Literally

Literally and figuratively are not synonyms no matter how much people try to make them mean the same thing. If you are "literally on fire" you better have burns to show me.

I don't know if these count since they aren't actual words, but DH says "irregardless" and, for whatever reason "dethaw". I think originally "dethaw" was a slip of the tongue combining "thaw" and "defrost", but he knows it drives me crazy so will ask what meat I want him to pull from the freezer to "dethaw". :faint:

You know what I mean? It drives me crazy when people drop that in at the end of every sentence. Do they thing you are dumb and need to ask in case they need to clarify whatever they were saying? Was it so complicated they have to ask if you understand? You know what I mean?

You "just can't"... what???????? I'm waiting for the rest of your thought... I've been waiting for years for teen girls to tell me WHAT it is they "just can't".

Seriously though, I'm not picking on you. Just had to point that one out, lol. It's a good one.

I'm old, so please don't take offense. :flower3:

Or, "WHAT the..."

Really, Mr. 10 year old boy? What could you POSSIBLY end that sentence with that is appropriate for a kid your age to be saying? That phrase is banned in my house - but that's because in my mind, I automatically fill in the rest of the sentence with the four-letter word that nobody should be saying at ANY age!

"Goes"
She goes, "I literally look super cute today."

Where did she go? Is she still there? I want to go!

Oh, and then I hear it come out of my own mouth and I'm so ashamed!

Or, "WHAT the..."

Really, Mr. 10 year old boy? What could you POSSIBLY end that sentence with that is appropriate for a kid your age to be saying? That phrase is banned in my house - but that's because in my mind, I automatically fill in the rest of the sentence with the four-letter word that nobody should be saying at ANY age!
Same here with my 9 year old!

One of my girls used to say "no, offense, but....". Don't know how many times I had to explain to her that even though she said no offense, it could still be offensive :) Same kid always said actually as well. Probably, technically too. I've been known to over use actually. I think I finally broke that habit awhile back :)

but he knows it drives me crazy so will ask what meat I want him to pull from the freezer to "dethaw". :faint:

My DH does this too. I’m sure other people just think he’s an idiot sometimes because they’re too polite to correct him and can’t tell that he’s joking.

Of course, the phrases/words that bother me the most are the ones he uses most often. He literally ;) says “I’m so exonerated” (exhausted) every day and it makes me want to strangle him.

You "just can't"... what???????? I'm waiting for the rest of your thought...

LOL, yes. Also, the phrase, “Have a good one!” Have a good what? I think because “Have a nice day” is so overused, people are looking for an alternative.

Frankly I’d prefer a simple “good morning” (or afternoon or night), “enjoy your day” (or afternoon or evening), or even just “goodbye”.

I’m sure other people just think he’s an idiot sometimes because they’re too polite to correct him and can’t tell that he’s joking.

YES! He says it completely deadpan. Just like when he jokes we should go to "Chip-ott-all" because that was how his grandmother pronounced "Chipotle".

LOL, yes. Also, the phrase, “Have a good one!” Have a good what? I think because “Have a nice day” is so overused, people are looking for an alternative.

Frankly I’d prefer a simple “good morning” (or afternoon or night), “enjoy your day” (or afternoon or evening), or even just “goodbye”.
I am so guilty of this, especially when you're at an in between time, like 3pm. Good afternoon or good evening? Whatever it is, hope it's a good one!

You "just can't"... what???????? I'm waiting for the rest of your thought... I've been waiting for years for teen girls to tell me WHAT it is they "just can't".

Seriously though, I'm not picking on you. Just had to point that one out, lol. It's a good one.

I'm old, so please don't take offense. :flower3:

Hhahaa nope, you got me!

This is better, " I Just can't take one more person saying the word "like" 4 times in a sentence!!!! :tongue:

I don't know if these count since they aren't actual words, but DH says "irregardless" and, for whatever reason "dethaw". I think originally "dethaw" was a slip of the tongue combining "thaw" and "defrost", but he knows it drives me crazy so will ask what meat I want him to pull from the freezer to "dethaw". :faint:

HEHE Next time he does it tell him to take the roast out of the Dethawer.

Here are some more.

Basically.

I am basically going to the store. NO!!! You are either going to the store or you are not. There is no basically about it.
Basically, they want more information before investing. NO!!! They want more information!!!

Literally.
I am literally rotfl right now. NO!!! You were literally typing.

No offense but...... Yeah, insert offensiveness here.

I don't mean to be nosy but...... Yeah you do.

Long story short. ZZZZZZZZZ wha? What? Why couldn't you make the long story short BEFORE you put me to sleep?

I've noticed my oldest son always saying "soooooo" before he starts explaining anything to me. Doesn't bother me but I have noticed it a lot in the past couple of years. My youngest DS and his wife say "like" every 3-5 words. I always wonder how he speaks to pilots when helping to land their planes being an ATC. :teeth:

I've noticed my oldest son always saying "soooooo" before he starts explaining anything to me. Doesn't bother me but I have noticed it a lot in the past couple of years. My youngest DS and his wife say "like" every 3-5 words. I always wonder how he speaks to pilots when helping to land their planes being an ATC. :teeth:

I was going to add "so" too. One article I read said Mark Zuckerberg uses this a lot, and they theorized it might have led to a rise in its usage.

According to the dictionary, literally also means figuratively now, which is stupid and drives me crazy. I know language is always evolving, but some of these things I just cannot abide.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!