Lifting restrictions in pregnancy?

6_Time_Momma

<font color=blue>Still crazy after all these years
I have never been told before to restrict my lifting to a certain amount before in my pregnancies. I mean common sense would tell me not to lift a 100 pound item, but now the doctor is restricting me to 20 pounds?

My 3 year old weighs more than that! Are specific lifting restrictions common?

I think it depends on the person. I was told not to lift more than 20 lbs but I was also having what was considered a high-risk pregnancy.

Maybe your doctor is erring on the side of caution for some reason?

Had you complained about any unusal belly pain? When I was having my 2nd DS, like a fool I moved my furniture around. I didnt lift anything, I pushed it but a few days later I really didnt feel good, when I went in they said all was ok but when your Pregnant, all your stomach muscles surround the baby, and thats what I did was strain those. I guess because they are being stretched out its quite easy to irritate them.

But also like you, ive been pregnant many times, so Id guess you are probably somewhere in the same age bracket as me, having gotten pregnant after 8 years and it being twins plus the body being older, it takes a toll. Recovering from that pregnancy took a long time.

Just heed the DR.s advice and take it easy, your body deserves it!! Good luck

Kristy I would say in your case it would be normal. I had the restriction myself when Kevin was 3. Just explain to your dd that you can't always carry her anymore. Kevin took it quite well and he wanted to be carried everywhere. I would also talk to your doc. about her and how it might be difficult to not pick her up.

{{{HUGS}}} and prayers for you Kristy!

It was common when I was working for the other women to be told not to lift the heavier kids and stuff. I remember having more restrictions with my 2nd child because it was a troublesome pregnancy. I think your OB will be more cautious with this pregnancy.
How are you feeling?

When I was pregnant with my first child (24 at the time!), I remember the doctor telling me not to lift more than 25 lbs. Maybe some doctors just automatically give the weight restriction advice. When I got pregnant the second time, my oldest was only a year old. He already weighed over 30 lbs!:eek: The same doctor told me that lifting him in and out of his crib would be fine, just don't carry him around (with wasn't easy...he didn't walk til 17 months old!!:rolleyes: ).

I was in the same boat as you with baby #4. My 3rd child was stillborn. :( I was on MAJOR restrictions that time. Take your doctor's advice and take it easy. I think you are in a "high risk" category like I was the last time.

Colleen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter