'Lilo and Stitch' - The Art

Another Voice

Charter Member of The Element
To kind of focus the threads here, I’ve created this thread just to talk about the creative aspects of ‘Lilo and Stitch’ from a question by Sgt. Bstanley –

“Do you know if the 'watercolor' choice of media for the background was made before they shifted the story to Hawaii or after? It just seemed so 'correct' for the setting.”

I don’t know all the “behind the scenes” on this one, but I think the watercolors were an artist decision from the very start. They wanted ‘Lilo’ to look very different from the recent films – both the hard surfaces of the Pixar CGI films and the sharp edges found in traditional films like ‘Atlantis’ and ‘Emperor’. And they also wanted to make ‘Lilo’ look much more like earlier, pre-Xerox films like ‘Bambi’ and ‘Dumbo’. From the very beginning the filmmakers wanted this to be a very “Walt” film in terms of looks, story, and characters.

The directors on this film had a much greater degree of freedom than other recent Disney animated films. It’s much closer to the old school production technique were the creative director’s oversaw all aspects of making the film. This allowed Lilo’s directing team the freedom to go with things like watercolors, the Elvis music and the quirky characters.

One of the few bad changes that Jeffrey Katzenberg brought to Disney Animation was the traditional “Hollywood” model of film making. Instead of one or two people driving the film, the new model is one more like assembling the movie – the writer turns in the script, the animators create the characters, the music guys come up with the songs to insert, the talent goes off on their interpretation of the characters and the producers is the big boss to make sure everything fits together.

It’s a subtle difference, but an important one. The old way requires that just a handful of people be expert in everything (which is never the case), but allowed a good idea to be incorporated in all aspects of the film. The “new way” allows experts to work on their specific roles in the process, but sacrifices a true unified “vision” for the movie.

I think the old way works better for animation just because everything in an animated film has to be created from nothing. That’s very hard to do and requires someone who can see how everything will fit together. There’s much less true “blank page” creation in a live-action film – you cast Tom Cruise in a role and you’ve “created” 95% of the character right then. The creator’s role at that point is merely to get Tom to say the right lines at the right time. The creator’s of Lilo had the task, and the freedom, of creating each and every nuance of the character.

They may have made the 'watercolor' decision early, but if you've ever been to Kauai, you would have no doubts about the particular style they settled on. The background paintings could easily have been found in many of the small art stores on the island. In fact, my ex-in-laws own a watercolor painting of the yellow house that Lilo & Nani are supposed to have lived in.

The downtown looks more like main street USA than Kauai, but I suppose we need to go with artistic license (both there and with the Volcano, since Kauai doesn't have an active volcano).

Sarangel

Originally posted by Sarangel
(both there and with the Volcano, since Kauai doesn't have an active volcano).

True, but if you notice, at that part of the movie, they are actually on the Big Island. They are flying around on the spaceships, and then Stitch falls to the ground. When the captain picks up stitch on his scanner, you can see that the blinking dot is actually on the Big Island.

Sarangel- I came out of the movie very pleased with the look and the way it captured the feeling of Kauai (which I've visited once.....so far). I also had the same impression as you, that they had taken a little dramatic license and moved Volcanos National Park from the Big Island to Kauai. But, as my wife and friends quickly pointed out, as did Rick, the map showed they had changed islands during the chase/fight.

But, as my wife and friends quickly pointed out, as did Rick, the map showed they had changed islands during the chase/fight.
As did my DH. Oh well, sounds like a good excuse to go and see it again this weekend...:smooth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter