Light sabers...worth the money?

OpieDoodle

DIS Veteran
Trying to plan in advance for our trip and save money as my husband is a HUGE Starwars fan. In the past there have been places you can build your own light saber in Hollywood Studios and at Disney Springs. I do not remember paying THAT much for them in the past. Is there really a big difference in this new experience and quality of the product?

The original photo I saw of them they looked much nicer than the previous ones you could make but the more photos I see the more I think they look the same!

$199.99 is just a lot of money to spend when we already have 3 of the ones you could make before at home.

They appear to be much nicer and I am sort of sad about this. I now have to buy 3 of the new ones on our next vacation. Not to mention 3 droids and the 10 year old saw a video of a Resistance jacket. Sigh I love Star Wars and passed it on and is coming back to bite me. I may have to budget 2K for Star Wars loot alone.

The land isn't even open to the public yet. I'd wait until there are more reviews to make a decision.

The hilts for the build your own saber are very high quality. They weigh a lot more than I was expecting. You build them as part of a whole show/experience. The blade is high quality and the whole thing reacts to movement and makes sound. They are a HUGE step up for the cheap plastic build your own they have had in the past.

Is it worth $200? Maybe. That depends on how much you love Star Wars. Would you buy one for that much outside of Galaxy’s Edge? Many people spend more than that on custom sabers from other vendors. Personally... I will probably fork over the money. My husband (who is a much bigger fan than me) says he would rather get one from another vender for less $$$.

Buy light sabers and jacket or go on another trip? Seems like an easy decision.

This is a trip planned for a while out and we go on vacations pretty regularly so we actually wouldn't have the time off for another trip HAH! We are going on a Disney cruise and then to Disney World in Jan. I am more trying to really plan ahead now as these are pricey items to make sure they're in the budget if needed! My husband REALLY wanted to go and make them until he saw the pricetag. He doesn't really do anything for himself and he loves starwars so I am more so trying to make sure he gets to enjoy himself some as well :)

Spending $2,000 on Star Wars merchandise for 3 kids is insane. Its not my money and impacts me none so do as you want obviously but that's crazy. I could be Jeff Bezos and I'm not doing that for my kids. Your 10-year-old saw a jacket and now you have to buy it? Just tell the kid no. Same with the light sabers. A week after you buy that, they won't be messing around with them. Insanity.

These may not necessarily be the kind of thing you buy for a kid.

I’m a Star Wars fan and know how much custom sabers cost, so for me, it’s worth it. For me! My kids already have little Hasbro plastic ones which are completely fine for them and they can pack them in their luggage and bring them with them if they want.

This is what I do: calculate how long it is till your vacation. Divide 200 by however many weeks it is. Put aside that amount of money every week and voila! When you go on your trip you'll have the money for the lightsaber. :-) Or, you know, anything else, because it may turn out that by the time y'all get to GE your husband will find something else he wants more, that's in the same price range.

As our prior lightsabers are now in pieces around the house, I won't be indulging in these any time soon. However, I did have a question - do these collapse? Based on what little I've seen, they appear to be "extended" the entire time. How do you transport these? They look bigger than a standard suitcase?

Spending $2,000 on Star Wars merchandise for 3 kids is insane. Its not my money and impacts me none so do as you want obviously but that's crazy. I could be Jeff Bezos and I'm not doing that for my kids. Your 10-year-old saw a jacket and now you have to buy it? Just tell the kid no. Same with the light sabers. A week after you buy that, they won't be messing around with them. Insanity.

Personally, we can't afford that for my kids but I don't think we would judge someone who can especially if their kids keep things nice and are old enough to understand the value. My kids? No way, we can't afford it for one but two my kids are all too young and won't understand regardless.

These may not necessarily be the kind of thing you buy for a kid.

I’m a Star Wars fan and know how much custom sabers cost, so for me, it’s worth it. For me! My kids already have little Hasbro plastic ones which are completely fine for them and they can pack them in their luggage and bring them with them if they want.

We have I think every toy light saber that has came out! The kids FAVORITE one? A cheap $5 knock off they picked up at Walmart one time! This is definitely something I'm looking into for my husband versus for my kids

This is what I do: calculate how long it is till your vacation. Divide 200 by however many weeks it is. Put aside that amount of money every week and voila! When you go on your trip you'll have the money for the lightsaber. :-)

We are going to be saving for more than just a light saber so it's a little more complicated than that ;) Trying to research now to determine if its something my husband will really want or not.

As our prior lightsabers are now in pieces around the house, I won't be indulging in these any time soon. However, I did have a question - do these collapse? Based on what little I've seen, they appear to be "extended" the entire time. How do you transport these? They look bigger than a standard suitcase?

I wondered this as well!

I did see on DFB that there is another set, not as involved and at a different merchandise location that started with an "S" that were $99.

If you have the money and it will bring you joy, go ahead... kids don’t really grasp the value of it, for them it’s a cool toy. I personally will never spend that amount of money for a Disney souvenir, they are overpriced no matter how superior they are.

Personally, we can't afford that for my kids but I don't think we would judge someone who can especially if their kids keep things nice and are old enough to understand the value. My kids? No way, we can't afford it for one but two my kids are all too young and won't understand regardless.

We have I think every toy light saber that has came out! The kids FAVORITE one? A cheap $5 knock off they picked up at Walmart one time! This is definitely something I'm looking into for my husband versus for my kids

We are going to be saving for more than just a light saber so it's a little more complicated than that ;) Trying to research now to determine if its something my husband will really want or not.

I wondered this as well!

They do not collapse. The standard blades are about 31" long. You can detach them from the hilt.

These are high quality. Metal hilts, heavy duty plastic-type material for the blades. You get to build one to your liking. the Kyper crystals have different things about them, even the ones that are the same color (trying not to give away things in case someone doesn't want to know).

These aren't really meant to be toys for a young child, at least at that price. There are legacy lightsabers, that you don't customize, for about $100.

ETA: My husband did the experience at Savi's during CM previews. He got very emotional at the end of the build (again, no spoiler). This is a guy who does not show emotions very well, kinda jaded, dislikes Disney.

There are other costs that add up with the lightsaber experience. A holocron (or two) for your Kyber crystals. Different blades, different crystals, different holster. Same thing with the droid building...yep, a droid for $99. then you'll want the backpack to carry it around in and a personality chip.

They do not collapse. The standard blades are about 31" long. You can detach them from the hilt.

These are high quality. Metal hilts, heavy duty plastic-type material for the blades. You get to build one to your liking. the Kyper crystals have different things about them, even the ones that are the same color (trying not to give away things in case someone doesn't want to know).

These aren't really meant to be toys for a young child, at least at that price. There are legacy lightsabers, that you don't customize, for about $100.

Great to know! I guess I need to make sure it'll fit in our luggage! I doubt TSA will be impressed if we carry a light saber through security after the trip LOL

Great to know! I guess I need to make sure it'll fit in our luggage! I doubt TSA will be impressed if we carry a light saber through security after the trip LOL

My DH flew through LAX, and was told by the TSA at the front of the line to check the blade (but could carry on the hilt). Other people on other websites have reported the same thing, and some have reported being able to take them on the plane. YMMV

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!