Live TR - 8/18-8/23

On the weekends it’s virtual line only within 20 minutes of park opening. At least that’s how it was this weekend.

And that clock starts when they actually open the park, which seems to be before the posted opening time.

Dr Doom’s Free Fall should be called Dr Doom’s Quick Ascent. There’s really no fall at all. I expected something like Tower of Terror. Nope. Unless you are really bored or just looking to do every ride, you can skip it. You won’t be missing anything.
It's called Fearfall, which makes it sound like it's a drop ride. It's not. You called it "Free Fall" and that's exactly what it is - you shoot up quickly and go into free fall for a short time when you reach the top. We were disappointed the first time we rode it but then we figured out that the ascent and free fall is the point, not the drop, and we enjoy it now.

Also, while you don't get a lot of time at the top of the Dr. Doom ride, I really enjoy the park view from that high up. So I usually try to hit the ride a few times for the high-up park views.

And if you want a ride, maybe not quite as good a view but a longer view, take the Seuss Trolly Train Ride. When it goes out toward the water, you can get a nice view of the work going on over in the other parts of the park.

It's called Fearfall, which makes it sound like it's a drop ride. It's not. You called it "Free Fall" and that's exactly what it is - you shoot up quickly and go into free fall for a short time when you reach the top. We were disappointed the first time we rode it but then we figured out that the ascent and free fall is the point, not the drop, and we enjoy it now.
Thanks for the correction; I obviously never bothered to read the name and misheard. "Short" is the operative word in your description, though - I've experienced longer free-falls jumping off a curb onto the street.

JW

Also, while you don't get a lot of time at the top of the Dr. Doom ride, I really enjoy the park view from that high up. So I usually try to hit the ride a few times for the high-up park views.

And if you want a ride, maybe not quite as good a view but a longer view, take the Seuss Trolly Train Ride. When it goes out toward the water, you can get a nice view of the work going on over in the other parts of the park.
I totally agree the view is good.

Do you go into free fall? I remember it being 2-3 seconds of g-force, 1 second of 0g's, then a controlled descent. As a ride, it's just okay. I'm not sure there's a shorter ride experience at either Universal or Disney, though. I do love the ascent, I just wish it bounced you up and down a few times.

It's a big disappointment when compared to the Tower of Terror ride profile. But it does provide great views, so I usually do it once per trip.

What a wonderful trip report. My DH and I will be doing our first Universal trip the first week of December and you've given me some great restaurant suggestions.

Do you go into free fall? I remember it being 2-3 seconds of g-force, 1 second of 0g's, then a controlled descent. As a ride, it's just okay. I'm not sure there's a shorter ride experience at either Universal or Disney, though. I do love the ascent, I just wish it bounced you up and down a few times.

It's a big disappointment when compared to the Tower of Terror ride profile. But it does provide great views, so I usually do it once per trip.
I think you are remembering correctly. I was expecting drops like ToT.

What a wonderful trip report. My DH and I will be doing our first Universal trip the first week of December and you've given me some great restaurant suggestions.
If you like jerk seasoning, get the chips and salsa at Bob Marley’s. The chips are plantain crisps. They make the salsa in-house, and it’s honestly the best I’ve ever had. They make it with jerk seasoning and it’s fantastic. They could bottle and sell it and I’d have a standing order.

Hello -

I’ve never posted before, but have learned a lot from these forums so I thought I’d share brief observations from our ongoing trip.

My son (17) and I arrived at the Hard Rock Hotel last night around 7:30. The hotel feels almost empty. There were a few folks at the pool and a couple parties walking around, but that’s it. Masks on everyone. The room was clean and in order. No daily cleaning service.

We walked to Citywalk and ate at Margaritaville. No crowds anywhere; pretty much 100% mask compliance. Short line at Voodoo Donut. At 8:15 there was a 30 min wait for a table at Toothsome, just for reference.

I am now having breakfast at The Kitchen and there is only one other party in the restaurant. No one has entered in the last 45 min. Food is good, but a little overpriced.

My son is doing some online school in the room (WiFi is good), and we will hit the parks soon.

I will provide an update on the parks after today’s activities.
I'm more that a little bit jealous of you. Happy to be along for the TR ride. :chat:

Thanks! I'm headed down in 3 days for a first time trip - you've inspired me to do a live TR if I can :-) Thanks for all the great information!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!