Line Cutting at Costco Rant, Long!

mom to minnie&mickey

DIS Veteran
It is a rainy Saturday here today so Costco was packed. Dh, myself and ds(16) did our shopping and waited in line for about 20 minutes to reach the cash. Great, but now we were faced with another very long line at the exit door where they check your receipt against your purchases (do they do that in the States as well?) So we got in line and after a few minutes of slowly inching forward I see this cart approaching me from my right side very casually until the man finds a gap between my cart and the person in front of it and suddenly he swerves and sticks his cart in that gap so that if I pushed my cart it would hit his. As the line was continually slightly moving within seconds half his cart was in. (Think heavy traffic on the highway where someone uses the empty exit lane and then cuts in at the top kind of thing.) Ds, being a typical teenager noticed and says out loud to me "I hate line cutters" to which he turns around to him and says in a very loud bullying voice "excuse me?" because he knew what he had done and when you cannot defend then go on the offense.

My dh is very mild mannered and avoids confrontations at all costs but watch out if he feels he has been wronged! Dh says to him in a fairly loud voice "well sir you just cut the line" and he had the nerve to say that he was already in front of us....yah by passing everyone on the right!!! It got ugly with myself joining in and using a few not so nice adjectives to describe him to his face, I admit not my best moment.

What I find interesting his female companion (wife?) stood there like a deer in the headlights and never said one word throughout the whole exchange in his defense. I guess she is used to his behaviour or is terrified of him.

The question is was the whole altercation worth it? I don't know. Many will say no you cannot change a jerk. I asked ds this and he said "well mom you cannot always be a pushover because you have to live with yourself. Maybe he'll remember what happened today the next time he does not want to wait in a line." Something tells me with a bully like that, that is wishful thinking!

It is a rainy Saturday here today so Costco was packed. Dh, myself and ds(16) did our shopping and waited in line for about 20 minutes to reach the cash. Great, but now we were faced with another very long line at the exit door where they check your receipt against your purchases (do they do that in the States as well?) So we got in line and after a few minutes of slowly inching forward I see this cart approaching me from my right side very casually until the man finds a gap between my cart and the person in front of it and suddenly he swerves and sticks his cart in that gap so that if I pushed my cart it would hit his. As the line was continually slightly moving within seconds half his cart was in. (Think heavy traffic on the highway where someone uses the empty exit lane and then cuts in at the top kind of thing.) Ds, being a typical teenager noticed and says out loud to me "I hate line cutters" to which he turns around to him and says in a very loud bullying voice "excuse me?" because he knew what he had done and when you cannot defend then go on the offense.

My dh is very mild mannered and avoids confrontations at all costs but watch out if he feels he has been wronged! Dh says to him in a fairly loud voice "well sir you just cut the line" and he had the nerve to say that he was already in front of us....yah by passing everyone on the right!!! It got ugly with myself joining in and using a few not so nice adjectives to describe him to his face, I admit not my best moment.

What I find interesting his female companion (wife?) stood there like a deer in the headlights and never said one word throughout the whole exchange in his defense. I guess she is used to his behaviour or is terrified of him.

The question is was the whole altercation worth it? I don't know. Many will say no you cannot change a jerk. I asked ds this and he said "well mom you cannot always be a pushover because you have to live with yourself. Maybe he'll remember what happened today the next time he does not want to wait in a line." Something tells me with a bully like that, that is wishful thinking!

First, the rule.

I don’t think bully is the right word..he’s just a jerk.

I’d steam about for probably a minute and then move (slowly) on with my day.

This happens here in the states. It's called entitlement. People think that they're above the norms for whatever reason. Costco, BJ's, Sam's Club, all the same, they all check your receipt against your cart. There's just those people that think the line doesn't apply to them. The altercation may not be worth it, but at the same time, it's going to show these idiots that you're not going to let it happen quietly.

Some of the worst cases that we have in the states of this are the people that see a lane on a highway is going to be closed in "X" distance. Well, instead of merging over and getting in the long line of cars, they'll speed all the way up to where the road crew has the cones and direction arrow pushing directing you to the other lane and try and merge in. Sure, you have those that will let that person in, but you also have a lot more that ride the bumper of the car in front of them and the guy winds up sitting there, getting angrier by the second, starts motioning, making the car jump like they'll hit you, honking their horn, etc.

We also have issues with people just merging on ramps. There's a bunch that do understand how to merge, but I'm convinced there's more that don't. I mean, the yellow Yield sign is on the ramp lane for a reason. People just think that if there's no room in 2 lanes full of traffic that is at highway speed, they'll just bull their way into line. I've had more than a few times that I was stuck in the slow lane going past a merge point with someone flipping me off because I couldn't and wouldn't let them in... when they're supposed to yield and stop if traffic conditions don't allow for them to enter. I just keep going and they'll ride the shoulder eventually getting in behind as the road runs out and I'm not going to give.

This happens here in the states. It's called entitlement. People think that they're above the norms for whatever reason. Costco, BJ's, Sam's Club, all the same, they all check your receipt against your cart. There's just those people that think the line doesn't apply to them. The altercation may not be worth it, but at the same time, it's going to show these idiots that you're not going to let it happen quietly.

Some of the worst cases that we have in the states of this are the people that see a lane on a highway is going to be closed in "X" distance. Well, instead of merging over and getting in the long line of cars, they'll speed all the way up to where the road crew has the cones and direction arrow pushing directing you to the other lane and try and merge in. Sure, you have those that will let that person in, but you also have a lot more that ride the bumper of the car in front of them and the guy winds up sitting there, getting angrier by the second, starts motioning, making the car jump like they'll hit you, honking their horn, etc.

We also have issues with people just merging on ramps. There's a bunch that do understand how to merge, but I'm convinced there's more that don't. I mean, the yellow Yield sign is on the ramp lane for a reason. People just think that if there's no room in 2 lanes full of traffic that is at highway speed, they'll just bull their way into line. I've had more than a few times that I was stuck in the slow lane going past a merge point with someone flipping me off because I couldn't and wouldn't let them in... when they're supposed to yield and stop if traffic conditions don't allow for them to enter. I just keep going and they'll ride the shoulder eventually getting in behind as the road runs out and I'm not going to give.
It kinda sounds like you are the one that doesn't know how to drive.

Actually, you're in the wrong - cars are supposed to merge at the merge point, not before. And they are supposed to do 'the zipper' - alternating between one lane and the other. At least that's what is taught here in driver's ed and explained by our state troopers who visit our schools.

You’re not supposed to merge early and the merge lanes on a highway are for acceleration so you’re fine to merge at the end of those too :confused3

It kinda sounds like you are the one that doesn't know how to drive.

Nope. I follow the book on merging... I've actually almost been rear-ended by others not paying attention when I've stopped on the ramp because I CAN'T get out into traffic.

Also a little reading material: http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/article25870837.html

If I have room to get over when going past ramps, I do. If you're stuck though, that means there's more than likely not the ability to be able to merge either,.

Actually, you're in the wrong - cars are supposed to merge at the merge point, not before. And they are supposed to do 'the zipper' - alternating between one lane and the other. At least that's what is taught here in driver's ed and explained by our state troopers who visit our schools.

You’re not supposed to merge early and the merge lanes on a highway are for acceleration so you’re fine to merge at the end of those too :confused3

What does a yield sign mean and why are they on EVERY ramp? If you can't get out into traffic, you have to yield and stop until you can.

Nope. I follow the book on merging... I've actually almost been rear-ended by others not paying attention when I've stopped on the ramp because I CAN'T get out into traffic.

Also a little reading material: http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/article25870837.html

If I have room to get over when going past ramps, I do. If you're stuck though, that means there's more than likely not the ability to be able to merge either,.

You're not supposed to stop on the ramp. That's very dangerous not only for you but for everyone behind you too.

You're not supposed to stop on the ramp. That's very dangerous not only for you but for everyone behind you too.

What is the meaning of a yield sign?
In road transport, a yield or give way sign indicates that each driver must prepare to stop if necessary to let a driver on another approach proceed. A driver who stops or slows down to let another vehicle through has yielded the right of way to that vehicle.

What does a yield sign mean and why are they on EVERY ramp? If you can't get out into traffic, you have to yield and stop until you can.

Yield is different than a stop sign - both parties are supposed to be aware of the merge, the one in the highway lane judges if the other car should go in front or back, based on speed and distance. Then that car adjusts speed to have the car on the ramp fit in. The car on the ramp has to judge if the space is valid for getting in. There's usually a decent feed time between the end of the ramp and the need to completely merge - it's give and take, with neither assuming total rights.

the yellow Yield sign is on the ramp lane for a reason.

Yellow yield sign? :confused3

ETA: OK, I should have googled *before* I posted, lol. I see now that there is such a thing as a yellow yield sign. But I've never seen one at the bottom of a highway ramp. I do occasionally see the red and white yield sign at the bottom of a ramp, but only when there is road construction on the highway. And yes, in that case (and only that case) is it proper to slow or even stop if traffic through the work zone does not allow you to merge onto the highway.

Yellow yield sign? :confused3

ETA: OK, I should have googled *before* I posted, lol. I see now that there is such a thing as a yellow yield sign. But I've never seen one at the bottom of a highway ramp. I do occasionally see the red and white yield sign at the bottom of a ramp, but only when there is road construction on the highway. And yes, in that case (and only that case) is it proper to slow or even stop if traffic through the work zone does not allow you to merge onto the highway.

Different areas of the country have different rules I guess. So we all may be right. After living in a few prime tourist spots, it makes sense seeing the different plates and driving styles.

Um, don't you guys just hate when your thread veers off and becomes a totally new thread with a new topic all because some posters disagree with someone else's driving skills? Just saying......perhaps sunshinehighway can start a new highway safety thread since she was the first one to steer my thread off course.

Different areas of the country have different rules I guess. So we all may be right. After living in a few prime tourist spots, it makes sense seeing the different plates and driving styles.

No, you're supposed to allow merging traffic to MERGE everywhere. If you're on the highway, it's your responsibility to leave a gap. If you're on the ramp, it's your responsibility to FIND the gap.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!