Light sabers...worth the money?

They appear to be much nicer and I am sort of sad about this. I now have to buy 3 of the new ones on our next vacation. Not to mention 3 droids and the 10 year old saw a video of a Resistance jacket. Sigh I love Star Wars and passed it on and is coming back to bite me. I may have to budget 2K for Star Wars loot alone.

Disney loves you

Personally, I'm thinking I'll go for the droid instead. I think these experience-based purchases are a smart move on Disney's part; I wasn't interested at all in buying a shoulder banshee until I learned that it's a whole adoption process from a rookery, and now I'm having to actively talk myself out of it (still might do it, but if I build a droid...maybe not; one expensive experience-purchase is probably enough per trip). So I'm looking at this in terms of wanting the experience and the memory of doing it, and the lightsaber appeals to me a lot in that sense from everything I've heard about it...but for $100 less I can build a droid that will probably give me more long-term enjoyment (and I think the droid will be easier to fit in my luggage).

Does anyone know if you can swap out the kyber crystal and interact with the holocrons if you get one of the legacy sabers they will be selling in the park? I personally think they look a lot better than the ones you can build.

A friend of mine who is a HUGE SW fan got to do this during CM previews. He said the sabers are probably worth $150 and the experience is $50, and felt that the entire thing was completely worth the cost.

My issues are: I love Star Wars, but I have no idea what I'd do with this afterwards. We are also a family of 3 and I would hate to experience this alone if they didn't allow me to bring both my wife and my 9/yo daughter in (I know the limit is 1 person not building). That said, I really really want to experience this.

Does anyone know if you can swap out the kyber crystal and interact with the holocrons if you get one of the legacy sabers they will be selling in the park? I personally think they look a lot better than the ones you can build.
I do not believe the legacy hilts have kyber crystals.

I think they are very cool looking but what on earth are you going to do with them?

I suppose if you wanted you could "display" it on the wall in your home - maybe put it on a shelf or get a couple of curtain-rod holders and put it on the wall. Of course some people who come over would ooh and aah over it and want to turn it on; but then you'd get some who'd laugh at you and call you crazy for 'wasting' money on something like that.

And of course, what you'd really need to do is have TWO lightsabers so you could 'duel' with them and everybody could hear the cool effects.

I suppose if you wanted you could "display" it on the wall in your home - maybe put it on a shelf or get a couple of curtain-rod holders and put it on the wall. Of course some people who come over would ooh and aah over it and want to turn it on; but then you'd get some who'd laugh at you and call you crazy for 'wasting' money on something like that.

And of course, what you'd really need to do is have TWO lightsabers so you could 'duel' with them and everybody could hear the cool effects.

Luckily, when you already live in a home with 10 sets of glass figure display cases, a light saber on the wall is the least of your guest woes.

Not for me. I am more intrigued by the droids, but I will likely take a pass on that even. I like SW but not that much. This stuff would just sit around the house and be clutter.

Having watched a few of the Savi's workshop videos the one thing that I think they should do is hire an actor to lead the workshop. The guy in the videos I've seen seem like standard CMs going off of a script whereas I think they could deepen the immersion of the experience if you have an old/seasoned actor to just give much more weight to the performance.

Similar to the actors used in the wand choosing ceremony at Olivanders at Universal would give it that final little OOMPH to completely sell the experience.

Also, in terms of the cost, I talked to a friend of mine who is big into Cosplay and has his own props workshop for costume and weapon builds.

He says $200 is a good price for the quality of the build, that it's customizable with hilt that's made of metal and gives you access to the internals.

That being said, it's tough to swallow if you're just looking at it as a souvenir. But in reality it's much more than that.

Having watched a few of the Savi's workshop videos the one thing that I think they should do is hire an actor to lead the workshop. The guy in the videos I've seen seem like standard CMs going off of a script whereas I think they could deepen the immersion of the experience if you have an old/seasoned actor to just give much more weight to the performance.

Similar to the actors used in the wand choosing ceremony at Olivanders at Universal would give it that final little OOMPH to completely sell the experience.

As another example, having the older, more seasoned (grizzlied?) actor as the lead in the Jedi Training academy I think adds a lot as well - much more believable

An actual actor would probably ask for too much money. There might be some aspiring actors among the CMs who could do it, but I'm sure the Mouse is happy with someone who just says the words.

Besides, even a seasoned actor would get tired of saying the same spiel every 20 minutes or so after a while. That's 21 performances every 8-hour day (with an hour for lunch). After a few days it's going to be rote and emotionless for just about anybody.

I agree on this, every vid I've seen so far has been meh, and that's no disrespect to the CMs, they just don't seem to be trained actors (and if they are... woof). On the other hand the wand ceremony is REALLY good in part because they seem to have invested in trained actors for the part.

The casting call for Gatherers at least here at WDW was very wide. I believe that they are hiring a lot of people for these roles and they will rotate between who delivers the spiel and who helps with the building. They are not trained actors but they have a lot of training and I believe the fluidity in delivery will only come with time

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter