Line Cutting at Costco Rant, Long!

Wowza! There's a lot of angst here. I understand being frustrated with long lines. And, it's one thing to point out to somebody where the end of the line is. But, it's another thing to escalate tensions by "joining in and using a few not so nice adjectives to describe his face"!!!!

Really?! What's the purpose in doing that? To humiliate him publicly?

Who knows what's going on in any persons life, maybe there was some extenuating circumstances, or maybe the guy was just a jerk. Either way, I don't see how your choice of actions could improve matters.

My dad did something similar the other day, but while we were in his car. He was starting his turn into a handicapped spot, and a guy coming the other day hit the gas, almost hit us, and angled his car into the spot. Me, I would have said "Idiot" to myself, and went to another parking spot. Not my dad. He puts down his window and starts cussing the guy out. Who then starts cussing back (no surprise). It was a bit scary, as you never know who will escalate things, and who might have a gun. So not worth the 5 seconds of Wohoo I'm calling someone out rush you may get.

I live in NYC near the border of LI and you described ramps that came to mind reading this thread. Some are fine but there are more than enough where it’s challenging if not dangerous to enter the highway.

I live on LI and border NYC.

S/he said when stopped on the on ramp other drivers almost rear-ended him/her and/or get mad. Stopping on an on ramp to the highway isn't something you should be doing enough to have a complaint about how other drivers react.
As I said before, stopping to get on the highway is common here. It's rare to have to completely stop getting on the interstate, but I have to stop frequently to get on the highway going by my house.

PS: I didn't go back to read the post. Did the pp specify interstate or just say highway? If she said highway, that doesn't surprise me at all. It's the same way here on many of the highways.

Hi neighbor! :)
I’m probably thinking of some of the same spots.

Yeah, the ramp onto CIP going towards the Throgs Neck Bridge. You turn right or left from Northern Boulevard. I think half of the posters probably think I am exaggerating!

Reactions: rlk
I think the OP is very on edge. She verbally dresses down a jerk at Costco and then dresses down the posters here that don't discuss exactly what she wants discussed. I hope she feels better venting here in a safe place. But she needs to realize that if she starts telling people what they can post, she is going to get push back.
Hoping whatever is going on that is stressing her gets resolved soon :flower1::grouphug:

That was rude and uncalled for in my opinion. Group hug and spinning flower is just a mask for a jab given in the comment.

OP, I am sorry for your experience. I just got back from Costco and on a weekend no less. Dumb move on my part but I survived. Costco is the worst for bad manners and it gets to me every time. People would rather run you over than use common courtesy. Once you have shopped with the crazy cart people and paid for your goods in the long lines, you have already reached your limit. Sorry it happened to you and sorry for all the grief you have gotten here.

I haven't been in a Costco or Sams club in 15 years because I got tired of the whole wait in line so they could check your receipt against whats in your cart nonsense.
As far as I'm concerned I've paid and should be able to leave without the extra step.

I'm sure that guy was sick of it too. He ought to shop someplace else. That's what I do.

That was rude and uncalled for in my opinion. Group hug and spinning flower is just a mask for a jab given in the comment.

OP, I am sorry for your experience. I just got back from Costco and on a weekend no less. Dumb move on my part but I survived. Costco is the worst for bad manners and it gets to me every time. People would rather run you over than use common courtesy. Once you have shopped with the crazy cart people and paid for your goods in the long lines, you have already reached your limit. Sorry it happened to you and sorry for all the grief you have gotten here.

Thank you for your kind words. I came here for opinions and certainly do not mind ones that do not agree with what happened. I myself, after the fact, questioned it. That being said I believe you can deliver your message without being mean. As for the post you quoted I believe it says more about the stress in her life than in mine as I would never answer someone who I didn't agree with like that. Her group hug and flower certainly did not fool me into thinking it was concern on her part but if you look you will see that I did answer her as respectfully as I could.

The issue I have at my local Costco at the exits is the two employee system and the way that it forms into one line and then splits into two lines. The end of the line can be somewhat fuzzy. Some are leisurely strolling while others are moving past people. However, I've seen it at the point where there's clearly a line and someone tries to go past it.

I also heard from a coworker that at least in my state there's no obligation for a customer leaving a store to show a receipt to a store employee, unless someone is specifically suspected of shoplifting. The exception is supposed to be membership stores since there's a requirement in the membership agreement. He said that at many stores he'd simply decline and the employee is trained to allow someone to exit without confrontation.

I haven't really seen any huge confrontation at Costco over the exit line. I did see it once at a checkout line one time when a new line opened, and someone (carry a child no less) took exception to another customer jumping ahead of her to the new line. It started getting really ugly too, with neither side willing to back down. A manager saw this and then asked one customer to come to a new line that he opened up just for her. If he hadn't intervened I saw the potential for fists to start flying.

This happens here in the states. It's called entitlement. People think that they're above the norms for whatever reason. Costco, BJ's, Sam's Club, all the same, they all check your receipt against your cart. There's just those people that think the line doesn't apply to them. The altercation may not be worth it, but at the same time, it's going to show these idiots that you're not going to let it happen quietly.

Some of the worst cases that we have in the states of this are the people that see a lane on a highway is going to be closed in "X" distance. Well, instead of merging over and getting in the long line of cars, they'll speed all the way up to where the road crew has the cones and direction arrow pushing directing you to the other lane and try and merge in. Sure, you have those that will let that person in, but you also have a lot more that ride the bumper of the car in front of them and the guy winds up sitting there, getting angrier by the second, starts motioning, making the car jump like they'll hit you, honking their horn, etc.

We also have issues with people just merging on ramps. There's a bunch that do understand how to merge, but I'm convinced there's more that don't. I mean, the yellow Yield sign is on the ramp lane for a reason. People just think that if there's no room in 2 lanes full of traffic that is at highway speed, they'll just bull their way into line. I've had more than a few times that I was stuck in the slow lane going past a merge point with someone flipping me off because I couldn't and wouldn't let them in... when they're supposed to yield and stop if traffic conditions don't allow for them to enter. I just keep going and they'll ride the shoulder eventually getting in behind as the road runs out and I'm not going to give.

YOU need to look up zipper merge... I'm sure there's a you tube that will show you how you are supposed to drive.

A few weeks ago, I was lining up for the restroom with my elderly mom at a theater before a seeing a play. She was looking at the two doors to the restroom and expressed concern about us getting separated and not being able to find her way back to the lobby (it was up some stairs and kind of confusing). I told my mom to stay in line right behind me. I would likely finish first and would stay in the sink area and wait for her. So this lady passes by the line, walks past the restroom, and casually walks back and stands next to the line. As I went around a corner, she inserted herself in the line between my mom and me. We had already waited at least five minutes and the line had continued to grow behind us. I said, "Excuse me, the line starts back there." She said, "Oh it's OK. I've been here all along." I said, "No, my mom has been behind me all along and now she is behind you." She said, "Oh. Well then I must be behind her." The lady behind my mom said, "No, I've been behind her all along." The ladies behind her tightened up the line and glared at her. She didn't say anything else before she went slinking away. I don't know if she went to the back or tried to cut someone else. Nerve!

Ok two Costco stories. We were in line for gas. Two cars were at the pumps and the front car had pulled out while the second car was just starting to move when another car zips in front of the second car who had to slam on brakes to keep from rear ending him. When I get out of my car and ask what gave him the right to go in front of everyone else who was waiting he says "My wife told me to do it." At that point I kind of felt sorry for him that his wife has to tell him how to do things and when to do it. We still laugh about that to this day.
Second one is, I'm sure some other people have heard this one, while waiting in line to have the cart check at the door some one walks up and says " I only have one thing" thinking it's okay to pass everyone by because they only have one thing.

I drive a big '93 Lincoln built on a frame. Would have liked to be your father. I got rear ended by a Toyota Camry once. He couldn't open his door. I had to have it towed only because he pushed my tail pipe into the tire. Also we locked bumpers. To look at it you wouldn't know I was hit. The tow truck driver said said "Not only built tough but also built like a tank."

They don't built them like that anymore

I know it's not about Costco, but this is the first I've heard about the "zipper merge" concept. I agree that it's a great idea, but ... it doesn't work at all if drivers don't know that they are supposed to do it.

Apparently my state is supposedly "encouraging" zipper merges? First I've heard. I haven't seen any clear signs to that effect locally, and the normally observed practice is to try to get over as soon as you can tell that a lane is closed. People get tetchy when they get over early and someone goes zipping by in an empty lane and then tries to get in right at the lane barrier. However, if both lanes were full of cars and were taking turns at the the barrier, it should eliminate the hard feelings. (I have to say, though, that as of right now, the only way to get it to work would be to put up temporary lighted signs on BOTH sides of the highway explaining that you should stay in your lane until directed that it is your turn to merge -- preferably by a uniformed officer.)

If there is a bottleneck at Costco (or any store) for receipt checks, then complain to the manager. The store obviously needs to add extra employees at the exit.

I'm going to try my best to change the way I view line cutters at Disney on my next trip. After the Las Vegas shooting, I'm determined to put more positivity out in the world.

With all the tragedies that have happened lately, may I ask why the Vegas shootings are your reason? It's a wonderful thought, to add more positive actions, but what was it about the Vegas shootings? I'm sorry if you lost a loved one there, or experienced it yourself. I'm glad you decided to take a horrible situation and try to add some light back into the world. For me, my turning point was an interaction I had with a student at school. The knowledge I gained from how she lived her life, and how even the smallest kindness and understanding was more then she got at home - wow! I was determined to give all my students much more encouragement and praise. That was 14 years ago. I hope I've made a difference.

I see you have never been to NY. On a lot of our ramps to both expressways and parkways, there are yield signs that are yellow and red ones, traffic lights that show you when to go to merge on those roads, and one ramp that actually has a stop sign and the shortest merge lane that I have ever seen. Also, the ramp with the stop sign, the parkway has a curve so that even if you look, you can’t tell if a car is coming. When you get on you hope that there is no car coming, you hope that your car accelerates like it is promised on the commercials and you hope that the car behind you isn’t that close and is watching you and be able to break if you have to. Different states, different roads and signs.

I drive through NY maybe 2-4 times a year. It frightens me when I do!

So back to Costco ;)----WHY do they check receipts?! Everything is so big there how could anyone possibly steal anything?

So back to Costco ;)----WHY do they check receipts?! Everything is so big there how could anyone possibly steal anything?

I believe it's to make sure you got charged for everything. Mistakes can happen at the checkout. It's also happened to me personally that I left my cart briefly to order at the food court (pulled it to the side), and someone else took it (by mistake) and noticed it when their receipt did not match the items in the cart. It takes, at my Costco, at most another 60 seconds (most times a LOT less). If it helps keep prices low, I'm all for it.

With all the tragedies that have happened lately, may I ask why the Vegas shootings are your reason? It's a wonderful thought, to add more positive actions, but what was it about the Vegas shootings? I'm sorry if you lost a loved one there, or experienced it yourself. I'm glad you decided to take a horrible situation and try to add some light back into the world. For me, my turning point was an interaction I had with a student at school. The knowledge I gained from how she lived her life, and how even the smallest kindness and understanding was more then she got at home - wow! I was determined to give all my students much more encouragement and praise. That was 14 years ago. I hope I've made a difference.

I drive through NY maybe 2-4 times a year. It frightens me when I do!

You’re right that we’ve had so many tragedies lately :( I think I’ve come to realize that absolutely nothing will be done on a national level that makes a difference. We are too divided as a nation. People are so quick to anger these days. The stories from Vegas of courage and heroism (and the heartless stories like the cbs exec) have inspired me to do my best not to put negativity out in the world. We are overflowing with it. This probably sounds really stupid since I’m sure it won’t make a bit of difference. I just can’t handle doing nothing and going on with life while people are mass murdered.

Sorry for the tangent. I wanted to respond.

I believe it's to make sure you got charged for everything. Mistakes can happen at the checkout. It's also happened to me personally that I left my cart briefly to order at the food court (pulled it to the side), and someone else took it (by mistake) and noticed it when their receipt did not match the items in the cart. It takes, at my Costco, at most another 60 seconds (most times a LOT less). If it helps keep prices low, I'm all for it.
And they don’t bag things. So it’s hard to say who’s not just walking out with a cart full of stuff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter