Livermore, CA

lovemy3girls

DIS Veteran
Hi all! We will be staying in Livermore for a family wedding on July. We have booked the Residence Inn there for our family of 5. The Monday and Tuesday after the wedding we are going to sightsee the area (we are from NJ). It is much cheaper for us to stay at the hotel in Livermore than to switch to one in the city of San Fran. How difficult is the public transportation from Livermore to the city, is it worth it or should we just suck it up and stay in the city? Also, Should we spend both days exploring San Fran or are there other things to do that are not to be missed in the Livermore/Oakland area? We have never been to CA and don't know when we will be back, so we want to see as much as possible. Before the wedding we will be doing Disneyland and driving up to the San Fran area via Rt. 1, stopping once probably in Monterey. So we are working on planning those last 2 days in CA, any ideas on what to see and do? Thank you so much!

In addition to Monterrey, there are lots of great things to see along the 1, like Santa Barbara, San Simeon, Big Sur, and the Santa Cruz Beach Boradwalk for the nostalgia (and for the kids).

But getting to the city from Livermore might be tricky without a car. Maybe you could drive to Pleasonton or Walnut Creek and take BART from there?

Sorry that I'm not much halp, but I hope you have a great trip!

Thanks for the reply, and for the ideas. I didn't realize there is a boardwalk, I will have to check that out! As for our time in Livermore, we will have a rental car. I just wasn't sure what would be easier, driving to the nearest BART station and taking that in or driving the rental car in and paying to park it. What do you recommend? I see you are from the Bay area- any suggestions on what not to miss while we are there? Thanks!

If you only have 2 days, you don't want to spend all your time commuting. Livermore isn't exactly close to San Francisco and Monday and Tuesday are work days, so I'd recommend getting a hotel in the city and staying there. I live about 1/2 hour from Livermore in the East Bay and I think you'll have a better experience if you just stay in the city.

If you don't want to/can't do that, then I'd find accommodations closer to a BART station.

I'd agree - find a hotel close to a BART station. Livermore is a bit of a commute, even if you drive to a BART station and then head into the city, especially on work days. Driving and parking in SF can be miserable (and expensive), and I think it's much more relaxing to use BART and then walk around the city.

If you get a chance, I'd recommend visiting Muir Woods (a little north of SF) to see some of the big trees. And if you're planning on visiting Alcatraz, I recommend getting your tickets early - they do sometimes sell out. The night tour is pretty fun if your family is into that.

IMHO I think if you are staying in Livermore and have a rental car staying in the city is just going to be a hassle. Especially if in the evenings you will be seeing family in Livermore.

I am 20 minutes west of Livermore. And like OP said you will be with commuter traffic but the 5 -10 minute drive to the Plesanton/Dublin BART station is nothing. Wait until after 9 or 10 am and take the train over to Embarcadero station. You can easily take the trolley over to Fishermans wharf. Then take the famous SF trolley car over the hill, see Lombard Street, China town and end up at Union Square for some shopping. Cross the street and back to Embarcadero Station hop the train back to Dublin.:thumbsup2 Parking in SF would be a nightmare IMHO. And the price of a hotel I personally don't think would be worth it as you will most likely have to also pay extra to park a car.

I think if you avoid the early morning commuter and "off work" time trains in the early evening and you should be golden.

If you are driving up the coast from Disneyland, Monterey is a great spot to stop. The aquarium there is fabulous.

In So Cal the Newport Beach area and Balboa Boardwalk are also great if you have the time and a rental car on that end as well.

Up on this end of the state - SF will be fun. If you had more time I would say Lake Tahoe - its beautiful. But its a good 4-5 hours from Livermore and would not be a fun day trip. Maybe Giant Sequoias or Yosemite but again long day trips unless perhaps you can get there visit and spend the 2nd night on your way back down to LA area if that is where you fly home from??

Whatever you decide I hope you have a great trip!!

Well, one to be sure to check out while you're here is Where The Magic Begins. It's a Disney gifts and collectibles store on Las Positas Ct just off of North Livermore Avenue.

Cindy Russell (the owner of WTMB) has a passion for all things Disney. But chief among that is Disney Big Figures and Disney Cross-Stitch. She has a lot of both in her personal collection. While the store is usually open Wednesday through Sunday, she is also open by appointment on Monday and Tuesdays.

You can find more by visiting the store's web site at wherethemagicbegins.com Drop her a note or call the store and she'll be glad to have you visit.

If you're looking to take in the sights in San Francisco, BART is an option. However, you probably won't find parking at the Dublin Pleasanton station. With gas prices being what they are, most spaces at that station fill up by 7:30 am. I've spent some unhappy times searching for a space for more than an hour in the mid-day. Better idea would be to see if your hotel has a shuttle bus or van that could drop you off and pick you up later.

Check out 511.org for all of the road and transit information for the Bay Area

If you're up for a bit of adventure, drive from Livermore into Oakland and take the ferry from Jack London Square to San Francisco. A great ride across the bay and you're dropped off at the Ferry Building, with a wonderful group of markets. My favorite is the Cowgirl Creamery for some truly wonderful cheeses.

If this is your first trip to the Bay Area, by all means, enjoy the day in San Francisco. Your best bet is an All Day passport for $11 from the MUNI (the San Francisco Municipal Railway) as it is good on all buses, streetcars and cable cars, too. With Cable Cars being $5 a ride, one-way, this is a real deal.

Now if you were to travel from the Ferry Building, and are in the mood for a walk, enjoy the day along the Embarcadero and walk from there north to Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf. Lots to see and do along the way. Also well worth a stop is Ghirardelli Square. Ice Cream and chocolate here. If no kids, then stop in at the famed Buena Vista Cafe for an Irish Coffee, as this is the mother ship for that particular conconction. From there you can take a cable car back to downtown and then catch a streetcar back to the Ferry Building. But expect a bit of a wait at the cable car turnaround. Lots of people share your idea here.

As for Livermore, you can easily spend a summer day tasting at the wineries here. Some great places for lunch and dinner, too. Some pricey and some not. Livermore also has a nice downtown with plenty of good little places for a nice meal. Bruno's on First Street has wonderful Italian food.

And if you're a real theme park fan and have to do them all, you could take the ACE train from Livermore to Great America in Santa Clara and spend part of a day there. You just have to blend in with some of the Silicon Valley commuters.

Feel free to PM me for more thoughts. I spent some time earlier this year doing the tourist bit for a friend who had never been here either. She had a great time and is all set to come back to the Bay Area.

FYI.
I live in Livermore and commute to SF for work.

Livermore to Bart Station at approx 8:30 AM: approx 15-20 minutes
This is in traffic. On Fridays with less traffic, its a good 10-15 minutes.

Dublin/Pleasanton Bart -> Embarcadero Station (1st SF station): 50 minutes

From here you have various access to Trolleys, buses, taxi etc.

The Embarcadero (water front) is approx 10 minute walk from here and is very beautiful. There's great places to eat. You will see the Bay Bridge from here. On a sunny day, it's a wonderful place to eat outside. There's arts and crafts vendors. The trolley will take you past Fisherman's Wharf for $2-3 bucks per person i believe. Can't remember. Sorry.

Parking at Bart is $1. If you plan to go in the morning, I would suggest around 10 AM. Anything earlier, there wouldn't be any parking until the "reserve" parking becomes available after 10 AM. Be on the Dublin side, they have more spaces. You're fighting the morning commuters for spaces.

Roundtrip ticket to Embarcadero: $11 (10 something actually, but I can't remember the exact price). Each person needs their own ticket.

Bark is open until 12:30 AM. (last train, please check though). So you can stay pretty late in the city if you want and still catch the train.

2 stops from Embarcdero. You can walk also from here. It's approx 15 minutes. Good walk. The SF Centre. It's a towering shopping mall. The bottom flowers has a huge hodge podge of restaruants. The surrounding area has shops also. Also across the street is the start of the SF Cable Car for the Powell street line. Pick up a few maps from Bart. Union Park and more shopping and stuff is in the whole area.

Sorry for the rambling typing...

How old are your kids?
We love to stay in Dublin and take BART into the city. We have done it several times.

If you decide to drive into the city, the Zoo is fun for an afternoon. With a car you could then drive over the bridge and park on the other side for fabulous views of the city. You can also then walk out onto the bridge. The Exploratorim is a wonderful hands on "museum" for kids and adults alike. The Exploratorium, Zoo and Bridge are on the westerly side of the city and IMO easier to get to and park at.

