Looking for a new dessert..

kimblebee

now my thoughts will be worth 5 cents
I am in charge of dessert for our Mother’s Day dinner and I’m looking to try something new.

Yes, I could easily google to find something but it’s better to have recommendations from real people.

There will be 10 of in total. My dad doesn’t really like lemon and my mom doesn’t eat chocolate anything. I’m ok with something that is labour intensive but I don’t want something that requires 1/4t of the most obscure ingredient that makes or breaks the whole recipe. We can get berries and the like now but nothing is in season so I don’t want to be spending $$$ for subpar berries. Oh, my mom doesn’t like peppermint either.

Given all that, do you have any tried and true recipes?

**ETA- don’t know how this slipped my mind but I have a tree but allergy and so I can’t cook with them and get sneezy even being in a room where people are
eating them.

Last edited:
Depends... are you looking for something fancy, or just a favorite dessert? Trifle, blueberry pie (frozen berries), cherry pie, creme brûlée, bread pudding, panna cotta are some of our favorite.

Depends... are you looking for something fancy, or just a favorite dessert? Trifle, blueberry pie (frozen berries), cherry pie, creme brûlée, bread pudding, panna cotta are some of our favorite.

It doesn’t have to be fancy. In fact, the less fancy the better.

I used to be able to make pies from scratch but now, with my wrist having arthritis :-)crazy2:) I cant knead or roll like I used to.

I’m thinking more a slice of some type.

Apple pie is my go-to, with vanilla ice cream.

But if you want something "different" - this looks good:

I haven't made it yet myself...but it has no lemon, chocolate, or peppermint!

This is a definite contender. It might be a bit too sweet but I’ll see.

I grew up calling hundreds and thousands dollies because I couldn’t say lollies (what my nana called them) and it just stuck.

I made this one last week, & my family loved it.

No lemon, no chocolate, no peppermint!!

The description at the link says it's good for breakfasts or brunches, but it's sweet enough (w/o being too sweet) that it could be a nice baked dessert as well - depending on the rest of the meal. Plus, w/ the sprinkled powder sugar, it's a pretty dessert too.

It ends up being kind of like a berry bread pudding. (Oh, & I made it w/ mixed frozen berries, but you can use fresh or a mix of fresh & frozen. I purchased the croissants from my local grocery store's bakery.)

Because of the berries & the airiness of the croissants, it fits the spring season as well.

https://www.happygoluckyblog.com/berry-croissant-bake/

EDITED TO ADD - Oh, & I doubled the recipe & baked it in a 9 x 13 dish!

Last edited:
Maybe I should add that we’re having pork tenderloin for supper. I know it’s not super important but I grew up needing to match the dessert to the meal.

Okay, you said it doesn't have to be fancy, so this is my go-to recipe for family gatherings.

Peach Cobbler

This is great for potlucks and is wonderful served with vanilla ice cream.

2 large cans (28oz. each) sliced peaches in juice or light syrup, drain one can
1 box of white cake mix
1 cup melted, salted butter
Sprinkle of cinnamon, optional

Pour peaches into 9x13-inch baking pan and sprinkle cake mix over top. Sprinkle with a bit of cinnamon, if desired. Pour butter over top of cake mix. Do not stir! Bake at 350 F for 30-45 minutes or until golden brown.

Is key lime pie too close to lemon? It’s my favorite and my dh’s.
It’s also super easy.

This is another recipe that I make quite often for potlucks or larger gatherings. I also think that a pineapple upside down cake might meet your criteria.

Cherry Coffee Cake Bars

1 cup butter
1-1/4 cup sugar
4 eggs
1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
3 cups flour
2 cans cherry or blueberry pie filling

Glaze:

1 cup icing sugar
1 Tbsp. butter, melted
2 Tbsp. milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla or almond flavouring (optional)

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time. Blend in all remaining ingredients except filling. Put two-thirds of batter in a 10x15" pan (cookie sheet). Spread on pie filling. Drop remaining batter by spoonfuls over top, allowing the colorful pie filling to show through the blobs. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes at 350F. Glaze with 1 cup icing sugar, 1 Tbsp. butter, 2 Tbsp. milk, and flavouring, if desired. Combine well and drizzle on while the cake is hot.

This is a great, easy recipe for bar dessert. You can swap out the raspberry jam for any flavor jam. I have used fig, orange, apricot, strawberry, etc.

I make mine in my KitchenAid mixer.

MJ

Attachments

• RASPBERRY BAR COOKIES.pdf
    31.8 KB · Views: 23
Maybe I should add that we’re having pork tenderloin for supper. I know it’s not super important but I grew up needing to match the dessert to the meal.
::yes:: Well of course you do hon - we're not savages after all. :rotfl:

In my often-not-so-humble opinion ;) there are some great suggestions here but given the season, I'd definitely go with something fruity. I like the peach cobbler idea of @Frozen Canuck a lot. Apples or apricots also go really great with pork so even a humble apple crisp with vanilla ice cream would be a good match. And I feel you completely on how miserable it is to buy fruit and berries at this time of year. If you have to go that route though, I'd try to use frozen ones because they're always harvested ripe and have way better flavor if fresh texture isn't 100% necessary.

Banana Pudding. So easy and so yummy ::yes::

Nilla wafers layering the bottom of dish, next up-sliced bananas, and then vanilla pudding poured over top (cooked, not instant so it softens up the cookies). Top off with cool whip or Redi-whip when you’re serving it.

I like mine cold but some people prefer it warmed up. You can also do meringue instead of cool whip. It looks prettier that way but I love me some cool whip so that’s the way I go :wave:

I usually do a strawberry pound cake trifle. It's always a hit. Just layer store bought pound cake cut into cubes, vanilla pudding, and strawberries (can be frozen). Put cool whip on top and its done. Can also top with bananas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter