!

Every case is different, too. I remember when I had my hysterectomy. I'd heard and read about some women recovered at a week or two. For me it took a full six weeks, as going into it, I was very deconditioned from horrible pain and bleeding for a couple of months, and I hadn't realized how much it had taken out of me. I'd also had more structures removed than most, as well as a condition of my uterus that we didn't know about. During recovery I was really bummed out, and even scared, as I couldn't even make it back to my house one day after a forced walk! But looking back on it now I see that of course I was going to have a more difficult recovery! Each and every case is unique to that person or living being. So don't get bummed out if it takes a little longer. Eventually she will be fully recovered! I told you I've also had chemo as well. We can talk about that when we get to that point, but don't worry about it. My main point is that every case is unique.
Absolutely agree. My main goal is to keep her comfortable so she gets the rest she needs. I think we can stay ahead of it now.

I hear ya, we read and hear miracle stories all the time but no one patient is the same. She is really doing well. She’s safe and at home with me every day (I think I’ve mentioned that I work from home), so she will get through this (and so will I, hehe). Thank you all again for the great input and for keeping me in this atmosphere. :)

Hey all - Ciara's doing good. I think we evened her out on pain meds and she is starting to fall back in some old habits like seeing if I'm cooking, begging for food, etc. I'm optimistic that she'll be even stronger next week.

I did have a couple questions that have come up over the last few days, if anyone has experience with them.

First is - she does fairly well on the 3 legs, but will she gain more strength as she heals? I guess I worry that her back will hurt or something like that.

Second - my husband thinks she's lost weight since bringing her home. With upcoming chemo treatment, we want to make sure she stays strong as possible. Did anyone supplement their post-op pups with eggs or chicken while they healed or after chemo?

I'll be sure to ask my vet's opinion too, just thought I'd see if anyone has any similar experiences.

Hey all - Ciara's doing good. I think we evened her out on pain meds and she is starting to fall back in some old habits like seeing if I'm cooking, begging for food, etc. I'm optimistic that she'll be even stronger next week.

I did have a couple questions that have come up over the last few days, if anyone has experience with them.

First is - she does fairly well on the 3 legs, but will she gain more strength as she heals? I guess I worry that her back will hurt or something like that.

Second - my husband thinks she's lost weight since bringing her home. With upcoming chemo treatment, we want to make sure she stays strong as possible. Did anyone supplement their post-op pups with eggs or chicken while they healed or after chemo?

I'll be sure to ask my vet's opinion too, just thought I'd see if anyone has any similar experiences.

Katy had the front leg amp and her back 2 legs are weaker due to knee surgeries and arthritis. What I noticed is she started to place her remaining front leg more into a centered position much like a tripod that helped her with balance and that leg also bulked up more in muscle over the following weeks. I'm not sure if a back amp will do the tripod thing in the same way, but it wouldn't surprise me. She gained much more strength than she had in those first few weeks. She will tire easier than she used to, but she's also almost 11 and has arthritis. You might not find it to be the case as much as we have. She used to go for a 3-mile walk easily. Now, it's just around the block or 2 (longs blocks with hills though!). The thing is she used to be more at a walking pace and now with the amp it is more hopping, almost running. I am sure if she had tried to run for 3 miles pre-amp she would have tired too!

Katy was about 76 lbs at the time of her surgery. First, visit or so after she was about 71, so we figured the leg and tissue was app. 5 lb that she lost. She still was retaining fluid at that point though. She looked skinnier due to all the hair shaved (she's a golden retriever so lots of puffy hair!) By the beginning of October and the last chemo treatment, her weight was 67, but she looked a little bulkier before due to her muscles and her hair growing back. This is a good healthy weight for her. The last thing you want is for them to be carrying any extra weight on 3 legs vs. 4! When Katy was diagnosed, before the amp I started supplementing with a fish oil pill and also started adding a sardine to her nightly meal (she LOVES these!). I buy the wild Alaskan ones in olive oil. They seem to be the best for not falling apart, etc. I get them at Costco. I read the higher Omega 3's will help with cancer. The sardines are also very high in protein for the little number of calories they add. Now, I have no way to know if they are working or not, but her hair is softer and shinier!

imageService
71z4UXbkJZL._SX522_.jpg

I haven't read through all of the pages of this thread, but if you did happen to amputate the leg, just remember there are doggy wheelchairs that don't appear to hinder life for the dog.
Plenty of DIY options too, if you all are handy...just make sure to get the height perfect for the dog to prevent any more pain.

c.jpg

Best wishes!

Katy had the front leg amp and her back 2 legs are weaker due to knee surgeries and arthritis. What I noticed is she started to place her remaining front leg more into a centered position much like a tripod that helped her with balance and that leg also bulked up more in muscle over the following weeks. I'm not sure if a back amp will do the tripod thing in the same way, but it wouldn't surprise me. She gained much more strength than she had in those first few weeks. She will tire easier than she used to, but she's also almost 11 and has arthritis. You might not find it to be the case as much as we have. She used to go for a 3-mile walk easily. Now, it's just around the block or 2 (longs blocks with hills though!). The thing is she used to be more at a walking pace and now with the amp it is more hopping, almost running. I am sure if she had tried to run for 3 miles pre-amp she would have tired too!

Katy was about 76 lbs at the time of her surgery. First, visit or so after she was about 71, so we figured the leg and tissue was app. 5 lb that she lost. She still was retaining fluid at that point though. She looked skinnier due to all the hair shaved (she's a golden retriever so lots of puffy hair!) By the beginning of October and the last chemo treatment, her weight was 67, but she looked a little bulkier before due to her muscles and her hair growing back. This is a good healthy weight for her. The last thing you want is for them to be carrying any extra weight on 3 legs vs. 4! When Katy was diagnosed, before the amp I started supplementing with a fish oil pill and also started adding a sardine to her nightly meal (she LOVES these!). I buy the wild Alaskan ones in olive oil. They seem to be the best for not falling apart, etc. I get them at Costco. I read the higher Omega 3's will help with cancer. The sardines are also very high in protein for the little number of calories they add. Now, I have no way to know if they are working or not, but her hair is softer and shinier!

Those are good ideas! And right now Ciara is doing more of the hop but kind of looks like she's turning in the remaining back leg. Just trying to prevent any tweaking...

I haven't read through all of the pages of this thread, but if you did happen to amputate the leg, just remember there are doggy wheelchairs that don't appear to hinder life for the dog.
Plenty of DIY options too, if you all are handy...just make sure to get the height perfect for the dog to prevent any more pain.

Best wishes!

Hey there - we did amputate. I'm not sure they make the wheelchairs for larger breeds?

c.jpg

Best wishes!
Hey there - we did amputate. I'm not sure they make the wheelchairs for larger breeds?
Yes, these look like ones from Eddie's Wheels. We've had two different sets for our German Shepherds. (One that we had for one dog was burned in a fire, so we had to get another set for a second dog, both with DM. Yes, I've had lots of fun dealing with pet medical issues along with my own!) Check out their website, Sara. I'm not sure you'd need one for your dog, but for longer walks it might be helpful. They are quite expensive, though! The first set we bought new, but the second set I was fortunate to find on Craigslist. They have to be the right fit. (Still kind of sour that I lent the second set to someone I met for their dog, and they never gave them back to me.)

Ugh, having a rough night here. Ciara is acting very agitated and I think it's the Tram - have had her on the max dose 3x a day plus Gabapentin (nerve blocker) 2x day. She got the last Tram at 3:30pm and for the last hour has panted and licking her paws and bed like crazy. Not sure why that would happen at hour 6 of the dose? She got her Rovera a little late tonight at 8:15, could it be that?

I can't get her to stop until she gets bored of it and lies down. It's kind of freaking me out. I want to give her the Gabapentin tonight since it's supposed to be a sedative. This has been happening since Sunday, but tonight feels particularly bad. The vet just says to take it down a notch, but what do I do if she's in pain without the full dose? I don't feel like I have any way of gauging how much pain she's in so I feel like I can't help her. :-(

Gabapentin for a dog?? Hope it doesn't mess her up like it did me! Never again! Wasn't like a sedative or nerve pain med at all, made me totally agitated. I hated it, and won't ever take it again.
Sure seems like they have her on a lot of meds!! Hope she heals ok and is herself soon.

Gabapentin for a dog?? Hope it doesn't mess her up like it did me! Never again! Wasn't like a sedative or nerve pain med at all, made me totally agitated. I hated it, and won't ever take it again.
Sure seems like they have her on a lot of meds!! Hope she heals ok and is herself soon.
Yeah this is the 2nd dog I’ve had that was prescribed with Gaba. We added it on Sunday because she seemed in pain and it helped. I think the other one is making her nutty, despite what the nurse told me on the phone yesterday. She’s finally settled and I hope she konks out soon. *fingers crossed*

We weren't prescribed either of those meds after the amp so I am not much help with those. Katy had the Tylenol/codeine for about the first week after the amp and then Carprofen after that. Carprofen is an anti-inflammatory med that seems to help her a lot. We tried to decrease the dose and could tell right away. She takes that every day now to keep any inflammation at bay due to arthritis. Could you ask the vet if there are some alternatives to the Tram?

Katy was prescribed Tram when she first started limping and we thought it was a shoulder strain. She only took it a couple of days because it didn't seem to help (now know it was cancer) but also because it just made Katy seem really "off". It's hard to describe what that looked like. Carprofen helped her more at that time as well.

Why is Tram^&#* a forbidden word?

We weren't prescribed either of those meds after the amp so I am not much help with those. Katy had the Tylenol/codeine for about the first week after the amp and then Carprofen after that. Carprofen is an anti-inflammatory med that seems to help her a lot. We tried to decrease the dose and could tell right away. She takes that every day now to keep any inflammation at bay due to arthritis. Could you ask the vet if there are some alternatives to the Tram?

Katy was prescribed Tram when she first started limping and we thought it was a shoulder strain. She only took it a couple of days because it didn't seem to help (now know it was cancer) but also because it just made Katy seem really "off". It's hard to describe what that looked like. Carprofen helped her more at that time as well.

Why is Tram^&#* a forbidden word?
We’ve been on the Carprofen (Rovera) for a while, so I don’t think that’s the issue. She was on Tram after the bone biopsy and we increased the dose after the surgery. The Gaba is supposedly ok to use with or without the Tram. I’m trying without the Tram tonight but will do 2x a day and wean her off it over the weekend unless she shows pain. And yeah, why is the word banned??

I think I understand what you mean by “off” - she’s not quite right. Not to mention that she’s been aloof the last 8 days for the most part, which is not her “normal”....this unfortunately has me second guessing everything but I keep remembering what you said that this is the worst part. I want it to pass so badly!

We’ve been on the Carprofen (Rovera) for a while, so I don’t think that’s the issue. She was on Tram after the bone biopsy and we increased the dose after the surgery. The Gaba is supposedly ok to use with or without the Tram. I’m trying without the Tram tonight but will do 2x a day and wean her off it over the weekend unless she shows pain. And yeah, why is the word banned??

I think I understand what you mean by “off” - she’s not quite right. Not to mention that she’s been aloof the last 8 days for the most part, which is not her “normal”....this unfortunately has me second guessing everything but I keep remembering what you said that this is the worst part. I want it to pass so badly!

It will be a distant memory soon. I promise!

Sorry I didn't realize Rovera is Carprofen!

Ugh, having a rough night here. Ciara is acting very agitated and I think it's the Tram - have had her on the max dose 3x a day plus Gabapentin (nerve blocker) 2x day. She got the last Tram at 3:30pm and for the last hour has panted and licking her paws and bed like crazy. Not sure why that would happen at hour 6 of the dose? She got her Rovera a little late tonight at 8:15, could it be that?

I can't get her to stop until she gets bored of it and lies down. It's kind of freaking me out. I want to give her the Gabapentin tonight since it's supposed to be a sedative. This has been happening since Sunday, but tonight feels particularly bad. The vet just says to take it down a notch, but what do I do if she's in pain without the full dose? I don't feel like I have any way of gauging how much pain she's in so I feel like I can't help her. :-(
Sometimes even in people we have to try to figure out if they're in pain when they can't tell us. There are signs.

I googled around a bit to try to help you figure this out. I think your instincts may be correct about the Tram as long as there isn't anything else going on with Clara in terms of infection (surgical incision, UTI), she's eating, drinking, peeing and pooping normally, and otherwise seems ok.

This, I thought, was a good article for you to read:

https://metro-vet.com/references/post-operative-management-at-home/

The gabapentin needs to be weaned when you do take her off of it. It helps enhance the other pain meds and should make her a little drowsy, if anything.

Here are signs of pain in animals:

a reputable veterinarian would know the specific signs to ask about or look for such as restlessness, heavy panting, shaking, whining or constant meowing, dilated eyes, fast heart rate, salivation, poor appetite, lethargy, limping, hiding, and behavioral changes.

(Took out link as it wouldn't let me post w whole word for Tram, but it's under Tram facts)

Sometimes even in people we have to try to figure out if they're in pain when they can't tell us. There are signs.

I googled around a bit to try to help you figure this out. I think your instincts may be correct about the Tram as long as there isn't anything else going on with Clara in terms of infection (surgical incision, UTI), she's eating, drinking, peeing and pooping normally, and otherwise seems ok.

This, I thought, was a good article for you to read:

https://metro-vet.com/references/post-operative-management-at-home/

The gabapentin needs to be weaned when you do take her off of it. It helps enhance the other pain meds and should make her a little drowsy, if anything.

Here are signs of pain in animals:

a reputable veterinarian would know the specific signs to ask about or look for such as restlessness, heavy panting, shaking, whining or constant meowing, dilated eyes, fast heart rate, salivation, poor appetite, lethargy, limping, hiding, and behavioral changes.

(Took out link as it wouldn't let me post w whole word for Tram, but it's under Tram facts)

That link was helpful, thanks! I find it interesting because the surgical nurse told me gabapentin was something I could give her as needed and it would be effective, but my regular vet said we needed to take it down gradually. So part of my frustration is getting conflicting information. I hate the dismissive nature of "oh, those medications don't do that." Okay, then why is my dog panting heavily and acting strange?

How is Clara doing this morning?

She's just....okay I guess. Definitely not acting like herself. Had to coax her to eat this morning. I made her some scrambled eggs too and she scarfed those down. She got Tram at 7:30 but started panting within 10 mins, so not sure it was in her system long enough to cause that. Wondering if I should be worried about infection or fever even though the incision looks fine to me (no redness or wetness). I plan to give the gabapentin at 10.

I think I'll call the vet soon to see if I should be checking for a fever....I'm sure I'll have to go buy a thermometer.

That link was helpful, thanks! I find it interesting because the surgical nurse told me gabapentin was something I could give her as needed and it would be effective, but my regular vet said we needed to take it down gradually. So part of my frustration is getting conflicting information. I hate the dismissive nature of "oh, those medications don't do that." Okay, then why is my dog panting heavily and acting strange?

She's just....okay I guess. Definitely not acting like herself. Had to coax her to eat this morning. I made her some scrambled eggs too and she scarfed those down. She got Tram at 7:30 but started panting within 10 mins, so not sure it was in her system long enough to cause that. Wondering if I should be worried about infection or fever even though the incision looks fine to me (no redness or wetness). I plan to give the gabapentin at 10.

I think I'll call the vet soon to see if I should be checking for a fever....I'm sure I'll have to go buy a thermometer.
You didn't want to try holding off on the tram this morning (as it mentioned in the link)? Do you think she still needs it for pain? She is what, a week out now? Was she not panting before she got the Tram, but only started after she got it? She is still on the NSAID too, right? I'd think that soon, that alone should be enough to manage her pain. If she's panting again today, I'd probably see how she does off the Tram - it might not agree with her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter