Live from the Polynesian

alohaguy

Mouseketeer
Aloha,

We just checked in at 2 p.m. today .... saw wishes five minutes ago ... was raining for a while but then cleared-up. The hotel does not seem crowded at all. We actually got the specific room we requested (which is extremely rare). We have noticed nothing different since we were here in August, but I will be on the lookout for changes.

Will write tomorrow ... off to MK in the morning.

Looking forward to the report. The new Wyland Gallery looks cool but I miss the News From Civilization store that has been there as long as I can remember.

What room did you end up in?

Aloha

Steve

Check-in was very smooth yesterday. Short lines at the front desk, and our room was ready at 2 p.m. We are staying in Tokelau (one of our favorite buildings). We switched from Concierge to standard GV, and don't regret the change at all. Just bought a house and we close in January, so we're going to spend the $2000 were saving on our attorney's fees and title insurance, etc.

Anyway, the weather is cloudy but mild ... we're heading to MK now and to lunch at Tony's. I will be on the lookout for any changes to the GCH or any longhouses since August.

Strange thing happened when we entered our room, though ... there were two guys in rain coats spraying the corners of the room with bug spray. Obviously we were shocked to find people in our room when we first entered ... never had that happen before, it was pretty surprising.

Aloha

We are at the Poly for the first time in Feb. Have tried CR, but always wanted this one. I will be hanging on your every word!!

Thanks,

deb ::MinnieMo

Just back from MK ... crowds were up today - weekends are always crowded.

Steve,

We do miss the magazines, etc. that used to be available at News From Polynesia. The new Wyland Gallery is a nice space, and I'm sure they do more business in their new location, but we do miss the old store.

The only change I have noticed since August is that Lipoa no longer entertains at the check-in area. She has switched to O'Hana's five days a week. Apparently all Polynesian entertainers had to 're-audition' for their jobs and some were re-shuffled. She told us that her GM felt she would reach more people working solely at O'Hana's. Anyway, other than that nothing new to report.

No work is being done on either Tokelau or Tahiti. It seems as if the latest report on Tikiman's site (11-21-05) is still accurate in terms of renovations.

Mousekeeping has been good so far, and our room service trays have been removed promptly. There was a strange smell in the room (which I have heard people complain about but never experienced) but it went away after the rain stopped. Must have something to do with moisture.

Ate lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern today .. very crowded, but food was good. Off to Epcot this evening.

Will write more tomorrow.

Aloha

There was a strange smell in the room
Maybe it had something to do with the guys in suits spraying stuff in your room. (?) Did they say it was bug stuff, or could it have been something else? (like for mold, or to cover up another smell...) I have to say I would be very wary of staying in a room if I had come upon the scene that you did when you entered. Of course, since it was the exact room you wanted, it would be harder to "give that up" for another.

alohaguy said:
We do miss the magazines, etc. that used to be available at News From Polynesia. The new Wyland Gallery is a nice space, and I'm sure they do more business in their new location, but we do miss the old store.

I can't wait to see the new shops set-up. I remember the GCH they old way, so I'm sure it'll be like going to a completely different place. But, I do have to say, the shop situation was in need of reorganization.

Thanks for live reporting!

Are you in a renovated room? I keep wondering if I should request one or just keep my reservation as is and see what luck brings me...so far, we just listed non-smoking...

How do you like your view? :sunny:

ladyhawke10,

We are not in a renovated room. We actually don't prefer one over the other, because the 'old' rooms are very nice as well. Our view is very nice, especially for a GV room. We have a castle view off to the side of our balcony - which is why we requested this room. We requested a specific room that we have stayed in on past trips and were lucky enough to get it.

Weather is colder today. Lots of people checking out. We are headed to downtown disney in a few minutes. Will be eating at the Rainforest Cafe, then off to MVMCP tonight.

Mousekeeping is still doing a good job, and our room/longhouse is very clean.

I do have to say that I miss being able to buy newspapers in the GCH. Seems like they should change this. Other than that, all the new changes at the GCH are very nice.

Aloha

Enjoying your report, alohaguy when I remember to check over here for it! :rolleyes1

I miss News from Civilization too. You can still buy newspapers but up in the Grog Shop or whatever the current name is. Remember when you could also buy them in CC? I hope with the remodeling, there will be room for that amenity again. It's a bit of a pain to go upstairs just for a paper.

Have fun! :cool1:

bcv23,

You're absolutely right. I just noticed last night that newspapers and magazines are available in Samoa Snacks. Wish I'd seen that a few days ago. Anyway, I don't think that was the case when we were here in August. Not sure. We still miss the convenience of News from Civilization on the first floor.

Mousekeeping seems to have slipped a little yesterday. No new glasses in the room, didn't clean the bathroom counter, etc. Seems inconsistent right now.

We're headed to lunch in France, then on to Soarin' and Test track.

Also, I have to say that we were worried about not staying concierge - not because we are snobbish - but simply because we thought we might be disappointed (we have stayed LVC or GVC on our last seven trips). BUt I have to say that we don't miss anything other than the ability to make last minute ADR's. So all of you that debate wether or not to stay concierge, my opinion is that you will enjoy your trip just as much in standard rooms. Concierge is nice, but certainly not necessary to make for a nice vacation.

Aloha

Today Raratonga went down for renovation. Actually, I can't be sure the entire building is down, but it looks that way. They have boarded up the entrance closest to the GCH and I saw workers removing the tile from the balconies on the 3rd floor.

I'll be on the lookout for any other longhouses that may be begining their renovations - we are here until the 17th.

Aloha

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter