Looking for opinions on the Brown Derby

jlb

Mouseketeer
We booked the Brown Derby for one night on our trip, I was wondering what people thought of it for dinner....we will have an 18 mo and a 3 yo with us.

Thanks

We do not have children, so I can't tell you about that side of things, but we REALLY enjoyed our dinner at the Brown Derby last month. Our meals were delicious, and service was great.

I have a 6 year old and 2 year old and we have dined there in the past. The 2 year old had pasta and butter while the 6 year old had grouper fingers. Everyone seem the enjoy themselves. The Brown Derby, Sci-Fi Drive in and Mama Melrose are the best places to eat in MGM.:bounce:

We love the Brown Derby. It's a mustdo on every trip, while I don't have little ones, I have DS 16 who I think is tougher then little ones. He likes it.

We do use the Brown Derby for FDP. Makes it well worth it.

Another vote here for Brown Derby - great food and some of the best service in WDW if you can get better than the best;)

Gotta love that Grapefruit cake - leave room!

The Derby is still a good spot to eat, but I liked it better prior to the Fantasmic "era". Used to be a lot more of a pleasant place to eat dinner--even had a piano player entertaining, and a bar that was actually open!! Nowadays, it's become sort of a pre-fantasmic feeding hole, with a large # of guests not there really for a good meal, but because they need to eat at this restaurant so they can take advantage of the FDP.
Always sad to see folks screaming for their checks BEFORE they even place an order--everyone looking at their watch so they won't be late for Fantasmic!!
These days, when we eat at the Derby, we always do so at a time when the Fantasmic frenzy has abated. A much more pleasant time to eat !!

I think we got caught up in that frenzy Uncleromulus was talking about, without even knowing it. The restaurant was great looking (cool atmosphere/theming) and I think I remember that the food was good, but our server was sooo grumpy that it turned us off to the whole experience. I think my DD got macaroni & cheese and liked it (to answer your question about kid friendly-ness...and they have high chairs). It was just the service that was so disappointing....very slow, but whenever the waiter did appear at our table he seemed rushed and annoyed (and we are very laid back...we did not put any pressure on him!).

I would try it again because I think it could be a great place, as long as you don't get a very grumpy server ;)

It should be fine for the kids, but there is a wait even with PS so try to pick an off time.

Good luck & enjoy!

I think the frenzy starts because there is such a wait even with P.S. ahving known this on our last trip (July) we arrived early and still waited 40min. well worth it!! It was our best meal that trip.

Great service our waiter did not even get annoyed when DD and I split the surf and turf LOL! Our DS left early and when he brought out our 100yr. dessert and we commented on the fact that our DS loved Sorcerer Mickey he brought us out an extra chocolate hat in a cup to go.

Enjoy:bounce: :Pinkbounc

My Dh and I love teh Brown Derby. I would agree that the atmosphere has gone downhill since they introduced the FDP. It used to be a nice, quiet place to have a fantastic meal.

What we usually do these days is to have lunch at the Derby. This upcoming trip, we will be doing the FDP with family, and felt that the H&V would be better considering the ages of my nephews.

We brought my DD to BD when she was 5 months old. Our waitress called herself "Grammy" and would entertain Vanessa everytime she walked by our table. Vanessa didn't *need* to be entertained, but "Grammy's" antics made her laugh everytime.

--Kathy

We ate lunch at Brown Derby in January, and had a great meal. I had the Cobb Salad, and DH had the BBQ Chicken Salad. Both were huge portions! The prices are a bit high, but the quality was good, as was the service. We would definitely eat there again!

We love the Brown Derbv, it is our favorite restaurant at MGM. The food is very good and it is a very nice atmosphere but it has gotten a lot busier since the FDP was introduced. I love the filet and the cobb salad and also the grouper and the grapefruit cake and the tuna, heck everything I have ever had there has been wonderful. I do miss the piano player though.

I was there last month with three other Kdg. teachers. We were there for FDP. PS for 4:50.We waited less than five minutes to be seated. Excellent service, Food was great ! Especially the vanilla bean creme brulee. If I hadn't been in public ,I might have licked the bowl. It was sooooo good.
I will say that we too liked the atmosphere before the advent of FDP better. I remember the elegant woman who played the piano wearing gloves very fondly.
I don't think you will regret dining there.

One thing that has not been mentioned is that you are not rushed out. Went there with the Mrs. and another couple, between dinner and dessert we were there over 2 hours. No problem.:jester:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter