Likelihood of getting a dining res the week of?

disneyjr77

DIS Veteran
Our trip is planned for the third week of Sept 2020 (20-27), and Food and Wine will be happening. We're going back and forth on if we should make ADR's or just eat QS and enjoying the options for F&W. There will be 2 of us, what do you think the chances are of us getting dining reservations if we change our minds while we're there? We also want to spend sometime in Downtown Disney and eat there. I don't want to get too full at a TS, then not be able to enjoy F&W or one of the QS places we haven't tried, but i also don't want to get there and we decide we want TS and we're stuck with reservations. What should we do?

Thanks!

Previously when I've gone as a two some, there's been decent availability (if you're flexible on time). As much as Disney wants us to plan 6 months out, the reality is we end up changing things up as we get closer.

Chances are pretty good if you're slightly flexible with the time. Check the day before you want to dine, i.e. in the 24 cancellation window. A LOT of things pop up then as people cancel and change their plans.

If you are going to Disney Springs many of the TS restaurants there are on OpenTable. I made a reservation at The Boathouse the day before that way. The only on I can think of that isn't is Homecomin. I know many of DS restaurant s have seating at the bar .

Book ADR's that you think you would want if you decide to eat at TS locations.
If you get there and decide you're good with QS then cancel the ADR's and make someone's day vs being the person that is struggling to find one.
As for likelihood of finding an ADR while you're there... its FD so lots of people already made ADR's so its unlikely you'll find an ADR unless you're looking outside of the parks.

Honestly though the food at F&W is often times mini portions of what a TS menu may look like so you'd be getting a lot of samples of TS style food.
If F&W is your main focus on the trip then I'd say no way would I bother with an ADR as there are too many things to try at F&W so I'd want to go there hungry vs stuffed from just eating a full TS meal.

Thanks for the advice :) We'll wing it and if we get hungry or want to eat TS see what we can get. That's good to know about OpenTable!

I have found reservations much easier the week of than at the six month mark our last trip! All the hoarders cancel their multiple reservations so they won't be charged leaving a ton of places wide open.

As long as you’re not picky about the exact restaurant, you will be fine. I’ve played ADR roulette on the day of a few times when I could not make up my mind or plans changed. This is a lot easier for solos or couples.

Winging it is definitely the way to go, especially with food and wine going on so you don't miss any yumminess. We rarely make reservations that aren't day of and you'd be shocked with availability. As long as you are flexible on time and location, you'll never be locked into ADRs again.

Awesome!!! You've all made me so much better :cool1:

I'm so stuck in the if you don't have ADR's you're screwed mindset, that i just knew you guys were gonna tell me that i had to have them lol On trips where we have DD12, i still want to make sure i get them becasue she is not flexible and has her specific places she wants to eat, but with the just the 2 of us we can totally wing it.

Awesome!!! You've all made me so much better :cool1:

I'm so stuck in the if you don't have ADR's you're screwed mindset, that i just knew you guys were gonna tell me that i had to have them lol On trips where we have DD12, i still want to make sure i get them becasue she is not flexible and has her specific places she wants to eat, but with the just the 2 of us we can totally wing it.
I have found that it is not hard to make last minute ADRs for TS at Epcot and the resorts. There are plenty of places to eat, as long as you are not trying to book BoG or Ohana. Marrakesh, Nine Dragons, Biergarten, and Tokyo Dining have last minute ressies pretty much all the time. Ale and Compass at YC is a hidden gem and perfect for a couple. Really good atmosphere and food. And they have a lounge with some of the offerings too that you don't need ADRs for. The Wave can also be found last minute and it has a great bar to wait in and a good menu.

Also if you are winging it while in the parks, it never hurts to ask at a table service if they any availability. A few times they have been able to accommodate us despite there not being a reservation available according to the app. It likely won't be the norm, but it never hurts to ask if you flexible with where you are going to eat.

I would book the ADRs that you know you want to do. You can always cancel if you change your mind.
During F&W, we usually graze one meal at the kiosks and have one at a TS restaurant each day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter