Living near Disney

Magical Mama

Mouseketeer
I’m looking for recommendations or experiences from anyone on here that may live local to Disney? Anyone live in some of the associations that are typically known for their vacation rentals? DH thinks it might be fun like a permanent vacation. Any specific areas that are good for families? Thanks!

What is good for vacation isn't necessarily good for residence. Being in a development that allows rentals means not having neighbors you get to know, not having neighbor kids for yours to play with, having to think about the constant stream of strangers and traffic in/out when deciding how much independence to allow as your kids grow, etc. I can understand the appeal of the amenities a lot of those associations offer, but I wouldn't be interested in living in a place with such a transient group of "neighbors".

It seems almost all neighborhoods are zoned for short term leases. And several new communities under construction are being sold as a mix of Vacation rentals and single family homes.

I live pretty close to Disney (can hear the fireworks at night). I wouldn’t live in a vacation rental community. Orange County, where I live, does not allow short term leases. As for families, look at Dr. Phillips, Windermere and parts of Winter Garden.

That being said, living in Orlando is not a permanent vacation. Please don’t move here expecting that.. I think a lot of people end up disappointed.

We live in a condo complex in Windermere. Orange County so no short term rentals. My husband works full time but it’s like we live the vacation life. I know people say it’s not like that but we live it that way. That said we don’t have young kids. The complex has everything...pool, clubhouse, etc and we are super close to MK with other parks just a little further. Plus on this side we don’t have all the tourist traffic. Love it

DD lived in one for 6 months when she first moved down there. It was a nice gated townhome complex near old town or what ever they call it. She had to go through a sketchy area to get to her complex. They did weekly as well as longer term rentals.

The apt she lives in now only does longer term. She's off I Drive near Little Lake Bryan. She loves being down there but it's not a vacation all the time when you work full time.

Thank you for your responses. I think people get hung up on the permanent vacation comments. We currently live near the beach in FL already. Moved here from up north nine years ago. Our goal to move here was to be able to enjoy life every day as some only experience on vacation. It seems more and more we are traveling to Orlando for various events, so the conversations have come up about moving closer and offering more opportunity for our children. Which is how we began looking at some of the various neighborhoods around Disney and there amenities. I’m sure there are some people who reside there permanently and I was just curious to their experiences with it.

Thank you for your responses. I think people get hung up on the permanent vacation comments. We currently live near the beach in FL already. Moved here from up north nine years ago. Our goal to move here was to be able to enjoy life every day as some only experience on vacation. It seems more and more we are traveling to Orlando for various events, so the conversations have come up about moving closer and offering more opportunity for our children. Which is how we began looking at some of the various neighborhoods around Disney and there amenities. I’m sure there are some people who reside there permanently and I was just curious to their experiences with it.

I know I jumped on that; I guess because so many people from up north move here expecting a permanent vacation and then end up unhappy it worries me when I see someone actually say that’s what they’re looking for. If you do think Orlando is a good fit for your family, then by all means look into it. I love it here and do appreciate being near all of the tourist stuff. For living, I’d recommend looking at the entire metro area, not just close to Disney as there are many desirable parts around town. If you have any other questions I can try and help.

I have lived in Central Florida for 14 years. I am five minutes from Disney property. Orange county does not allow short term rentals. Recently, Orange county passed an ordinance allowing short term rental in the city of Orlando, but only if the owners of the property are in residence as well. Short term rental is still not allowed in Orange county outside of Orlando city limits. I live in Windermere. No short term rental. I would never live in an area that allows it.

Living near Disney is not like being on vacation. Unless you are independently wealthy, most people have to work. You still have day to day responsibilities. No matter how you feel now, you will not spend every day in the parks!

I personally would move to somewhere like Cape Coral - only a 3 hour drive and you can take long weekends to stay on property. They have beautiful short term rentals there.

What is good for vacation isn't necessarily good for residence. Being in a development that allows rentals means not having neighbors you get to know, not having neighbor kids for yours to play with, having to think about the constant stream of strangers and traffic in/out when deciding how much independence to allow as your kids grow, etc. I can understand the appeal of the amenities a lot of those associations offer, but I wouldn't be interested in living in a place with such a transient group of "neighbors".

All of this, and I would also add that with rental units, the renters are not as invested or concerned with the upkeep of the property. Especially if they are only there for a week on vacation. Your neighbors would be there most of the time, so no quiet daytime hours like you see in many neighborhoods when most people are at work. It also adds to the traffic. I live within 5 miles of a major tourist destination and the amount of traffic coupled with empty store shelves (lots of people shop here) make for frustrating weekends sometimes.

While I appreciate all of you taking the time to share your opinions, they aren’t necessarily what I asked for. Simply looking for experience and recommendations of people who live near the Mouse.

Let’s clear up some previously mentioned concerns: Currently live near a tourist area, already commute an hour into Central Florida for work, didn’t say I was moving only for the Parks so I don’t intend on going daily, work schedule is flexible so I’m aware not everyday is a day off, I’m fully aware if what my responsibilities are as far as not a permanent vacation, AP holders for many years, not at all naive to it all.

Did that answer all of the concerns? Not trying to be rude but lots of judge mental responses here and not so many responses to the initial thread questions.

Sorry if my post cane off as judgemental. You mentioned that your husband said it might be like a permanent vacation. I've seen so many move to the area only to be disappointed because living here is not like vacationing here.

I can't give you info on areas with short term rentals other than Clermont. They are allowed in Lake county. Clermont is a nice place to shop. No idea how it is to live there, but it is growing rapidly, so people must like it.

I would check out Orange County California. Jobs pay way more than Florida and the schools and university system is much better.

My husband and I are retired and decided last year to relocate to the Orlando area, grandkids mostly grown and we wanted to be more active. We had explored the area during Disney vacations and decided we wanted to be north of Disney in Windermere. Because we’re Orange County there again aren’t short-term rentals but there are a lot of choices here, single family, townhomes, and condo. Check HOA dues as the amounts vary depending on what is included. Winter Garden is also very nice. When we go out we try to go north to avoid tourist areas, less chaotic shopping. And we can get to Disney property in about 10 to 15minutes.

We're thinking about buying something in the area as well. Yes, we live in NE, but dd is a WDW CM, so she would live in the condo, or house, and we would have someplace to stay when down there. She is currently in Clermont, and likes it, but being a bit north of MK would be nice.

Not just Disney but anywhere you love to vacation, I think living close would kill the buzz

Ya know, LowKey, to me, that's probably one of the truest statements on the DIS! Why would you want to live right next door to where you vacation? To me.......part of the vacation is GOING to that place. Again, just my preference. :)

We must be in the minority. We specifically chose to move to Orlando to be close to WDW and the endless entertainment, shopping and restaurant choices. We’ve lived here for almost 4 years. We currently live in Windermere (we can see Magic Kingdom fireworks from our front porch every night), but we are building a home in Horizon West (Winter Garden). My property line literally abuts to Disney’s property line and we can not only see the MK fireworks from our new lanai every night, we can hear the accompanying music, & all of the bells, whistles and distant screams from those riding Big Thunder. It’s the best thing ever, in our opinion! We don’t need to vacation at WDW, but we still stay on property occasionally. We pop over for a meal, catch a concert at Epcot, do a few Fastpasses or none at all and go home. Yes, we still have our lives to live, but that life includes Disney. Now we take Disney cruises with our fabulous FL resident rates. The Magic has only been enhanced!!
As for schools, ours are in Orange County (so no vacation homes) and the schools in my area are top rated. Last month, my 3rd grade son had a field trip to Epcot, last year it was Animal Kingdom, among other great trips to see musicals at the Dr. Phillips Center and such. We are very happy with our purposeful decision to settle near WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter