Lions and Tigers and CGI Bears, Oh My! June '16 - COMPLETED 6/4, page 22

We decided that the camera didn't need to come out again for (most of) the rest of the night, so into the backpack it went.

We reach Soarin', and, fortunately, it's early enough for section B to still be open. Good. Because sitting near the side was not good.

Dylan once again can't shut up about Patrick/Puddy/The Tick being the voice of Joe Swanson on "Family Guy", and I, once again, remind him that I realize that. Again.

In we go, up we go, then off we go and out we go.

After the final ride on that one for the ride, I decided that, after initially raving about it, I really don't like the new Soarin' movie. It's too fake. Either the scenes look completely animated (you can't convince me anything in the Taj Mahal scene is real), or there's so much CGI inserted into them that I find myself playing "what's real, what isn't" instead of enjoying the flight. And I'm completely convinced that there isn't an authentic human or animal anywhere in this movie.

The CGI works (to an extent) in the transitions, but there's way too much of it. I'm ok with CGI if it's in Arendelle or on Naboo, but the whole point of Soarin' was you got to experience flying over places you might never fly over, with actual people, vehicles, etc. Not animated reproductions of those places and things.

Time will tell if I ever grow to like it more, but I miss "old Soarin'". A lot. Disney really blew this one, IMO.

Afterwards, and in spite of the late start today, Kristin and Emily are done. They're ready to head back to CSR, but Dylan and I have other plans. They include a lightsaber.

But first, we want to see if we can waste even more time playing the giant game in the dump area of Mission: Space. We say "bye" to the girls, then over to MS we go.

Since there's no line for the ride, we decide to finally hit that, too, since we've missed out on it so far this trip. We select Orange Team, of course. The woman in the couple riding with us isn't too sure about this one, but gives it a go anyway. She was ok, but I think it might be a one-and-done for her.

Me? I love it. And it HAS to be Orange Team. Green just doesn't give you the necessary effect.

Much to our dismay, after exiting, we learn the game is shut down for the night. Oh, well. We stop in the gift shop to grab a shirt for Dylan, and the transaction is fraught with computer glitches. Story of the day. It was a bit annoying that we couldn't use up some of the snack credits we wanted to spend, due to the almost-all-day malfunctions in the Magic Band charging system, but it worked great the rest of the trip, so we can't complain TOO much. As of Day 10, this was the first time the Magic Bands DIDN'T work.

Since it was then almost time for Illuminations now, we walked over near the front of World Showcase and watched. This is Dylan's favorite show at WDW. I like it, too.

Once done, we joined the masses in exiting the park and boarding a bus.

But which bus?

Remember, we want to get to Disney Springs. Preferably before Once Upon a Toy closes, this time.

I go back to my previous idea of riding a bus to one of the Disney resorts near DTD, and Saratoga Springs it is. Since the park just closed, the line to board is LONG, and no bus is here. Or coming.

Eventually one does, but there are two people in line with ECVs. It takes FOREVER to seat them, and as the bus fills up, it's starting to look like we won't make it. Two teenagers in their groups had on hats of sports teams and political figures from the past whom we don't particularly like, which made us even more bitter. For no rational reason, but anyway.

The bus queue experience did take a positive turn, though. As we were waiting, I got to talking to the woman in front of me about the resort, if she likes it, and, most importantly, how to get to DS from there. She was really helpful. And nice. In fact, she was awesome.

Why? Because her family was the last one let on that first bus, and she told the driver Dylan and I were with her party. Thanks! We're packed like sardines in here, but at least we're on. And probably going to get a lightsaber.

Meanwhile, Kristin and Emily were photographing Coronado Springs at night:

Back to us boys, whose bus ride was a bit bizarre, since the driver told us the quickest way for us to get to the stop we wanted to exit at was to get off this bus at the first stop and board a different bus. Ok. Whatever you say. You're the driver.

We do, and eventually, we're at the final stop, dropped off within (long) walking distance to Disney Springs.

Saratoga Springs is really nice, but it's no Coronado. I can see what some love it, though. It's convenient that you can walk to DS, too.

The walk in itself was enjoyable, too. It was a beautiful evening, and the bridge looks great lit up.

We eventually reached Once Upon a Toy, which was open (!!!!!), AND had all the necessary parts for the two-sided Kylo Ren light saber. Yes!

We started to build it, but quickly became quite confused. A CM came over to help us. I asked him what pieces we needed to use for what we were trying to constuct. As he held up several pieces to his face, I realized he was blind. Not totally blind, but most definitely legally blind. That didn't stop him from helping us build the perfect lightsaber. There's a photo in the Day 11 update of the weapon. I promise!

Dylan and I thanked him, paid for the lightsaber, then exited the shop. YES. We did it. We got the lightsaber. We won.

Triumphant, and after a quick stop in whatever that trendy girl clothing store is to get a Mickey wallet for Kristin, it was now time to walk over to the bus stop to close out another great Disney day. We watched two kids get into an epic saber battle from afar, boarded the bus, and headed back to CSR. No teens singing. No hassle. And yes lightsaber.

At the resort by 11:15 and in bed by 11:45, we were going into the final leg of our vacation on a high note. Today was awesome.

Tomorrow, it's back to Magic Kingdom to say "bye" for another year. Or, for some of us, three more years.

Now, let's get some sleep. We want to hit the park hard tomorrow!

(Up next, back to Magic Kingdom for Day 11!)

Last edited:
YAY new update! I'm actually glad you didn't post any pictures of Frozen Ever After, so I can see it for myself in December! :santa: :yay:
The night shots Kristin and Emily took at CSR are awesome, that resort is nice... but I can never desert my beloved CBR! I'm happy you and Dylan were finally able to get his illusive lightsaber (Good call on getting Kristin a wallet... always good to bring back gifts. lol). Great update again, and Coral Reef looks amazing btw.

Nice update! :wave:

Thats great that they had some entertainment and water for the people in the long outside part of the line for the new Frozen ride. Sorry you didn't get pics but I don't blame you for not getting them. I like to experience the rides too and not through the camera lens (part of that is that my camera takes stinky dark ride pics, LOL). I have seen video on youtube and pics on facebook and here on the DIS so you're forgiven, LOL.

Sorry Kristen's steak wasn't too good at Coral Reef. Your shrimp and Dylan's pork both looked pretty good though. It's funny--that Chocolate wave and Baileys Mousse look different every time I see them.

I see what you mean about the new Soarin' Movie. I have only seen it on YouTube video so I couldn't really tell, but I agree, it should be actual scenes and not CGI through the whole thing.

Yay for finally getting the Lightsaber!! :yay:

Oh, and you know you just sang that line when you read that. Don't deny it.
I totally did. I can't pretend I didn't :blush:

Well, it's that stupid "we want to enjoy the attraction rather than watching it through a camera" thing again.
I get that. It's one of my pet peeeves. I don't mind having a camera stuck to my face the second time I experience something, but the first time, no way.

After the final ride on that one for the ride, I decided that, after initially raving about it, I really don't like the new Soarin' movie. It's too fake. Either the scenes look completely animated (you can't convince me anything in the Taj Mahal scene is real), or there's so much CGI inserted into them that I find myself playing "what's real, what isn't" instead of enjoying the flight. And I'm completely convinced that there isn't an authentic human or animal anywhere in this movie.
I was afraid that's how the new Soarin' looked. I've only see it via Youtube, but it does seem very CGI heavy and I've read that the photography warps some of the landmarks (Eiffel Tower) to the point where none of it seems real. The old Soarin' was one of my family's favourite attractions. Hopefully I'l get to experience it next year so I can see for myself.

This is Dylan's favorite show at WDW.
Mine too! He's got good taste. I've read that a replacement for Illuminations may be in the works, so I'm a bit nervous how that might turn out.

Great update! Congratulations to you and Dylan on the lightsaber victory! :darth: Wooo Hoo!! I'm definitely looking forward to Frozen Ever After, and cannot blame you for not taking any pictures the first time around. Definitely something to be said for experiencing things with your own eyes and not through a camera.

We still have some time before dinner, but figure we're done with World Showcase for another year. I mean, we're never truly "done" with World Showcase, since I could live in World Showcase. But, for now, we're moving on.

I concur!

As always, the desserts were wonderful, but the meal overall wasn't the best. I think not sitting by the tank took a lot away from the usual experience, and with Kristin not happy with her steak, this became a lowlight of the dining experience on this trip. It's a shame, since this is one of our favorite restaurants in WDW.

We had a bad Coral Reef experience and avoided it for a long time. But, we tried it again it recently for dinner and enjoyed it very much. I have to say, though, that I don't enjoy the atmosphere as much as I used to. We used to eat there for lunch and I can remember the restaurant being so calm and soothing, not crowded at all. But, after Disney changed The Living Seas to The Seas with Nemo and Friends the Coral Reef got much more crowded and it wasn't as serene.

Time will tell if I ever grow to like it more, but I miss "old Soarin'". A lot. Disney really blew this one, IMO.

I concur again! I truly miss the old Soarin'. :sad:

We eventually reached Once Upon a Toy, which was open (!!!!!), AND had all the necessary parts for the two-sided Kylo Ren light saber. Yes!

:thumbsup2

Good, long update! Glad you got to ride FEA. We were just a few days shy...kind of like 7DMT for you guys, the year it opened. we will hit it once next June but that will be enough for one trip, I'm sure. Sorry Coral Reef wasn't up to standards. And I'm worried about Soarin'. I'm so glad we got the old one this past trip.

Yay on the Light Saber! I definitely don't need my boys to see that next trip!

Looking forward to more!

Great FEA review! That's a bummer about the new Soarin'. We loved the old one, but my oldest is just now tall enough to ride it. I'm sad that none of my kids will get to experience the original - OTOH, they won't know what they're missing!

YAY new update! I'm actually glad you didn't post any pictures of Frozen Ever After, so I can see it for myself in December! :santa: :yay:

I try not to watch ride videos or look at photos before I get to ride something for the first time. I want the surprise!

The night shots Kristin and Emily took at CSR are awesome, that resort is nice... but I can never desert my beloved CBR!

Mmmm...monkey cupcake...

I'm happy you and Dylan were finally able to get his illusive lightsaber (Good call on getting Kristin a wallet... always good to bring back gifts. lol).

She asked me to pick it up :)

The lightsaber was a major victory! And a pretty cool toy, too. We've battled in the front yard since we've come back :)

Thats great that they had some entertainment and water for the people in the long outside part of the line for the new Frozen ride.

The Vikings were hilarious! I've read posts from people saying they don't like them, but I can't understand why.

Sorry Kristen's steak wasn't too good at Coral Reef. Your shrimp and Dylan's pork both looked pretty good though.

They were! The Shrimp and Grits is pretty much can't miss.

It's funny--that Chocolate wave and Baileys Mousse look different every time I see them.

I know! I liked the Baileys thing best in the square cup.

I see what you mean about the new Soarin' Movie. I have only seen it on YouTube video so I couldn't really tell, but I agree, it should be actual scenes and not CGI through the whole thing.

I'd like to know how much of it is CGI. It seemed like an awful lot.

I get that. It's one of my pet peeeves. I don't mind having a camera stuck to my face the second time I experience something, but the first time, no way.

We have crappy footage of school musicals, etc., because I won't watch through the camera.

I was afraid that's how the new Soarin' looked. I've only see it via Youtube, but it does seem very CGI heavy and I've read that the photography warps some of the landmarks (Eiffel Tower) to the point where none of it seems real. The old Soarin' was one of my family's favourite attractions. Hopefully I'l get to experience it next year so I can see for myself.

It's certainly far from a bad attraction. It just doesn't live up to the old attraction, IMO. I didn't notice a lot of smells, either, unless that just wasn't working.

Mine too! He's got good taste. I've read that a replacement for Illuminations may be in the works, so I'm a bit nervous how that might turn out.

No!!! I mean, it would probably be great, but...no!!!
Great update! Congratulations to you and Dylan on the lightsaber victory! :darth: Wooo Hoo!! I'm definitely looking forward to Frozen Ever After, and cannot blame you for not taking any pictures the first time around. Definitely something to be said for experiencing things with your own eyes and not through a camera.

Rumor has it the weapon may appear in my next update.

We had a bad Coral Reef experience and avoided it for a long time. But, we tried it again it recently for dinner and enjoyed it very much. I have to say, though, that I don't enjoy the atmosphere as much as I used to. We used to eat there for lunch and I can remember the restaurant being so calm and soothing, not crowded at all. But, after Disney changed The Living Seas to The Seas with Nemo and Friends the Coral Reef got much more crowded and it wasn't as serene.

Not sure if it's in Kristin's plans for next year. I'd hate to give up on it after one less-than-stellar experience.

And I'm worried about Soarin'. I'm so glad we got the old one this past trip.

I just don't get it. It could have been done similarly, but so much better :(

Great FEA review! That's a bummer about the new Soarin'. We loved the old one, but my oldest is just now tall enough to ride it. I'm sad that none of my kids will get to experience the original - OTOH, they won't know what they're missing!

It could come back at some point, if only temporarily. It would be great it you got the option.

Ok, it's no secret I've been dragging my heels finishing this Trip Report. But that ends now! Or, at least soon! I'm off for the next six days, so there WILL be updates. And I WILL (try to) complete this TR. Starting tonight.

Stay tuned!

Day 11 - Thursday - Magic Kingdom

Itinerary:
  • Sleep in
  • Magic Kingdom from afternoon to close

FastPass+
  • Splash Mountain: 9:00-10:00
  • Seven Dwarfs Mine Train: 10:00-11:00
  • Space Mountain: 11:00-12:00

ADR:
  • Narcoossee's: 5:30pm

Ok! This is it! Last day in the parks! Let's hit it early!

Or...

...not.

In what's becoming a trend for this family, Kristin and the kids want to sleep in. Of course, I don't.

Or, rather, I usually don't. Feeling much more stuffed up on the previous day than I let you in on in this Trip Report, I would LOVE to sleep as late as possible and wake up feeling 100%. And I did get to bed early, in spite of taking Sudafed earlier in the day. Typically, if I take Sudafed any time after noon, I find it near impossible to fall asleep. But last night, that wasn't the case. I fell asleep right away, and slept like a baby...

...until about 4:30. Ugh. Stupid Sudafed. There's a reason I try to avoid taking this stuff. So it's 4:30, and I'm awake, and I'm dead tired, and I can't fall back asleep. This stinks!

After tossing and turning for about an hour and a half, I finally said, "forget this" (or something similar) and got in the shower. If I can't sleep, I'm going to the Magic Kingdom. It's morning Extra Magic Hours today, and if I'm going to be awake, I might as well make the most of it.

If you can believe it, getting ready with everyone else still asleep goes MUCH quicker than when we're running into each other, so I'm out the door and to the bus stop by 6:45. Magic Kingdom, here I come!

I get to the bus stop, and a couple arrives shortly after. They're vlogging or something. He's recording, she's narrating. Ok.

Onto the bus we go, and it's already almost full. I stand in the back, still half asleep. The vloggers are right in front of me.

As I teetered on my feet in a Sudaged hangover daze, I noticed a button on the woman's backpack that read, "the Adventures of Peas and Carrot". Hey, that sounds familiar. Are they on the DISboards?

On a normal day when I was slightly more coherent, I would have asked them about the button. And I would have learned that they ARE on the DISboards, and they do post some really good vlogs. And I could have been in one. Maybe. I'm a D-level character, at best.

But who knows? Maybe I did get in. Accidentally. They WERE recording on the bus.

The bus arrives at MK with plenty of time before rope drop, which stinks, because standing here by myself is pretty boring.

You know, this seemed like a good idea earlier. And I did have fun doing Epcot solo. But it's just not the same with the rest of the family.

*sigh*

Guess I better make the best of it. Don't know how I can, though. I really mis-HOLY CRAP, MICKEY!!

Alright, no time for being sad. ROPE DROP!

Get out of the way, ducks! Tsunami of humans coming fast!

So now that I'm in the park, where to first? What's the plan? Hip me to the agenda.

Hold on - what? Space Mountain? But that's in...

That's in...

Tomorrowland!!!

Oh, man. You can NOT hit Tomorrowland at Rope Drop. That's where EVERYONE goes. You see, as per the Unofficial Guide to WDW, you don't go back to Tomorrowland first, because our brains are hard-wired to be the anti-Nascar and go right on instinct, or something. So Tomorrowland gets crowded. Really quickly.

Except today, apparently. There is no one back here. It's almost completely empty.

I reach SM, and it's not even open yet. A few more minutes. Then, in we go.

I was probably one of the first 20 people on the ride, if that. And after riding, I rode it again. Walk-on. This is awesome!

You know what was NOT awesome, though? How Disney keeps misquoting me:

I never...c'mon, Disney. I said, "HOW would serious golfers play on Mars, WHEN THERE IS NO OXYGEN?" Stop twisting my words.

I heard those signs either went away or are going away sometime soon. Probably because of libel suits.

So where to next? Well, I COULD tell you. But why ruin the surprise? I'll make you wait for the next post to see, because suspense makes for a good story.

I'm going to the Haunted Mansion. Of course. Why wouldn't I? I'm in MK, all by myself, and can ride whatever I want. As many times as I want. So I choose the Haunted Mansion.

Five times.

Yep, you read that right. Five times. Because I can.

But before I beat to death the greatest ride ever constructed, here are some photos in a series I like to call, "It's June - why isn't anyone in the Magic Kingdom right now?":

And here are some other photos that I like, but didn't fit the previous theme:

And finally, here is the - wait, what are you doing to my mansion?

No fair! Refund! I can't ride it like that!

Oh, who am I kidding? Of course I can. Like I said, five times.

Since there was no one in front or behind me in the queue on the first of these five times, the camera got utilized:

I got inside, and the Stretching Room was maybe 5% full. Now in we go!

As you should know by now, I LOVE this ride. So much. I'm so happy when I'm riding it. In fact, I think I'll ride it again.

And again.

Each time I passed through the queue, there were more and more people. But not too many people. And the ones that were there were clearly ignorant of some key tips to getting through the line quicker:

1. Knowing where the door to the Stretching Room is
  2. Knowing where the door from the Stretching Room is
  3. Actually listening the CM and filling in all available spots near the entrance

So I'm through it all with the pole position almost every time. Awesome. No waiting!

Here we go again!

But the more I ride, the more I'm starting to look down upon the others in line with me. They don't understand. They can't understand. And as evident by their awful planning execution, obviously don't want to understand. So I'm going to the front, past the unnecessary single-file line outside the Mansion. You, know - actually listening to the CM. And I'm going to stand near the hidden doors, both to and from the Stretching Room. Because I am that much more Haunted Mansion than the rest of these peasants.

As I waited inside the foyer on the fourth ride, a woman came up to me and touched my arm. She thought I was a statue. Hey, it was dark. Besides, I COULD be part of this attraction. I SHOULD be part of this attraction. Unlike these ingrates. Casual HM fans. Posers.

By the fifth ride, I became completely aware that I had become an arrogant, pompous, stuck-up, Haunted Mansion elitist, and I didn't care. I owned it. Guilty.

Example: In the queue that time, a woman referred to it as the "haunted house". I...can't...even...

A nearby CM had a great comeback, though, and corrected her by saying, "we do not have a haunted house. We have a Haunted Mansion. We are sophisticated here."

BOOM! In-character ride name correction! And who here reading isn't annoyed by people not knowing the correct names of the rides?

So, here I am, riding again. And why SHOULDN'T I ride it a fifth time? Why shouldn't I get on first?This is MY ride. MY ride!! I'm just being nice and letting you ride it, too. BOW DOWN!

Whoa, ok. Slow down there, Jon. This is supposed to be fun.

And it was! Five rides, and since my snobbish attitude was internalized 100%, there was no well-deserved confrontation over it.

Kidding aside (or was I?), I was having a blast. Space Mountain was great (though better with the family), and I just rode the Haunted Mansion five times. With almost no wait. And it wasn't even 10:00 yet.

After the last ride, I was actually ready to move on (what?). But with at least 15 minutes until my 7DMT FPs were ready, I had to find something else.

How about Mickey's Philharmagic?

Sure, why not? I love this one, and Kristin and the kids usually only like to watch it once per trip. So in I go.

Opera glasses on, and it's showtime! I felt like I could have passed out, since my head was still in a haze from lack of sleep and amphetamine cold medicine. But sleep was not to be had. Not here, not now. Show over...moving on!

On the way to the Mine Train, this was happening:

I guess they make a whole to-do about it now. Sometimes.

I have FPs for 7DMT, so I'm through the less-fun queue quickly. When I reach the front, I ask for the back. Kristin and Emily swear by the back on this ride, so I figure I'll give it a shot.

My ride partner's ready to go, too:

That's right - Baby D. My main. My sleep buddy this week. He came to the park with me today, exclusively for Seven Dwarfs Mine Train ride video fun, to show Emily later. She had no idea Baby D was here with me. Heck, she probably wasn't even awake yet.

That was fun, by the way, at bag check. "Is this your bear, (middle-aged man at the Magic Kingdom by himself)?"

I rode with Baby D out, which I'm sure looked ridiculous to anyone else in attendance, but I don't care. Seven Dwarfs Mine Train ride video fun makes it all worth it. Plus, he's my main.

I must say, that ride is great in the last car! You're constantly moving. The Dwarfs' shadows were marching up the hill, too, so I left happy.

But wait - we're not done yet! There's a party. A castle party. You're all invited. But no so fast - it's at the Castle. But it's something else...

New show! I think this was the 3rd or 4th day this show was running. Our vacation span was perfect, because we got to see a lot opening or changing.

Now, more show pics!

The story here is that there is a party - a castle party. Popular Disney characters are all invited, and come and join the fun. Characters like

and

and let's not forget

and what's a castle party without

NOTHING. That's what it is.

But they're all here, and it's all fun. And hot. This was the most I sweat the entire trip, hands down. Distant second was while watching the Star Wars stage show at Hollywood Studio, so it must be something with shows. Or standing in direct, scorching sunlight for a half hour, without moving. One of those things. "It beats PA in January," I tell myself. And it does. Cold stinks. But hey, back to the show!

Missing from this party was Louis, the trumpet-playing gator from "Princess and the Frog", since we were only about a week out from the attack at the Grand Floridian.

Now, more photos, conspicuously out of sequence:

Gawrsh!

For the finale, Elsa, as she is wont to do, goes all snow queen on us and starts firing off frost magic, with reckless abandon:

But hey, it's hot, so she can make it snow out here all she wants. Even if it is just soap.

Speaking of soap, there's a fountain outside of where I work. One day, pranksters filled it with dish soap. There were large clouds of soap suds blowing across the road the rest of the day. Since then, the fountain no longer runs.

I feel like I've told you that story already.

Anyway, back to Florida. With only a few soap suds. Since it's a Disney show, it has to end with fireworks:

That was a fun show! Not really much different from any show they ever have at this castle, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

With the show done, there really is no point for me to stay here any longer. I absolutely WRECKED Magic Kingdom this morning, and I'm beat. Remember how I was really, really tired earlier? Well, it didn't get much better. But, too bad. It was my last day, and I wanted to ride HM! And ride HM! And...

Finally done, I boarded the next bus back to CSR, more than fulfilled from a ride-intensive morning in the park. I had a total of eight rides and watched two shows, all in just a few hours. If the vacation ended here, I'd be satisfied.

But it didn't end here. There's more. Like, an entire afternoon and evening more.

I got back to Coronado around noon. After touring hard, I was ready to relax.

Little did I know, I was walking into a war...

(up next...who knows?)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter