Looking for Lentil Salad recipe and Black Bean soup recipe

BeautyLLM

<font color=blue>Beauty'ful!<br><font color=magent
I guess I am on a legume kick lately...if you have any good recipes for either on of these I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

Leslie

Ingredients:
2½ C black beans
1 qt chicken stock and 2 qt water
6 oz salt pork
2 C onion, chopped
1 C celery, chopped
1 C carrot, chopped
1 bay leaf, crumbled
3 whole cloves
1/2 t crushed red pepper
a pinch of mace
1 T vinegar
1 C sherry
salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste hard-boiled egg or lemon slices

Method:
Wash, then soak the beans overnight in enough water to cover them. Drain.
Add the beans to a soup pot with the chicken stock, water and salt pork.
Bring to a boil and skim off any foam. Reduce the heat and simmer for two
hours.

Add the chopped vegetables, herbs and spices. Continue simmering for
another two hours. Puree the soup in a food mill, blender, or food
processor, a little at a time. Return the soup to its pot, then add the vinegar
and sherry Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot, garnished with the egg
or lemon slices.

Lentil salad - yum! It's funny that you are looking for this salad because I saw a lentil salad with orzo in Shop Rite today. It looked good, but I didn't buy any of it.

Here are some recipes that I found for you.

Mediterranean Lentil Salad

Ingredients
1 cup dry brown lentils
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup red onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 cup diced celery
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup olive oil

Directions
1 In a saucepan combine lentils, carrots, onion, garlic, bay leaf, and thyme. Add enough water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes or until lentils are tender but not mushy.
2 Drain lentils and vegetables and remove bay leaf. Add olive oil, lemon juice, celery, parsley, salt and pepper. Toss to mix and serve at room temperature.

Found that one here: http://www.vegetarianrecipe.com/AZ/MoroccanLentilSalad.asp

Lentil salad with feta cheese

A great legume and cheese salad.
1 rinsed 15 oz can cooked lentils
1 pint cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
1/3 cup Feta cheese
1 tbsp fresh chives, chopped
1/2 chopped cup fresh cilantro
1 tsp olive oil

Combine ingredients in a bowl and keep chilled until ready to serve. Serves 2.

Tip: Making the salad the day before serving allows the flavors to blend nicely.
Substitution tip: Instead of the canned lentils, you can use dried lentils that you've soaked overnight.

I found that one here: http://www.plovdivcityguide.com/foods/feta/recipes/lentil-salad.html

Black bean soup is one of my absolute favorites...I make it all the time...here is the general recipe.

3 or 4 cans black beans, 2-3 cups water, 4-5 beef boullion cubes, 1 onion, 1 green pepper, pepper, salt, garlic to taste, 1-2 cans diced tomatoes, cumin, oregano(just a bit), as much hot sauce as you want (I use Cholula for this), and very last, 1 good bunch of cilantro, chopped up.

Add everything except cilantro and let cook a good 3 hours. let the liquid reduce at least half for a really rich flavor. About a half hour before you serve it, turn it off and add the cilantro. I've found that adding it early adds so much to the flavor, but cooking it with the soup will erase the flavor completely. Don't ask me why.

When you serve it, top it with a dallop of sour cream and some more cilantro, some hot sauce if you like and few sprigs of cilantro.

I tell ya, this is my version of heaven on a cool night, with hot corn bread and honey...

Try it just once... :D

Darn...now I have to go to the store...I gotta have some of this :)

Have a great night!

Thanks Beth, Robin and Pumba!!! Can't wait to try these recipes. Look out family....we're having beans!!!!!!

Leslie

1 large onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
3 (15 oz)cans of black beans, drained, rinsed
1 (28 oz) can of whole tomatoes, undrained, cut up
1 (14.5 oz) can of diced tomatoes, undrained
2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
3/4 teaspoon cumin

Spray nonstick dutch oven with nonstick cooking spray. Heat over medium heat until hot. Add onion, garlic; cover and cook 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add all remaining ingredients; mix well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 8 to 10 minutes to blend flavors, stirring occasionally.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter