Locking a stroller in the parks

goofygal531

Always planning...
I'm asking for a friend of mine.

She has an expensive stroller and will be going to WDW in mid April. She is considering putting a lock on one of the wheels, it's still moveable, just not strollable. (If that makes sense)

For those with expensive strollers, what do you do?

Thanks.

We usually only lock the stroller if we plan to be away for long periods of time. (like the round trip train around the MK or the Land pavillion for example). When we do lock it, we lock only a front wheel so that a CM can easily move it by rocking onto back wheels. As a tip, we use a cable lock that we also can run thru the straps of a backpack while in the stroller basket that would discourage a 'grab and run' of your stuff. Usually though, we don't think twice about leaving it unlocked with camera bags in plain view in the basket.....we've never had a problem.

we have never locked ours, and we only take the valuables with us (camera, money etc), and have never had a problem.

Saying that, it's not a particulary expensive model either.
I think locking it for every ride would become a real hassle, but locking it at longer stops may work ok

Bev

Last trip, we had our expensive (to me, at least) Maclaren stroller. Never locked it; never had any problem.

I think using a cable lock would be okay -- the type used for bicycles -- so long as it doesn't prevent the CM's from moving it around if neccessary.

carene

I've never heard of a problem before ... I do agree that you should not leave anything that you can't afford to lose in the stroller such as cameras, etc. That's just asking for trouble.

Also, I wouldn't be too obvious about all the locks and stuff ... you may just attract more attention that you have a stroller worth stealing!! LOL.

Try not to worry too much about it ... chances are very good that there won't be a problem.

I was extremely anal about our stroller and stuff we brought, before we went. I was going so far as worrying about someone doing something to our drinks while we weren't around, so was planning to bring a backpack full of water bottles on all the rides.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Then I actually went to WDW. We never had a moment's worry for any of our stuff. We left everything in the strollers, including merchandise we purchased at Disney. Nobody touched anything. Everyone else is too concerned with having their own fun that they should not be messing with your stuff.

First stroller trip was with Peg Perego Pliko - I didn't lock it and I admit to being really worried about it the first day and when they moved it over as CM's do I had heart palpatations -:eek: when I didn't see it initially. So, I would suggest doing something to have it stand out in the sea of strollers just to locate it (we used colorful bandana and balloon).

Last trip was with Maclaren Quest, again no lock. The stories you hear about strollers taken are the Disney ones that all look the same and also people just take the first one they see sometimes for their own convenience. I don't think your friend has to worry about stroller theft.

Not worry about stroller theft? We were just there last month and one of the CM's said it happens ALL the time. We had our stroller stolen in the summer and it was not an expensive one at all. We were on a "short" ride as well and weren't gone more than 10 or so minutes max. We continued to check for the rest of our trip and it never returned so there goes the theory that it was an accident! Just be warned and be careful because it does happen and happens often! :mad:

Wow. What a bummer! That is really sad. We have friends who are long time CMs so I'll definitely ask on that stolen personal strollers happens all the time comment by the CM to you. 'Would hate to start bringing locks after all of these years. I totally agree that people shouldn't leave valuables in their strollers just in case but the thought that some one intentionally stole your stroller is just plain rotten.

I found that if I didn't lock it, I worried and it dampened my enjoyment of the trip. However, when I tried to really lock it, I ended up not doing it much of the time, because it was awkward to do so in the press of the crowds at each ride. So, I compromised. I lock it upon arriving at the park, and I don't unlock it until we leave.

I lock my stroller across one of the fold joints with a long padlock.
My assumption is that if someone does take it, they will probably abandon it outside of the gates when they discover that it doesn't fold, and then WDW will get it back to me.

I have also asked CM's about how often it happens, and I've been told that it happens pretty often. However, most CM's I spoke to about it said that the strollers do tend to turn up in the lost and found, but usually not until several days after they go missing. (This is in situations where the owners have reported the stroller missing, and the CM's have looked.) Which makes perfect sense if you think about it; people are probably "borrowing" the strollers for the duration of their WDW visit, then abandoning them before they go home. It also makes sense that the majority of strollers reported missing seem to disappear at Downtown Disney, where there is no admission charge.

One thing to make sure you do is to label the stroller carefully with your full name and address, so that if it does go missing, WDW can find you to return it. (I use return address labels on the bottom of the frame, coated over w/ clear nail polish.) I also always put a "resort tag" on it with our dates of stay and the name and phone number of the hotel.

I'm embarassed to admit :rolleyes: .....

We were in Epcot at The Land. We left our stroller outside. When we were done (approx 2 hours later), my DH got the stoller and we headed for World Showcase. Approximately half way through, I went to grab something from my coat (it was december) and I noticed that there were other things...not ours..in the bottom of our stroller. I then did a double take and inspected the stroller....same scuff marks, same bent wheel. But IT WASNT OURS :eek: !!

I felt awful!!! DH and I split up around WS and headed back to the land.....where the family whose stroller we'd taken were waiting....next to ours. I couldn't appologize enough.:rolleyes:

They were apparently only waiting 10 minutes or so. They must have went into The Land when we were leaving.

That was truly a mistake you taking the wrong stroller and it was very nice of you to apologize up and down to the family. I waited for at least 45 minutes at the ride to see if anyone returned our stroller and no one did. Also we were there for 12 more days and no one returned our stroller. I was very upset at the time but now I think if the person needed it that bad they should have just asked and I would have given it to them! I am just much more careful now and never park it alone as I did that night. I guess we learned our lesson! :D

We locked our stroller during our last trip to WDW. Then we didn't worry about it. But again, we locked it in a way that a cast member could move it if need be.

We just recently bought a Maclaren Volo (high end umbrella type stroller) and plan on using it for our next trip. We will be bringing a lock again and were thinking that if its possible, we'll just fold it up and bring it with us (but not sure where we would be able to do this or not). I know we couldn't do that for attractions like Star Tours or Tower of Terror, but it would probably be ok for The Country Bears or The Great Movie Ride type attractions? If not, we will have the lock.

~ Valerie ~

I've taken several different strollers to WDW over the years and never had one taken. All of my strollers are expensive ones, Peg Perego, Maclaren, Combi and never have I had one stolen. I don't lock any of them either, just use the wheel lock.

I may be off base here but, how about taking a stroller that you wouldn't 'worry' about? If the stroller is that expensive buy a cheaper one for your trip to the parks so you won't be spending your time worrying about it??

Not trying to upset anyone, but it seems
silly to worry about having a stroller disappear.

... the ones with the best used resale value. For people who travel frequently and use public transit with small children, full-featured umbrella strollers are worth their weight in gold. It's the engineering that makes them expensive, and the engineering that makes them worth using.

IMO, taking a few precautions against theft is a small price to pay for the difference this sort of stroller makes in the convenience of transporting little kids when away from home. If you have never used a high-end travel stroller, you probably can't appreciate why those of us who have them are so devoted to them. I'd rather have root-canal than spend a day at MK trying to push a 30 lb. child in a poorly-engineered stroller.

Originally posted by BounceyOne
I may be off base here but, how about taking a stroller that you wouldn't 'worry' about? If the stroller is that expensive buy a cheaper one for your trip to the parks so you won't be spending your time worrying about it??

I think my DH would kill me, after spending quite a pretty penny on fine quality strollers, if I told him I now wanted to buy an inexpensive one just to bring to Disney! LOL

What's the point of having them if you're not going to use them?

Just my $.02

Jo (who will be bringing an Inglesina and Peg Perego next week to Disney and won't likely be locking them)

I do have an inexpensive stroller to take to Disney. But I still worry about it being stolen because.. How would we get around the rest of our trip? I guess we could rent at the parks, but what about to and from your hotel, Downtown Disney and the airport!

Originally posted by BounceyOne

I would take a cheaper stroller but they are too small for my DD. She is tall for her age and the cheaper strollers just don't fit. Ijust bought a Maclaren Daytripper that is very roomy and made for a taller child. It is also light and easy to fold up while still providing sun protection anda basket for hauling stuff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter