Long Drive Ahead

Nana2Callie

DIS Veteran
This is the first time we've driven in the last few years - so looking for road trip tips for 16 hours in car. We have one young teen - and want to limit the time watching movies, electronics to a reasonable minimum. So suggestions please... and thank you.

Well with 16hrs in the car if you are not watching a movie or reading a book or napping then looking out the window would be the other option. Be sure to plan you bathroom breaks knowing that most fast food places have closed their bathrooms to the public.

Kinda a tough one - there are only so many things one can do in a car during a long road trip. Might have to allow more screen time than you might normally (I feel your pain, I remember getting our kids PS whatevers - those small hand held video games, it was 2003 and hating that I was sitting my kids in front of a screen in anticipation of the drive to FL)
Perhaps a audio book that appeals to everyone in the car? Don't have to listen to it all the time, maybe a classic or something fun?
How old is your teen? Do they have a learners permit? If so it might be a great importunity for some good driving experience.

I was thinking audio book and we still play a few road games... just trying to be creative. No learners permit and will do some drawing...

There's a couple of games we've played...

Alphabet game: Starting with A, watch billboards, road signs, basically anything outside of the car and find words starting with each letter of the alphabet. If you want, keep track on who finds the most. You can even go backwards.

Word game: Someone says a word. The next person has to come up with a word that starts with the last letter of that word and can not repeat a word. If someone takes too long or repeats a word, they're out. Last man standing wins.

These will not fill 16 hours, but will help.

But I agree with @rwdavis2, why limit the electronics?

We really love audio books on long drives. We find they really help make the time go by.

Car activities can be tough, because some suggestions will make some people more prone to motion sickness---reading, writing,etc.

We also like the old alphabet scavenger hunt game. It can just be group fun,or someone can actually keep score of who finds what first. And surprisingly enough, my kids like 20 questions---like a lot. They'll go on and on with that way beyond how long I would like to play, LOL! (DH is a big fan, too. I'm the only one who seems to grow weary of it. :) )

Why limit the time on electronics? I'm genuinely curious.
I was wondering the same thing. A very long road trip seems like the right time to relax rules on screen time. We used to do a 12 hour drive frequently, with somewhat younger kids. We had a video player system with 2 screens for the back seat. Since I was driving I heard many movies that I have never actually seen. We also had several car games, small versions of connect 4, cards, etc that the kids could play together. Much harder with just one child in the car though. Now the kids will use their electronics and headphones.

I did a lot of reading when we drove to Disney when I was a kid (from MA). This was before smart phones and we didn't have any sort of tv in the car. Nap, look out the window, sudoku and puzzle books.

Our trip from here in central De is just shy of 1000 miles. We have done it twice by car now but with Just the wife and I. We were both in our 50s in those days. First time we went straight thru leaving home at 1 am at Ft Wilderness resort Outpost to check in at 7pm. Stopped once outside of Fayetteville NC at Cracker Barrel for breakfast, and once in Santee SC all other stops were for either Potty or fuel. Happily we planned on a down day after our arrival as we needed it.
That proved to us that on our next trip we need to add an extra travel day. We arrived more relaxed and able to do more. I say this as 16 hours straight in car will take it's toll on everyone. For a teenager extra device time might be warranted. Extra stretch your legs and potty stops and might be in order as well

:wave2:
Hey there, used to live in Hartly myself! All over lower & slower these days for work as well.
We are here on the western outskirts of the thriving metropolis of Clayton so very aware of Hartly.
Should also add that today we do the trip in a 37ft motorhome towing a Chevy Equinox and bring 2 4yr old Savage Goat Hounds, we have both passed the 60 yr mark and i now do ALL the driving so a few extra stops are called for. We now take 3 days to do the trip. Gratefully we have found campgrounds on our way that serve our needs ie Near I 95 has pull thru sites and a dog park Most important is I can under most circumstances reach by 4 pm to perform required set ups before dark.

We are here on the western outskirts of the thriving metropolis of Clayton so very aware of Hartly
Ah, yes - well take 300 west and I'm just over the state line these days, about 20-25 minutes from you, just across 301!

OP - perhaps if they have school work they could get some done during the ride if they can stand to read/write in a moving vehicle. I know I could never handle that, I wish I could read in the car! Might have to allow that extra screen time.

The state license plate game is a supplementary option. It's not too diverting by itself, but you can do it while playing other games or listening to an audio book.
I recommend getting or making your own checklist otherwise it's a mess to keep track. I don't know where you are coming from but our entire trip from home to WDW is along I-95. Not surprisingly, we accumulate most or all of the states east of the Mississippi pretty quickly, and the rest of the trip focuses on the west half. One trip we even managed to spot both Alaska and Hawaii, which is pretty rare I think, but apparently possible.

Play solitaire with actual cards, puzzles, find a word book/crossword book? Keep a journal/account of the drive/trip.

Keep a journal/account of the drive/trip.
Love this suggestion. When my wife and I do road trips I like to "navigate" using waze on the iPad and the Interstate Exit guide app. We keep track of starting/stoping times, as well as state boarders, and mileage reading.

Using the interstate exit guide we are able to plan ahead gas and food stops. You can check each exit for price of gas and restaurants. We typically stop every 2 hours of so for gas or rest stops. Its easy to look ahead 120 miles or so and check the various exits around that area for the best options.

Love this suggestion. When my wife and I do road trips I like to "navigate" using waze on the iPad and the Interstate Exit guide app. We keep track of starting/stoping times, as well as state boarders, and mileage reading.

Using the interstate exit guide we are able to plan ahead gas and food stops. You can check each exit for price of gas and restaurants. We typically stop every 2 hours of so for gas or rest stops. Its easy to look ahead 120 miles or so and check the various exits around that area for the best options.

That is my job :flower:when DH drives. If I read, it puts me to sleep sometimes so I do little reading. I try to stay up. I write down, time we leave, stops, time, gas$ where, hotel, $ etc. etc. Anything happen on the road, see anything different, etc. etc.

Try an Overnight Stay ..... there Must be a Motel along the way

And one with a Swim Pool ............ Give yourselves a Break & a Rest

16 Hours Driving is DANGEROUS . ( 2 full 8 hour shifts ...non stop )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter