Looking for affordable, 1-night stay near Disney

tlmadden73

DIS Veteran
I am looking for a hotel that is within an hour or so of the resort (coming down I-95 and I-4) to stay on a Saturday night before our check-in of Sunday (end of March).

Am I better at staying at chain hotel south of Jacksonville or near Daytona or are there affordable options near the resort? I've seen some places on Priceline that seem to be on 192, but not sure the quality of them (don't know if I care too much for just a bed .. just don't want a sketchy roach motel .. as we would be arriving late and leaving early)

I am looking to basically, get up . .drive an hour at most and go straight to Animal Kingdom for the day.

What do most of you do for staying the night before your Disney Resort stay?

(Normally we stay in Georgia (3-4 hours) and arrive around noon and just go to Disney Springs, but this time I want to hit a park on the first day, because our Disney Springs day will be day 2 (when my sister's family arrives.

Like for example -- I see a priceline "express deal" for a $34/night .. for a 3 star hotel in the "Disney Maingate-West area (near Animal Kingdom)" ..
That seems too good to be true. Is it?

I've worked in and followed the hospitality industry for decades. Unlike a lot of markets, Orlando hotel rates are highly variable. It's not unusual for rates at the same hotel to vary by hundreds of dollars. For example, once I was staying at the Hilton Lake Buena Vista (across from Disney Springs) for around $80. I tried to extend by a night and they were asking about $260 for my base-level room.

So, the exact date does matter. But, since it's a Saturday at the end of March, that will likely be a high demand night.

While some people okay with opaque hotel sites like Priceline, I'm not much of a fan. The lack of knowing the actual hotel until purchase is less of a problem for me than the non-changeable, non-refundable aspect. Although it varies depending upon the hotel, I also don't like the fact that some places purposely hand out the "worst" rooms to guests booking via opaque sites. Finally, don't forget that opaque hotels might still charge extra for parking and/or resort fees.

Assuming we're talking about Saturday, March 30th, I pulled up availability. None of the off-site hotels where I usually stay are reasonably priced. Places I've stayed for well under $100 are all $150+. If you want to avoid roach motels, you'll probably need to up your budget to at least $100.

None of the major upscale chains (Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt) are showing what I would consider to be deals for that night in either Daytona or Orlando. You're looking at $130ish if you want a cancelable, refundable reservation.

Some of the other regulars on this forum will probably be around to provide their opinions in the next day or so. Hopefully someone can help steer you to a "nicer" 2-star hotel in Kissimmee.

You could look at the Townesuites at Flamingo Crossings, they often have priceline offers on there and its a very nice hotel for the money. We stayed for just over $80 per night for a week inclusive of fees and taxes. Close, well appointed and in budget! Not sure for a sat though?

You could look at the Townesuites at Flamingo Crossings, they often have priceline offers on there and its a very nice hotel for the money. We stayed for just over $80 per night for a week inclusive of fees and taxes. Close, well appointed and in budget! Not sure for a sat though?

That hotel is $187 non-refundable or $208 changeable/cancelable for March 30, 2019. The adjacent SpringHill Suites is $153 non-refundable or $170 changeable/cancelable.

Since we don't really know which Saturday is needed, I went back a week. Rates at both of those Flamingo Crossings hotels are identical: $196 non-refundable or $218 changeable/cancelable.

Finding any sort of deal on a one-night Saturday stay during Spring Break season is a tall order.

You don't say where your are coming from... but your better overnight location is away from orlando and out off hwy 27 in Clermont area... cleaner safer and less expensive and 20 mile to Disney

Are we looking for a hotel room for March 30th?
The previous weekend - March 23rd. I live about 9 hours away, so I usually drive to southern Georgia and stay there .. and finish the trip up the next morning.
But since we have the whole Saturday to drive, I was hoping to drive much closer and just stay a quick night somewhere and hit a park on Sunday morning before we check-in at our Disney resort.
We are staying at a moderate, so anything less than $200/night saves me money for a place we just need to sleep for 8 hours.

You don't say where your are coming from... but your better overnight location is away from orlando and out off hwy 27 in Clermont area... cleaner safer and less expensive and 20 mile to Disney

Coming from North Carolina -- so straight down I-95 until we hit Daytona.

Also . I am curious what this $34/night "3-star" hotel Priceline Express deal would get me. If anyone has ever done that ..

I can't imagine a 3-star hotel (which would be equivalent to .. a Courtyar Marriot or something) only being that much on a Saturday night. What "3-star" hotels are in the Maingate West area? I know you don't get to choose the hotel with these deals, but at $34 .. and a "3-star" hotel .. seems worth the gamble. They give you a map, so it isn't going to be off the beaten path and you would think it won't be a roach motel if it is 3-star rated.

I looked at the 2.5 star hotel express deals -- (which are $52/night) and it seems like I would just get one of these four hotels: all on 192 just west of the main entrance to WDW - very near Animal Kingdom. (I've stayed at condos west of there and shopped there (at a giant Walmart) -- so I am familiar with that general area - just not sure the "quality" of those hotels - which .. I may not care TOO much if I am just staying there for a night) and probably arriving after dark with sleepy kids)
Quality Inn - Maingate
Quality Inn and Suites - Kissimmee
Ramada
Destiny Palms

we stayed at the Quality Inn and Suites Kissimmee by the Lake for one night. It was totally fine. For your night it is $84.

we stayed at the Quality Inn and Suites Kissimmee by the Lake for one night. It was totally fine. For your night it is $84.
Well .. that seems to be a good deal ... considering most "off the freeway" chain 2.5 star hotels (Comfort Suites, Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn, LaQuinta, etc.) are rarely under $100.

I also found a Quality Inn and Suites Kissimmee by the Parks (literally on the same road (just south of 192) you'd take to go the back way to AK) for like $79.

I may go for it .. if I feel I can risk the no cancellation.

Getting into and through Orlando in one day (due to that I-4 traffic .. feels like an hour of the entire trip is that last 20 miles through the corridor).. could mean getting in late (for young kids).

Thanks for all the feedback.

Well .. that seems to be a good deal ... considering most "off the freeway" chain 2.5 star hotels (Comfort Suites, Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn, LaQuinta, etc.) are rarely under $100.

I also found a Quality Inn and Suites Kissimmee by the Parks (literally on the same road (just south of 192) you'd take to go the back way to AK) for like $79.

I may go for it .. if I feel I can risk the no cancellation.

Getting into and through Orlando in one day (due to that I-4 traffic .. feels like an hour of the entire trip is that last 20 miles through the corridor).. could mean getting in late (for young kids).

Thanks for all the feedback.

I can attest that the Quality Inn by the Parks is terrific! Clean, clean, clean! Comfortable rooms, excellent customer service, nice pool area, terrific complimentary breakfast.

Also . I am curious what this $34/night "3-star" hotel Priceline Express deal would get me. If anyone has ever done that ..

I can't imagine a 3-star hotel (which would be equivalent to .. a Courtyar Marriot or something) only being that much on a Saturday night. What "3-star" hotels are in the Maingate West area? I know you don't get to choose the hotel with these deals, but at $34 .. and a "3-star" hotel .. seems worth the gamble. They give you a map, so it isn't going to be off the beaten path and you would think it won't be a roach motel if it is 3-star rated.

I looked at the 2.5 star hotel express deals -- (which are $52/night) and it seems like I would just get one of these four hotels: all on 192 just west of the main entrance to WDW - very near Animal Kingdom. (I've stayed at condos west of there and shopped there (at a giant Walmart) -- so I am familiar with that general area - just not sure the "quality" of those hotels - which .. I may not care TOO much if I am just staying there for a night) and probably arriving after dark with sleepy kids)
Quality Inn - Maingate
Quality Inn and Suites - Kissimmee
Ramada
Destiny Palms

You could post your question on the Priceline thread. Both Priceline & Hotwire deals are discussed there. Perhaps someone can solve this mystery!

I can attest that the Quality Inn by the Parks is terrific! Clean, clean, clean! Comfortable rooms, excellent customer service, nice pool area, terrific complimentary breakfast.
I may go that route then .. $89/night (after taxes) (on Expedia) is probably $10-20 cheaper than I would find at comparable hotels along the interstate an hour or two away. I just have the downside of not being able to cancel it at that price.

Heck .. if I wasn't meeting my sister's family there at Port Orleans, maybe I would just stay there for the entire trip. You could probably get to the parks from there faster than most of the resort buses.

Maybe I will gamble with that Priceline express deal too -- *shrug* just one night. I've stayed in some mediocre to bad hotels -- one night won't break us.

Thanks for the info about Quality Inn by the parks. I have thought about trying it before for our one night stay but never did. A fellow Disboard member gave Red Lion such a rave review that I chose that instead and it became my "Go To Hotel" for arrival night. Last year we did Buena Vista suites since it offered free hot breakfast and I got a good rate. It wasn't bad but it wasn't FANTASTIC either. I always try for Embassy in LBV but the season I travel, it is way above budget for one night. I will have to add Quality Inn by the Parks on my list of possibilities. Thanks for the info.

There is almost always a last minute deal to be had at one of the spots on I-drive... it’s not going to be glorious but I’ve had more than one $24.99 night at the Rosen Inn up by wet and wild.

So I just basically got a free room plus 10$

Book on choice com
Find lower rate
They match rate
Give you 50 gift card

So I found the lower rate before I booked
Quality inn eastgate
Rate shows 54 or something like that
Easyclicktravel website
Has the rate at 34 or 40 pay at hotel
They matched it 37 pay at hotel and I'm getting a gift card for 50 thirty days after stay.

Really been happy with choice website
Expedia matches rates too

Quality Inn - Maingate
Quality Inn and Suites -

There are threads called priceline/hotwire
What people got on there or you can repost this question on there

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter