Looking for ideas/help

Xx_Kora_xX

Earning My Ears
Hello fellow friends! I posted this on reddit, but didn't get a ton of response so I figured I would try here as well. I'm hoping I could get some ideas or a little advice on proposing to my girlfriend while we are at DL on our upcoming trip. I'm trying to avoid doing it in front of the castle, mainly because it's just not for us. She's previously mentioned that she doesn't want something super public, but if some people happen to be around when it happens, that's fine, just not a crowd. And as crazy as it sounds, photopass photographers being around are not important. I've searched the internet, reddit, blogs, forums, everything and I'm just not coming up with any stories of what I have in my head. She just recently got into the pin trading thing, and I managed to find an old pin of Mickey proposing to Minnie that I want to incorporate into the proposal. I was really hoping to be able to find a place at DL that has a pin board that could take my pin, and do something on the board that says something like "Marry Me?" out of pins and use the proposal pin in there somewhere. Then when we stopped by the location, they pull out the board for us and then I present her with the ring (and the pin). This would obviously take a lot of planning and coordinating and would have to be done first thing in the morning (which isn't an issue, we will be there at rope drop). I found one proposal story of someone that had done something similar to this and they had help from Disney, but it was from 2005 and from what I understand now, Disney is a little more focused on trying to sell me an engagement package than just help out. *edit: She sprung it one me over the weekend that we now have a breakfast reservation at 8am the morning I was planning on doing the proposal, so this idea may be out of the question.*

I have read plenty of ideas of just walking up to a CM that has a pin lanyard and handing them the pin and giving them a quick "I want to propose to my girlfriend, can you help out?" type of thing, but I'm having a lot of trouble seeing how I would be able to steal myself away from her, as we very rarely separate from each other when we are there. I'm sure I will be able to make this happen fairly easily, but I was really hoping for something with a little more pizzazz. I do have a backup plan to do it at the Wishing Well first thing in the morning when it's not very crowded, but I'm struggling with that too, as it would be completely out of the ordinary for me to just lead her over to a spot we've never searched out before.

I know everyone says it, but I just want it to be special. I do know that no matter what I decide to do, it will be special for us and the how doesn't really matter. It's the end result that matters the most. And yes, we picked out her ring together, so she's aware of this happening, and I suspect she knows that I'm planning on doing this, but she doesn't know when or how. So, any current CM's out there or anyone else with some DL knowledge that could provide me with some advice?

Does it have to be at a pin trading site? You could make a TS reservation, e.g. Napa Rose -- either Chef's Counter or Dining Room (or if it has to be in the morning, how about springing for the princess breakfast?), and ask to have the pin worked in to a special dessert plate. We've seen the dessert chefs at NR write "Will You Marry Me?" in chocolate script around a plate with the ring in the center of the plate. Something like that can be very fun.

Last edited:
You may not want to overthink it. When you are actually there, you may see an opportunity for something that you can't prethink. No matter what you decide, it will be special and memorable.

I have read plenty of ideas of just walking up to a CM that has a pin lanyard and handing them the pin and giving them a quick "I want to propose to my girlfriend, can you help out?" type of thing, but I'm having a lot of trouble seeing how I would be able to steal myself away from her, as we very rarely separate from each other when we are there.
Is it possible to have her buy a drink or a churro nearby and say you just want a quick peek at the pins? Or, even say you are headed to the restroom? Something that will give you a quick minute or two away like that?
I do have a backup plan to do it at the Wishing Well first thing in the morning when it's not very crowded, but I'm struggling with that too, as it would be completely out of the ordinary for me to just lead her over to a spot we've never searched out before.
Perhaps you can say that you saw some baby ducks go that way and you want to go see them. Or, tell her that you heard that singing comes from there and you want to go listen for it before it gets too crowded and noisy to hear.

Where is your breakfast reservation? That might be an easy spot to do it.

Where is your breakfast reservation? If they are a character location the Photopass photographers have been great about helping out with this type of thing in the past. A quick run to the restroom would allow you to track down a cast member and get some help.

It doesn't have to be a pin trading site at all. I know there are tons of CM's that walk around with pins on their lanyards, as that's usually who we trade with. I was trying to keep a few details secret just in case she came across this site, I didn't want her to figure out that this was for her. But I don't think she knows about this place... yet! But we're going on my birthday, and we already have dinner reservations that night at Carnation Cafe, since that's what I picked for my dinner (who says no to a birthday beignet?!). And to make matters more complicated, I have a strong feeling that this is going to be a double proposal trip... I just wanted to do it early in the morning so I didn't have the ring burning a hole in my pocket the whole time. The struggles of love... :cutie:

Where is your breakfast reservation? If they are a character location the Photopass photographers have been great about helping out with this type of thing in the past. A quick run to the restroom would allow you to track down a cast member and get some help.
The reservation is at the Plaza Inn. I know that the characters usually try and stay out of actual proposals, which is completely fine. This may end up being a fly by the seat of my pants moment, which is really out of character (pardon the pun) for me. Doing it on my actual birthday is probably very selfish, but she's my world, and her agreeing to be my wife is the best birthday gift she could ever give me.

... But we're going on my birthday, and we already have dinner reservations that night at Carnation Cafe, since that's what I picked for my dinner (who says no to a birthday beignet?!)...
Do you mean Cafe Orleans? CC doesn't have beignets on the menu, although they are a fun place to dine. You could order a custom cake with a proposal written on it to be delivered to your birthday dinner (since it will be your birthday, she wouldn't necessarily suspect anything with a special cake being delivered to your table) -- ask your server to place the pin on the cake/right in front of the cake before serving it to your table.

You may not want to overthink it. When you are actually there, you may see an opportunity for something that you can't prethink. No matter what you decide, it will be special and memorable.

Is it possible to have her buy a drink or a churro nearby and say you just want a quick peek at the pins? Or, even say you are headed to the restroom? Something that will give you a quick minute or two away like that?
Perhaps you can say that you saw some baby ducks go that way and you want to go see them. Or, tell her that you heard that singing comes from there and you want to go listen for it before it gets too crowded and noisy to hear.

Where is your breakfast reservation? That might be an easy spot to do it.
Reservation is at the Plaza Inn. I'm thinking that I'm going to have to wait until she uses the restroom after breakfast and steal a CM for some help. Makes for a tight window, but that's a chance I'm willing to take. I do like your idea of trying to get her over to the wishing well via ducks. We've never seen the wishing well, and I did kind of think that after breakfast to just start walking down that path and then be like "Oh! This is cute!" and just playing it by ear from there. So many variables. I think you're right about not trying to overthink it...

Do you mean Cafe Orleans? CC doesn't have beignets on the menu, although they are a fun place to dine. You could order a custom cake with a proposal written on it to be delivered to your birthday dinner (since it will be your birthday, she wouldn't necessarily suspect anything with a special cake being delivered to your table) -- ask your server to place the pin on the cake/right in front of the cake before serving it to your table.
Oh jeez! Yes, Cafe Orleans! :blush: And I had mentioned something about having a cake delivered at dinner, but not wanting to carry it around the rest of the night and she pretty much yelled at me to stop looking into birthday add-on's, lol. Could you imagine me ordering a proposal cake, and her ordering a birthday cake (or another proposal cake, who knows what she's planning) and then having two cakes to share with the rest of the restaurant!?Do you know how big the cakes actually are? I had heard they are $65, accurate or am I thinking of something else?

...Do you know how big the cakes actually are? I had heard they are $65, accurate or am I thinking of something else?
I think the smallest cakes are 6" layer cakes? You can call the Dine Line (714-781-DINE) to ask for all the details. People post that they put the leftovers in a locker for the rest of the night -- the locker area has a/c, so the cake can survive for a few hours.

I think the smallest cakes are 6" layer cakes? You can call the Dine Line (714-781-DINE) to ask for all the details. People post that they put the leftovers in a locker for the rest of the night -- the locker area has a/c, so the cake can survive for a few hours.
Thank you for that! I had no idea about the lockers. I will give them a call later today and see what information they can give me. We fly out the next morning, so we may be eating some cake for breakfast and then carrying the rest on the plane, haha!

Here's another idea: since you'll be at CO, someone posted here that he proposed at CO with a custom painted parasol. The parasol cart is right outside CO. He asked for a parasol painted with "Will You Marry Me?" and presented it to his now fiancée at the meal. You could ask for a custom parasol and pin the special pin on it so that it is seen when the parasol is opened. Just order the parasol earlier in the day -- excuse yourself to go to the restroom or something like that.

This is very exciting! I like your pin idea. But if anything I suggest you pick a place in disneyland that you both really like, or at least a land. Personally I like the ambiance in adventure land where Tarzan' s tree house is. Use the pin where ever you pick, propose with it then if she says yes, pin the ring on her lanyard if she has one then present the ring :). Good luck .

Thank you for that! I had no idea about the lockers. I will give them a call later today and see what information they can give me. We fly out the next morning, so we may be eating some cake for breakfast and then carrying the rest on the plane, haha!
You won't be the first ones to do this at DLR -- cake: the breakfast of champions! And we've eaten our own cake, including wedding cake, on planes before -- much to the envy of our fellow pasengers!

Here's another idea: since you'll be at CO, someone posted here that he proposed at CO with a custom painted parasol. The parasol cart is right outside CO. He asked for a parasol painted with "Will You Marry Me?" and presented it to his now fiancée at the meal. You could ask for a custom parasol and pin the special pin on it so that it is seen when the parasol is opened. Just order the parasol earlier in the day -- excuse yourself to go to the restroom or something like that.
That's a great idea, too! I will look into this as well. I know about the caricature ideas, and she just showed me one last week. So she would be on to me if we did that one. You guys are really giving me some awesome help here. I can't thank you all enough. Keep the ideas flowing!

This is very exciting! I like your pin idea. But if anything I suggest you pick a place in disneyland that you both really like, or at least a land. Personally I like the ambiance in adventure land where Tarzan' s tree house is. Use the pin where ever you pick, propose with it then if she says yes, pin the ring on her lanyard if she has one then present the ring :). Good luck .
The hard part about picking a favorite place is that every place is our favorite place! I did pre-propose to her a few years ago in WDW on a little side path leading from Main Street to Tomorrowland. We stopped just past the Tommorwland Terrace, and had this beautiful view of the castle. No one around, just the two of us, and I presented her with a promise ring. Said a few words about wanting to walk into Tomorrowland each day with her (it was cheesy and I was nervous). So, Tomorrowland does have a bit of a special place with us... Now you may have me thinking about working that in somehow...

The hard part about picking a favorite place is that every place is our favorite place! I did pre-propose to her a few years ago in WDW on a little side path leading from Main Street to Tomorrowland. We stopped just past the Tommorwland Terrace, and had this beautiful view of the castle. No one around, just the two of us, and I presented her with a promise ring. Said a few words about wanting to walk into Tomorrowland each day with her (it was cheesy and I was nervous). So, Tomorrowland does have a bit of a special place with us... Now you may have me thinking about working that in somehow...
That's adorable! And ooo tomorrowland I love it! May I suggest walking up the little star wars loading dock museum right next to space mountain . Going up might provide a nice view of the park (suggest a night proposal). Ooooo or also yow anout this, you can always ask to see the captains quarters on the mark as in boat and propose there. Just ask a cast member and tell them about your proposal they might help out :). Very private and a great little ride to see the park .

That's adorable! And ooo tomorrowland I love it! May I suggest walking up the little star wars loading dock museum right next to space mountain . Going up might provide a nice view of the park (suggest a night proposal). Ooooo or also how about this, you can always ask to see the captains quarters on the mark twain boat and propose there. Just ask a cast member and tell them about your proposal they might help out :). Very private and a great little ride to see the park .

That's adorable! And ooo tomorrowland I love it! May I suggest walking up the little star wars loading dock museum right next to space mountain . Going up might provide a nice view of the park (suggest a night proposal). Ooooo or also yow anout this, you can always ask to see the captains quarters on the mark as in boat and propose there. Just ask a cast member and tell them about your proposal they might help out :). Very private and a great little ride to see the park .
The boat idea is fantastic! We've never done the ride, so it might be easy to suggest. I'm a sucker for puns and word play, so I could work in some words about being inspired by Mark Twain and wanting to write our own story together... I just looked it up and I think you may have just sealed the deal for me. This would be completely unexpected by her and fits into all of the things we love. Waterfalls, scenic river view, nature... Now the hard part will be trying to get away from her to talk to a CM.

The boat idea is fantastic! We've never done the ride, so it might be easy to suggest. I'm a sucker for puns and word play, so I could work in some words about being inspired by Mark Twain and wanting to write our own story together... I just looked it up and I think you may have just sealed the deal for me. This would be completely unexpected by her and fits into all of the things we love. Waterfalls, scenic river view, nature... Now the hard part will be trying to get away from her to talk to a CM.
Maybe send her to get a churro :p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!