Looking for an inexpensive resort in the Dominican Republic for the first

mjkacmom

DIS Veteran
week in July. Dd21 and her boyfriend really wanted to go to Thailand this summer, but flights are so expensive. They are poor college students, looking for a nice beach break. An AI would be nice, but he doesn’t drink alcohol.

The DR is an ok place to go in the middle of winter when you need an inexpensive hit of sun when you live in a cold snowy environment. Even then it would be a last resort if you can’t afford a better option. For July why not just pick a nice beach right at home for a cheaper and much nicer option.

I would NEVER go there unless staying at an all inclusive resort
with transportation provided from the airport.
AND I would not leave the resort.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/dominican-republic-travel-advisory.html

Poor college students = do a nice beach in US or some other cool US destination, while keeping costs down. So much here to do.

Both my kids traveled internationally as college students, so I get the desire, but there is lots to consider and finances was always a big factor.

Agree with PPs. Being July and being they wouldn't benefit from all inclusive, the DR is not worth the cost, international travel hassle, language barrier, and lack of potable water. I'd go to Clearwater instead.

I would NEVER go there unless staying at an all inclusive resort
with transportation provided from the airport.
AND I would not leave the resort.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/dominican-republic-travel-advisory.html

Poor college students = do a nice beach in US or some other cool US destination, while keeping costs down. So much here to do.

Both my kids traveled internationally as college students, so I get the desire, but there is lots to consider and finances was always a big factor.

Some of the all inclusive resorts aren't even safe havens. Even at some of the all inclusive resorts, the beach isn't private.

Agree with PPs. Being July and being they wouldn't benefit from all inclusive, the DR is not worth the cost, international travel hassle, language barrier, and lack of potable water. I'd go to Clearwater instead.

I almost forgot yeah. You have to check the lids of your bottled water. They'll refill bottles with tap. Of course that happens in Las Vegas too. But well the tap water in Vegas is a weeeeeee bit better than the tap water in DR.

Thanks everyone! Starting to look at Florida. We are an hour from the jersey shore, go all of the time. This is her last week off for a couple of years, so she wants to go somewhere, and she loves the beach. Where would be a good gulf coast beach with a nightlife? What airport?

Some of the all inclusive resorts aren't even safe havens. Even at some of the all inclusive resorts, the beach isn't private.

Oh I hear you, you couldn't pay me to go there, just saying if they were dead set on it, at least do what you can to protect yourself.

Thanks everyone! Starting to look at Florida. We are an hour from the jersey shore, go all of the time. This is her last week off for a couple of years, so she wants to go somewhere, and she loves the beach. Where would be a good gulf coast beach with a nightlife? What airport?

Do they just want to lounge on the beach and chill or are they looking for tourism and night activity like music, foodie spots?

There are lots of beautiful beaches on Gulf coast, south of Tampa with some real retro style hotels and quiet beaches.

I can't help you much with the nightlife. Most of the places I've been have some laid back type night life. Some live music on the beach front type deals. Perfect for me and my wife. But a genuine big city club hopper would think oh this is totally lousy.

I can't help you much with the nightlife. Most of the places I've been have some laid back type night life. Some live music on the beach front type deals. Perfect for me and my wife. But a genuine big city club hopper would think oh this is totally lousy.
I think that sounds perfect, she actually isn’t a big city person, and w3 live so close to NYC and Philadelphia. What is Fort Myers like? Airfare is only $200.

What about Clearwater Beach? Fly into Tampa.

Oh I hear you, you couldn't pay me to go there, just saying if they were dead set on it, at least do what you can to protect yourself.

Do they just want to lounge on the beach and chill or are they looking for tourism and night activity like music, foodie spots?

There are lots of beautiful beaches on Gulf coast, south of Tampa with some real retro style hotels and quiet beaches.
I think both. They love swimming, hiking, and I would call them foodies. So far, they’ve gone down the shore, niagra falls, skiing in Vermont, all airb&b’s. When they go to the city, it’s usually to comedy clubs (but maybe because they’re not expensive). She is pretty frugal, nothing fancy (she’s been rough camping several times on Lake Michigan and loved it, no running water or electricity).

I think that sounds perfect, she actually isn’t a big city person, and w3 live so close to NYC and Philadelphia. What is Fort Myers like? Airfare is only $200.

At that age make sure they plan to be without a car, as generally car rental agencies will not allow drivers that young. I personally wasn't thrilled with Fort Myers, but loved Sanibel and Captiva Islands right there.

We did a long weekend to Fort Meyers in February because of the cheap airfare. I think we were the youngest people on our flight, lol. For some reason, snowbirding didn't come to mind when booking the trip, though that is essentially what we were doing for the weekend. We stayed in the southern Fort Meyers area for free with hotel points. We spent a day biking all over Captiva and Sanibel islands. We spent another day exploring the Everglades area. I think a younger group may like the Fort Meyers Beach area. It was too much for us, and I am glad we did not stay there, but 20 years ago we probably would have liked it more. I think it would be easy to get around that strip area without a car because of the trolley. You can even take a boat out to Key West. If we had more time we would have done that.

Ft. Myers itself is on the river there. You have to go out to some of the Islands and beaches nearby. But there are lots of things to do. The beach is nice.

But be advised. If the lake Okeechobee algae is in bloom, it goes right through there. That area can also get hit by red tide (another algae.)

The Beaches near St. Petersburg are nice too. Clearwater.

Last edited:

Clearwater Beach!!! Fly into Tampa and if they don't want to rent a car, there are several private car services they can hire that shuttle people back and forth between Tampa airport and Clearwater. Beautiful beach (#1 in the country this year), tons of shopping, restaurants and nightlife all within walking distance. If they rent a car, they can venture to other areas like Johns Pass or into Tampa as well. DH and I are in our early 30s and from upstate NY and we love going there. Several people I work with who are in their mid-20s vacation there regularly with their significant others as well.

Costco and AAA always have cheap deals to DR..but I've never wanted to go there..it's like one of the last places on my list.

My husband and I favor tropical beaches more island like but if on a real strict tinier budget I'd stick with looking in the south or southeast (FL, AL, GA, Carolinas) provided airfare was reasonable or if they had enough time they could opt to do driving.

Husband went to the Keys years ago and liked it. Mother-in-law talks about wanting to go to Gulf Shores, AL all the time. Carolinas are featured a lot on house hunting shows it seems like lol

At that age make sure they plan to be without a car, as generally car rental agencies will not allow drivers that young. I personally wasn't thrilled with Fort Myers, but loved Sanibel and Captiva Islands right there.
Lol her boyfriend is 27, switched majors and is finishing up his degree in film production. DH even just joked that at least they can rent a car!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter