"Live" from OKW.

WebmasterDoc

Administrator
Administrator
We arrived at OKW this afternoon at 3:40. Our room was not yet ready (they said the carpet was being cleaned) and we were offered another room. They showed us where our assigned room would be and we gladly accepted it without looking at others. (we are in building 23 , 2nd floor 1BR villa.) We were told to check again at 4pm.

We walked over to building 23 and then back to HH at 4:00pm to ask for our room number and were again told it was not yet ready, but the helpful CM went "in the back" to see what the hold-up might be. He came back a few moments later saying it was ready.

The room was ready and in great shape. Housekeeping had left a wet paper towel on the floor (apparently where the carpet had been cleaned), but otherwise everything was spotless. We did notice that the entryway closet door was loose and would not open/close properly. While we were unpacking, someone from maintenance arrived to repair the closet door (we had not yet called that in- he stated that housekeeping had reported it). He spent about 30 minutes repairing the door and all was well.

We had dinner at Olivia's (I had the Mahi-Mahi and DW enjoyed the Grouper). Both were new to the menu- at least in their presentation.

After dinner we caught the bus to Epcot for a walk around WS and made it in time for the Flower Power concert with "Paul Revere and the Raiders". The lead singer is Darren Medley - son of Bill Medley of the "Righteous Brothers". "PRatR" and Bill Medley now have a theater at Branson, MO and offer regular concerts. As always, Paul Revere (now 69 years old) puts on a great show and can select from a huge repertoire of hits from the 60's (their first #1 hit was in 1960). Paul/Raiders will be here 2 more nights and then "The Association" will be on stage for 3 nights. If you've never been to these concerts, they are a lot of fun. Over the years we've gotten to hear Peter Noone (Herman's Hermits), Paul Revere, The Turtles (great shows), Eric Burden (of the Animals), Ron Dante (lead singer from the Archies - who also did the original vocals for The Monkees) and several others. Davy Jones (Monkees) will be performing in the next few weeks as well as The Turtles.

As always, the Flower and Garden show has a lot of great displays and programs to enjoy and the topiaries are wonderful.

Crowds were much larger than we've found in the past at this same time - even for a weekend. MK closed at 7pm last night and tonite- I think for the Grad Night program.

From our balcony we have a great view of the Illuminations fireworks (only the air displays- not of the water).

All is well! :)

Oh, do you make me homesick, Doc! Last year at this time I was at OKW and I do so wish I were there now. Enjoy!

what building at OKW can you see the fireworks?

Sounds like your visit is off to a great start!

You make me so homesick! Last Sunday I was checking in. It went by too fast. I know you can see the fireworks from the bridge near the HH on Penninsular Road and someone said, I think, building 17 and 18. Have a Sultry Seahorse for me!
I just remembered-Deb Wills' site says Turtle Shack is closed for food, but DH got a sandwich there last Wednesday. Do you know if it's open or closed now?

Doc,
Thanks for checking in......will be at OKW this Aug :cool1:
Dh had the Mahi-mahi for lunch at Olivia's last year and thought it was terrific. It's one of his fav dishes.
#23 looks like a great building....we had #62 a couple years ago and could see and hear Illuminations as well. Enjoy your stay and the Flower & Garden show as well :flower1: :daisy: :hippie:

pickles said:
what building at OKW can you see the fireworks?

We were in room 1820 and we could see the high fireworks and hear the music also. Hope this helps.

Doc, thanks for the live trip report. Though it does make me feel our six month wait still so far way ;)

Have a great time!

Deb

Thanks for the report - glad all is well. We too were able to see the fireworks from our balcony (bldg 38).

One question: you said "your room" wasn't ready but they offered you another - I assume this means that you were 'pre-assigned' a room?

Be well!

I SO want to go during F&G some year! Thanks for the report. As for the high fireworks views, we have had them from quite a few places around OKW. If I remember correctly, they were buildings 29, 14, 13, 16, 53 and maybe from 64, but I'm not sure I'm rememering that one correctly.

DrTomorrow said:
Thanks for the report - glad all is well. We too were able to see the fireworks from our balcony (bldg 38).

One question: you said "your room" wasn't ready but they offered you another - I assume this means that you were 'pre-assigned' a room?

Be well!

I checked into a studio at OKW on Thursday 4/27, it seemed that our room was pre-assigned and was ready at around 11:30am.

I remember Paul R and the Raiders from Hershey Park they were regulars up there when I was young. Always a great show even for a ride junkie like me.
Have a Great time .

DrTomorrow said:

Be well!

That was my take on the reservation - that it had been assigned, but they would offer a room that was ready if we'd prefer. If we had arrived at 10am and were given the same option, I probably would have taken a different room, but at 3:40, another 20 minutes was no big deal when our requests had been met. (I asked for NS and upper floor.)

There are quite a number of villas with an Illuminations view - all over the resort. Many can see the fireworks from their balcony or living room, some will need to look out the front door or parking area, but most will have some sense of the event - it's very evident at 9:00pm when the fireworks begin rather "explosively". ;)

It was hot again today - low 90's. There are fire alerts in the area, watering restrictions and I-95 was closed for awhile (near Daytona) due to smoke from nearby grass fires. Crowds were smaller today, as the weekend passes and I expect (hope) they will dwindle even more the rest of our trip. I've had notes from several DISsers and hope to meet with some this week.

No luck at Millionaire this afternoon, but we did make it to hear Paul Revere and the Raiders again. They changed the program a little from yesterday- but used most of the same jokes. :teeth:

I'm planning to get a haircut at the Main Street Barber Shop tomorrow morning and we hope to ride the Kali River rafts later.

All is well!!

Hey Doc

Hope yall have a good trip! Sounds like yall are already having fun.

Jimmy

Geeez Doc this is your second trip report since I have been back home :cloud9: !!! I only have 40 days to go and its killing me :rolleyes1 !!! I am enjoying your reports because I am envisioning my self on your balcony with a drink :drinking1 !!! Well keep it coming, I can't wait for my first stay in OKW :wave2: !!!

Thanks

Thanks, Doc, for the trip report! We will be staying at OKW for the first time in November and (no suprise), I can't wait!

I'm sending pixie dust and best wishes for your trip! pixiedust:

Kathy

Loving reading your reports Doc!

I should have checked in at OKW same day as you, but here I sit in rainy England because my friend and travelling companion for this trip fell and badly damaged her arm 2 weeks ago and had surgery last week.

Meanwhile, I'll make myself another cup of tea and read the Disboards to make up for it :surfweb:

Keep 'em coming - no detail too small to mention ;)

I forgot to mention last night that we visited the Timeshare Store yesterday. It was about a 12 minute drive from OKW and very easy to find. We were given a beautiful gift basket (Thankyou, Tom). For those going soon, Tom has posted an invitation and directions at the top of the Planning board.

Tom is away, but I hope to get to meet him on our way at the end of the week.

I also discovered last night that we could hear (and just barely see) the Wishes fireworks from our room here at OKW. I have not noticed that in the past. The sound was quite obvious (it started right at 10pm), the fireworks were very low due to the distance and the trees pretty well hid them completely.

It will be above 90 again today. Very foggy right now and the brush fires continue. Miles of interstate 95 near Daytona are closed this morning as visibility is at zero in places because of the smoke. It's very dry around here.

More later- we're heading to the MK right now! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!