Looking for a new dessert..

Maybe I should add that we’re having pork tenderloin for supper. I know it’s not super important but I grew up needing to match the dessert to the meal.

This is another recipe that I make quite often for potlucks or larger gatherings. I also think that a pineapple upside down cake might meet your criteria.

Cherry Coffee Cake Bars

1 cup butter
1-1/4 cup sugar
4 eggs
1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
3 cups flour
2 cans cherry or blueberry pie filling

Glaze:

1 cup icing sugar
1 Tbsp. butter, melted
2 Tbsp. milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla or almond flavouring (optional)

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time. Blend in all remaining ingredients except filling. Put two-thirds of batter in a 10x15" pan (cookie sheet). Spread on pie filling. Drop remaining batter by spoonfuls over top, allowing the colorful pie filling to show through the blobs. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes at 350F. Glaze with 1 cup icing sugar, 1 Tbsp. butter, 2 Tbsp. milk, and flavouring, if desired. Combine well and drizzle on while the cake is hot.

Pork goes very well with cherries. If you go that route, I’d also serve a savory cherry sauce with the pork tenderloin. Here’s a good recipe...

CHERRY SAUCE:
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1/2 medium shallot finely chopped
  • 1 cup fresh or frozen tart cherries pitted and halved
  • 1/3 cup dry red wine
  • 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
  • Kosher Salt

Just made a carrot cake w/cream cheese frosting this weekend for a potluck and it disappeared! I love moist cakes and this one was. Had carrots, pineapple, coconut and nuts (you could skip the nuts) and orange juice for water. Yummy!

It doesn’t have to be fancy. In fact, the less fancy the better.

I used to be able to make pies from scratch but now, with my wrist having arthritis :-)crazy2:) I cant knead or roll like I used to.

I’m thinking more a slice of some type.

I cheat. I used the Pillsbury refrigerated crusts in the red box. I like the brand name ones better than the store brand. I think they are flakier, but that might just be me being flaky, right? They are just the right size for my pie plate, almost no rolling involved. I make a mean pie crust from scratch, but sometimes there just aren't enough hours in the day (or ambition in my body)!

Maybe a cobbler or crisp? Frozen berries work just as well as fresh, especially as it's not berry season yet (we won't have fresh, nice strawberries until late June/early July).

Good Morning @kimblebee - what did you decide to make for dessert tomorrow? Enquiring minds...:laughing:

I can’t find it, i think it’s on page one. It’s the recipe that was an attachment. The one with jam in the middle and oats.

Whatever it is, I hope she made it already, she's going to be in the ER all day! :snail:

Please don’t jinx me lol

The plan is to make it tonight or tomorrow morning.

I can’t find it, i think it’s on page one. It’s the recipe that was an attachment. The one with jam in the middle and oats.

Please don’t jinx me lol

The plan is to make it tonight or tomorrow morning.
:confused: I though the plan was to visit a walk-in clinic this morning? I know this is the wrong thread but given that your problem isn't acute I agree the ER is not the right play. Go to the walk-in. If by any chance the GP feels your condition is urgent (s)he will send you to the ER forthwith and "call you in" so they are waiting for you. If not, you'll either be referred back to your own primary care person for follow up or have the necessary diagnostics scheduled. Not sure about Winnipeg but if one presents in ER here for a non-urgent issue that requires diagnostics, they are not handled immediately at the hospital but are referred for scheduling in the normal way. (Immediate things like infections notwithstanding - ER will give you meds and send you on your way.)

:confused: I though the plan was to visit a walk-in clinic this morning? I know this is the wrong thread but given that your problem isn't acute I agree the ER is not the right play. Go to the walk-in. If by any chance the GP feels your condition is urgent (s)he will send you to the ER forthwith and "call you in" so they are waiting for you. If not, you'll either be referred back to your own primary care person for follow up or have the necessary diagnostics scheduled. Not sure about Winnipeg but if one presents in ER here for a non-urgent issue that requires diagnostics, they are not handled immediately at the hospital but are referred for scheduling in the normal way. (Immediate things like infections notwithstanding - ER will give you meds and send you on your way.)

I am at an urgent care center that is part of the hospital. It’s like a walk in clinic. It’s not part of the regular ER.

I’ll update on my other thread

I am at an urgent care center that is part of the hospital. It’s like a walk in clinic. It’s not part of the regular ER.

I’ll update on my other thread
Read it - sounds like a great outcome, all things considered. I'm so glad for you. :flower3:

And my bad - I realize now you meant you were making the dessert tonight or tomorrow morning. :blush:

Banana cream pie in a bowl. Crushed graham crackers, sliced bananas, banana pudding, and cool whip. Layer it up.

Snickers Salad. Snickers bites, Diced Granny Smith Apples, & Cool Whip. Mix and enjoy,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!