Long Term Campers....Should it be allowed?

I managed to find a Wed-Sun full hookup site on short notice a couple of months ago and we're checking in next week. Our passes are blacked out so this will be a fort only trip and first camping trip for our 3 youngest grandchildren. We plan to spend a lot of time at the pool, but definitely will be checking out the pony rides and some other things. Brunch at Trail's End is a definite. As for the long term campers, I definitely have a dream of being a seasonal CM and staying at the fort. We only live about 90 miles away, but that's a long drive in one day after working. Hubby is retiring in about 4 years and I'm definitely hoping to do a long term trip at the fort and a lot of other campgrounds around the country!

woo hoo, its finally time! :cool1: I officially retire at the end of the year, AND we booked 4 weeks at the Fort, it's happening
You will love your long stay. We arrive 10/25 for our 2nd 4 week stay this year. We drive from Tucson so need long stay to make it worth the drive. Also to make our annual pass pay. You will enjoy resting on the porch in a rocking chair not in a hurry.

We did almost 5 weeks the winter we were homeless. It does afford you some time to "settle in" :D

Well my thoughts probably are not worth much but I agree that Disney makes the rules and we either live with them or vacation somewhere else. I do understand the frustration with the weekends being eaten up. Not that they will do this but Disney could impose a minimum night stay and that could cut down on some of it.

I was very jealous of all the retirees staying for a month. That is definitely in my planning but that is 8/10 years away.

Well I am sitting here dreaming about my next trip. Lot harder for me being in Central CA. Drive is 2600 miles. We are trying to decide if we should fly down and stay at a value or drive and stay at the fort. I am leaning to driving but I think wife is more of the flying. The funny is that I have calculated it out and I think driving would end up cheaper then flying in. The only real difference is time off. The flying in requires 2 weeks off and the driving would require 3 weeks. When you are self employed it makes a difference.

Well if anyone has any good arguments to make to wife to drive, please feel free to pass them on.

John

Well my thoughts probably are not worth much but I agree that Disney makes the rules and we either live with them or vacation somewhere else. I do understand the frustration with the weekends being eaten up. Not that they will do this but Disney could impose a minimum night stay and that could cut down on some of it.

I was very jealous of all the retirees staying for a month. That is definitely in my planning but that is 8/10 years away.

Well I am sitting here dreaming about my next trip. Lot harder for me being in Central CA. Drive is 2600 miles. We are trying to decide if we should fly down and stay at a value or drive and stay at the fort. I am leaning to driving but I think wife is more of the flying. The funny is that I have calculated it out and I think driving would end up cheaper then flying in. The only real difference is time off. The flying in requires 2 weeks off and the driving would require 3 weeks. When you are self employed it makes a difference.

Well if anyone has any good arguments to make to wife to drive, please feel free to pass them on.

John
Of course the wife and I are retired but only a day or so less then you, 2210 miles from house to the mouse. We hate airports and other people's beds and bathrooms. Driving, you can bring what you want, eat what and when you want and really relax at your rig when not at parks. I-10 is a pretty easy drive and good places to stop. May stop going to florida when we can't drive anymore. Just one point of view.

I'm only about 1000 miles, but DW can fly in and you drive. Best of both worlds. We have done that when DW didn't enough time off work. I don't mind driving alone. I actually make better time since I don't stop as much.

j

John

Waves 'hi' from No Calif.

We were the opposite, DH was more for flying & I was for driving. Since he's the only towing driver I yielded. But then he remembered he HATES flying, so we drove.

As far as costs, well, the cheapest r/t on SWA is around $300.00 (SMF to MCO). So $600.00 for two. IF you can snag the 'Getaway Today' fare, that is. Only you know how many days it'd take and much you'd pay for fuel and RV parks en route vs boondocking at truck stops, and the cost of a room vs a site at the Fort. And how many meals you'd eat 'in' vs 3 meals a day 'out'.

For us, it was pretty much a wash since we boondock and don't eat out en route. Once at WDW, we eat breakfast 'in'. In the parks, we usually do quick/counter service and one 'splurge' meal during our trip. And if we'd flown, we were planning on room costs of around $350.00-400.00/night. Our site at the Fort was a LOT cheaper than that, even with 3 extra nights!

What are your wife's main objections. I LOVE that cross-country trip.

Waves 'hi' from No Calif.

We were the opposite, DH was more for flying & I was for driving. Since he's the only towing driver I yielded. But then he remembered he HATES flying, so we drove.

As far as costs, well, the cheapest r/t on SWA is around $300.00 (SMF to MCO). So $600.00 for two. IF you can snag the 'Getaway Today' fare, that is. Only you know how many days it'd take and much you'd pay for fuel and RV parks en route vs boondocking at truck stops, and the cost of a room vs a site at the Fort. And how many meals you'd eat 'in' vs 3 meals a day 'out'.

For us, it was pretty much a wash since we boondock and don't eat out en route. Once at WDW, we eat breakfast 'in'. In the parks, we usually do quick/counter service and one 'splurge' meal during our trip. And if we'd flown, we were planning on room costs of around $350.00-400.00/night. Our site at the Fort was a LOT cheaper than that, even with 3 extra nights!

What are your wife's main objections. I LOVE that cross-country trip.
Flying for us requires going out of Fresno, which cost more, or driving and paying for parking. Also, I hate flying, not a fear but rather the bother and being really uncomfortable while flying. Wife just does not like to drive everyday. If I could take 10 days to get there with days off on the road she would be all for it. Next year we are headed to Graceland, New Orleans, Dolly World and other stops. It will be 3 weeks on the road, but we will drive a day or two and then stay for a couple of days. This is a 5 day drive, everyday. That the objection.

In terms of cost, if we fly down, we would get some quick breakfast food for the room but then end up eating out two meals a day. With Airstream, we would probably eat good breakfast and then either eat only one meal out or even just eat at trailer. I think cost wise, it will be about the same.

Web site I found mapped out the cost of driving and it was about $550.00 in gas. We would do some boondock nights and some campground nights.

I am currently leaning to driving by myself and having the wife fly in. She may drive back with me or fly, have not decided. I think the selling point for her will be that if we take the Airstream, we will spend more time relaxing. If we fly, I will want to be on the go all the time. I don't sit in hotel rooms, boring. But kicking back in my Trailer and hanging out, I can do.

John

Flying for us requires going out of Fresno, which cost more, or driving and paying for parking. Also, I hate flying, not a fear but rather the bother and being really uncomfortable while flying. Wife just does not like to drive everyday. If I could take 10 days to get there with days off on the road she would be all for it. Next year we are headed to Graceland, New Orleans, Dolly World and other stops. It will be 3 weeks on the road, but we will drive a day or two and then stay for a couple of days. This is a 5 day drive, everyday. That the objection.

In terms of cost, if we fly down, we would get some quick breakfast food for the room but then end up eating out two meals a day. With Airstream, we would probably eat good breakfast and then either eat only one meal out or even just eat at trailer. I think cost wise, it will be about the same.

Web site I found mapped out the cost of driving and it was about $550.00 in gas. We would do some boondock nights and some campground nights.

I am currently leaning to driving by myself and having the wife fly in. She may drive back with me or fly, have not decided. I think the selling point for her will be that if we take the Airstream, we will spend more time relaxing. If we fly, I will want to be on the go all the time. I don't sit in hotel rooms, boring. But kicking back in my Trailer and hanging out, I can do.

John
We're retired so have the luxury of 'meandering'. We took 6 days to get to FL this last trip @ average 500+/day, but plan on cutting our miles down to around 400/day, so about 7 days +/-. Our return trip was a lot longer as we spent a week in the Smokies and 2 weeks in Yellowstone. On the road a total of close to 8 weeks.

I hear you about kicking back in your 'home on wheels' as opposed to a hotel room! That's what makes the Fort so great! You bring your home with you to your 'home away from home'. Oh man, gee, now I'm 'homesick'!!!

Web site I found mapped out the cost of driving and it was about $550.00 in gas. .
What kind of mileage do you get? It cost me over $650 in fuel, for the round trip, coming from St Louis.

I am currently leaning to driving by myself and having the wife fly in. She may drive back with me or fly, have not decided. I think the selling point for her will be that if we take the Airstream, we will spend more time relaxing. Kicking back in my Trailer and hanging out, I can do.
Kicking back... Relaxing... That's what the Fort is all about. It is nice having DW along for the ride, but she (or DS) won't drive with the trailer on, so flying for them is a good option.

j

What kind of mileage do you get? It cost me over $650 in fuel, for the round trip, coming from St Louis.

Kicking back... Relaxing... That's what the Fort is all about. It is nice having DW along for the ride, but she (or DS) won't drive with the trailer on, so flying for them is a good option.

j
I dont mind driving from Tucson with the DD (DIsney Dogs), and DW. They sleep lots and I drive. After east bound drive and disney month we will stop for Thanksgiving week in NOLA. Next to San Antonia river walk/ hill country and home for Christmas and ripe oranges/lemons/lines,and grape fruit. Who ever said old age sucks, lied. (And I am a recovering cancel survivor)

We have stayed 7 weeks and wish I could do 4 months I dont think a lot stay that long and if they do its mostly during the winter. It is the weekend people that close that site for the week people. The price increases and lack of any discount keep the long term peeps to a minimum. years ago a snowbird rate was giving to those staying over 30 days

j

I was kinda wondering that, too. R/T for us from No Calif (probably 200 miles further than madjohn's drive) is around $1300.00 (F350 diesel pulling 31ft TT). Maybe that $500 was for one-way or they have one of those ultra light TTs.

I hear your DW and DS! I won't 'tow' either. DH tried putting me behind the wheel on a flat, straight, empty-ish stretch of I-40 a few years ago. I managed to keep it between the lines, even when huge 18 wheelers sped by me. I lasted about 5 miles and when I pulled over to swap, the second we came to a stop I suddenly burst into tears and cried with relief for 5 minutes. Neither of us realized how terrified I was! I'm sure I could do it if I absolutely HAD to (like DH had a broken leg or something), but other than that, NO!

We do have an emergency contingency plan that doesn't involve me driving if we ever get 'stranded' that way.

I was kinda wondering that, too. R/T for us from No Calif (probably 200 miles further than madjohn's drive) is around $1300.00 (F350 diesel pulling 31ft TT). Maybe that $500 was for one-way or they have one of those ultra light TTs.

I hear your DW and DS! I won't 'tow' either. DH tried putting me behind the wheel on a flat, straight, empty-ish stretch of I-40 a few years ago. I managed to keep it between the lines, even when huge 18 wheelers sped by me. I lasted about 5 miles and when I pulled over to swap, the second we came to a stop I suddenly burst into tears and cried with relief for 5 minutes. Neither of us realized how terrified I was! I'm sure I could do it if I absolutely HAD to (like DH had a broken leg or something), but other than that, NO!

We do have an emergency contingency plan that doesn't involve me driving if we ever get 'stranded' that way.
We spend about $2,200 in diesel, round trip from Arizona in 45' coach towing and another $150 in toad gas. DW (one bad eye) and dogs (no drivers licenses) refuse to drive so a one man operation. We have travel protection that will have rig driven home if I can't drive. A little spendy but you got do what you got to do. We always make sure all rigs are full when we get to the fort just in case we need a fast get away because of emergancy.

Neither of us realized how terrified I was! I'm sure I could do it if I absolutely HAD to (like DH had a broken leg or something), but other than that, NO!

DW has taken an interest once, in how to hitch up. I've owned 5th wheels for 16 years. DS could probably do it. He helps now.

DW's contingency if something happened to me is "sell it where it sits." :) In reality, we have several friends that would come get it, but she wouldn't make any attempt to move it herself. This trailer is much larger than my old one (42 ft vs 30ft), so I don't blame her for being intimidated by it. I used to pull a 48 ft race car trailer all over the country, so this "little" trailer is no big deal.

Now we just need to get MadJohn's fuel mileage secrets.

j

We have travel protection that will have rig driven home if I can't drive. A little spendy but you got do what you got to do.

Do you mind if I ask what company this travel protection is with? May be spendy, but sounds like it might be worth it. We have a couple of people (my brother and my eldest son) who would probably be able to come 'rescue' us, but insurance is always a good thing!

Now we just need to get MadJohn's fuel mileage secrets.

j

That's for sure!!

Do you mind if I ask what company this travel protection is with? May be spendy, but sounds like it might be worth it. We have a couple of people (my brother and my eldest son) who would probably be able to come 'rescue' us, but insurance is always a good thing!

That's for sure!!
We have two. One is through Good Sam. The other is AAA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter