Little Mermaid casting

i see one tiny problem disney might have with this in the parks Ariel is white in the live action movie she won't be white, good luck to parents and cast members try to explain that to a kid and also the kid might ask the lady from the fog movie which was disney's first movie about that race and last hand draw movie. So disney was like i know we do have a black princes but now whatever we can make a princes any color we want, yay money.

Why would a kid ask Tiana about Ariel's race or anyone's race for that matter? Were there a lot of reports of kids asking Cinderella about race after seeing the Brandy version? Why assume it is a "yay money" grab, rather than selecting the best person for the part? Changing one princess does not mean they are going to change them all...

The 007 character (not James Bond) will now be played by LaShana Lynch:

SEI_64238092.jpg

To say anything negative will undoubtedly prove one to be sexist and racist.

Last edited:
I don't think the Brandy version of Cinderella was made by Disney i think it was on tv in the 90's and then when to vhs I have no idea. Has for this new cast lets just wait and see some people don't like the new Aladdin movie I did and the new so called live action lion king might not be as great as the cartoon.

I'm glad to see there are others who are also looking forward to seeing the new Little Mermaid! :) It's my favorite Disney movie and I like to be able to just be happy about with some other Disney fans. :)

I'm very excited! Im hesitant about McCarthy as Ursula. Other than that I think it sounds great. Ariel was my first crush and it had nothing to do with her skin tone or hair color, it was her singing and attitude. Also with Menken and Lin Manuel doing the lyrics/music (which imo is what makes or breaks this movie) I have a lot of hopes for this to be good.

I don't think the Brandy version of Cinderella was made by Disney i think it was on tv in the 90's and then when to vhs I have no idea. Has for this new cast lets just wait and see some people don't like the new Aladdin movie I did and the new so called live action lion king might not be as great as the cartoon.

It was a part of the Wide World of Disney and aired on ABC. Whitney Houston and Walt Disney Television were two of the producers.

I am not really big on the casting roles for the remake, I prefer the original classic story itself. If they should do a remake of it, then they should focus more on Ursula rather than Ariel, as well all (who have seen the film) know her side of the story.

I am not really big on the casting roles for the remake, I prefer the original classic story itself. If they should do a remake of it, then they should focus more on Ursula rather than Ariel, as well all (who have seen the film) know her side of the story.
You mean the original classic where the prince marries someone else and the mermaid turns into a foam air spirit?

Sorry, had to ask. 😉

I love "The Little Mermaid" story. When Disney originally tackled it, they changed the story quite a bit; none of the part about her being meant to kill her love so that she can return to her family, and her sacrifice to refuse and getting turned into sea foam....Things that might be worth worrying about are the portrayal of a young female character who is so dazzled by a cute guy that she gives up her voice, the life she knows, and modifies her body for him. I know that sounds a bit extreme, but that seems more problematic to me than what singing fish people, under the sea, look like....Just sayin'.

Anyway, the music will undoubtedly be wonderful, and kudos to those that have the ability to sing them!

Ariel was 16, Halle Berry may be a bit old for that role. And in regards to that topic, Kestryl, I meant the 1989 Disney film, though the original story may also not be a bad idea, for at leas the main character found peace and moved on.

Ariel was 16, Halle Berry may be a bit old for that role. And in regards to that topic, Kestryl, I meant the 1989 Disney film, though the original story may also not be a bad idea, for at leas the main character found peace and moved on.

It's not Halle Berry - it's Halle Bailey. She is 19.

Halle Bailey is 19 (so 20/21 when it comes out).

Naomi Scott (Jasmine) was 25 while filming Aladdin. Emma Watson (Belle) was 26. Lily James (Cinderella) was 25. And there are scores and scores of people who have played and do play high schoolers even though they themselves are in their 20s or 30s.

I’m personally really, really ok with Disney updating the story so that Ariel is not a minor (by today’s standards).

Not a fan of the casting. Nothing against Halle (she seems lovely), but what is Disney doing...it's like they're trying so hard to be "woke". They're the ones who pushed the little mermaid image of long red hair/white pale skin for decades. And now suddenly they want to change it? Obviously idk how other people feel, for me the little mermaid is a nostalgic memory/classic and i wanted to see it play out true to its cartoon form. I don't need any cool twists and turns.

As a red head in the 80's, I latched onto Ariel because I finally saw a princess who looked like me
Not little orphan Annie
Not the red-headed step child
Not loony Lucille Ball
Not Carrot Top
a beautiful princess

And as attached to her as I am, it makes me THAT MUCH MORE happy to know that a generation of other girls will see themselves in Ariel, as well.
Bring it on, Disney!

Oh, sorry BrianL. NK DISNEY FAN wrote Halle Berry. No I have nothing against Halle Bailey playing Ariel. I just don't want to see another reboot with the same story plot.

I think remaking classic animations as real life is pure laziness. I haven't seen one yet that came anywhere near the originals.

I'm very excited! Im hesitant about McCarthy as Ursula. Other than that I think it sounds great. Ariel was my first crush and it had nothing to do with her skin tone or hair color, it was her singing and attitude. Also with Menken and Lin Manuel doing the lyrics/music (which imo is what makes or breaks this movie) I have a lot of hopes for this to be good.
Oh wonderful. Glad to see that Melissa McCarthy isn't continuing to typecast herself as a fat girl. Classic Chris Farley syndrome going on here. She needs to follow John Candy's lead and stop going with the fat humor/roles already.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!