looking for a comfortable dvc resort for handicap.?

nygolfpro

Earning My Ears
Mother in law uses electric wheelchair looking for comfortable DVC resort paralyzed from the waist down....help

You might want to check out some of the threads on the Disabilities board here on the DIS.

Wheelchair/Handicapped Accessible Room Locations and Measurements
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1180437

And Handicapped rooms
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=17895523

All of the DVC resorts have Handicapped accessible rooms available in limited numbers. Some rooms come equipped with roll in showers and some with handicapped accessible tubs. The bed in the master bedroom is lower, and the kitchen stove is HA with the knobs on the front. I'm not really sure what else is available though. The above threads will probably give you more details.

For my adult DS we love the 2 bedroom at Bay Lake Towers. DS requires a caregiver at all times. At BLT you can get a patient lift under the bed and we like the way the living room is laid out. That being said we most always stay at the Boardwalk. Not our favorite 2 bedroom. The living room feels tight and it is hard if not impossible depending on which lift we rent to get the legs of the lift under the bed. We love love love the location of BWV. We can go to our 2 favorite parks without dealing with the busing and the grumpy people who feel we get priority because he is in a wheelchair when loading on the bus. Access to alot of food service's.. Enjoyable and easy to access entertainment on the Boardwalk in the evening. We can shop at all the Boardwalk shops along with BC and YC and short walk to Swan and Dolphin. He is a full size adult with a tilt in space wheelchair and have not had any trouble getting around a room in Kidani,Jambo,BLT,BWV,SSR... We like SSR also for easy access to Downtown Disney and a spa if we are doing a non park get away. All DVC could have done a much better job with the roll in showers. Really wish they were a little larger but then again DS requires a caregiver to shower him so maybe they work fine for someone who can shower alone. I would say which ever area of Disney you will be spending the most time enjoying thats where you should get a room. For us it is the Epcot/Studios area so we love the 2BR standard view. Susan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter