Likelihood of Disney cancelling dining reservations

AnOtHeRdIsNeYfReAk

Self-Proclaimed Super Genius
When everything opens back up, I know there will be seating limitations in restaurants, so even though this is just speculation, how do you think Disney will handle it? Most of my reservations were fairly hard to get so I know those restaurants are booked up. I wonder how priority will be given and who will be cancelled(modified). I think, for some restaurants takeaway will be an alternative, but definitely not all. I'm hoping they'll keep the buffets, but have the server bring your food. Boma, Brunch @ California Grill and Crystal Palace are family favorites, but they can get too packed. It's definitely going to be interesting.

I suspect its a question of what "booked up" actually is. I doubt they will book all the available seats but rather thy will book 25% (or some other number) ahead of time.

When everything opens back up, I know there will be seating limitations in restaurants, so even though this is just speculation, how do you think Disney will handle it? Most of my reservations were fairly hard to get so I know those restaurants are booked up. I wonder how priority will be given and who will be cancelled(modified). I think, for some restaurants takeaway will be an alternative, but definitely not all. I'm hoping they'll keep the buffets, but have the server bring your food. Boma, Brunch @ California Grill and Crystal Palace are family favorites, but they can get too packed. It's definitely going to be interesting.

I preemptively cancelled all my buffets and substituted other options. No guarantees the buffets will be open at all, and if they switch to a family-style "platter" like garden grill, it won't be worth the cost for me.

I expect the crowd levels will "self-regulate" to capacity for a while. Bookings are wayyyyy down in July-August--so even assuming the parks are open then, some of the capacity issues will sort themselves out. And since I'm 99% certain masks will be required, that'll reduce bookings even more.

What is the fairest way to do this? Cancel everything and have everyone compete for the reduced availability?

I also think reduced demand will for the most part negate the need to cancel reservations in mass. The parks are going to be quiet. Many people aren't comfortable travelling yet, many are still dealing with fallout from lost income, still more won't want to wear masks or won't think it's worth the money to go to Disney with whatever restictions and limitations are put in place. I doubt buffets will remain. They may become family style or a la carte, and they may not have characters. Some restaurants may be closed entirely since far fewer people will be in the parks. I am booked for late July and am just playing the waiting game.

I think as people cancel reservations Disney won't allow the reservations to be rebooked. This way they won't have to cancel reservations at all, Disney will just wait until the reservation hoarders and those guests completely canceling their vacations release the reservations they don't plan to use.

I'm wondering about this also. Our trip is at the end of August booked with free dining which I upgraded to DDP. Most of my reservations (that I made in March) are at Epcot. I'm wondering if Epcot will even be open by then, or if we will even go.

Our dining reservations were made in February for our August trip. We didn't even have our first cases of the virus in Michigan until March 10th! I really hope Disney doesn't feel "fre e" to cancel our reservation without letting us know, prior to doing it.

We didn't book any character dining, but did select a few buffets.

We were planning on upgrading to Deluxe DP for mid to end of August. We'll still do it if we can keep our reservations and most places are open. We like the character buffets, and would be ok if they did a sit down meal replacement and some kind of social distanced- character family photo. I hope that they don't cancel all our reservations- we have a lot of extra (over the current DP we are booked on) that we are actually planning on keeping.

Just an update, dining reservations are not being taken at this time, MY GUESS is they are trying to figure this all out, I was trying to book for thanksgiving week

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!