Lines to get in GE or the rest of the park?

So it was easy to get into the land itself? We`re visiting in October, and our plan is to visit GE on weekday evenings.
Yes, we walked right in. When you open the Disney app now, there's a picture of GE - click "find out more" and it opens a page that shows "Now Boarding" - if it's blank, you can walk in and don't need to join a "Boarding Group" - scroll down the page, past the map and you'll see Millennium Falcon: Smuggler's Run and the wait time is shown on the right side.

I imagine many are doing that.
I agree, and it makes sense. If a big aspect of your vacation is to visit the new Star Wars area, I would rather wait when everything is opened as opposed to just some of it, especially if ROTR is going to be the big deal that it's made out to be. It benefits us that are going now.

Being in the minority doesn’t mean we should be put at a permanent disadvantage.
No, but financially you probably aren't what's bringing them the most money. And as I mentioned earlier, letting local residents have the same access as those that paid thousands of dollar for a trip would absolutely disadvantage them and take away one of the best benefits to spending money and staying on Disney property. I would be livid if I spent $2,000 on a trip only to have the local people use up all of the fastpasses when they could visit the parks anytime.

The advantage for the locals is that they can, in theory, go any time, and we therefore have more opportunities to ride the rides. Those that stay on Disney property and plan trips only have a set amount of days to use the parks.

Yes, we walked right in. When you open the Disney app now, there's a picture of GE - click "find out more" and it opens a page that shows "Now Boarding" - if it's blank, you can walk in and don't need to join a "Boarding Group" - scroll down the page, past the map and you'll see Millennium Falcon: Smuggler's Run and the wait time is shown on the right side.

Thanks, we`ll do that.

No, but financially you probably aren't what's bringing them the most money. And as I mentioned earlier, letting local residents have the same access as those that paid thousands of dollar for a trip would absolutely disadvantage them and take away one of the best benefits to spending money and staying on Disney property. I would be livid if I spent $2,000 on a trip only to have the local people use up all of the fastpasses when they could visit the parks anytime.

The advantage for the locals is that they can, in theory, go any time, and we therefore have more opportunities to ride the rides. Those that stay on Disney property and plan trips only have a set amount of days to use the parks.

As I said before, I have a season pass to my local Six Flags park, and the advantages are already tremendous. We pay a pittance for unlimited entries, and we`ll always get to ride something; if``s it`s too busy today, we`ll just ride it the next time. Or the time after that...

The problem is certain rides are always busy from open to close, unless a hurricane has interrupted business, and those are the same rides (7DMT, FOP, SDD, PP) you can’t get a fp for unless you book 60+ days out or get lucky the day of. It’s not a matter of skipping it one visit and finding a low line the next. Local passholders have nothing but disadvantages as far as access to attractions. No early park access and unequal fp access. Really the only advantages given to all passholders are discounts on overpriced merchandise/table service and a free magicband, which do not make up for unequal attractions access.

The problem is certain rides are always busy from open to close, unless a hurricane has interrupted business, and those are the same rides (7DMT, FOP, SDD, PP) you can’t get a fp for unless you book 60+ days out or get lucky the day of. It’s not a matter of skipping it one visit and finding a low line the next. Local passholders have nothing but disadvantages as far as access to attractions. No early park access and unequal fp access. Really the only advantages given to all passholders are discounts on overpriced merchandise/table service and a free magicband, which do not make up for unequal attractions access.
But it is a matter of skipping it one visit and finding a low line the next time. Locals have that ability; visitors don't.

I understand certain rides are always busy, I totally get it. It's frustrating to me that my only hopes for SDD or FOP are usually early in the morning or late at night, I really can't plan on any midday riding unless the refresh method works for me (which is often does). But the ease with which I can go to the parks whenever I want is the benefit. With the current FP+ system, allowing locals to have the 60 day advantage as well would completely ruin any benefit to people staying on Disney property, or even planning a vacation ahead of time for that matter. Locals really are probably in the minority when it comes to those visiting Disney on any given day, so it makes sense to give preference to those taking a vacation. And as I've continued to state, with the current system locals would 100% abuse the ability to get FP+ and hold on to the good rides even if they had no intention of going.

This. We are sort of local (2 hours away) and have had APs for years. I literally just rode FOP for the first time 3 weeks ago, because I was finally able to find a FP. I only managed this because I had an onsite stay.. and even then I wasn't able to get what I wanted at 60 days. Why should we be relegated to waiting in hours long lines just because we live close enough to visit more than once a year?
We do day trips, but more often than not we stay at least overnight, usually two nights. Sometimes that's onsite, sometimes offsite. We probably spend more money per year than 'vacationers'. We usually go once a month, eating at least one TS meal, several CS meals, etc. 3 weeks ago I spent 4 days at the Poly CL, and we're going to check out GE and F&W on Saturday. So, why can't us locals who spend THOUSANDS of dollars a year have the same access as 'vacationers' who spend similar amounts?

This. We are sort of local (2 hours away) and have had APs for years. I literally just rode FOP for the first time 3 weeks ago, because I was finally able to find a FP. I only managed this because I had an onsite stay.. and even then I wasn't able to get what I wanted at 60 days. Why should we be relegated to waiting in hours long lines just because we live close enough to visit more than once a year?
We do day trips, but more often than not we stay at least overnight, usually two nights. Sometimes that's onsite, sometimes offsite. We probably spend more money per year than 'vacationers'. We usually go once a month, eating at least one TS meal, several CS meals, etc. 3 weeks ago I spent 4 days at the Poly CL, and we're going to check out GE and F&W on Saturday. So, why can't us locals who spend THOUSANDS of dollars a year have the same access as 'vacationers' who spend similar amounts?
Because they want to encourage people to stay onsite. It's really that simple. By staying onsite and spending more money at their resorts, they're rewarding you with the 60 day FP+ ability. Locals aren't as likely to do this. I'm an AP local and don't like it either, it's very frustrating as I'd likely go a lot more often if I knew I could ride the popular rides when I wanted. But I realize why Disney has this benefit in place.

FP+ would be perfect if it was booking the day of only. That would be fair for everybody. Locals have no chance for the most popular fp or sometimes just no chance for good am fp as we usually book a few weeks out or less.

I think the flip side of that is that locals get heavily discounted park tickets and usually have more flexibility as to when to go - meaning they can likely plan visits at more non-peak times...

If it's something that's very hard to get a FP+ for, locals always have the option of booking 1 night at the least expensive WDW hotel and then have 2 days to be able to take advantage of EMH & FP+ early booking. I know that's what a lot of people have done for GE. That's still a lot less expensive than what non-FL residents pay for a trip to WDW...

Not everyone can afford hotel stays- the annual passes have gotten very expensive- nor should they be necessary to have equal access to popular attractions.

Is this just some sort of new land opening phenomenon here that the lack of fast passes has led to shorter wait times? I've always felt FPs were a double edged sword. Just creating another line full of people and making the wait longer for standby? Or would we be better off without any sort of FP system?
I believe FP is an illusion! Bypass the line on only 3 attractions and wait in long lines for everything else. I could see more attractions quicker with the old paper ticket fast passes and only done at the more popular attractions like the way Disneyland still has it. Loved DL by the way! Like WDW of old with Max pass and paper tickets. Saw so much more in way less time than WDW new system. It would be better for all guests to do away with the current system.

I believe FP is an illusion! Bypass the line on only 3 attractions and wait in long lines for everything else. I could see more attractions quicker with the old paper ticket fast passes and only done at the more popular attractions like the way Disneyland still has it. Loved DL by the way! Like WDW of old with Max pass and paper tickets. Saw so much more in way less time than WDW new system. It would be better for all guests to do away with the current system.
WDW in general is also a lot bigger and has a lot going on. Not to mention more people at all times of the year. I believe tends to get more local attendance throughout the year compared to WDW, which gets a lot more tourist attendance, not to mention international tourists. That's why comparisons between DL and WDW are sometimes apples to oranges. I really don't think doing away with the current system would benefit people overall.

Not everyone can afford hotel stays- the annual passes have gotten very expensive- nor should they be necessary to have equal access to popular attractions.

I have a hard time feeling bad for FL residents (I wish I was one). The $699 gold AP pays for itself in the equivalent of 3 single day PH tickets, and most of the DS hotels can be had for the low $100's which have EMH & 60 day privileges. That is a lot cheaper than what out of state people would pay for a vacation (not taking into account travel costs as well).

I think the big driver also what several other people on this thread have mentioned - if FL AP holders can book FP's 60 days out, how is that enforced so they don't hold a spot that's then wasted if they decide not to go to the park that day?

Disagree. I think Maxpass would work very well at WDW. Of course, it's too late now since they took out all the old paper FP machines. They still use them at DL.

Everyone would have won at WDW if they had used the Maxpass system. They could have made the onsite resort perk be FREE Maxpass, and everyone else would have had to pay the $15 IF they wanted to use it, and if not, keep on using paper FP.

It is such a superior system in every way, and doesn't punish anyone. It's totally fair, but it allows you to get a TON of rides in every day. I have a feeling the new Disney Genie is going to work more like Maxpass than FP+.

We were at DLR last summer. MaxPass was a fantastic feature. We rode so much so often that I lost track. Shhh, don't tell Disney but I'd gladly pay double what they are charging for MaxPass. Too bad we won't see it at WDW.

I don't think Disney cares about affordability at the hotels. Just as long as there are enough people staying there, the number of people who cannot afford hotel stays is irrelevant. And right now they aren't having much trouble filling rooms. Also, equal access is by no means a value of the Disney corporation or any corporation. It's about maximizing profit, not being egalitarian or providing a public service.

I don't think Disney cares about affordability at the hotels. Just as long as there are enough people staying there, the number of people who cannot afford hotel stays is irrelevant. And right now they aren't having much trouble filling rooms. Also, equal access is by no means a value of the Disney corporation or any corporation. It's about maximizing profit, not being egalitarian or providing a public service.

Absolutely agree about affordability, but I don't think the hotels are as booked as they would like you to think. We're bombarded with ads to come and stay. You can still book Christmas, and there's a new Florida resident email offering rooms over Christmas. That tells me things are as lovely as they want them to appear. It's $3k for a family of four if you stay at Coronado:

Christmastime can be an even merrier time with this festive offer that includes an itinerary full of magical must-dos and exclusive experiences just for Guests on this package. You’ll even enjoy a 5-night stay at a select Disney Resort hotel (12/21–12/26/19), a 4-day Theme Park ticket with Park Hopper® Option and more!

This package has the following itinerary:
December 21: Arrive at your Disney Resort hotel then enjoy exclusive nighttime access to experience select attractions—including Avatar Flight of Passage and more—at Disney's Animal Kingdom® Theme Park
December 22: Celebrate the season with tickets to Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party at Magic Kingdom® Park
December 23 or 24: Enjoy an exclusive reserved viewing area to watch the new Epcot® Forever nighttime spectacular (one night per reservation), plus a digital $50 Epcot® Theme Park Dine Promo Card for each Guest ages 3 and up
December 25: Receive an Ultimate Disney Christmas gift delivered to your room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!