Living the DLuxe Life-Sep 2019 (Universal & WDW DTR)-Completed 12/27

Got all caught up. We also like Jake's American bar. The food is good and the prices are reasonable. I really like their nachos.

I have tried Tiffin's but never the Nomad lounge. The drink you had looks amazing! I love anything with passionfruit and mango. I need to go there next trip.

So sorry your filet was tough in Canada. I am not a fan of the sauce on it, but we have always had steak tender enough to cut with a fork. I can't believe it is just luck of the draw. Dianey should be better than that.

Sorry to hear food and wine was a bit of a miss, though I must say I'm looking forward to your vlog and seeing the non-cheese cheese reaction. We haven't been able to go to F&W in 2 years but hopefully we'll remedy that next year.

Three Bridges looks great and totally our kind of place.

Got all caught up. We also like Jake's American bar. The food is good and the prices are reasonable. I really like their nachos.

Ooo I haven’t tried the nachos. But @SnowWhiteOz tells me they took the fries off which were my favorite.

I have tried Tiffin's but never the Nomad lounge. The drink you had looks amazing! I love anything with passionfruit and mango. I need to go there next trip.

Nomad’s has a really good menu!

So sorry your filet was tough in Canada. I am not a fan of the sauce on it, but we have always had steak tender enough to cut with a fork. I can't believe it is just luck of the draw. Dianey should be better than that.

We’ve gotten it every year since we started going to Food & Wine, and got really tender cuts too. But the last 2 years we’ve gotten ones that weren’t so great, this year’s was by far the worst. And when they were serving them to people I saw some better looking ones going out so it really was just luck.

Sorry to hear food and wine was a bit of a miss, though I must say I'm looking forward to your vlog and seeing the non-cheese cheese reaction. We haven't been able to go to F&W in 2 years but hopefully we'll remedy that next year.

Three Bridges looks great and totally our kind of place.

I love Food & Wine, but there’s always some disappointments. We’ll probably go back next year, and hopefully have more time to try things. I find that part of the vlog highly amusing :rotfl: I’ll put it up tonight on my TR.

I hope you get to go next year!

I would definitely recommend Three Bridges. We’ll probably stay at Gran Destino again next year, and there’s several things on the menu I want to try.

I'm sorry that your Food and Wine night wasn't the best. I don't know why Disney has to mess around with items that so many people love. At least Three Bridges saved the night for you guys!

I'm sorry that your Food and Wine night wasn't the best. I don't know why Disney has to mess around with items that so many people love. At least Three Bridges saved the night for you guys!

Yeah, I love when they change things around and add new booths, but I hate when they change good items and take out flavors. Three Bridges definitely saved the night food-wise!

So we only had about an hour to try as many snacks as we could.
That reminds me of the time I arrived at 4pm on the last day of Flower and Garden and proceeded to have 10 snacks before the night was over :rotfl: At least you two shared... I did not :laughing:

We attempted to be artsy with the poutine:

pEZDXLOl.jpg
Nice to know you had an table alternative to the standard trash can solution :rotfl2:

Loved the artsy photos ;) Loved the vlog :thumbsup2 And you're right - your reactions to the "KFC biscuit" was priceless :laughing:

That reminds me of the time I arrived at 4pm on the last day of Flower and Garden and proceeded to have 10 snacks before the night was over :rotfl: At least you two shared... I did not :laughing:

I'm so proud of you, you definitely beat our record :rotfl:

Nice to know you had an table alternative to the standard trash can solution :rotfl2:

I think we ended up eating it on a bench, but I always enjoy a good trash can table :rotfl:

Loved the artsy photos ;) Loved the vlog :thumbsup2 And you're right - your reactions to the "KFC biscuit" was priceless :laughing:

Thank you! It was quite a moment :laughing:

Disney should just let DisBoarders run these things! :) There are enough Disney foodies like you on the boards that you all could take over, no problem!

Right? We should organize the menus for all these festivals :thumbsup2

Hollywood Brown Derby/The Milk Stand in Batuu

Originally we were going to go to Food & Wine this day, but it was so hot out I couldn't really picture eating a bunch of food outside. So we made a last minute change, and decided to check out Batuu since crowds were nowhere near as crazy as we'd feared while planning.

So of course we had to go to our favorite Hollywood Studios restaurant, where you can always get a last minute reservation, and the only restaurant I ever order anything even remotely healthy at...The Brown Derby!

I noted that unlike last time our server brought us bread before the food, and we didn't need to ask for it. (If you remember my June TR, our server realllly seemed like he didn't want to give our table bread, and seemed kind of put out when we asked if we could have some).

IMG_1720.jpeg

As always the bread was crispy and hot, and the butter was delicious and salty. I said healthy meal and then proceeded to discuss eating butter, didn't I?

source.gif

Anyway...

To eat we got our favorite thing to get on a hot day (and probably the only "light" meal I ever have at Disney) the:

Famous Cobb Salad
with Finely Chopped Greens, Turkey Breast, Bacon, Egg, Tomatoes, Crumbled Blue Cheese, Avocado, Chives, and Cobb Dressing

IMG_1723.jpeg

This is my favorite salad ever, and I end up at the Brown Derby almost every trip because of it. Unlike the dinner one that was on the appetizer menu, the lunch menu has an entree version which is bigger. (The picture below was the one in June, and while they look similar I think the bowl for the lunch size is a bit wider and deeper).

Done with our delicious salads, we were off to a galaxy far, far away.
(Now I'm not much of a Star Wars fan, I've seen the first 6 movies, but I didn't care for them , and I have to say adding Batuu to the parks doesn't do much for me. But Samantha does love Star Wars, I love Disney Parks, and I'm always up to try the food in another galaxy so off we went. Though I did secure the promise from Samantha that they "wouldn't make me be in a Star Wars").

Of course, I had to try some kind of snack, and Batuu has some very famous "Milks". Anticipating others might be enjoying some of the famous Blue Milk, I decided to mobile order a Blue and Green Milk. (There actually ended up being no line and very low crowds overall). These were on the pricey side for some slushie-esque drinks, but I guess Batuu's money system is different than ours, and almost $20 for these two drinks is reasonable. :scratchin

15577472-B99F-43E0-A306-DA170DCEA417.jpeg

The consistency was great for the weather (though not very milk-ish obviously), and we found a nice shady spot to drink them in. I took the Blue, and Samantha the Green, but we both tried each others. To me the Blue tasted more like candy than I expected (kind of like a sourish candy or Airheads, I noted), it was my favorite of the two, but I probably wouldn't get either again.

The Green tasted like candy too, like maybe sour apple, but I did also get some earthy/plant taste that I'd heard people mention. We both liked the one we picked best, but like I said weren't so in love with either that we'd drink the whole thing. The people standing near us had gotten the alcoholic ones, and they seemed to be really unhappy with their choices claiming it tasted like "nothing".

Here's me staying out of a "Star Wars" with my weird candy "milk":

42EDAB19-5D9B-4756-BDF2-A612903DE40E.jpeg42EDAB19-5D9B-4756-BDF2-A612903DE40E.jpeg

We also had an Oga's reservation for this day, but we ended up canceling it because it was just too hot to wait around. One day I'll have to go back though, because despite not being a big fan, I did think Oga's sounded pretty cool.

Maybe at Oga's...

giphy (6).gif

Although probably not because...

giphy (3).gif

:rotfl:

Overall we had a great lunch at the Brown Derby, and the Cobb Salad remains one of my favorite Disney food items. (I've got to check every so often to make sure, of course :laughing:). The milks in Batuu were interesting to try, but now that we've had them, I don't think I'd bother to get them again. They weren't really my kind of drink, but if I had to go with one again, I'd pick the Blue.

Last edited:
I'm so proud of you, you definitely beat our record :rotfl:
I do what I can :thumbsup2 :laughing:

I think we ended up eating it on a bench, but I always enjoy a good trash can table :rotfl:
Right?! I mean, it's as classy as it gets :snooty:

I said healthy meal and then proceeded to discuss eating butter, didn't I?
:rotfl2:And you're again speaking my language :laughing:

but I guess Batuu's money system is different than ours, and almost $20 for these two drinks is reasonable. :scratchin
:laughing: I had the same reaction to the milk as you did - it was fine, but I'm not going out of my way for another. I was really disappointed though because I have always had this very specific vision of what I imagined blue milk to be like and this was SO not it :sad2: I know you don't really like Star Wars so this last bit may not make sense nor be interesting, but I just can't picture Aunt Beru serving up smoothies to Luke, it just doesn't make sense to me! :headache::laughing: #getittogetherdisney

Right?! I mean, it's as classy as it gets :snooty:

They did seem to have more table space this year, I wondered if they'd seen all the jokes people make about having to eat on trash cans :rotfl:

:laughing: I had the same reaction to the milk as you did - it was fine, but I'm not going out of my way for another. I was really disappointed though because I have always had this very specific vision of what I imagined blue milk to be like and this was SO not it :sad2: I know you don't really like Star Wars so this last bit may not make sense nor be interesting, but I just can't picture Aunt Beru serving up smoothies to Luke, it just doesn't make sense to me! :headache::laughing: #getittogetherdisney

I don't think it was quite like what anyone thought. When they said what it was made with I pictured a different flavor. I guess the texture works for a hot day in a theme park, but outside of that I don't feel like people consume that many slushie/smoothie type drinks (at least I don't) so though I don't know too much about the movies it seems weird to me that a major drink in their universe would be that.

Your reaction to the cheese was everything I'd hoped it would be. Though as someone who oddly likes undercooked breads dare I say now I want to try it :P

Your reaction to the cheese was everything I'd hoped it would be. Though as someone who oddly likes undercooked breads dare I say now I want to try it :P

I'm glad it didn't disappoint. :laughing: Although I would say it wasn't just dry but doughy/chewy too.

MNSSHP Snacks

This year our goal for MNSSHP was to sample as many snacks as we could.

In past years, I hadn't really tried anything, but I had my snack eating buddy @xlsm with me, and we hadn't eaten any dinner. :rotfl:

The first dessert we looked for was the Amuck, Amuck, Amuck Cupcake, but it was so big we decided to skip it for now.

(It's the one on the left. It looks like a regular sized cupcake, but I can promise you it was like 3x the size it looks).

Instead we went to get one of the more popular desserts before a line formed:

Constance’s for Better or For Worse Wedding Cake
Citrus-scented with raspberry Bavarian cream, a white chocolate glaze, icing pearls and flowers, and a chocolate ax.

IMG_1813.jpeg

Because of how this looks (and it was just as pretty as pictures promised), and the fact that it's Haunted Mansion themed, this seemed to be one of the most popular desserts, and I'd heard on other nights the lines got really long. Luckily, I only waited about 10 mins, and I can confirm flavor is another reason this was so popular. They packed so much flavor into this mini cake that I only wish all of Disney's party snacks were this good. The cake was moist, the raspberry cream was good, and it even had that almond wedding cake taste (according to Samantha who I trust to know these things because she's married :rotfl:).

This was definitely our favorite treat from the party.

We had also split up while I was buying that one, Samantha got the:

Headless Horseman Cheesecake
Pumpkin cheesecake layered with gluten-friendly chocolate cake, chocolate crunchies, orange glaze, and a Headless Horseman chocolate piece.

IMG_1814.jpeg

This was very pumpkin-y in the best possible way, like a pumpkin pie. My side was scarce on chocolate crunchies, but then Samantha turned it around and I got some. The pumpkin overpowered the cake at first, but by the end it was a little milder. I can't say we tasted any orange though, which is probably a good thing, as I'm not a fan of orange mixed with chocolate. We also thought this one was pretty good.

Needing a little something salty while Samantha digested our first two desserts, I picked these up at Peco Bill's:

Beef Nachos
Tortilla Chips topped with Queso and Seasoned Ground Beef

IMG_1822.jpeg

These hit the spot, and I couldn't resist getting this dessert either:

Billy’s Worms & Dirt
Risen from the grave just for the occasion, William ‘Billy’ Butcherson comes to life in this sweet treat featuring chocolate pudding topped with gluten-friendly cake crumbs, gummy worms, and a white chocolate decoration featuring the zombie, himself.

IMG_1824.jpeg

Despite the fact that Josh wasn't with me, and he isn't a big dessert guy I did like that they had more gluten free options, and honestly I didn't think you could taste any difference between GF cookie crumbs and non GF ones on a dessert like this. Sometimes a Dirt & Worms dessert hits the spot. It's a childhood favorite, and chocolate pudding always works. Simple but effective. I also like the inclusion of Billy from Hocus Pocus, and think the chocolate accents on things were adorable and tasty.

Finally our last snack was something we grabbed on Main Street while waiting for the parade.

Chocolate Cake Pops:

IMG_1998.jpeg

Both were chocolate, despite the different outsides, which is something we didn't realize while buying them. (Samantha thought hers was a different cake flavor). Samantha isn't the biggest fan of chocolate cake in cake pops, but didn't mind this one. Mine was very good too.
Overall we tried a lot of delicious snacks at MNSSHP this year. I was happy to finally get to indulge in all the delicious snacks we'd read about, and can recommend any of these if they come back next year. They did have the Hades nachos back again but we stayed far away. :rotfl: (If you remember my terrible vlog
review of them & our June TR review of them from the Villains event you'll know we were not planning on trying those again).

But everything we tried was good, and it seems like Disney really stepped up their party snack game this year. I hope they continue to make small treats with such quality, that also look so nice in the future. As for MNSSHP, I'm undecided on if we'll be back next year or not, but if Josh and I go next year, I'm happy to see there will be many snacks for him to choose from too.

Last edited:
I want to go back to Nomad's Lounge right NOW. For churros. And for that Leaping Lizard drink we had.

The sangria and cheese dip at Three Bridges is making want to return there soon, too.

On the day I left I tried the sports bar-ish place in El Centro (cafe Rix? Maybe?) , and had a burger with chorizo queso on it and it was good too, so maybe I don't dislike chorizo as much as I thought I did???

i'm so glad we shared things, b/c when I'm there with matt and the boys, everyone seems to feel like they need their own separate things and they don't like me to take bites of their stuff.

I want to go back to Nomad's Lounge right NOW. For churros. And for that Leaping Lizard drink we had.

Same!

The sangria and cheese dip at Three Bridges is making want to return there soon, too.

I really want to try the burger there!

On the day I left I tried the sports bar-ish place in El Centro (cafe Rix? Maybe?) , and had a burger with chorizo queso on it and it was good too, so maybe I don't dislike chorizo as much as I thought I did???

Maybe it's because it's mixed into something? I can do small bits of chorizo, but I'm still not sure if I like it either? :rotfl:

i'm so glad we shared things, b/c when I'm there with matt and the boys, everyone seems to feel like they need their own separate things and they don't like me to take bites of their stuff.

Me too! We get to try so much more that way. I like having a food sharing partner :laughing: Josh can't always share food with me, but even when he can he's the same way, or he doesn't want the same thing. And if I just want a bite of something it seems silly to order it just to take a few bites.

We attempted to be artsy with the poutine:

pEZDXLOl.jpg
Ha!

Warm Manchego and Oaxaca Cheese Dip
chorizo, poblano peppers, tortilla chips

opuk1Iyl.jpg

This was so good! I'm not usually a big fan of chorizo, but will eat it chopped up in some things. Some of the pieces were a little bigger, but it all worked together, and was delicious.
We had this and it was really good! If you like Shrimp, the Corn Shrimp Dogs were good as well. Oh and the skirt steak we really liked.

Of course, I had to try some kind of snack, and Batuu has some very famous "Milks". Anticipating others might be enjoying some of the famous Blue Milk, I decided to mobile order a Blue and Green Milk. (There actually ended up being no line and very low crowds overall). These were on the pricey side for some slushie-esque drinks, but I guess Batuu's money system is different than ours, and almost $20 for these two drinks is reasonable. :scratchin
The milk sounds so strange to me...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!