Look Honey They are Unshrinking Cooke's Menu - A Nov. 2019 Dining Report updated 5/03 Homecomin dinner

Day 3 11/14 Breakfast with Pooh & Co. and a Magic Kingdom morning

We had an 8:15am ADR today at Crystal Palace. Fortunately DH is an early riser and I can be to when needed ( leftover from needing to be a work by 7:00). We had a short wait for our bus and we're at MK by 7:15.
20191114_071245.jpg

It was dry leaving POFQ but it was raining at MK. No I didn't find the pot of gold but took the rainbow as a good omen.
They had as many of us as possible hang in the tunnel under the train station to stay out of the rain . We got released about 7:40 and walked up to CP. We checked in and got seated 10 minutes early. By the time we got in the rain had stopped.

My first plate.
20191114_081229.jpg

In front a Ham & cheese Omelette with peppers and onions & Cheesy Potatoes casserole. In the back Strawberries, Pineapple, Cottage Cheese, Roasted potatoes and Smoked Sausage.
The omelette is cooked to order & the potato casserole ( which is like one I make for family Christmas party, my late MIL's recipe) was hot and the spuds were tender. My favorites were the Smoked Sausage ( so much so that I skipped the normal sausage ) & Roasted potatoes. My note taking wasn't the best this morning but one if not both of them had onions & peppers. The potatoes were cooked perfectly . Unlike some past visits the fruit was fresh.
There was another plate with some pastries, more smoked sausage, potatoes, fruit , a mini-Mickey waffle & a few other things. This was our first visit since the advent of alcohol. However it was too early for me to partake since but maybe next time . Perhaps for dessert before we leave :thumbsup2.
I don't have our waitress's name but she was very good in getting us refills, clearing plates and getting our check in a timely fashion. The characters all came around & we were out in an hour. Based on the crowd waiting outside at 9:10 I think we will stick with our early strategy.
We did get to see the end of the opening show at the castle.
20191114_085802.jpg

I understand why they moved it inside from the entrance. But I miss the show at the front.

We wandered over to Fantasyland to do some rides and saw some blue skies 😁.
20191114_090836.jpg

In order to get a certain song out of our head
20200107_100827.jpg

we then went over to Adventureland to get the antidote.
20200107_100737.jpg
After some more time Adventureland and Main Street we left MK . The afternoon crowd was starting to arrive so we made our way to DS to find some lunch.

Up next Apps at Homecomin & dinner at Yachtsman.

Last edited:
Oh these look and sounds great. I keep seeing so many good things about Polite Pig we'll have to get there some time
You do need to go if you enjoy BBQ.
Yum! This sounds delicious. What a great combination of flavors.
It is , we have had both the entree & sandwich version at WPE multiple times. Also most as good as the one we have had in Puck's regular restaurants .
Me too! A. I don't like heights either and B. I was there routing for another team once and we had beers and paper and my favorite batteries thrown at us :P
My apologies for your less then "Brotherly Love" experiences at the old Vet.

So glad the skies cleared for you at MK. I love the pre-park opening breakfasts at BOG (mainly because I'm not prepared to pay buffet prices as we don't eat big at breakfast). They are the only time I get early to the park and even then I schedule them early in our trips when jet-lag plays it's part in getting us up at the crack of dawn no matter how much we try to sleep!😂

So glad the skies cleared for you at MK. I love the pre-park opening breakfasts at BOG (mainly because I'm not prepared to pay buffet prices as we don't eat big at breakfast). They are the only time I get early to the park and even then I schedule them early in our trips when jet-lag plays it's part in getting us up at the crack of dawn no matter how much we try to sleep!😂
r
I always get us the early CP in order to get in early , amazing what you can get done. Fortunately ( or unfortunately depending on your POV ) DH is an early riser and I am a semi one 😉 but motivated at WDW in order to beat the crowds

Day 3 11/14 Apps for lunch at Chef Art's

While on the way to DS we decided where to go for lunch. We were doing steak for dinner at Yachtman so we didn't want a big lunch. We figured sharing an Appetizer or 2 at Homecomin would be a good choice.
We were able to get a booth by the bar. The bartender was our server and she did a great job checking on us even with an almost full bar . DH got a soda and while I was tempted to try one of the Moonshine beverage I stuck with a beer so I wouldn't fall asleep.

20191114_122713.jpg

Thigh High Biscuits, boneless fried chicken thigh drizzled on cheddar cheese biscuits with hot honey served with bread n butter pickles. The order comes with 3 but someone was hungry before I had a chance to take a photo.😉. The chicken was tender, not at all dry and had the right amount of the hot honey applied. I dislike it when too much sauce is applied & the bread falls apart. The biscuits went well with the chicken. They were soft but didn't fall apart and were not overly cheesy tasting. The hot honey had a good balance of heat & sweet The only thing I would change is the pickles . I enjoyed the flavors but they are sliced almost paper-thin and I like a little thicker slice.

20191117_183637.jpg

Hush puppies with pimento cheese & red jalapeño jelly
What can I say about the hush puppies other than we enjoyed them so much we ordered them again a few days later at dinner.:thumbsup2. DH ate his plan but I liked the mix of the jelly with the cheese.

After lunch we got the boat back to POFQ to chill for a bit
20191114_151147.jpg
before heading to Yacht Club for dinner at Yachtman Steakhouse.

Those thigh high biscuits are so my favorite thing at Homecoming. I've stopped ordering entrees and just getting those instead. So good!

Homecoming's food looks great. I had to look up what hush puppies were (they are a brand of shoe in the UK). They sound like something I'd enjoy and the chicken biscuits are right up my street! Definitely need to pay a visit on our next trip to DS :)

Those thigh high biscuits are so my favorite thing at Homecoming. I've stopped ordering entrees and just getting those instead. So good!
They will now be my go-to lunch option at Homecomin.
Homecoming's food looks great. I had to look up what hush puppies were (they are a brand of shoe in the UK). They sound like something I'd enjoy and the chicken biscuits are right up my street! Definitely need to pay a visit on our next trip to DS :)

You need to do DS & try hushpuppies on your next visit. So many great options in DS for food .I have always enjoyed hushpuppies. Most things deep fried taste great & they are no exception. Although I have never done a fried candy bar. Remember the first time my Sis & I saw them listed at a Chip shop in Scotland .We could never bring ourselves to try one.

I have never done a fried candy bar. Remember the first time my Sis & I saw them listed at a Chip shop in Scotland .We could never bring ourselves to try one.
I've never done one either! Much as I love fried food and chocolate bars-the idea of combining them sounds a bit yuck!

Day 3 11/14 Dinner at the Yachtsman

We cleaned up then headed to the Yacht Club for our dinner at Yachtsman Steakhouse. We were early so we stopped at Crew's Cup for a pre-dinner drink. We overheard a waiter telling another couple there had been a few changes so the question arise would we like them?

We were seated on time and waited to see if our luck in servers would continue. Our last 5 visits we have had either Oscar or Susan who are fantastic. Sadly our luck ended 😔 the lady we had was ok & didn't do anything wrong. But IMHO & DH's wasn't up to their level.
I ordered a Cakebread Chardonnay and our bread service arrived

20191114_182039.jpg

Sourdough & Onion rolls 😋 with Roasted Garlic and Sea Salted Butter. I think if they changed this there would be an uproar on the various Disney blogs. We were good & didn't fill-up on the rolls
We shared two starters Lobster Bisque and Casear Salad.

20191114_182742.jpg

20200124_212859.jpg

The waiter at Crew's Cup had told the other couple the Bisque had changed. It still tasted great ,the only difference I noticed were they went from a thin long crouton to a few small biscuits.
The salad had replaced the Coppa Secca ( a dried Cappicolla ) to house made Pancetta & Focaccia crouton for Brioche one . I prefer the prior version but the lettuce & dressing were very good.

For our entree we got Prime Rib and the Filet Mignon. Each came with a choice if an Accompaniment Selection. DH went with the Mashed Potatoes & I selected the Potato-Leek Gratin. The other options were a Sweet Potato Casserole, French Fried Potatoes & Broccolini.
When they arrived we realized DH had no knife & asked our waitress for one. Fortunately I had one so we shared . If we waited for her to return I would have been half way done before he started :confused3?

20200124_212956.jpg

Prime Rib with Au Jus & Horseradish Sauce . Yes the Mashed Potatoes are as large as they look.
20191114_185725.jpg

20191114_185734.jpg

My Filet and Potato Gratin. The steak now comes with a Truffled butter Cognac Sauce . I asked for it on the side as I am not a fan of anything Truffled flavor. I did try it but didn't like it. Bring back the previous Red Wine sauce. Not sure what was going on with the Greens on either of our entrees.
My steak was cooked to order ( Medium) despite the brunt appearance in the photo & was tender . DH's had a fat pocket but the overall was very good. I had read reports of steaks being overly salty but that wasn't our experience.

The Mashed Potatoes were very good but the the Gratin was excellent. The right balance of cheesiness & leek flavor with hot tender spuds. Both sides would have been enough to share. We agreed next time we would share the Gratin & take the Broccolini or whatever veggie option .
I ordered a second glass of wine , this time a Decoy by Duckhorn Pinot Noir.
20191114_185744.jpg

Usually I get Creme Bruele for dessert, but they had a "Seasonal" version . The version came with a Cranberry Compote & Pumpkin Seed Brittle. So I just said No.
Overall it was a very good meal but not our best at YSH. The menu changes weren't a deal changer ( unlike Chef's de France dumping the lunch menu a few years ago) so we will be back . Hopefully our luck with servers will return.

We went back to POFQ & Mardi Grogs was still open so we stopped for a substitute
dessert
20191114_200736.jpg

Up next a Star Trek fan checks out that "other" Sci-fi franchise's new land 😉

Attachments

• 20191114_185744.jpg
    20191114_185744.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 1
Enjoying your report! I can relate to your taste in wines! Personally I could have eaten that whole roasted garlic and been happy. Sorry there were some disappointments. Looking forward to hearing more!

Sorry to hear that Yachtsman wasn't completely up to par. We've found it hit or miss too, especially the service. But yes that potato gratin is s thing of beauty!

Have you all tried Shulas before? We found it to be a far superior experience in both quality and service

Enjoying your report! I can relate to your taste in wines! Personally I could have eaten that whole roasted garlic and been happy. Sorry there were some disappointments. Looking forward to hearing more!

Your Yachtsman dinner looks decent. Sorry it wasn't as good for you as previous visits.
Thanks . We had a run of six outstanding meals at YSH . I guess we were due for one that didn't hit on all cylinders.

Yeah, really. Have to say, the presentation overall looked a bit off?

It was certainly was off. :sad2: The below pictures from our November 2017 visit are what I was expected our entrees to look like. The silly pieces of greens aren't as noticeable when you have Onion Rings 😋20171223_192555.jpg20171223_192518.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!