Long-term speculation: would Disney pick up and leave SoCal?

Jonfw2

DIS Veteran
To the best of my knowledge, Disneyland is the only remaining Disney park in the world that the government has not yet allowed to reopen. It's no secret that the company is irate about this and many of the layoffs are a direct result. Their problems with various levels of government go back much further, as they've battled with the city of Anaheim for years.

Now, add in the lack of space they have for growth and maybe it's fair to ask: would Disney leave Southern California? Would they build elsewhere and slowly, over the course of many years, let Disneyland go to seed?

I realize there are massive issues that would prevent this from happening. It would be a financial disaster, especially with Galaxy's Edge just being completed. Certainly, Disney has demonstrated they can move rides long distances, but the cost would again be astronomical. And then there's the history- Walt's first park, the only one he personally oversaw.

But, his stated mission was that Disney parks would never be finished- they would always continue to evolve and expand. And that seems very tough to envision in California at the moment.

Where else in the united states is there a geography like southern California....many celebrities', artist, musicians and private enterprise have tried to create the model of Disneyland in other geographies in the United states.....and have failed, because they did not have the Southern California climate. From what I have read over the years...Branson seems to be the only success in targeting an audience to visit their theme environment in relationship to values and sentimental values....why even Vegas tried to theme park its strip...how did that work out?

Where else in the united states is there a geography like southern California....many celebrities', artist, musicians and private enterprise have tried to create the model of Disneyland in other geographies in the United states.....and have failed, because they did not have the Southern California climate. From what I have read over the years...Branson seems to be the only success in targeting an audience to visit their theme environment in relationship to values and sentimental values....why even Vegas tried to theme park its strip...how did that work out?

My initial thought was New Mexico. They have a massive movie tax credit which jives with all the film production. And it's hot but not much different than Orlando.

I think Vegas is a tough comparison.

It would definitely be chilly in winter. But not past the point of reason.

I think a lot of people get hung up on *the perfect climate*.....it actually snows at Disneyland Paris and Tokyo Disneyland, and Tokyo Disneyland/ Disneysea is extremely popular. Disney could build a park pretty much anywhere in the US and it will succeed because "it's Disney"

Well....I hear folks have a hard time with spring in Orlando....to the point of suggesting that spring be not suitable for a WDW visit....I think there is a point of reason when it comes to cold....read the christmas Disneyland threads...folks complaining that it is cold at night...so new Mexico would work if Christmas was from Nov to Feb. cold in Oregon shut down Pixieland and Enchanted forest closes end of september when winds pick up...in a forest it is. 20 years ago one private person wanted to build a Disneyland south of Seattle..... thought tarps overhead would work with the weather 8 months of the year

Well....I hear folks have a hard time with spring in Orlando....to the point of suggesting that spring be not suitable for a WDW visit....I think there is a point of reason when it comes to cold....read the christmas Disneyland threads...folks complaining that it is cold at night...so new Mexico would work if Christmas was from Nov to Feb. cold in Oregon shut down Pixieland and Enchanted forest closes end of september when winds pick up...in a forest it is. 20 years ago one private person wanted to build a Disneyland south of Seattle..... thought tarps overhead would work with the weather 8 months of the year
I agree that the climate is ideal in SoCal. But almost nothing else is right now.

I can't see it happening. It is the park where Walt Disney actually walked. The closure won't be forever.
Oh I hear you. The Walt thing is probably a deal breaker. But going back years before Covid, they were already starting to develop and adversarial relationship with the govt out there. And then there’s the space...

You can do Disney with a coat on. Warm weather all year round is not a requirement :P It will never happen, but if in the hypothetical world where you could relocate a themepark, you have to look at the amount of rain and if it's warm or cold rain. That in combination with wind has more impact than temperature or the occasional snow (which just adds a layer of extra charm :) )

I've just returned from Disneyland Paris and we actually discussed that one of the downsides of California and Florida is that you don't have the changing of the seasons like we have in Paris or in Tokyo.

If you could and want to relocate a themepark, I would look at places where the mentality is liberal and open-minded. Also, I would add near a large city, easy to reach by plane (good infrastructure), preferably centrally located. And a large piece of flat land, this was one of the requirements when they searched a location in Europe.

The only way I could see it happening if an earthquake destroys Disneyland beyond repair.

Last edited:
Moving simple rides "could" be one thing, but moving entire themed lands like Carsland, Galaxy's Edge, New Orleans Square etc would be super expensive when the land is built around a very complex ride (Radiator, ROTR/MF, Haunted Mansion & Pirates, etc). I don't see any way they could leave California without huge losses of invested capital, and it would have to get absolutely terrible in CA economically/politically/etc before it would be worth it. If it got to that point in CA I'd guess the entire country would be toast. I would love for them to build a 3rd destination somewhere in the US, but they've probably crunched the numbers and realized any gain there would like come at the cannibalized expense of Anaheim and Florida. That's why growth has been oversees: Europe, Japan, China. I'd bet Disney is forever-rooted in Anaheim and Orlando, and any US growth will be additions in those two areas, especially Florida.

Fun question to think about though! :)

It has taken 65 years and billions of $ to get Disneyland to where it is today not to mention the hopes and dreams of a myriad of different people, cast members, imagineers, all of us Disney lovers and of Coarse Walt himself. You can't just snap your fingers and make the magic that is Disneyland. Disneyland is not going ANYWHERE.

Shanghi Disney cost what? 5.5 billion dollars to build. Disney can't afford to put out that kind of capital in this crazy time, so they are not going to build a new park somewhere anytime soon, and the cost and logistics of actually "moving" Disneyland somewhere between nightmare and OMG are you crazy to do IMO.

Disneyland WILL reopen eventually, we will all be able to walk down main street eventually and I for one will be shedding a joyful tear when that time comes.

Have Faith all our happy place will be back better then ever.

The history of Walt’s park, the normally strong local economy, tourist industry, and the close proximity to the studio....

There is no way they jump ship and run.

There is no way that DL would ever leave Anaheim. Think of the costs to wind down the current parks alone. Those would run into the hundreds of millions. Then opening a comparable park would cost at least $500M and more likely $1B. The process would take at least two years. By that time Disney would be a few billion into it and the imminent COVID threat would likely have passed. Moreover, the density of the population here is a large contributor to DL's success as is brisk tourism. Many people come to visit Hollywood and, well, why not make the thirty-mile drive down to DL for a day or two? That's how I got hooked ;-). As other posters have pointed out, this is the original park; the park that Walt built; the park where it all started. That's too valuable a commodity to surrender. Relocation is not a practical short or even medium-term solution. It's not a plausible threat to the governor, it's not a bargaining chip, it's not even remotely feasible.

Lastly, consider if DL did move to some place in New Mexico. The population of that state is a mere fifth of the population of LA County alone. What if they built it and attendance was moderate but never came to be what it was (and will continue to be) in SoCal? I'll bet that top-tier AP sales would comprise about a quarter of what they are for Anaheim.

Is DL management annoyed? Of course. Are many of us? Absolutely. But in a year from now, things will be markedly different. Given the pandemic, it wouldn't surprise me if it took a year simply to begin construction on a new park let alone open one.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter