Long shot - anyone done Mexican Riveria and Western Carribean? Bonus if it was Wonder and Fantasy

sukhakuli

<font color=darkorchid>I guess I'm funny like that
About 4 years ago we did the Halloween on the High Seas from San Diego to Mexico on the Wonder, verandah room. We just booked the Fantasy for a 7 night Western Caribbean, also Halloween. We got 2 connecting rooms on deck 8, Cat 4B.

I'm curious about some differences we can expect, both good and bad, both between the ships and between the ports and cruise itself. Any info, really. I guess I just love reading people's vacation stories. <3

My kids will be 16, 14, 11, and 6 and we are once again going with my elderly mother, like last time. The kids will be on fall break, so no school missed.

We decided to do a week at Disney World before the cruise, as well.

Thanks!!

We’ve done both! Although our western didn’t stop in Jamaica because it was the first SWDAS.

The ships are different in a number of ways. My kids like the mini golf and sports simulator on the big ships but prefer the kid and tween clubs on the smaller ships. There are more people on the big ships and to us that is most noticeable on Castaway Cay.

The Fantasy has Remy and the dessert experience is amazing! The MDRs are essentially the same as when you were on the Wonder (they have since added Tiana’s restaurant to the Wonder, which was a great addition).

As for stops, our western on the Fantasy was a bust because of the weather. Our excursion in Cozumel was cancelled due to rain and we were not able to dock at Castaway Cay, which was a major bummer. We loved the Mexican Riveria ports and had fun excursions there - the best was zip lining in Puerto Vallarta.

You’ll have a great time! Happy to answer any questions.

Thank you! I really appreciate it.It's been a few years since we went on the cruise to the Mexican Rivera and they kids have been begging me since then to take them on another Disney Cruise and I finally gave in.

I'll have to look into Remy for my dh and I! We didn't want to do Palo because we have an older teenager and can go out any time we want (my oldest is such a sweetheart with the littles and very responsible), but maybe Remy is worth it.

We had a blast on our port excursions! We did the tequila at PV, the boat tour and glass blowing on Cabo, and left the smallest ones on the boat while we took the teens on an open car tour and walking tour in Mazatlan. I love doing things we can't do where we live (San Diego, we get beached-out sometimes) so I'm hoping to go to Tulum, and other cultural/social stops. And relax after a crazy week at Disney World!

I haven't been on the Wonder, but have been on the sister ship Magic so they are really similar. I just did the Fantasy Western Caribbean. It's a great cruise and ship. The Fantasy will be a lot bigger, but there is more to do. Definitely try the aquaduck. We didn't do much in the ports, but we've been to them all many times before. Definitely do an excursion in Jamaica, its not really safe to wander outside the gates alone. If you want to just walk around there are little shops in an enclosed area that is gated, which is safe. Remy is a great restaurant, but I prefer Palo especially with the new price increases. Victoria and Albert's at Disney is a lot better, if you could do that instead when you're there. That restaurant does allow children 10 and up, although I don't know many kids that would like the food. The prices of the two are now pretty comparable with the price increase at Remy.

The broadway style shows will be different as well. I really liked Aladdin. The theater fills up fast so it's good to get there a little early for a seat. Unlike the Wonder they will have two levels of seating since there are more people on the ship.

We've done both. Our honeymoon was the MR itinerary, but that was also 14+ years ago (not Disney). Our last DCL cruise in 2017 was the WC and we LOVED it!!! We loved it so much, we agreed that we would do the same itinerary again, in the future. Our kids also loved it. Grand Cayman was our favorite (other than CC of course). You will not be disappointed!

We've done both. Our honeymoon was the MR itinerary, but that was also 14+ years ago (not Disney). Our last DCL cruise in 2017 was the WC and we LOVED it!!! We loved it so much, we agreed that we would do the same itinerary again, in the future. Our kids also loved it. Grand Cayman was our favorite (other than CC of course). You will not be disappointed!

Curious as to what you did in Grand Cayman. I am going on my first DCL cruise in December and am looking for ideas.

The Fantasy (and Dream) also have the Mid-Ship Detective Agency game which I think your younger kids will especially enjoy. Plus there is the Aqua Duck, mini-golf, sports simulator, etc that aren't on the smaller ships.

We've done both and both were wonderful. Mexican Riviera was our first DC and the day we left port was VERY VERY rocky. Like when you walk you look drunk because you can't really keep your balance.

We did Mexico over spring break and it was on the cold side. We did the Western in July and it was SOOOO hot. We couldn't really enjoy our balcony much and your feet burned on deck if you didn't have shoes on. Must not have been too bad though because we are doing the Eastern this July.

I would love to do more Mexico cruises because we can drive to the So Cal port, the timing just doesn't really work out for us on those. We love the Wonder.

Curious as to what you did in Grand Cayman. I am going on my first DCL cruise in December and am looking for ideas.
We did the turtle farm and swimming with the dolphins. It was a fun day and the kids loved it.

About 4 years ago we did the Halloween on the High Seas from San Diego to Mexico on the Wonder, verandah room. We just booked the Fantasy for a 7 night Western Caribbean, also Halloween. We got 2 connecting rooms on deck 8, Cat 4B.

I'm curious about some differences we can expect, both good and bad, both between the ships and between the ports and cruise itself. Any info, really. I guess I just love reading people's vacation stories. <3

My kids will be 16, 14, 11, and 6 and we are once again going with my elderly mother, like last time. The kids will be on fall break, so no school missed.

Thanks!!
We did the Mexican Rivera twice on the Wonder, and the Western Caribbean on the Fantasy.

Of course, this is just my personal take on them:
Mexico - not really a place I like to go. We took an overall city tour from DCL in all ports (couple of snorkeling ones). Difference between those ports and Caribbean ports I find it's kinda creepy to see police with machine guns on every corner when out and about in port (Mexico).

Ship differences - Wonder is smaller, more intimate, felt like we got to know our servers (and they, us) better. Fantasy is bigger, more onboard activities available, but a lot more people enjoying them. Shows - better on the Wonder (IMO).

We've done both. Hurricane Sandy aftermath changed our itinerary more than once, but changes happen. (We've also missed Castaway Cay on the Wonder.) Anyway. On the western the teenage kids enjoyed climbing the Falls in Jamaica. The turtle farm on Grand Cayman was fun for the whole family. We really liked swimming with the dolphins in Puerto Vallarta.

The Halloween activities have been known to change from year to year and ship to ship, but we had a great costume party. The passengers really went all out, especially families who dressed up as characters from a Disney movie.

We really enjoyed Remy, tho it isn't something we'll do every cruise because of the $$$. We considered the expense as an excursion.

We booked an excursion outside of DCL, only because DCL didn't have this option. We did Stingray City and Starfish Pointe, but we got there by jet-ski! It was the most amazing, memorable experience. It's hard to explain, but the entire family thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Imagine, we were jet-skiing in the middle of the ocean, to the sandbar, where the stingrays hangout (which also looks to sit in the middle of the ocean, but we were standing on it!). Plus, it was a bonus, that we had the guide to ourselves.

We're thinking about doing the Green Grotto Caves. We're not interested in turtles or stingrays. We saw turtles in Texas and my oldest was stung by a sting ray at a local beach. We see loads of those anytime we want. And we can swim with dolphins at Sea World locally. So I guess we aren't interested in the wildlife too much or the beach activities. We live near the beach and the kids are kind of sick of it. It depends on your family, though.

Not trying to hijack this thread, but I was wondering what are the pros & cons of port vs. starboard cabins on the Fantasy for a Western Caribbean itinerary. We are planning for next summer. TIA.

LAX

Not trying to hijack this thread, but I was wondering what are the pros & cons of port vs. starboard cabins on the Fantasy for a Western Caribbean itinerary. We are planning for next summer. TIA.

LAX
Not really any advantage of one side over the other. In most ports, the ship could dock with either side tied up. Even Castaway Cay, although most times the ship backs in there with the port side being tied to the dock.

Not really any advantage of one side over the other. In most ports, the ship could dock with either side tied up. Even Castaway Cay, although most times the ship backs in there with the port side being tied to the dock.

As long as there isn't a strong con on either side, I guess I will try starboard this time as we were on port last time (first time at that time). Thanks.

LAX

Just got done booking over the phone (that was quite an ordeal). Interestingly, on the 7 night Caribbean itinerary I was looking at, the starboard booked much faster/earlier than the port as many of the remaining ones (not many) were port. Is there something to it or pure coincidence?

LAX

Just got done booking over the phone (that was quite an ordeal). Interestingly, on the 7 night Caribbean itinerary I was looking at, the starboard booked much faster/earlier than the port as many of the remaining ones (not many) were port. Is there something to it or pure coincidence?

LAX

Because most people want to look at the cultivated side of Castaway rather than the natural side.

Thanks!!
Did the Mexico. Doing the western Caribbean 7 night sept 28th. Thanks for asking this question as I am curious too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter