Long Stay at WDW: Restaurant Reviews (LONG)

Reflection

DIS Veteran
We returned four days ago from a three-week stay in Orlando. Here's a list of where we ate at WDW and brief reviews. With the exception of Le Cellier (dinner), Princess Breakfast (Epcot), and Hoop de Doo review, we made no priority seatings

Magic Kingdom
Counter service
Pecos Bill--ate here on two different occaisions (lunch and during enight). For lunch, I had the vegetable salad (chicken can be added); daughter had the kid's meal. The salad was HUGE--loaded with plenty of crisp veggies--and the dressing was light and tangy (very delicious). My one criticism--too many onions. I don't care for raw onions, so I just picked them out as best as I could. The quality and quanity of the salad was excellent value for the money.

During enight (8/23), we split the double cheeseburger. I like hamburgers (just not those from fast food restaurants such as Burger King, MacDonald's etc), but I thought this was pretty good. I also liked the freshness and variety of items at the 'fixins bar.' I don't like raw onions, but just adore sauteed onions! Would have ordered the root beer float, but the restaurant was out of ice cream. I give this high marks for good-tasting, reasonably priced food.

El Perico y ... (lunch)--I had the taco salad and my daughter had the kid's meal (chicken fingers, I think). The meat in the taco salad was nicely seasoned, and the salad contained plenty of cheese and lettuce. I thought this was a good-value fast food meal.

Sit down
Plaza Restaurant--(dinner)
I had the chicken/strawberry salad and my daughter had a kid's meal (hot dog). The portion size of my salad was huge, but the dressing was little too sweet for my taste. I did not like the salad as much as I thought I would because the greens were limp, as though the salad had been made ahead of time. For dessert, I had the chocolate cake (which our waiter nicely wrapped up for us, as it was way too big a slice for one person), and my daughter had a milk shake (which we had to have the leftovers put in a take-away cup). I would give this place another try but would not order the salad.

Liberty Tree Tavern (lunch) We ate here with friends. My daughter and her friend had the chicken strips off the children's menu. My daughter also had the drink special (tavern punch), which was delicious. I had the chicken sandwich (I rated okay, not bad, not exceptional, just okay) and soup of the day--potato soup, which was quite good. My friend had the special--a roast pork loin. My friend said the vegetables were undercooked, but the pork was nicely seasoned. For dessert, we shared the chocolate cake.

Animal Kingdom--we used the meal certificates--what a great deal (entree, side, beverage and vouchers for another water/soda and ice cream bar or popcorn) on three different occaisions and ate at Pizzafari and Tusker House. My daughter had the kid's meal (small pepperoni pizza and carrots) from Pizzafari each time. I had the chicken Caesar at Pizzafari twice. Nice crisp greens, flavorful and cooked chicken, and a goodly amount of cheese. On the other occaision, at Tusker House,I had the chicken meal (rotisserie chicken, mashed potatoes, and vegetables--greeen beans and carrots). We enjoyed the food at both places, but the Tusker House chicken was absolutely delicious. Another nice touch was being able to use our Annual Passes and dine leisurely in the Passholder's lounge. Good value and good food.

MGM
Mama Melrose--If you like risotto, do not order the mushroom risotto at this restaurant. I also had the capucciono creme brulee, which I liked but I did not like this as well as the creme brulee at Le Cellier. The service was fine and I enjoyed the bread (nice and hot and served with lots of real butter) and my side salad. I will try this restaurant again on another visit but will definitely order a different entree.

EPCOT
Counter service
Restaurant near Innoventions West (I think this is correct Innoventions. At any rate, I mean the one that has the Toon Town Tag and other Internet games). I grabbed a salad and a kid's meal for my daughter here after we gave up on our Le Cellier PS after waiting 35 minutes. Salad--chicken Caesar--was not good because it had been premade and I'm not sure how long it had been in the refrigerator.

Sit down
Rose and Crown (three different times). This has become my daughter's favorite restaurant (it used to be Chef Mickey's). On two occaisions, we both had the fish and chips. Delicious as always. On the other visit, I had the cottage pie, which was excellent. In fact, I found it so delicious, I almost ordered another serving. My daughter again had the fish and chips. Since the chocolate cake has been taken off the menu, we don't eat the desserts at this restaurant, but instead head over to France for pastries.

Le Cellier--As noted above, we gave up on first try (dinner) for which we had a PS. Tried two days later (no PS) for lunch and had no problem getting a table. I had the entree salad with grilled chicken added (which unfortunately was not fully cooked on some pieces), with the blue cheese on the side. I also had the cheddar cheese soup. Sorry, but I don't understand why people rave about this. I thought it was okay--but not spectacular. The creme brulee, on the other hand, was excellent. We also enjoyed the bread sticks. I particulary liked how the bread basket is presented. I'm glad that I experienced this restaurant, but I probably won't eat here again.

Chefs du France--My daughter had the kid's meal (chicken breast and pasta) on both occaisions. At lunch, I had the special (croque monsieur, salad, and dessert), which was good except for the creme brulee. Rather runny, which suprised and disappointed me. For dinner, I had the steak, which was delicious. Despite the poor quality creme brulee, this is still remains my favorite restaurant at WDW.

Akershus (Norway) for the Princess Breakfast. With the exception of the fresh fruit (wonderful strawberries and ripe, sweet cantalope), the food is just as poor as that served for the Cinderella Breakfast. I did not like the food--although my daughter liked the french toast sticks--but I thought the service and character interaction good. Only restaurant we ate at in the World Showcase that served butterine instead of butter.

Resorts
Contemporary--Concourse Steakhouse--(lunch) I had the cheesesteak sandwich and my daughter had a hot dog. Huge portions and good food.

Ft Wilderness--Hoop de Doo--we had an excellent table right near the stage. The show was wonderful and I loved the salad and the ribs. My daughter liked the fried chicken. The vegetables were overcooked and not edible, and the strawberry shortcake was BLECH! Despite the awful dessert, we will do this meal again because we had such a good time.

Old Key West--Olivia's--we ate lunch here while waiting for our room. We had smoothies (berrry), quite delicious. My daughter had chicken strips but wanted carrots instead of french fries. Our waiter brought her steamed carrots, which had been topped with butter and were quite delicious. I had the special--chicken quesadilla, which was quite good. I also had the soup special-- bacon, lettuce, and tomato soup, supposedly a resort favorite--but I really did not care for it. I thought I was eating chicken consomme. For dessert, we shared a brownie sundae.

Downtown Disney
Captain Jacks--I had the chicken sandwich and my daughter had pasta--I think?? Food was okay; my favorite thing here is dessert (100 Years of Magic Chocolate Cake), and it was terrific as usual.

If there are any questions, I'll try to answer.

Great reviews. We may try Mama Melrose's this trip. We've eaten at MGM several times, but never at Mama Melrose's. And I may have to try the creme brulee at Le Cellier.

I ate at Mama Melrose in Nov. of last year...I had one of the personal Pizza's and it was quite decent. 2 people could have shared it.;) Looking forward to going again this Nov.

Thanks for the reviews! I am looking forward to trying Chef de France for the first time in December!

:earsgirl: Krissy

I am so glad to hear that I am not the only one who doesn't think Le Cellier is the greatest.

Reflection- Are we related? You eat chocolate cake about as often as I would like to (that is if I wouldn't feel guilty after each piece). It's not dessert if it's not chocolate in my opinion.

SamanthaL--what can I say except I'm a chocoholic. Chocolate cake and creme brulee are my alltime favorite desserts!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter