London Underground

Domo

Wotcha
I find this fascinating. There are four basic networks: The sewers (500 miles long), the Underground (including "Ghost Stations", divided into Cut and Cover lines, just under the surface and Deep Level lines, far underground), the Royal Mail networks (I think these are now abandoned) and the Dark Tunnels (a net of uncharted tunnels and vaults, terrifying!).

Wow, I never knew there was so much to it!!

(The public part is a nice system, though. I was there years ago, and remember what little I saw being clean and easy to navigate.)

(The public part is a nice system, though. I was there years ago, and remember what little I saw being clean and easy to navigate.)

It's hit and miss. For example, the Northern Line is over-capacity, breaks down a lot, is grimy, full of graffiti and more.

However, the Jubilee Line is a showcase of ultra-modern glass and aluminium, very nicely done.

But one thing I WILL give to the whole network is that it's fast and easy to find yourself around, very comprehensive.

I find the London underground fascinating and I hope it will be my first tourist destination (if I ever get there). I used to be a children's librarian and read a few children's and YA books that were set under old cities like London (the subway or sewer systems) and ever since then I'm obsessed. If you have any favorite books on the subject please recommend!

I find the London underground fascinating and I hope it will be my first tourist destination (if I ever get there). I used to be a children's librarian and read a few children's and YA books that were set under old cities like London (the subway or sewer systems) and ever since then I'm obsessed. If you have any favorite books on the subject please recommend!

I know of a website I can recommend... http://www.abandonedstations.org.uk/

It's all about the ghost stations on the underground :)

It's hit and miss. For example, the Northern Line is over-capacity, breaks down a lot, is grimy, full of graffiti and more.

However, the Jubilee Line is a showcase of ultra-modern glass and aluminium, very nicely done.

But one thing I WILL give to the whole network is that it's fast and easy to find yourself around, very comprehensive.

Someone needs to talk to my mum about it being easy to find your way round with the underground. If she's unsupervised you can guarantee she will get lost :rotfl: luckily she very rarely goes to London by herself.

I loved travelling on the Tube when we were in London. DD was 5 and traveled free with me. We had a Britrail pass, and when i bought it I got a discounted Oyster Travel card. DD had never ridden on mass transit before that trip> Her first experience was in Vancouver BC, on the bus then Skytrain on her way to the airport for our flight to London. Took no time at all to find our way around except for some construction which closed some stations. And adventure getting to the Tower as a couple of stations were closed so we got off an took the bus to the Tower. We were stay out at Kew Gardens.

Someone needs to talk to my mum about it being easy to find your way round with the underground. If she's unsupervised you can guarantee she will get lost :rotfl: luckily she very rarely goes to London by herself.

She's safe - even I don't get lost, and I would get lost driving a train. Tracks? Who needs tracks. Time to mix things up a little!

I find this fascinating....including "Ghost Stations"..... the Royal Mail networks (I think these are now abandoned) and the Dark Tunnels (a net of uncharted tunnels and vaults, terrifying!).
...."abandoned" indeed....

latest

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter