Like...They are Going with STRANGERS?!?! Sayonara Part 1- Join Us on the new thread!

What would you do with the $350??

• Upgrade our resort

• Spend it on 2 signature dinners

• Get park hoppers and 1 signature dinner

• See Cirque du Soleil

• Rent a car

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
DOH! :rolleyes1

I had one of those in reverse. Where the doctor-OBGYN said she was moving to Japan (we were in the Airforce at the time, so this was a military doctor)and said...."I can't wait to be out of here and not have to do clinics with pregnant women anymore!" <crickets> Mind you I was there because of clinics at the moment. She also was as skinny as a pencil and would give me a hard time about being thirty pounds over weight when starting out in my pregnancy. Never mind the fact that I had just lost 60 before getting preggers. :sad2: I could go on and on about the horrible things she said to me, but I won't bore y'all. God made up for it by giving me an amazing doctor (who loved what he did) to deliver Mackenzie. :love:

That's awful!! Too bad she spent all that money to get through med. school, only to do something she really didn't want to.

There's definitely a professional and courteous way to tell someone they need to lose weight (and only from a doctor!) and lots of ways to be just plain rude. This falls into the category of being rude.

HA! I just remembered one more. I was at my dermatologist's office for a quick mole removal, that she thought was suspicious. Have you ever had a piece of flesh burned off?? The smell is well, ummm... interesting. I mouthed off saying, "hey that smelled just like the bbq place I ate at last night!"

No comment, whatsoever!

Doc. leaves and nurse informs me that she is a vegetarian!! :rotfl2:

OOOOPS!

Ko-nee-chee-wa!!!

One of my long standing bucket list items was neatly and deliciously scratched off on Thursday night, and I just had to show you what I got to do!!

As you know, I have a love for learning about other cultures- particularly the cuisines they have to offer. One of my very most favorite kinds is Japanese having practically grown up sitting at a tempura bar in Little Tokyo with my grandparents. They went faithfully EVERY Friday night for over 8 years to visit Hashi, so he could personally serve up his crispy crunchy creations to them. Sushi always sat neatly beside their termpura plates as well.

Whenever I was with them (which was a lot when I was growing up) they took me with them. I learned how to eat with chopsticks at the tender age of 10, and came to adore everything they set before me. I especially liked the sweet potato and the chyrsanthemum leaves! Yum!!

Even today, give me a bowl of steaming miso soup, a huge platter of sushi, and some pickled cucumber salad, and I'm as happy as a pig in a mud puddle; which is exactly what I feel like when I'm done.

So, when we found out that our teammate that would be joining us over here was a first gen. Japanese American, we were thrilled! She is a delightful lady full of grace, charm and a faith that's far beyond my own. She is inspiring to be with and just nice to have around. Last week, she offered to teach me how to cook a few Japanese dishes!! WOOT!! I accepted quickly and we decided that Thursday would work out perfectly.

This is what we ended up cooking together and enjoying:

Miso Soup
Ginger Pork
Stir fried Veggies with sesame seeds
Pickled Cucumber Salad
Rice

We started off with these:

It is all stuff I'll be able to get at the mega Asian store in Beaverton, OR when we get back!

And we ended up with this: (sorry the pics are a bit blurry! I was using her camera and didn't know what I was doing.)

The last time we were home, I tried some of those instant packets of miso soup mix. GAG ME!! It was awful. I am so grateful I know how to make the real deal now, and the best part is that it is VERY easy!! Way easier than even veggie soup!

So on a day like this: (this is a picture of the frost on her window that she brought over-mine are like that too, but to a lesser degree)

It was easy to sit and enjoy some of my favorite comfort food!!

Teppan Edo- Here we come!!!

I hope I don't miss the switch over to Strangers II or whatever it's gonna be called! You sure it is 250 pages? The DIS Dads thread hit 281 before it was shut down! LOL :goodvibes

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2224667

Good Lord, we have a knack for posting at the same time. Almost to the point that it's creepy!

I PM'd Oh Mari, and she told me it's 250, but I wonder if sometimes they just let it go because it's easier that way?? But honestly, I'm thinking it is better to start a new one. I think the length is scaring people off, and it'll be fun to have a fresh start with more readers.

Why are you up at 2:00 AM?? Are you taking lessons from Camille and me??
:rotfl2:

Good Lord, we have a knack for posting at the same time. Almost to the point that it's creepy!

I PM'd Oh Mari, and she told me it's 250, but I wonder if sometimes they just let it go because it's easier that way?? But honestly, I'm thinking it is better to start a new one. I think the length is scaring people off, and it'll be fun to have a fresh start with more readers.

It's only 1 here. Got home from work a little while ago. I'm trying to catch up on all my DISing... I have to be out of the house early tomorrow for a prom show then I'm going with the Fam to see the Lion King (broadway show). I don't think I'm going to get to all my threads.... I want to be sleeping in 30 min. :surfweb:

It's only 1 here. Got home from work a little while ago. I'm trying to catch up on all my DISing... I have to be out of the house early tomorrow for a prom show then I'm going with the Fam to see the Lion King (broadway show). I don't think I'm going to get to all my threads.... I want to be sleeping in 30 min. :surfweb:

1 is when an early bird goes to bed!

Prom show?? that sounds fun... eh hem..

I can catch up on about 3 threads in a half an hour.

You are so lucky to live so close to NY and the shows!! VERY fun!!!

Take pix!!

1 is when an early bird goes to bed!

Prom show?? that sounds fun... eh hem..

I can catch up on about 3 threads in a half an hour.

You are so lucky to live so close to NY and the shows!! VERY fun!!!

Take pix!!

Prom show= a big waste of time! LOL I'm only going to help set up.. then I'm out!

That's about what I can catch up on too.... unless it is Jordan's. His take s the whole 30 min!

Actually the show is at a theater in Hartford.. which is about 30 min from here. Mel & I saw it before in NYC and loved it.(many years ago when we were dating):love:

Prom show= a big waste of time! LOL I'm only going to help set up.. then I'm out!

That's about what I can catch up on too.... unless it is Jordan's. His take s the whole 30 min!

Actually the show is at a theater in Hartford.. which is about 30 min from here. Mel & I saw it before in NYC and loved it.(many years ago when we were dating):love:

So you got your hubba-hubba on by going to see Broadway shows. You were scorin' big points, pal!! :thumbsup2 I read that in the man-ual when I took my peek. ;)

I have to skim Jordan's- too hard to keep up with everything over there!

Dinner looks yummy!

I've never had miso soup, what is it?

Dinner looks yummy!

I've never had miso soup, what is it?

Miso is a soybean paste (called miso) based soup. The broth is basically flavored with dried fish (that you remove before eating and kombu seaweed- also removed). Then the soybean, tofu, and wakambe seaweeds are added. Maybe it's an acquired taste, but I LOVE it! It's pretty standard fare at any Japanese restaurant.

I think he is, except I'm up later than my new bed time. :sad2: I would love to be in bed, but the stray kitty pee'd all over her blanket and I didn't realize it until I had it up against my clothes, so I had to do laundry. :headache: Yuck! Cat pee doesn't wash out once dried...I couldn't just leave it. It's like 30 degrees out and I didn't want the kitty to freeze, so I had to wash all her towels and blankets we cover her up with, it's about the only time she allows us to get close to her.....well besides feeding her. :rolleyes:
Miso is a soybean paste (called miso) based soup. The broth is basically flavored with dried fish (that you remove before eating and kombu seaweed- also removed). Then the soybean, tofu, and wakambe seaweeds are added. Maybe it's an acquired taste, but I LOVE it! It's pretty standard fare at any Japanese restaurant.

Ummmm, sounds good! I'll have to have you help me make it some time. I don't think I've ever had it before. Night all, the dryer finally went off. I'm sleepy. Be blessed everyone. Have an amazing day Liesa!

That sounds yummy!! :cool1: I love Japanese food.

I went to Japan in college, but unfortunately we were there for a college football game (sponsored by Coke & trying to get the Japanese interested in American football). The people who fed us figured that we wouldn't eat Japanese food, so we got "American food." Their version, which included french fries for breakfast! :lmao: Guess that's what they thought American kids like to eat! :confused3

This thread has been hopping the past few days. I feel terribly behind!

How very cool that you got to learn how to make some wonderful Japanese dishes. :thumbsup2 My husband was stationed in Misawa for a couple of years and loved his time there. He taught me how to use chopsticks when we met. ;)

I think he is, except I'm up later than my new bed time. :sad2: I would love to be in bed, but the stray kitty pee'd all over her blanket and I didn't realize it until I had it up against my clothes, so I had to do laundry. :headache: Yuck! Cat pee doesn't wash out once dried...I couldn't just leave it. It's like 30 degrees out and I didn't want the kitty to freeze, so I had to wash all her towels and blankets we cover her up with, it's about the only time she allows us to get close to her.....well besides feeding her. :rolleyes:

Ummmm, sounds good! I'll have to have you help me make it some time. I don't think I've ever had it before. Night all, the dryer finally went off. I'm sleepy. Be blessed everyone. Have an amazing day Liesa!

Ooops! Fell off the wagon, eh?? Ah well, there's always tomorrow night to shoot for a good bedtime, right??

Yeah, cat pee hangs around forever! Yuck! Glad you caught it and could get rid of it in time!

So far all our puppies are doing ok in the 20 degrees outside. I started to worry a couple of weeks ago when it was 0 though. I ended up filling some 2 L bottles with hot water and putting them in the dog house with them to help.

I did have a pretty good day. I took a Sunday afternoon nap for the first time in about 3 months. Love that!

That sounds yummy!! :cool1: I love Japanese food.

I went to Japan in college, but unfortunately we were there for a college football game (sponsored by Coke & trying to get the Japanese interested in American football). The people who fed us figured that we wouldn't eat Japanese food, so we got "American food." Their version, which included french fries for breakfast! :lmao: Guess that's what they thought American kids like to eat! :confused3

Mmmmm, me too!

Was your time in Japan, just a short visit?? or a long stay?

I like fries for breakfast, but not til 10:30 or 11:00. So maybe that's not breakfast afterall?? :confused3

That's a shame though, that you didn't get to have some yummy Japanese food. So healthy!:thumbsup2

This thread has been hopping the past few days. I feel terribly behind!

How very cool that you got to learn how to make some wonderful Japanese dishes. :thumbsup2 My husband was stationed in Misawa for a couple of years and loved his time there. He taught me how to use chopsticks when we met. ;)

Only a couple days left, then we'll put up the new one! Very fun stuff here, thanks to all of you!! You all make it so great to be here!

Was that before you were married? or after? Must have been after, since when you met, he already knew how to use them. ;) Did he get to experience much of the genuine culture?? What a great experience!

I'd heard of it before, but didn't know what was in it. I wish I could say it sounds good but....:sick: but then I don't like the taste of seaweed or most fish flavored things.

I prefer the ricekrispy treat I'm eating for breakfast.

I'd heard of it before, but didn't know what was in it. I wish I could say it sounds good but....:sick: but then I don't like the taste of seaweed or most fish flavored things.

I prefer the ricekrispy treat I'm eating for breakfast.

It's definitely something you either like or don't!

Mmmm.... I wish we could get Rice Krispys here!!! :cloud9:

Was that before you were married? or after? Must have been after, since when you met, he already knew how to use them. ;) Did he get to experience much of the genuine culture?? What a great experience!

Yes, before we met. It was his first duty station after boot camp. I think he did get to experience it. I know he dated a Japanese girl. :rolleyes1

I also have an online friend whose family moved to Japan about a year ago. I love reading about all of their adventures.

Yes, before we met. It was his first duty station after boot camp. I think he did get to experience it. I know he dated a Japanese girl. :rolleyes1

I also have an online friend whose family moved to Japan about a year ago. I love reading about all of their adventures.

I'm so glad he held out for you!! :love:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!