Fishermans wharf with the street performers, shop, aquarium and food is a great way to spend a day. The Alcatraz tour is very interesting, I highly recommend the night tour and if you decide on that make sure to buy your tickets in advance.

San Jose has a wonderful childrens museum as well as a Technology and world class Egyptian Museum.

Santa Clara has Great America amusement park and Vallejo (N. Bay) has Discovery something (a 6 flags park - frmly Marine World)

Wow, thanks for all of the wonderful information! We are leaning towards just staying in our hotel in Livermore; it would just be easier for us with the 3 kids, and it's a Residence Inn so full kitchen which we will stock with snacks and things. Plus with the parking situation downtown we would rather drive to a BART station and take that in, or we are also looking into the ferry that will take us in to the city, that would be fun, too. We are thinking of doing one day in the city and one day doing something else, with Muir Woods being at the top of our list. We are thinking no theme parks because we are doing Disney earlier in the trip. Is Muir Woods worth our time? Or should we just do 2 days in the city? FYI our daughters are 6, 8, and 10. Again, thanks for the info, especially about getting around the city- this is all new to us and quite overwhelming. We appreciate any info we can get. Thanks.

Muir Woods is a fine place. But that being said, a lot of tourists take this in. Especially by the bus load. From Livermore, you would be driving through some of the most interesting commutes to get there and back.

As an alternative, I would suggest visiting Felton and Santa Cruz instead. Felton is home to the Roaring Camp and Big Trees Railroad. It takes guests from the small recreated town of Roaring Camp up the Bear Mountain to the redwoods or Big Trees if you will. They also offer a train ride from Felton down to the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. The Boardwalk is a great way to see what the Paradise Pier area of Disney's California Adventure was, or should have been, based on. A ride on the Big Dipper is a must do for all coaster fans.

Roaring Camp is also located right next to the Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park.

www.roaringcamp.com

www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=546

www.beachboardwalk.com

Muir Woods is a fine place. But that being said, a lot of tourists take this in. Especially by the bus load. From Livermore, you would be driving through some of the most interesting commutes to get there and back.

As an alternative, I would suggest visiting Felton and Santa Cruz instead. Felton is home to the Roaring Camp and Big Trees Railroad. It takes guests from the small recreated town of Roaring Camp up the Bear Mountain to the redwoods or Big Trees if you will. They also offer a train ride from Felton down to the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. The Boardwalk is a great way to see what the Paradise Pier area of Disney's California Adventure was, or should have been, based on. A ride on the Big Dipper is a must do for all coaster fans.

Roaring Camp is also located right next to the Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park.

www.roaringcamp.com

www.beachboardwalk.com

I agree with this, especially based on the ages of your kids. Muir Woods is beautiful, but Roaring Camp/Henry Cowell/Santa Cruz will have more to do and more to interest the kids.

www.roaringcamp.com

www.beachboardwalk.com

I totally agree with all of this. We went to Muir woods for the first time a couple of months ago, and it was nice, but it took us forever to get ther from San Jose, and I don't know that we spent 2 hours there. Roaring Camp is fun, and you can see the redwoods at the same time. I'd purchase train tickets in advance. I know you said no theme parks, but the Boardwalk in Santa Cruz might be a nice diversion for a couple of hours, since you would already be in the area. You just buy the tickets for the rides you want to go on, so you're not stuck spending the whole day on rides if you don't want to.
I also hate driving and parking in the city :scared1: , so I'd say BART is your best bet.

Gotta agree about Roaring Camp and the train instead of Muir Woods. I always recommend Muir woods for tourists staying in the City, but from Livermore on a weekday - not so much!

Getting to the Dublin BART station at 9:45 - 10 am, you should be able to get one of the "mid-day" parking spots. If you get there before 10 am, just park & stay in your car 'til 10! Not sure if anyone gave the website for BART, so here it is

www.bart.org

I hope you enjoy your visit to Northern California.

(Weather note: Livermore can be very hot in the summer, but remember to take jackets or sweatshirts when going into SF - they sell more sweatshirts to tourists in the summer at Pier 39 then any other time!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter