Lightspeed ahead to a healthier you! April 2016 WISH challenge... all are welcome!

Good morning!! Welcome to your QOTD for Thursday April 28, 2016:

View attachment 164971

We all know that along with watching our carbs and/or calories, we need to watch our NUTRITION levels. Some plans/diets do a better job helping us with this than others. How are YOU making sure that you get what you need, every day (protein, carbs, macronutrients, etc)? Do you track these things?

I look at the info on mfp - they recommend 50% of carbs, 30% of fat, and 20% of protein. I try to keep my carbs a little lower - more around the 40% and I try to increase my protein to closer to 30%. It's to the point now where if I know if I have oatmeal in the morning that has a lot of carbs, I need to eat low carbs for my other meals. The main thing I'm looking at is calories, but it's still interesting to see the other numbers.

I also look at sodium, because I used to be over their recommendation by a lot every day, but that has gotten better.

My answer is exactly the same as @Dr Gunnie. I use MFP and have switched my preferences so that I get 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein. I also watch my sodium, but I have found since I have cut out a lot of processed foods that my sodium has naturally decreased.

I was too busy yesterday to reply, but I did read some WooHoos while waiting for my daughter at swim. Sounds like some good ones:) Mine was meeting with my coach to devise a training plan for my first full marathon. All I can say is I am excited but scared. The focus of this plan is not to finish in a certain time, but to make sure I get to the start uninjured and ready to run. Depending on the week I will run 3-4 times, and do two cross training days, one 60 minute, and another which will increase over the plan to 90 minute +. Its going to be a lot of work, but I am ready for the challenge!

My answer is exactly the same as @Dr Gunnie. I use MFP and have switched my preferences so that I get 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein. I also watch my sodium, but I have found since I have cut out a lot of processed foods that my sodium has naturally decreased.

I was too busy yesterday to reply, but I did read some WooHoos while waiting for my daughter at swim. Sounds like some good ones:) Mine was meeting with my coach to devise a training plan for my first full marathon. All I can say is I am excited but scared. The focus of this plan is not to finish in a certain time, but to make sure I get to the start uninjured and ready to run. Depending on the week I will run 3-4 times, and do two cross training days, one 60 minute, and another which will increase over the plan to 90 minute +. Its going to be a lot of work, but I am ready for the challenge!

Good luck on the marathon training! My mind is always blown when I think about those that do marathons or even half marathons. I can see myself maybe working my way up to a 10k, but no matter how much weight I lose I could never see me running that distance!

Slow clap for all you distance runners!

I went the easy route and picked up McDonald's for dinner. I ended up just grabbing an Egg McMuffin and I only stole 2 french fries. Not bad, but I'm worried about eating well until she gets back vs grabbing the quick/easy meal. Also, didn't get a chance to workout today, but hopefully my 25,000 steps will be enough to keep me from gaining pounds

I think we all have this fear during our weight loss journey. As food is our addiction, it can often seem like one bad step and we're down that slippery slope of bad habits. If you're tracking calories and points, one bad day won't mess you up! 25,000 steps is a LOT, so you should be okay :D Eventually you'll find a balance of knowing what you can eat in restaurants vs making something at home. Tuna sammiches are fairly easy and healthy - it's my go-to lazy dinner.

DS seems to be on the verge of making his college decision and he is leaning toward the most local school, so I'm excited about that!

I hope this happens so you can have him around a little bit longer!

The one bright spot is that I've been getting around 15,000 steps in each day this week.

That's awesome! Keep it up!

I don't often get enough of. In fact, I have no idea how people eat as much fiber as "they" want you to eat.

if I ate that much fiber, I'd never leave the bathroom LOL!

I'm just trying to stay in my calorie range each day.

Same. I have 1400 calories per day. I just do my best to stay within them.

Mine was meeting with my coach to devise a training plan for my first full marathon. All I can say is I am excited but scared. The focus of this plan is not to finish in a certain time, but to make sure I get to the start uninjured and ready to run. Depending on the week I will run 3-4 times, and do two cross training days, one 60 minute, and another which will increase over the plan to 90 minute +. Its going to be a lot of work, but I am ready for the challenge!

Marathon!? AWESOME! Which race did you sign up for and when is it? Apprehension is normal -- but you're going to do great and finish. Your first race will always set a PR, so no stress!

Good luck on the marathon training! My mind is always blown when I think about those that do marathons or even half marathons. I can see myself maybe working my way up to a 10k, but no matter how much weight I lose I could never see me running that distance!

Baby steps. You're working your way to that awesome 5K in two weeks. And I think once you get done you'll get the 'bug' and want to do more. Disney's 10K races are fun - if you can find a way to do one I'd highly recommend it. Rock n Roll also does great races as well... :)

View attachment 164971

We all know that along with watching our carbs and/or calories, we need to watch our NUTRITION levels. Some plans/diets do a better job helping us with this than others. How are YOU making sure that you get what you need, every day (protein, carbs, macronutrients, etc)? Do you track these things?

I am too cheap to pay for a "premium" level of MFP so I just sort of eat the same things every day. Carb up before a race and protein after for recovery? Woops.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Heading to the airport tonight for an overnight flight to Nashville for the 6th half marathon of the year -- this one will be interesting because it'll be the warmest race of the year with a high percentage of thunderstorms starting at 11am. If that's not motivation to get my buns in gear and go for a PR, I don't know what is. They've put the marathoners with the half marathoners this time, so there are 40 corrals and I'm presently in number 36 -- so that will definitely be changing so that I can start earlier. Hoping to get moved up about 8-10 corrals and save me about 25 minutes of just waiting around.

There's a group of people doing a 5K race before the half for a 17 mile challenge and I've opted to skip it - trying to save my legs for Tinkerbell 10K next weekend. Gosh, it's next weekend! I'm having such level of nerves for that race, more than the half on Saturday. This proof of time nonsense really has me so flustered. It used to be that a sub-3:15 time got you put into a great corral. Now they've changed it to 2:45, which I'm .... not even close. (current Pr is 3:12) I can likely run a 10K in about 1:24 but I am going for a 1:20 with Tink... this proof of time gets me into a sub-2:45 half equivalent and I am then placed into a better corral for Dumbo Double Dare in September. My problem is that by about mile 10 I reach the "IDGAF" mode when I run and just want to finish. So I start to walk it in and my times go up. Need to fix that :P

Baby steps. You're working your way to that awesome 5K in two weeks. And I think once you get done you'll get the 'bug' and want to do more. Disney's 10K races are fun - if you can find a way to do one I'd highly recommend it. Rock n Roll also does great races as well... :)

It's funny, on our last Disney Cruise I saw the info on the Castaway Cay 5K and said who would go on a cruise to run a 5K... that's the opposite of what I want to do.

Last week I told my wife I want to run the Castaway Cay 5K on our cruise next March.

Btw, thanks for the follow on Instagram – really like all the running and Disney pics... very motivational.

Last week I told my wife I want to run the Castaway Cay 5K on our cruise next March.

YES!!! I love that you're getting into running the 5Ks now!
I have yet to do a Disney cruise, but if I ever do ... you can bet I'm signing up for that 5K! It's free, you get a cute rubber medallion, and it's on Disney's private island ... what's not to love. (Although from what I hear, it can get really hot and there's no shade ... so just be aware of that)

@courtneybeth - Good luck with the race this weekend! I know you will do awesome!

It's funny, on our last Disney Cruise I saw the info on the Castaway Cay 5K and said who would go on a cruise to run a 5K... that's the opposite of what I want to do.

Btw, thanks for the follow on Instagram – really like all the running and Disney pics... very motivational.

Hah! See, you've already got the bug. I love it - keep fueling that motivation. Soon you'll need a bling holder for all of those medals.

@courtneybeth - Good luck with the race this weekend! I know you will do awesome!

Thank you! I'm rested and relaxed, ready to go. TSA Precheck came in on my boarding pass and I am so excited to finally use my Known Traveler Number. It'll be amazing to not pull the laptop and 3 oz bottles from my bag and I get to keep my shoes on. The cost of the global entry was worth it to not have to stand in that area sans shoes. Yuck! :P

sci-Fi film or chick flick - I love my fair share of both

sunglasses or hat -- Shades!

oatmeal or eggs -- both but eggs more often than oatmeal

swim or hike -- Swim!

Anakin or Luke -- Luke

Facebook or Pinterest -- Both

chicken or fish -- We eat more chicken because I am the only one who eats fish

walking or weight training -- walking

rock or rap -- Rock - soft though

Mickey or Donald -- Mickey altho Eeyore is my fave..

romantic or realist -- Romantic

museum day or hiking day -- um neither really - sitting by the lake??

organized or clutter bug -- organized clutter! Haaaaa

traditional or modern -- A little of both

dancer or singer (i.e..... if I were to watch a hidden camera of your house, would I be more likely to find you dancing alone or singing at the top of your lungs??)
-- Singer , not like on the Voice or Idol but more like Drew Barrymore in 50 First Dates when she is painting the inside of the workshop HAAAA

white potato or sweet potato -- White

Coke or Pepsi -- Coke

car or truck -- we own both, the car is mine, but I prefer to be the passenger in the truck.. I'm over driving most of the time LOL

Good morning and welcome to one of my FAVORITE days of the week!

View attachment 164840

Share something that made you say "WOOHOO" in the past 7 days!!.....................P

So my WOOOHOOO is that on Monday at 2:29 when I leave my desk at 2:30 we got all our Loan Docs that had to be signed and returned to the bank on Tuesday morning including something notarized! REALLY.. but I was able to do all on the list - with the exception of the homebuyer class certificate which we will get on Sunday, scanned back to the Bank Tuesday morning as they asked.. GEEZ... talk about stress.. and this morning I got word that my 401k withdrawal (hardship for homeownership) was approved so I will not need to touch anything in my savings! Oh on Wednesday I discovered Plouts were back out at my local Sam's club.. MMM (cross between and plum and apricot)

I see everyone has some sort of WooHoo posted and that is what I love to see.. YOU all are such an inspiration even though I am not on the losing path I am maintaining and you all are such a great support system for me and other.. Have a great rest of today and weekend if I don't make it back (tomorrow at 1pm is my home inspection so i'll be leaving early and don't know if i'll make it on or not..) Michelle

YES!!! I love that you're getting into running the 5Ks now!
I have yet to do a Disney cruise, but if I ever do ... you can bet I'm signing up for that 5K! It's free, you get a cute rubber medallion, and it's on Disney's private island ... what's not to love. (Although from what I hear, it can get really hot and there's no shade ... so just be aware of that)

I do love the distance - it's still a little crazy to think I'm running a real 5k next week. The whole thing is a little overwhelming at times. I know I'm only a little past the half way point, but to see the scale where it is just blows me away. Yesterday I put on a pair of jeans that I just got in March and they are too big. Today I'm wearing a pullover that I got for Christmas that I couldn't wear then because it was a little snug. Now it's too big and almost unwearable. On Monday I went over to the high school to work out and saw some kids I hadn't seen for a few months and they were floored... couldn't believe how different I looked.

Sometimes I can't believe all this is happening - it's like a dream or something.

I do love the distance - it's still a little crazy to think I'm running a real 5k next week. The whole thing is a little overwhelming at times. I know I'm only a little past the half way point, but to see the scale where it is just blows me away. Yesterday I put on a pair of jeans that I just got in March and they are too big. Today I'm wearing a pullover that I got for Christmas that I couldn't wear then because it was a little snug. Now it's too big and almost unwearable. On Monday I went over to the high school to work out and saw some kids I hadn't seen for a few months and they were floored... couldn't believe how different I looked.

Sometimes I can't believe all this is happening - it's like a dream or something.

Can we get a WOOHOO Thursday for this? Seriously - this is why you're doing it and YES, it is happening. party:

Look at how far you've come and where you're going to be. If this is the half way point, imagine what it'll look and feel like at the goal weight. Exciting isn't it? :)

You may need to grab some intermediary pieces from Target or Wal-Mart to fill in until you get to goal weight. I had two rounds of clothes purchases. When I lost the first 30 pounds, I had to do an entire wardrobe overhaul so I had stuff that fit for when I went to Europe. Then I reached goal weight and did an entire overhaul (again!) for winter clothes. As I was in transition, we'd look weekly at Target to see what was there. $10 for a shirt that would be worn for a couple of weeks made sense.

I am so so so excited to read that you're having this "problem". Oh darn -- keep up the great work!!!!!

I walked 2 miles in just under 45 minutes last night. Eventually I'll reach 3 miles might take and hour at first. I'll see if I reach 15 minute mile in a month or so. I did the leg circuit and then stretched and did 6 eccentric one leg squats per leg. I know I always feel those squats. I probably will really feel it later tonight my soreness comes usually 24 hours after. My arms still feeling sore when I raise them from doing my arm circuit on Tuesday.

I had the day off work yesterday and won't know about today until later. They held my client in hospital for observation overnight and the granddaughter that does the other portions of her care said she wasn't sure if she'd be home by my shift start or not but I would still wait on the gym visit until the evening. I'm liking that I'm doing evening workouts because I get sleep and time before I go to work. Not that my job is that demanding physically. There was one couple in the gym when I got there a few more came while I was there.

View attachment 164971

I use MFP. The app you can look up nutrition and go beyond just the macros which I like but it doesn't do a full list of vitamins and minerals. It tells me my iron, calcium and vitamins A and C. I know I get C and Iron in a supplement too but nice to know my last couple days I met those dietarily too. I've upped my protein with help of shakes and afternoon protein bar snack before the gym. That way I know I'm giving my muscles enough protein without worrying how much meat I have to eat because I usually can't stomach too much of it. I've been meeting 100g which I never did before. I picked up a gluten free and dairy free protein shake mix, it also gives me 2 servings of greens(from spinach, broccoli and kale I take it) per scoop and I've been having 1-2 shakes a day. Breakfast with some fruit and then after workout. I lowered my carbs from the 50% MFP sets them to and aiming for 40% instead. I might tweak that a bit lower if I don't see it working. I'm sticking to as limiting grains and gf ones when I do have them. I did have a regular flour tortilla(had a quesadilla with my 2 tacos on corn tortillas) Tuesday and of course 30 minutes later my gut told me how much it hated that. So i may figure out how to make them with cauliflower or coconut flour. Yesterday I was at 972 or so net calories so I enjoyed an ice cream cone even if it sent my sugar over by 6. So long story short yes I track both macros and micros.

Last edited:

True story: I started going to WDW annually around new years in the mid-nineties when the WDW Marathon started. I was in my early 20s and skinny but out of shape. We'd stay at the Boardwalk and go to Epcot and I would see the runners. We continued this tradition for about 10 years, until I had kids, and although it seemed like an awesome thing to do, I never really thought of it as a possibility. I never thought I could do a race like that. Fast forward to 2010, and I was now overweight, and decided to get in shape. I still thought running was never going to happen for me. I have asthma, and it just seemed impossible. Then in 2013, my sister asked me to do the Princess Half with her, and after researching it, I realized walking parts was common, and I figured I could give it a shot. Then they announced the first Enchanted 10k, and on a whim I decided to do the Glass Slipper Challenge. So we registered and in late 2013 I did my proof of time 10k. My first timed running event. My sister ended up deferring, so I did the GSC alone and though I was injured, I loved every minute and was hooked. I've done it 3 times now, as well as the Avengers Infinity Gauntlet once, and that was a blast - and got me my Coast to Coast. I never thought I'd be a runner, and honestly some days I still feel like I am not a real runner, because I am so much slower than my friends (they run halves well under 2 hours). But, the fact is i love it. It is my me time, it makes me feel like I am doing something to stay healthy, and it gives me a sense of accomplishment. So never say never -- you may find yourself running longer and longer distances as you keep training. It is addictive.

Marathon!? AWESOME! Which race did you sign up for and when is it? Apprehension is normal -- but you're going to do great and finish. Your first race will always set a PR, so no stress!

Thanks:) Marine Corps Marathon in October in DC. I lived there for about 10 years, and knew if Disney wasn't my first, I wanted Marine Corps to be. The apprehension comes from the time limit. At Disney, I know I am safe, because I start fairly forward in the corrals so the time buffer means I can walk the whole thing and finish within the time limit. But this full, you have to keep a 14 min/mile pace and be to two different sweep points by a set time. Now, I normally am faster than 14 min/miles, but who knows what will happen with that distance? Its the barrier of knowing I have to run the first 17 (the first sweep point - actually a redirection to a shorter course) in order to make it. Once you make the 21.5 mile mark and you're over the 14th street bridge I should be good, because from there you're allowed 16 min/mile and I can walk that. My training plan has me running mostly around 11 min/mi which will be slower for me (I usually run 10-10.5) but the slow down is intended to prevent injury.

I absolutely agree, Disney's 10k races are my favorite. I've done Princess (Enchanted 10k) and Avengers which was Captain America but has been renamed this year I believe. They were both so fun. Lots of great park time and cool places to run.

The Castaway Cay 5k is fun, you do get a medal, but it is not chip timed, which was fine by me, because it was HOT! I think high 80s with high humidity. I walked A LOT. The cool thing is, at least when I did it a few years ago, participating allows you to be among the first people off the boat, so you see the island quiet and serene before the throngs of people come ashore. But as @SarahDisney said, there is no shade, and the course is not a scenic as one might think, though the walk to it is. A large part of it is running along a runway.

@courtneybeth - enjoy your races this weekend! I am sure you'll do great:)

I just want to warn you that I am going to go on a rant for a minute.

Today just is not going good. I had brought my lunch and breakfast with me today. I have been doing really good with this. For breakfast i was going to have toast until I got to work and realized I didn't bring a new container of butter (I keep a small contain in the fridge at work). So a little aggravated at myself but went for the next best thing around here. Dunken Donuts plain bagel with butter. It was good but more calories then I wanted to have. Then for lunch was left over grilled chicken, rice and broccoli. It so was not good and I only ate a little bit of the chicken and the broccoli. I figured it would be enough until I got home. But I started to get a little hungry and ate a 90 calorie pack of Nut Thins. Then I got shaky because my sugar was dropping. The only way I know to quickly fix it is sugar. I am so not happy about eating a bag of Peanut Butter M & M's. Food today is just not going the way it has been in the past few weeks.

I haven't been focused today and really need to get stuff done at work. My husband was not happy today. I am assuming work was not going good today for him and reminding him that he needs to take the kids to the dentist was enough to put him over the edge and take it out on me. He did tell me he was sorry. I understand we all have days and it was all over text so I could have interpreted it wrong. I can't workout tonight because we have a meeting to go to about the new school my son will be at next year. Big changes for the 5th grades in our district. On top of it I need to do some work at home from missing time Monday and today for doctor appointments. Oh and I had both doctors this week tell me I am getting old. Seriously!! I am only 36.

I feel very much in a funk today and really need to get out of it so I don't eat horrible when I get home. In the little time I will have to eat. I am sure the new pills are messing with things right now and I my body just needs to get used to them and level back out. Ugh, I am so ready for the week to be over.

Well tomorrow is a new day so we are going to shoot for a much better day.

Sorry for the long rant. Just need to get it all out.

As it's throwback thursday I often look through old pics and made the mistake of looking through some from 2005 when we were at Disney(profile pic is one of them) and can't help but dream of making a trip in Oct or Dec a reality. I hope we can pull it off. And would be great to be much more fit for the walking than I have been. Getting endurance already since 22nd but it can only get better.

I just saw the info about the new runDisney virtual runs... any thoughts on it? Part of me would like to do it just starting out - would be pretty cool to have those medals, but the other part of me doesn't like that you could sign up and not even run and still get the medal. It's basically like your just buying a medal.

Anyone else thinking about it?

Last edited:
I just saw the info about the new runDisney virtual runs... any thoughts on it? Part of me would like to do it just starting out - would be pretty cool to have those medals, but the other part of me doesn't like that you could sign up and not even run and still get the medal. It's basically like your just buying a medal.

I signed up for the whole shebang. 4 medals + a tumbler. I'm just starting out and not as far along as you so I don't think that should be a concern for you. I have 4 virtual 5K's on the schedule between now and August. I'm just using each one as an "official" progress tracker, doing one a month and trying to build stamina/pace in the meantime. And rewarding myself with pretty medals as I do it. Plus my own personal guilt would never let me just purchase a medal and not do the 5K for it. If I did that, I would beat myself up over blowing that money and then never display the medal and then what was the point of even buying the medal? I definitely think some people will just fork over the money for the medals with zero intention of ever getting off the couch, but I know I have no intention of doing it. In my opinion, for me at least, it's no more "just buying a medal" than doing the race in Florida or California would be. And this way I don't have to worry about transportation to get there and a hotel to stay in. And even better than saving money, I don't have to worry about spending money on a race and transportation and tickets and hotel and then having nothing to show for it because I couldn't move fast enough to not get swept so I don't get a medal.

Last edited:

I thought of you when I saw these and figured you'd want to participate. :P

I'm going to sign up for the entire series with the bonus medal - comes out to $152 on Active due to fees. I like the idea of the virtual medal/race because it holds me accountable for training runs. I have a queue of these starting to pile up that after Tink will be getting done now that the schedule will slow down a bit and the knee is healing.

Yes, it's quite possible many could just buy the medal and not do it. But it's on the honors system and you seem like a gentleman of honor. I trust that you'll get it done. This would be a great experience to use MapMyRun and plot out a new course to find that 3.1 outdoors in a new location, like a city park or a street that doesn't have stop lights. I'm going to do this for most of these so that I can get used to running on different types of ground.

I'm doing it. Looks like @JacknSally already signed up and is ready to go. So you're not alone. We can also make it an accountability thing - maybe pick a weekend and we all decide to do it and post our results. It could add a little fun to the monthly challenges here too :)

This may be my final check in! I plan to hit the gym and do some lifting today and the next day the scale is usually up. I may do another on Sunday but happy with the result

goal 4kg weight loss (8.86lbs) actual loss 3.9 kg (8.6lbs). So close! I am very happy with the result

97.5% goal met

Thank you pjlla for the time and effort you spend to be such a lovely host to this months challenge. It made huge difference to me

Good morning and welcome to your FINAL FRIDAY QOTD for April 29, 2016:

Well.... just like the title of this month's thread implied, this month has gone by like LIGHTSPEED!!

lightspeed.jpg

Let's take a moment to reflect back on the past 29 days. How are you feeling about your April progress? If you are pleased, what are you going to do to keep the momentum going into May?

If you haven't been happy, what are you going to do DIFFERENTLY in May? Be specific!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter