Local Supermarkets vs Commissary

Scrappy_Tink

DIS Veteran
Good morning! DH and I are going to be staying 10 days in a one bedroom at Aulani in May. Since we’ll be staying a while, and will have a full kitchen, I’m thinking we’ll be doing some meals ourselves. Those of you that have military commissary privileges, have you found a significant difference between the commissary and local grocery store prices? Also, if so, is there any particular commissary that you’d recommend above the other regarding size, selection, and location? I’m assuming there’s more than one commissary, since there’s more than one military base/post. Thank you!

Every time we stay at Aulani we always make a stop at Pearl Harbor commissary. Prices at Target, Foodland etc don't compare with prices at any commissary on the island!! We normally pack a collapsible cooler in our luggage and make our way from Honolulu airport to the commissary to load up on groceries. We store the perishable items in the cooler and load it with ice then head out to Aulani. We've only booked studios so the cooler comes in handy to store beverages. That way our mini-fridge can hold sandwich items, veggies, fruits, etc.
I love Pearl Harbor commissary, it has all the items they carry at our Los Angeles Air Force Base commissary but of course they offer 'local' Hawaiian goodies. Things like: lau lau, kalua pig, bigger selection of fresh fish, crack seed (li hing mui snack; mochi crunch), chocolate covered mac nuts and many other items!! Take note that anyone entering the commissary must have their own military ID. Also, the exchange there is HUGE!!

I have zero to add about the commissary but Costco is waaaaay better than the grocery stores, should you need anything different.

Every time we stay at Aulani we always make a stop at Pearl Harbor commissary. Prices at Target, Foodland etc don't compare with prices at any commissary on the island!! We normally pack a collapsible cooler in our luggage and make our way from Honolulu airport to the commissary to load up on groceries. We store the perishable items in the cooler and load it with ice then head out to Aulani. We've only booked studios so the cooler comes in handy to store beverages. That way our mini-fridge can hold sandwich items, veggies, fruits, etc.
I love Pearl Harbor commissary, it has all the items they carry at our Los Angeles Air Force Base commissary but of course they offer 'local' Hawaiian goodies. Things like: lau lau, kalua pig, bigger selection of fresh fish, crack seed (li hing mui snack; mochi crunch), chocolate covered mac nuts and many other items!! Take note that anyone entering the commissary must have their own military ID. Also, the exchange there is HUGE!!
Thank you so much! ID cards aren’t a problem (retired Army). I heard the local civilian grocery stores are outrageous, I was hoping we could save. This sounds like a great option! I appreciate the response. I got a list today of excursion prices from Shofield Barracks ITR, it appears to have some good savings too for tours\excursions too.

Thank you so much! ID cards aren’t a problem (retired Army). I heard the local civilian grocery stores are outrageous, I was hoping we could save. This sounds like a great option! I appreciate the response. I got a list today of excursion prices from Shofield Barracks ITR, it appears to have some good savings too for tours\excursions too.

You're welcome :) Everything on that island is expensive lol but the commissary will be helpful in keeping costs low, at least with food/drinks and any souvenirs you may want to take back home.

There are MANY military bases on 'Oahu to choose from to book tickets and tours! But, not all of them allow you to pre-book excursions over the phone. For example, our last visit we wanted to take some of our friends who had never been to Hawai'i on an ATV tour at Kualoa ranch. I called Pearl Harbor ITT to purchase 6 tickets through them for that Kualoa tour and to reserve our date/time for that excursion. I was told that I would have to go directly to their office once we arrive in Honolulu and purchase those tickets. I wasn't taking a chance for that date/time for ATVs to fill up so I ended up booking the same excursion through another military base. Just an FYI!

Enjoy Aulani and Hawai'i .. Aloha

We are headed for our first Aulani stay this May...and I had not even thought about the commissary! Thanks for the suggestion.
Is it on the way to the resort?

We are headed for our first Aulani stay this May...and I had not even thought about the commissary! Thanks for the suggestion.
Is it on the way to the resort?
The Pearl Harbor commissary is 5 minutes from the airport on the way to Aulani. After getting a rental car you will drive under Nimitz Highway to the commissary. After that it is a short 2 minute drive from the commissary to the closest on ramp to the freeway.

I have never stayed at Aulani but have a ton of info on Hawaii for the military. We were stationed there long ago and my husband was in a National Guard unit that was a part of 25th ID and trained there. Some things to know-Yes the commissary is cheaper. way cheaper and you do not need a to go on base to access the JBPH commissary-its outside the gate. Buy gas on post if you can-much much cheaper. There is an ITR office in the AFFES mall where the commissary is-also on schofield, MCBH and smaller ones at Bellow AFS, and at Piillaau ARC. Also in the Hale Koa. Hale Koa luau is wonderful, less expensive and you don't have to be staying there. There are some GREAT beaches that are restricted access-Piillaau in Waianea, Bellows in Waimanalo, and at the combined club on what used to be Hickam. There is a military only tour of Pearl Harbor that is far more extensive that the one offered by the park service. You book it by calling the protocol office on JBPH. It uses the Admirals Launch, goes all the way around the harbor and lets you off at the memorial. Really really good tour.

You're welcome :) Everything on that island is expensive lol but the commissary will be helpful in keeping costs low, at least with food/drinks and any souvenirs you may want to take back home.

There are MANY military bases on 'Oahu to choose from to book tickets and tours! But, not all of them allow you to pre-book excursions over the phone. For example, our last visit we wanted to take some of our friends who had never been to Hawai'i on an ATV tour at Kualoa ranch. I called Pearl Harbor ITT to purchase 6 tickets through them for that Kualoa tour and to reserve our date/time for that excursion. I was told that I would have to go directly to their office once we arrive in Honolulu and purchase those tickets. I wasn't taking a chance for that date/time for ATVs to fill up so I ended up booking the same excursion through another military base. Just an FYI!

Enjoy Aulani and Hawai'i .. Aloha

We plan to do this also and my husband is military...which base did you use?

We plan to do this also and my husband is military...which base did you use?

I would use the Hickam ITT office on JBHP. Its actually on Base as opposed the the Pearl Harbor one which is in the NEX mall outside the main Pearl Harbor gate. You could also go to Schofield which is reasonably accessible from Ko Olina.

Do you know of forces members from other countries (Canada in my case) can shop there too?

Do you know of forces members from other countries (Canada in my case) can shop there too?
Can you use a commissary anywhere else in the US? Although Hawaii is OCONUS ( outside the contentinal united states) commissary rules are the same as they are on the mainland-generally you have to have a US military common access card or dependant ID card to use commissary and exchange facilities however here in Colorado Springs there are exceptions maid for Canadian personnel assigned to Northern Command. I think it would be worthwhile to send an email to the Defense commissary agency and ask-I will see if I can find an email address and pm it too you. You may also be able to use ITT offices although you might have to go to the one at Pearl Harbor since any of the others require that you have base access.

Can you use a commissary anywhere else in the US? Although Hawaii is OCONUS ( outside the contentinal united states) commissary rules are the same as they are on the mainland-generally you have to have a US military common access card or dependant ID card to use commissary and exchange facilities however here in Colorado Springs there are exceptions maid for Canadian personnel assigned to Northern Command. I think it would be worthwhile to send an email to the Defense commissary agency and ask-I will see if I can find an email address and pm it too you. You may also be able to use ITT offices although you might have to go to the one at Pearl Harbor since any of the others require that you have base access.

We've shopped at Ft Lewis so we can always try!

We've shopped at Ft Lewis so we can always try!

If you are good at Ft Lewis you should be good in Hawaii-I would definitely show up and try because it will save you a ton even over Costco-and if you can get fuel at those gas lanes too-gas is horrible in Hawaii and the last time we were over there was about a 1.90 difference between gas on post and gas off.

If you are good at Ft Lewis you should be good in Hawaii-I would definitely show up and try because it will save you a ton even over Costco-and if you can get fuel at those gas lanes too-gas is horrible in Hawaii and the last time we were over there was about a 1.90 difference between gas on post and gas off.

Thanks we'll give it a go. We never thought of trying on our previous trips :)

One of the things that my military friends has always said was more expensive, even at the commissary, is coffee - so if you are a coffee drinker, might want to take your own

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter