Looking for impressions on new free backstage tours at Rafiki's Planet Watch: TOURS ENDED MAY 19th!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i wonder how this tour will impact the backstage tales tour? looks like this free one is probably 20- 25% of it judging by the tour we took last year.

While talking to our CM Mel and her supervisor (forgot his name!) before our tour, they told us that Backstage Tales is “on hiatus” since January 1. They’re not sure whether it will come back or not. These new tours do cover the same territory overall but any single tour visits only 2 of the 4 locations, and the visits are a lot shorter (the entire tour is 45 minutes). So maybe this will replace Backstage Tales - I got the impression that they aren’t quite sure yet.

Thanks for sharing this. I have my fingers crossed that it will continue (and continue to be all ages) through May because it is right up my son's alley.

I'll keep mine crossed too for May-I'd LOVE to do this tour. My concern is is this tour accessible to those of us in/on ECVs? I can walk short distances and go up and down stairs with my cane. I really want to do this tour. Headed out on the first train to Rafiki's Planet Watch during our trip in May!

I'll keep mine crossed too for May-I'd LOVE to do this tour. My concern is is this tour accessible to those of us in/on ECVs? I can walk short distances and go up and down stairs with my cane. I really want to do this tour. Headed out on the first train to Rafiki's Planet Watch during our trip in May!

We visited the medical facility in the main building and the nutrition center a short walk away. We didn’t climb any stairs, and as far as I can remember both were ECV accessible, or only a short walk from the doorway if the ECV were parked outside. I don’t know how accessible the invertebrates building is, but I believe the Science Center is in the main building too.

I really hope they keep doing this all year! Or at least until the first week of June!!

I'm sorry I'm jumping into this thread and wanted to know how do you sign up for this and when are the tours offered? We're going in May and this would be a nice change to our usual routine!

I'm sorry I'm jumping into this thread and wanted to know how do you sign up for this and when are the tours offered? We're going in May and this would be a nice change to our usual routine!
Post #3 has all the info. :)

Well folks, I did it this Monday! It was great. Our guide was an expert biologist with many years of experience at AK and at the New England Aquarium (my hometown aquarium!) and Sea World who was very knowledgeable and answered all questions thoroughly. We went to the nutrition center and vet center. It's kind of hard to find where you sign up- it's next to the Wilderness Explorers area. They have a little 8.5x11'' sign and that's it. The sign said they only allow 14 people, not 16 for some reason. Our tour was not full- maybe 10 people, all adults. If you are under 18 you must have someone 18+ accompanying you (I believe it has to be a parent/guardian but I can't remember). The tour lasted a little longer than advertised- around 35 minutes. The guide explained that they were doing this because management was thinking that the original 3.5 hour Backstage Tails tour was too long for most guests, so they are trying out this pilot program. You can fill out an optional paper survey at the end.

Highly recommended!

Well folks, I did it this Monday! It was great. Our guide was an expert biologist with many years of experience at AK and at the New England Aquarium (my hometown aquarium!) and Sea World who was very knowledgeable and answered all questions thoroughly. We went to the nutrition center and vet center. It's kind of hard to find where you sign up- it's next to the Wilderness Explorers area. They have a little 8.5x11'' sign and that's it. The sign said they only allow 14 people, not 16 for some reason. Our tour was not full- maybe 10 people, all adults. If you are under 18 you must have someone 18+ accompanying you (I believe it has to be a parent/guardian but I can't remember). The tour lasted a little longer than advertised- around 35 minutes. The guide explained that they were doing this because management was thinking that the original 3.5 hour Backstage Tails tour was too long for most guests, so they are trying out this pilot program. You can fill out an optional paper survey at the end.

Highly recommended!

So glad you enjoyed and reported on it. I’m hoping word will spread so that this tour is still operating when we’re back in October and January - I want to do it again!

When we were there we talked with one of the supervisors and recommended that the “intro to Rafiki’s Planet Watch” spiel on the train include a mention of these tours. He wrote it down but I guess our suggestion hasn’t been implemented. I hope it continues to be well-attended as yours was.

So glad you enjoyed and reported on it. I’m hoping word will spread so that this tour is still operating when we’re back in October and January - I want to do it again!

When we were there we talked with one of the supervisors and recommended that the “intro to Rafiki’s Planet Watch” spiel on the train include a mention of these tours. He wrote it down but I guess our suggestion hasn’t been implemented. I hope it continues to be well-attended as yours was.
They probably wouldn't it put it on the train recording because there's a limit of 14 people and they would easily exceed that if they did.

I also did this last weekend. I took the train out around 10:30 to sign up in advance for the 3:45 tour (I had Wild Africa Trek from 11:45-2:45). Turns out I didn’t need to worry about that, as I was the first one on the sheet and they still allowed people to sign up right before the tour (I think even exceeded the 14 person number by a couple spots).

We ended up going to invertebrates (bugs) and Vet center. I was hoping for nutrition, but I guess they finish up there earlier in the day and need to sterilize all the floors so tours aren’t the best idea! The tour guide does have a listing of which tours go to which places, so you can ask.

My guide was Katie from Pasadena. I don’t think I’ve ever met someone who loved her job more! Her excitement was infectious and she kept giving more and more info so the full tour ended up being closer to 1 hr than 30 minutes. We also had someone on an electric scooter, so know that is allowed (I think he left it in hallway in vet hospital though).

At the vet they actually brought in a bird with injured beak, and we were allowed to look over their shoulders as they examined it. The vet came over to our group to explain what was going on too.

All in all it was fun and interesting.

I guess I should mention that I signed up for the 11:45 AM tour about 5-10 minutes before (I ran to the train to get there in time!!) and I was the 4th person on the list. Half of the people on the tour signed up just a few minutes beforehand. Wouldn't worry too much about it filling up.

Are these tours still happening? Any word if they will continue through Easter?

Our group of 4 adults did this tour last week and all highly recommend it. We don't enjoy the 'preachy' theme of Rafiki's Planet Watch so wouldn't have made the trip if I hadn't heard about the tour on these boards. We signed up about 15 minutes before the tour started, and were joined by 5 other people. We were led by Dan, a fun, enthusiastic and knowledgeable guide. We saw the nutrition area, talked to the employees there, then went to vet hospital and a kind vet showed us a naked mole rat who'd just had surgery. If you're able to see a procedure or an animal, that elevates the tour to a higher level of enjoyment, in my opinion. Have fun - enjoy it while it's free!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter